Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Okay how do I arrange things so I can revoke a title without tyranny? I've got a heretic Duke, demanded his conversion, he refused, I imprisoned him with no issues, but I still get a tyranny penalty if I revoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Daktar posted:

Okay how do I arrange things so I can revoke a title without tyranny? I've got a heretic Duke, demanded his conversion, he refused, I imprisoned him with no issues, but I still get a tyranny penalty if I revoke.

Forge a claim on his title and you can revoke without tyranny. If he's imprisoned he can't even revolt over it.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Is there any benefit to moving capitals to the de jure capital of your title or does it not really matter?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ithle01 posted:

Why would you want to make your vassals' territory better? Just put it in your capitol and that's it. If you have one country with multiple baronies in it that you personally own I can see that being worthwhile, but generally just slap your stewards down and ignore them or use them to boost taxes or to culture convert.

I have a second duchy on the other side of the empire where I own all the counties.

Also I would like to have a faster tech rate

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Daktar posted:

Keep him in jail and use your bishop to get a claim. He can't do anything in prison, and once you have the claim you'll be able to revoke without tyranny.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

hopeandjoy posted:

Is there any benefit to moving capitals to the de jure capital of your title or does it not really matter?

It doesn't particularly seem to matter on its own, but capital holdings seem to tend to sit in “better” counties and/or have more improvement slots (along with duchy building spots and the occasional special-purpose slot), so there's always that. Basically, you get more for your demesne/duchy limit buck.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have a second duchy on the other side of the empire where I own all the counties.

Also I would like to have a faster tech rate

The benefits from increasing development take decades or even centuries to come to fruition, but this is really going to depend on the development difference between the two areas of your domain. If one is high and the other is really low it can be worth doing. It's also worth developing if one area has a special building that gives great benefits like most of the holy sites with their great cathedrals that have +2.0 tax on them.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Does having the Possessed trait give any unique events, or is it just treated like any other negative modifier?

Also the warscore thing for helping an ally out definitely needs some attention - I've had multiple wars now where I've done all the heavy lifting and got 0% score. At least you don't get a diplomatic penalty as long as you accepted the request.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Blimpkin posted:

Keep him in jail and use your bishop to get a claim. He can't do anything in prison, and once you have the claim you'll be able to revoke without tyranny.

the answer to most any problem with a noble is imprisoning them

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

toasterwarrior posted:

Nah but for real, trying to arrange late-game marriages was a chore because there's no actual filter option for weeding out inbred-eligible marriages. At least, if your Dynasty is widespread enough and you've been keeping up with making sure people inherit good traits.

I don't know how the game works, but surely the chances of getting the "inbred" trait must be very low for anything more distant than first-cousin marriage, no? It's probably fine.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't know how the game works, but surely the chances of getting the "inbred" trait must be very low for anything more distant than first-cousin marriage, no? It's probably fine.

No, I mean that in the marriage screen, if you try and marry two characters that are too closely-related, there will be an warning on the screen saying that they are such and thus might proc Inbred. There's no filter option for this, so you'll have to manually check every likely marriage option for the warning.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
If you marry outside your dynasty every other generation you'll pretty much never get inbred

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

This poor sod got outed as a bastard early in his life. After he came of age, he contracted leprosy. The treatment he received left him a maimed eunuch. And still leprous. On the plus side, that's one less child I have to disinherit.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah well all these other dynasties should be striving to engender more good congenital traits like I am too!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Well this is another consequence of going for the vassal limit

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

So every game I've played I have run into this incredibly frustrating issue and I am wondering if anyone has seen this/knows what to do. Eventually after I play for a while I will just be unable to load my save game. No matter what I do, launching as admin, using a cloud game, local game, whatever, it doesn't matter, loading it will crash the game, no message about why or what's going on, just game dead. I can start a new game perfectly fine, make a save, load it, no problem, so it's not my mods making the game unable to launch, and it's not me changing mods between sessions either. I'm at my wits end and this is really killing my ability to play the game so any help would be appreciated.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Eimi posted:

So every game I've played I have run into this incredibly frustrating issue and I am wondering if anyone has seen this/knows what to do. Eventually after I play for a while I will just be unable to load my save game. No matter what I do, launching as admin, using a cloud game, local game, whatever, it doesn't matter, loading it will crash the game, no message about why or what's going on, just game dead. I can start a new game perfectly fine, make a save, load it, no problem, so it's not my mods making the game unable to launch, and it's not me changing mods between sessions either. I'm at my wits end and this is really killing my ability to play the game so any help would be appreciated.

Without knowing any details, I'd start by looking at error.log in your Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III\Logs folder and see if your mods are loving anything up.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Magil Zeal posted:

Without knowing any details, I'd start by looking at error.log in your Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III\Logs folder and see if your mods are loving anything up.

Ah, I didn't know that even existed. I'd get the crash send error report thing, but when I hit send, it would just say it failed to send anything. What would I be looking for?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Eimi posted:

Ah, I didn't know that even existed. I'd get the crash send error report thing, but when I hit send, it would just say it failed to send anything. What would I be looking for?

