Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Picked this game up yesterday and it kicks rear end. I’ve only made it to Elysium so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Minotaur is way easier to kill first. Thesius has multiple patterns in phase 2 and some of them can make your life suck, especially with a minotaur running around.

Speaking of them I just got to where Thesius says that him and the minotaur aren't buddies anymore and it made me really sad. I hope they make up!

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

man I knew this game was gonna be extremely my poo poo but drat it owns

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I've basically been using nothing but the spear. Haven't unlocked the fist yet. Spear is great because you get a lot of safety. I found an upgrade that makes the throw explode and then I pumped that with double damage and crits.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The nice thing about the weapons is that for most of them it is entirely possible to prioritize either the Attack or the Special on most aspects which really gives you a lot of flexibility depending on what you want to do.

The Shield's Special is a little weak but I think they really want you to be using Bull Charge which I just can't make much use of.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

veems posted:

Just learned that you can't stack Pierced Butterfly in the Styx mini-encounters...after not switching it out because "oh boy i can get so many stacks if i do all five rooms" :cripes:

I'd guess the same rules apply to Feather, but I haven't had a chance to test it.

Only the end room of each door counts.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I still laugh every time I pop Thesus with 3500 damage from using Mort right as he starts his second phase.

Sab Sabbington posted:

Literally same. That was such a loving smart call, and such a satisfying moment.

I wonder if it's different if you didn't slap Dad into the ground a crapload of times during Early Access. 70+ runs of smacking him down does a lot for expectations.

dmboogie posted:

when it’s charged up, you can dash instead of just releasing the attack button and itll do a sick moving spin attack

WHAT

I am upset that I didn't discover this after 70 hours of play.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I've decided that the Call I like the most is the Aphrodite one that does a nuke at full gauge.

I use it to instantly end Lernie when the second invincibility phase ends, funny as hell.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Do the Fists get better with a certain Aspect? I stopped playing Early Access before they were added. I just unlocked them and they sure feel awful with no aspect!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Default aspect is real strong with feather. Fists own, get good and get in

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Harold Fjord posted:

Default aspect is real strong with feather. Fists own, get good and get in

Also use the alternate dash from the mirror and you can dodge everything pretty much for 2 seconds when you dash out of the way of an attack.

If you use the feather from the start you can get:

20-24% dodge from the feather
15% dodge from the Zag aspect
50% dodge for 2 seconds from the dash
15% if you take the boon from Hermes that gives you dodge chance

It's wild how little damage I have taken from the last boss since starting with the feather.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm liking the fists, especially with the Hammer upgrade that gives you Sturdy while attacking or using the special.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Run a dodge fists build with Concentrated Knuckle.

Watch as the final boss just melts, unable to hit you.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Is the sword just not very good or am I doing it wrong? The spear seems a hundred times more effective.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
some of the multicolored highlights on the artwork look enough like graphical glitches to bother me

funny, never noticed it when the game was still in EA

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

JBP posted:

Is the sword just not very good or am I doing it wrong? The spear seems a hundred times more effective.

I've been having way better luck with the sword on a controller.

I also do better with bow with a mouse.

Sword got better once I figured that it's defense is its special. Big aoe with a little built in knockback. You move forward a bit so you can chain it to get through projectile spam.

This is also why the double hit but no knockback upgrade for it is tempting but has gotten me killed.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Do the Fists get better with a certain Aspect? I stopped playing Early Access before they were added. I just unlocked them and they sure feel awful with no aspect!

The Talos aspect is a lot of fun. You can yank the great majority of enemies right next to you for easy pickings, and the extra 40% damage at max rank is excellent against any target.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

JBP posted:

I think it's a personal preference thing, sword for me feels so much better than the spear.

I'm probably exaggerating a bit but this game might be one of the best games ever made, and certainly one of my favorite games of all time. I've never loved roguelikes but this does it perfectly, it hits a setting that I really enjoy, the story is just fantastic, the weapons are unique and fun, the music is perfect and the artwork is just tremendous. It's altogether just an unbelievable package - I've been playing it off and on since very early in early access and I just can't get enough. I wish more people were playing it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I think the big red sword triggers berserker smash mode in my brain while the spear make my brain go "aha, come taste mine spear, aha! Witness my impenetrable defence! Behold, I dodge and thrust!"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

JBP posted:

I think the big red sword triggers berserker smash mode in my brain while the spear make my brain go "aha, come taste mine spear, aha! Witness my impenetrable defence! Behold, I dodge and thrust!"

that's just trauma from theseus

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Who has the keepsake between the Black Shawl and the Bone Hourglass? I think I'm missing a dude somewhere. (There's one at the end too but I'm assuming it's story related)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

YggiDee posted:

Who has the keepsake between the Black Shawl and the Bone Hourglass? I think I'm missing a dude somewhere. (There's one at the end too but I'm assuming it's story related)

That is from Thanatos. If you haven't encountered them yet just keep playing and they'll show.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm at 45 runs and haven't found them yet.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

YggiDee posted:

I'm at 45 runs and haven't found them yet.

