Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i didn't know you could do trades unless someone went kyujo. i'll switch enho for kagayaki if possible. love enho but he clearly doesn't have it this basho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I've been busy so I didn't realize Kyokotaisei was out, can I get either Tobizaru, Chiyotairyu or Ichinojo in that order? Did I get this trade in in time?

Robviously fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 20, 2020

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I'd like to make a few trades, if I can

M 1-5 from Toshinoshin to Terutsuyoshi

M 6-10 from Enho to Aioyama

Please and thank you. Really enjoying my first tourney in no small part thanks to y'all

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I’m going down with my lovely team like I do every time.

I can’t believe Terutsuyoshi went for the same exact trip on Asanoyama.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Is it too late for trades?

I'd like to Drop Yutakayama for Terunofuji (Not sure if any are unavailable) Kiribayama or Takanosho if he's not.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
also didn't know trades was a thing, rip

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

I know it'd probably be a smart move to trade out Endo or Terutsuyoshi but I still can't get rid of the feeling that they'll make a plucky comeback in the second half of the basho.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Endo is my weakest link but I'm okay with my picks so far. I should've trusted in the boi Takakeisho tho. The sphere of unbridled aggression has a shot at the basho!

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Dias posted:

Endo is my weakest link but I'm okay with my picks so far. I should've trusted in the boi Takakeisho tho. The sphere of unbridled aggression has a shot at the basho!

Takakeisho looks super dominant at the moment, it's great to watch

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Takakeisho is built like a Wrecking Ball

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Making trades outside of injury situations is a coward’s play.

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
I'm really enjoying the frenetic pacing of these matches. It's nice to see that underhooks are still the poo poo in this setting. On a side note are there any female or other gendered sumo wrestlers? It seems to be about big beefy cis-boys exclusively?

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Another day of really good bouts. Glad to see Hokutofuji showing some fighting spirit and putting away Endo like that

Kotoshogiku coming back in seems ill-advised, his leg is clearly still hosed but I guess he's desperate to avoid demotion

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Ishiura returning in stylr! Although, the degree to which his ankle has to be strapped up has me really worried with the sorts of spills everyone's been taking.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Meadowhill posted:

I'm really enjoying the frenetic pacing of these matches. It's nice to see that underhooks are still the poo poo in this setting. On a side note are there any female or other gendered sumo wrestlers? It seems to be about big beefy cis-boys exclusively?

as far as cis women go, only in amateur sumo.. women aren't even allowed to enter the dohyo once it's been consecrated.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/01/22/women-sumo-japan-olympics/
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2018/04/c39e66ddcedf-female-mayor-barred-from-giving-speech-in-sumo-ring-in-wake-of-furor.html

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Tochinoshin's tactics today were just :discourse:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

bessantj posted:

Tochinoshin's tactics today were just :discourse:

Hell yeah, and he's got the other Ozeki tomorrow.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Thauros posted:

as far as cis women go, only in amateur sumo
The way this is phrased makes me ask has there actually been rulings/decision regarding trans men or trans women?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

My first basho that ive watched on a daily basis (instead of all at once, in July), and I've got my 9 year old daughter watching. She knows the 5 guys I have pretty well, and we have 20 mins or so of screaming about sumo every day. It's great.

(*My 5 guys are Asanoyama, Daieisho, Terunofuji, Aoiyama and Kotoshoho)

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Of my picks, Tobizaru is really standing out as someone I'm liking

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Feel like the highlight bout for today was Tobizaru vs. Meisei: I don't think I've ever seen so many near misses and victory opportunities get countered so fast before. Just lightning fast, high energy the whole way through!

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Yeah. I don't know how Tobizaru escaped my notice until yesterday, but he's one to pay attention to for sure.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tobizaru is fun as gently caress to watch!

Some of the 6-2 crowd finally getting culled, was sad to see my boy Takayasu exited like that but he’s already far exceeded my expectations for this basho so I can’t be too displeased.

And :lol: at Tochi, going for a weak henka two days in a row. Womp womp.

I really hope we still have like a four or five way tie for first come day 14. That’s going to make for some exciting sumo!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

whats for dinner posted:

Feel like the highlight bout for today was Tobizaru vs. Meisei: I don't think I've ever seen so many near misses and victory opportunities get countered so fast before. Just lightning fast, high energy the whole way through!

Yeah, that was a good fight. loved Enho v Ichinojo as well.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Someone remind me how injuries work in week 2 and if I have to keep dead weight on my squad

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

bessantj posted:

Yeah, that was a good fight. loved Enho v Ichinojo as well.

How the hell does Enho straight up push Ichinojo out? Great moves by the little guy to stay alive early, but he just drives Ichinojo straight back for the finish.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

obv he's still quite a bit away from getting to that point and his knees could give out at any time, but terunofuji looking as good or better than anyone at m1 after fighting all the san'yaku made me wonder if anyone's ever been able to regain their ozeki rank the hard way after losing it? i know obviously tochinoshin (briefly), takakeisho, and others historically have managed the 10 wins at "ozekiwake" to return back immediately

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Googling around a bit found Kaiketsu, who went from Ozeki to M6 and then back to Ozeki, between 1975 and 1977:

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi.aspx?r=4076

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

pseudodragon posted:

How the hell does Enho straight up push Ichinojo out? Great moves by the little guy to stay alive early, but he just drives Ichinojo straight back for the finish.