I'd look for anything that references a file that's not in the root game folders.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The gently caress, this is so sick, all these vassals are scattered around with their trash 800 levies and my teleporting crossbowmen are just zipping around all of Africa like tier one operators blowing them up and capturing them

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
well I'm back to my game after a week, and somehow, two counties in southern England went to the Byzantines. anyway, I arranged a matrilineal marriage of the prince to someone in my House then successfully murdered the empress. I'm really hoping this marriage produces some kids in a few years so I can just shank the new emperor and have that stuff fall back into my family.

I have no idea if it'll work that way but what is this game if not convoluted schemes

e: ah, so...I think in killing the empress and leaving her 7 year old kid on the throne, I may have caused the Byzantine Empire to self-destruct. I got called to assist in a war of independence but before my army could make it to the area, the war failed. And like 25 of the empire's vassals became independent.

Skypie fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 20, 2020

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Magil Zeal posted:

I'd look for anything that references a file that's not in the root game folders.

It's giving me a lot of errors for mods I don't even have enabled. At least looking in ck3 -> crashes -> specific crash -> logs -> error

Also it's referencing saves I didn't try to load?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Eimi posted:

It's giving me a lot of errors for mods I don't even have enabled. At least looking in ck3 -> crashes -> specific crash -> logs -> error

Also it's referencing saves I didn't try to load?

Yeah, it does that for some reason. I'd remove any mods you don't have enabled from your "mod list" to see if you can't clear that out and narrow it down a bit.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Magil Zeal posted:

Yeah, it does that for some reason. I'd remove any mods you don't have enabled from your "mod list" to see if you can't clear that out and narrow it down a bit.

I've cleared it out to the only things showing an error are either referencing other saves or this

[19:05:35][pdx_parser_helpers.h:34]: Error: "Unexpected token: hidden_effect, near line: 368
" in file: "common/religion/doctrines/00_doctrines.txt" near line: 368
[19:05:35][pdx_parser_helpers.h:34]: Error: "Unexpected token: custom_description, near line: 2017
" in file: "common/religion/doctrines/00_doctrines.txt" near line: 2019
[19:05:35][pdx_parser_helpers.h:34]: Error: "Unexpected token: custom_description, near line: 2027
" in file: "common/religion/doctrines/00_doctrines.txt" near line: 2029

which since I've got several mods referencing religions...not very helpful.

Other things are like

[19:05:35][jomini_scriptvalue.h:446]: Cannot read [tier_count] as a script value
[19:05:55][dynasty.cpp:118]: Dynasty has no scripted valid source culture.

Which am just confused by what they mean, as none of this points to where exactly it is. But those are possible the only things causing the error?

And I mean for bonus weirdness, this is only for older save games. I can start up a new game just fine. Make a save there, just fine. I'd presume however after two days of playing I'd get this same stupid issue.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You could try playing without mods

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Eimi posted:

I've cleared it out to the only things showing an error are either referencing other saves or this

[19:05:35][pdx_parser_helpers.h:34]: Error: "Unexpected token: hidden_effect, near line: 368
" in file: "common/religion/doctrines/00_doctrines.txt" near line: 368
[19:05:35][pdx_parser_helpers.h:34]: Error: "Unexpected token: custom_description, near line: 2017
" in file: "common/religion/doctrines/00_doctrines.txt" near line: 2019
[19:05:35][pdx_parser_helpers.h:34]: Error: "Unexpected token: custom_description, near line: 2027
" in file: "common/religion/doctrines/00_doctrines.txt" near line: 2029

which since I've got several mods referencing religions...not very helpful.

Other things are like

[19:05:35][jomini_scriptvalue.h:446]: Cannot read [tier_count] as a script value

Which am just confused by what they mean, as none of this points to where exactly it is. But those are possible the only things causing the error?

And I mean for bonus weirdness, this is only for older save games. I can start up a new game just fine. Make a save there, just fine. I'd presume however after two days of playing I'd get this same stupid issue.

This is a problem when modders actually name their files the same as they are in the base game, it's hard to tell which mod is using what, it's why my mod has mz_doctrines.txt instead of 00_doctrines.txt :v:

I will say though that the base 00_doctrines.txt file only has a little over 1100 lines of code, so it's probably one of the bigger mods that adds a ton of new doctrines if it's referencing something on line 2029. I can't say with 100% certainty that it's breaking there but I could easily see it breaking down if they closed something important in brackets that began with custom_description, since that can be used to encapsulate triggers that the game doesn't understand how to generate a tooltip for.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 20, 2020

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Is there any way sans :blastu: to break someone else’s betrothal? My niece, the duchess of Kent, decided to get bethrothed to some no name rear end in a top hat. Which is fine if she did it matrilineal but she did not because she’s a goddamn idiot just like her parents.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So now that I've got the HRE switched to primogeniture... what can I do with it? Can you reform the Roman Empire in this game too?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

So now that I've got the HRE switched to primogeniture... what can I do with it? Can you reform the Roman Empire in this game too?

