Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

EvilJoven posted:

beer is a great motivator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Can someone post a good video about wrapping bar tape that they trust? I've seen the Park Tool one but I'd like to see if other ones exist. The reels of bar tape I got from Supercaz look, to me, too short to do the job.

This is the one I learned from and gone are the days where I'd struggle with getting the figure-8 just right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7KwGCDWlUk

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

bicievino posted:

I don't think the gearing thing makes any sense. If you maintain the same cadence you don't need different gearing.

If anything, folks who run shorter cranks tend to find it easier to maintain a higher cadence, so you might want slightly easier gearing? But really I think it's unrelated.

Yeah. I've got a set of 170mm cranks for my TT bike (175mm on the road bikes) for precisely this reason (the chest/knee thing is also true but is irrelevant for me until I improve my hip flexibility to get my lower back flatter)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

nwin posted:

How about any white bar tape that resists dirt the best?

Fizik Microtex Classic is alright, the bar tape isn’t super sticky and has more of a gloss finish, so it doesn’t dirty up as quick. The Fizik tacky stuff gets dirty fast for sure.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

Apparently being starving and really wanting to finish my lap so I could go grab a lovely sandwich and a beer is a great motivator.

I think I'll ride my bike tomorrow and do this.

Want to ride my bike today but I have other things to do.

All I really want to do is ride my bike.

Apr 7, 2003

Cancel life, ride bike.

Apr 7, 2003

Coxswain Balls posted:

This is the one I learned from and gone are the days where I'd struggle with getting the figure-8 just right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7KwGCDWlUk

Thanks man!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

I really prefer wrapping from the tops down to the plugs, stuffing the last half wrap of tape in the bar end, and then plugging to seal. No finishing tape and it's way easier to unwrap a bit if you have to move/work on brifters.

Start as close to the stem as you like with the tape under the bar and wrapping out to the front and "back" to you over the top (think about how your hands more naturally rotate back/down on the tops and match the tape to that direction). Wrap 2-3 times directly around the start point to anchor and then continue "out" toward the hoods. Once you get to the brifter apply the little bit of extra tape to cover the gap underneath the brifter body, take the tape across the outside of the brifter, and then start wrapping under the brifter toward the end of the drops in the opposite direction of what you were doing on the tops (again, think about how your hand naturally wants to rotate "out" when in the drops and match the tape to that direction). Wrap down until you get a half width of wrap past the bar end, fold into the bar, and insert plug.

Voila!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

amenenema posted:

I really prefer wrapping from the tops down to the plugs, stuffing the last half wrap of tape in the bar end, and then plugging to seal. No finishing tape and it's way easier to unwrap a bit if you have to move/work on brifters.

:thermidor:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I've gone down the rabbit hole that is Terry Barentsen's YT channel. The hotline videos are mesmerizing.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Chinatown posted:

I've gone down the rabbit hole that is Terry Barentsen's YT channel. The hotline videos are mesmerizing.

:aaa:

Just watched the Cooper Ray one ..

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Just watched the Cooper Ray one ..

my favs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbCzWRnKCaI&t=1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pyJzZ3RUMw

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Hello, I've never owned a bike before and lookin to buy one. I never realized how expensive they were, drat.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

:agreed:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

mila kunis posted:

Hello, I've never owned a bike before and lookin to buy one. I never realized how expensive they were, drat.

What's next?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

kimbo305 posted:

What's next?

Walmart Schwinn

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Who's got that picture of the GMC Denali Road Bike with Campy Super Record?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

spf3million posted:

Speaking of my next build

:getin:

:eyepop::fh:

nwin posted:

How about any white bar tape that resists dirt the best?
A bike that beats the speed of light is more likely.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Going to finally ride my bike. Haven't done a real ride since the 6th. My legs feel reeeeal fresh might try and stomp some segment PRs.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Just sitting here in full kit waiting for my Garmin to charge...

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Get a portable battery pack and record the first part of your ride on your phone.

At least you're not waiting for your derailleurs to charge.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

I also need to plug in my Di2 tonight. Haven't had it run out on me yet.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Went on the first 30 mile ride of my life this morning. Caught a bad headwind for the last 5 miles and that wasn't fun. I also tried to PR a strava segment close to my house at the end of the ride and my legs said no mas.

Got home and then went to town on Burger and Chili Cheese Fries.

Am I doing cycling right?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Sab0921 posted:

Went on the first 30 mile ride of my life this morning. Caught a bad headwind for the last 5 miles and that wasn't fun. I also tried to PR a strava segment close to my house at the end of the ride and my legs said no mas.

Got home and then went to town on Burger and Chili Cheese Fries.

Am I doing cycling right?

Only if you were net positive on calories.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Riding so you can eat whatever is the whole point iirc.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Even if you didn't have the calories for it I still say that's a good ride.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

First time getting on my bike in a month and I did 47 miles in just over 3 hours. My thighs are covered in icy hot and I don't care who knows it

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

kimbo305 posted:

Only if you were net positive on calories.

Oh definitely was. Strava said about 900 calories, that burger and fries definitely crushed that number

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Shopping for a road bike. TCR Advanced for sure, just not sure which one...

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

The pretty one

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

The pretty one

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
The smoke has cleared out of Portland allowing the large mammal to scurry out of its hotel to go ride purple dick.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

EvilJoven posted:

Get a Synapse.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Lmao nice one.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
?

It’s a superb road bike and just about everyone should be on endurance bikes. I would have mentioned the Defy Advanced but that stupid cable routing disqualifies it.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

EvilJoven posted:

TCR Advanced SL frame only. Get a pair of their SLR1 wheels, carbon stem, bar, post, cages.
Full DA mechanical build

Yore welcome.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Wait, are people actually able to acquire Shimano 105 level and greater components not attached to complete bikes right now?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
It's the cheap stuff that you can't get.

I was looking at shimano's b2b today and 105 for the most part is all out of stock. There's more ultegra and dura-ace stuff (we have almost all of a complete ultegra group for a guy, think just waiting on brakes).

I've been tempted to swap some parts on the new mtb and can get enough xt and xtr parts for a working drivetrain and new brakes. But you want like, slx or deore or basic 7-9 speed derailleurs, not gonna happen any time soon.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ya if you want a high end road or MTB build we can still make that happen but god help you if you need a Tourney RD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry emu
Aug 25, 2011

I bought a bike yesterday after having a vague plan to do so ever since the rona hit. I hadn't been on a bike since I was a kid but it went pretty well, I went for a ride around the neighbourhood and it was fun.

My butt is killing me today though.