Really? the buff dude with a Scythe, helps you clear a room? I found him like 15 runs in

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Nope! He's not even in the Codex yet so it's not like I met him and forgot.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Hmm, are you making it to Elysium on average? I think that's the first time you run into that one

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

You have to be injured for him to show up and he first spawns in Elysium I’m pretty sure.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Well I am frequently both in Elysium and injured, but I guess that's why it's a Random Number Generator and not an Arbitrary Number Generator :shrug:

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

It took me at least 30-40 runs as well, I don't know why. It may have been because I was cranking wins on low heat levels without any difficulty. You could try having a bad run with a weird crappy build to see if that works.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Bow doesn’t seem that great TBH.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

The Bow doesn’t seem that great TBH.

The trick with the Bow is that you want to treat its Special like a shotgun. Get up close and unload into someone's face for massive damage or plink away from a distance to wear them down so you can comfortably do that.

However its different Aspects are fairly significantly different and really improve its overall power.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The trick with the Bow is that you want to treat its Special like a shotgun. Get up close and unload into someone's face for massive damage or plink away from a distance to wear them down so you can comfortably do that.

However its different Aspects are fairly significantly different and really improve its overall power.

Lol ok maybe I was just using it wrong then! I’ll have to try it again

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Lol ok maybe I was just using it wrong then! I’ll have to try it again

A lot of the weapons take getting used to. The Bow was actually my least favorite weapon for a long time but now it's one of my favorites. My least favorite is probably the shield TBH.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The shield has all the disadvantage of the bow (requires charging up for full damage, low dps because of that, stationary while charging) with none of the advantages. Invulnerability from front-on damage isn't really all that.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

The shield has all the disadvantage of the bow (requires charging up for full damage, low dps because of that, stationary while charging) with none of the advantages. Invulnerability from front-on damage isn't really all that.

I feel like people say shield dps is bad and it's actually pretty good? Bullrush is bad at damage, but the basic melee combo is solid with good knockback values and it has a really fluid attack/special combo so you can easily weave in the +40% boost from two curses?

I feel like it's better than default sword where you have to cancel out of the lovely thrust every single time.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

WarpedLichen posted:

I feel like it's better than default sword where you have to cancel out of the lovely thrust every single time.

The thrust is all about knocking them back into walls for the extra damage.

The sword also has a bunch of Hammer upgrades that significantly improve it: wave slash, hoarding slash, spam slash, guillotine slash.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Shield feels bad to use because its attacks look repetitive but you can special from melee range without any problem so it's actually ok imo and the knockback on attack does a lot more work than it looks at first. Sword's got a great special and shouldn't see the third attack in the sword combo often if you're using nemesis. Spear has a god awful special which is very bad for Privileged Status builds which is why i hate it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No Wave posted:

Shield feels bad to use because its attacks look repetitive but you can special from melee range without any problem so it's actually ok imo and the knockback on attack does a lot more work than it looks at first. Sword's got a great special and shouldn't see the third attack in the sword combo often if you're using nemesis. Spear has a god awful special which is very bad for Privileged Status builds which is why i hate it.

Honestly if you get some upgrades into it the spear special can be really effective. It's excellent at room clearing which is really all it needs to be since the spear itself is fine for single target.

The special I had the hardest time using is the Rail's Lucifer aspect. It feels way way too finnicky.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Just got my first clear. I was running the sword and immediately picked up Aphrodite's Heartbreak Flourish, followed by a chaos boon that gave me 90% special damage, and then a pomegranate to level up Flourish.

I killed everything in the first zone in a single hit. Bosses melted.

Then zone 2 started out with a hammer that made my special hit twice.

From then on I prioritized special damage and health ups. By the end I had Flourish up to level 9 for something like 300% special damage and I had another 200% special damage from other boons. What a massacre. That was awesome.

Every single first clear of a roguelike has happened after 1am. I'm gonna be dragging tomorrow and questioning if staying up late was worth it (it was).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

The best way I've found to use the Shield was to just go all-in on Dash Attacks and then spend the entire run dash-cancelling everywhere.
It was pretty effective to be fair, it was my second finish actually.