You can. And you can do it as the HRE, Byzantine Empire, or Italia. You'd need to take on the Byzantine Empire to do it as the HRE.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Trevor Hale posted:

Is there any way sans :blastu: to break someone else’s betrothal? My niece, the duchess of Kent, decided to get bethrothed to some no name rear end in a top hat. Which is fine if she did it matrilineal but she did not because she’s a goddamn idiot just like her parents.

Invite either of them to your court, then you can break it. If your niece wasn't landed, you could ask her, but since she is you should probably try to befriend her fiancée, then ask him over.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
everytime I succeed in getting a member of my dynasty on another throne, they last like 3 generations tops until a woman inherits and then non-matrilineally marry the nearest clod :<

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Another small nitpick: I wish that when people called you into wars it was clearer about what the hell the war is about. You have to click through like 5 screens to figure out what county they're talking about and whether they're defending it or trying to take it.

One cause of this is the way wars are titled. It's really weird that a king would ask you to join the war "against the tyranny of" himself, or a "liberty war" when it's somebody else wanting liberty from him. Surely he'd think of it in different terms than that. And if he is himself a vassal, he might be asking you to defend him against his vassals, or to help him attack his liege, and the war title will be the same either way.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Magil Zeal posted:

This is a problem when modders actually name their files the same as they are in the base game, it's hard to tell which mod is using what, it's why my mod has mz_doctrines.txt instead of 00_doctrines.txt :v:

I will say though that the base 00_doctrines.txt file only has a little over 1100 lines of code, so it's probably one of the bigger mods that adds a ton of new doctrines if it's referencing something on line 2029. I can't say with 100% certainty that it's breaking there but I could easily see it breaking down if they closed something important in brackets that began with custom_description, since that can be used to encapsulate triggers that the game doesn't understand how to generate a tooltip for.

Ugh what a mess, and since CK3 doesn't put mods into your mod folder I need to look through the steam workshop files. So would that be what's causing the crash? as opposed to the whole

nonsense?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

I really really wish ducal heirs were smarter about matrilineal marriages

edit: Lolol holy poo poo. 56 year old me lost my 64 year old wife. She was a brilliant lady who gave me one daughter. Daughter has had three kids already. I find a spouse based on attributes alone to teach all these kids and raise the next generation right so I find a 35 year old intelligent steward.

Well guess whose sperm is still strong and whose eggs weren’t all gone? And now I have a son and holy poo poo this complicates things.

Trevor Hale fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 20, 2020

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Eimi posted:

Ugh what a mess, and since CK3 doesn't put mods into your mod folder I need to look through the steam workshop files. So would that be what's causing the crash? as opposed to the whole

nonsense?

I usually use error.log to fix problems with my own mod, but I use it in a controlled environment to figure out exactly what is the issue. I don't really know what those two lines are referring to or if they're even mod problems, but I can say that running unmodded games for hundreds of years I haven't had any issues with my saves no longer working (cloud or not-cloud, non-ironman).

If you were going to try and narrow it down, typically what I'd do is remove all of my mods and start up new games with one mod enabled, one at a time, and check the error log to see if it's the one causing trouble.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Magil Zeal posted:

I usually use error.log to fix problems with my own mod, but I use it in a controlled environment to figure out exactly what is the issue. I don't really know what those two lines are referring to or if they're even mod problems, but I can say that running unmodded games for hundreds of years I haven't had any issues with my saves no longer working (cloud or not-cloud, non-ironman).

If you were going to try and narrow it down, typically what I'd do is remove all of my mods and start up new games with one mod enabled, one at a time, and check the error log to see if it's the one causing trouble.

Well that's the thing, new games work fine. I'd have to waste several hours/days playing to only find out the save doesn't work much later.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Eimi posted:

Well that's the thing, new games work fine. I'd have to waste several hours/days playing to only find out the save doesn't work much later.

Even with a new game that loads fine, it'll probably have the errors pop up in the log.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Oh god. I got her pregnant again and then died. I am now starting off as a 1 year old. This is going to be *wild*

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Magil Zeal posted:

Even with a new game that loads fine, it'll probably have the errors pop up in the log.

Checking the ck3 tech support forum a few other people are reporting this same issue, so it at least doesn't seem to be a problem of my concoction of mods. Sadly no one has a fix for it. And like it's just these save games. My game would be at 995 after starting in 867, but if I load a save from this characters mother, so 50 years back, that save actually works.

:iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
LOL. Seniority succession as Czech is broken. :/

Die. 65 year old French dude inherits. Culture not compatible and inheritance instantly switches to partition. Dude has no kids or heir. Can convert culture to czech, but can't switch succession law back because he's a new king and no one likes him. Dies. Literal game over.

It shouldn't work like that.

Also really frustrated with the fact that crusaders instantly switch to the local religion. Hoping we get a patch this week.

EDIT: Also, I'm confused by the number of baronies in some counties. Like... why is part of the Sinai desert a 5 barony county with way more potential then Alexandria with only 3?

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 20, 2020