It was such good work. he scurries around so Ichinojo can't get up a head of steam and push him out. Then he gets under Ichinojo's defence and pushes up at the pits sending him back. Very good work from the little man who has had a rather bad basho.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

captainblastum posted:

Googling around a bit found Kaiketsu, who went from Ozeki to M6 and then back to Ozeki, between 1975 and 1977:

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi.aspx?r=4076

thanks for the find! my next question is, what are the HD ranks you see on old banzukes when there were more than 2 ozeki, sekiwake, or komosubi? like kaiketsu for example was classified as an "S2e HD" for aki 1974 when now he'd just be a simple S2e?

edit: figured this one out
https://www.reddit.com/r/Sumo/comments/5uhn4o/question_about_unfamiliar_rank_abbreviations/

quote:

It means "haridashi"- see the sumo glossary entry here .

Basically before 1995 they used to write the banzuke with only one Y, O, S and K on each side (east and west). The rest went beyond the space for yokozuna, on so-called "wings"(=hari, and dasu=to place out; so haridashi=placed out on the wings).

So before 1995 the Yokozuna 1e and 1w, Ozeki 1e and 1w, Sekiwake 1e and 1w and Komusubi 1e and 1w were called sei-yokozuna, sei-ozeki etc., hereas the rest of them were the haridashi-yokozuna/ozeki/sekiwake/komusubi.

edit 2: holy poo poo, for any pro wrestling fans here that's genichiro tenryu at m8w

Thauros fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 21, 2020

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

can i still trade for shodai instead of daesho, or did i blow it earlier?

Gerund posted:

I think I am solid middle-pack but I still would like to swap my M6-10 from Aioyama to Takayasu because I'm feeling like he'll have a better next 8. Without the Yoks to go, might as well go for potential.

Thauros posted:

i didn't know you could do trades unless someone went kyujo. i'll switch enho for kagayaki if possible. love enho but he clearly doesn't have it this basho.

Robviously posted:

I've been busy so I didn't realize Kyokotaisei was out, can I get either Tobizaru, Chiyotairyu or Ichinojo in that order? Did I get this trade in in time?

Cage Kicker posted:

I'd like to make a few trades, if I can

M 1-5 from Toshinoshin to Terutsuyoshi

M 6-10 from Enho to Aioyama

Please and thank you. Really enjoying my first tourney in no small part thanks to y'all

All these trades were registered for day 8! I'm back from L.A.

Chinook posted:

My first basho that ive watched on a daily basis (instead of all at once, in July), and I've got my 9 year old daughter watching. She knows the 5 guys I have pretty well, and we have 20 mins or so of screaming about sumo every day. It's great.

(*My 5 guys are Asanoyama, Daieisho, Terunofuji, Aoiyama and Kotoshoho)

:kimchi::kimchi::kimchi::kimchi::kimchi:

This basho is all over the place! I'm really enjoying seeing Tobizaru's frantic style, and also seeing Terunofuji in total kaiju mode. Both ozeki also look strong, so the final few days are going to be exciting. Terunofuji has all lower-ranked opponents now, so he's probably favored to win at this point.

Day 9 standings:

code:
26	anakha
28	Banana Canada
29	bartolimu
24	Beeswax
24	bessantj
20.5	Cage Kicker
21	Charles Gnarwin
27	Chinook
26	Dias
24	Diplomat
32	Fluffdaddy
23	Foehammer007
25	Gerund
25	GoatSeeGuy
22	ilmucche
26.5	Helianthus Annuus
20	Jobbo_Fett
25	Kenning
24	Lid
24	Liquid Communism
25	Lone Goat
28	Maigius
31	MalarkeyToboggan
22	Marching Powder
24	Martytoof
25	Mekchu
26	pseudodragon
20	QuasiQuack
22	Robviously
22	sivad
29	Skjorte
28	Sub Rosa
21	Thauros
30	Tiny Bug Child
25	whats for dinner

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Oof, Enho is having a terrible basho.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Liquid Communism posted:

Oof, Enho is having a terrible basho.

It's a real bummer to watch. :(
I wonder what the reason is

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Has a rank and filer ever gone back to back because Tenryufuji could do it and uf he does does he leapfrog up to Ozeki?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

OOF. Tochi's hurting bad. He just got to the edge and tiptoed out, his knee is gone. :smith:

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

There were some really great bouts today but also looked like a couple of really nasty ankle/knee collapses. I'm scared we're gonna get a few more kyujo tomorrow, as well.

This is completely unrelated to the basho, but has anyone got any experience buying original tegata (rather than prints)? I'd be really keen to get a Tochinoshin one but not sure the best way to go about it.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

whats for dinner posted:

This is completely unrelated to the basho, but has anyone got any experience buying original tegata (rather than prints)? I'd be really keen to get a Tochinoshin one but not sure the best way to go about it.

John Gunning, the english language commentator, sells them. You can contact him through sumo forum, or possibly Twitter now. I bought a Harumafuji for my wife a few years back, which cost me about AUD 200, from memory. Ask him who you want and he can give you a price.

I'd recommend being specific whether you'd want a Tochi-as-Ozeki one or whether Tochi-as-ranker, as there'd probably be a price difference and it's better to get exactly what you want.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Lid posted:

Has a rank and filer ever gone back to back because Tenryufuji could do it and uf he does does he leapfrog up to Ozeki?

No, he'd still need to meet the criteria for ozeki, 33 wins over three basho in sanyaku.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Elissimpark posted:

John Gunning, the english language commentator, sells them. You can contact him through sumo forum, or possibly Twitter now. I bought a Harumafuji for my wife a few years back, which cost me about AUD 200, from memory. Ask him who you want and he can give you a price.

I'd recommend being specific whether you'd want a Tochi-as-Ozeki one or whether Tochi-as-ranker, as there'd probably be a price difference and it's better to get exactly what you want.

Thanks very much! I've reached out to him on twitter and have my fingers crossed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Cool. He also sells the official sumo calenders, for anyone who might be interested. I think he'd be taking orders about now.