Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Getting young people to vote left is difficult, although it's getting a bit better. Anecdotally, I find that although you get younger people caring about social issues and volunteering to help fix them, it doesn't translate politically. It's like the issues are always there but independent of any structural or political problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ToxicAcne posted:

What's the state of the Japanese left by the way? It's probably my North American bias but it seems really off to not have a younger generation that is more left wing, especially in a country where the situation for young people is pretty dire.

Young people are generally progressive on social issues but as mentioned it's conceived of as "non-political". There's no coherent vision of an alternative economic system ala Corbynism or Bernie at the moment. The previous iterations of the Left, the 1930s era old left and the 60s era new left basically failed to propagate generationally to people born after about 1960 and are completely dead aside from the JCP which is a special case, but too small to do anything on its own. That said I think there is some cautious grounds for optimism, because the LDP's support is shallow enough that if the opposition were somehow to get even moderately more young people, and let's define "young" people very broadly as like anyone under 50, to vote for it it could win pretty easily. The LDP machine is way way weaker than it was decades ago, it's just the liberal opposition is even more pathetic

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Japanese yound people have very low voter turnout. It's the opposite of the Taiwan voting demography.

Sauzer
Jan 31, 2006
Some Sort of Guy

Mr. Fix It posted:

TW: Jake Adelstein
He couldn't make it two paragraphs without talking about the Yakuza

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I’m still baffled by how Adelstein is apparently the only English-speaking talking head available these days because he’s the only one I ever see on American TV or in online publications whenever there’s some Japan news.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Dr.Radical posted:

I’m still baffled by how Adelstein is apparently the only English-speaking talking head available these days because he’s the only one I ever see on American TV or in online publications whenever there’s some Japan news.

Nobody in the west really cares about having a variety of sources for Japan so they basically take whoever's easy for random poo poo, and Adelstein is known, so they clips from him. Nobody is going to him for in-depth shut or whatnot. It's basically b-roll.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/sans__sens/status/1301090673521618946

jacobin has some informative articles on Japanese politics

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Sauzer posted:

He couldn't make it two paragraphs without talking about the Yakuza

because it's almost like this is a very serious, very real, frightening concept? dude literally evicted elderly people using an underworld proxy corporation. I would think that would be noteworthy

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Adelstein probably thinks Lowtax has Yakuza connections.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Adelstein probably thinks Lowtax has Yakuza connections.

depends on whether or not you think they get any proceeds on video game sales:v:

Sauzer
Jan 31, 2006
Some Sort of Guy

Race Realists posted:

because it's almost like this is a very serious, very real, frightening concept? dude literally evicted elderly people using an underworld proxy corporation. I would think that would be noteworthy
I've no doubt that someone who gets to the top of the LDP or any other national political organization is probably a shark to some extent. All I'm saying is somebody like Adelstein really needs to be citing his quotes, particularly when the only source he gives for that anecdote is a tabloid.

also, ad hominem attack:

quote:

Some people in town have trouble taking Adelstein seriously. They dismiss him as a crank, a paranoid foreigner who talks obsessively about death threats from the gangsters known as yakuza. Others react with suspicion; a number of people in Japan claim that his journalism is a front for C.I.A. work. Adelstein does little to dismiss such rumors, apart from maintaining an image so flamboyant that it would shame any actual agency man. He’s in his early forties, and he wears a trenchcoat and a porkpie hat, and he chain-smokes clove cigarettes from Indonesia. For a while, he dyed his hair bright red, claiming that this disguise would foil would-be assassins. He employs a bodyguard who doubles as a chauffeur, an ex-yakuza who cut off his pinkie finger years ago as a gesture of apology to a gang superior. Adelstein says he needs a car and a nine-fingered driver in order to avoid the subway, where a hit man might shove him in front of a train.
e: this is from a friendly profile

Sauzer fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 18, 2020

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
And that doesn’t even touch on how he’s well known as a sex creep among people who hang out in Roppongi. Which, if you’re getting that kind of rep there, is saying something.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
And I have trouble believing he’s a CIA front. He just seems like a huge dork who fancies himself a hard boiled journalist type. But maybe that’s what we’re supposed to think??? :tinfoil:

Sauzer
Jan 31, 2006
Some Sort of Guy
Pretty sure he's just a crank. The agency would probably prefer to work with people who don't draw massive attention to themselves every waking moment.

Sauzer
Jan 31, 2006
Some Sort of Guy
So I guess now that Abe is a private citizen he has immediately resumed his hobby of hanging out at Yasukuni.

Kishida was asked about it though, and said something to the effect of "different strokes for different folks! what can ya do?" But also it totally should not be construed as an international matter (instead "a matter of the heart") so legally China isn't allowed to get mad about it.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Sauzer posted:

So I guess now that Abe is a private citizen he has immediately resumed his hobby of hanging out at Yasukuni.

Kishida was asked about it though, and said something to the effect of "different strokes for different folks! what can ya do?" But also it totally should not be construed as an international matter (instead "a matter of the heart") so legally China isn't allowed to get mad about it.

His love of war criminals is deep, earnest, and true.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

You can't prevent a man from visiting all his closest friends and family.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
a couple days old, and a bit unfortunate due to it being somewhat western-takes-on-japan (the author is an emigrant from japan), but god drat do i not like being able to see my future by looking at the past 20 years of japan :smith:

https://twitter.com/BW/status/1313151918760435712

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

A big flaming stink posted:

a couple days old, and a bit unfortunate due to it being somewhat western-takes-on-japan (the author is an emigrant from japan), but god drat do i not like being able to see my future by looking at the past 20 years of japan :smith:

https://twitter.com/BW/status/1313151918760435712

Me either. :saddowns: It's slightly different for me because I'm disabled, but...that article could easily describe me, despite being a Westerner (and not in Japan). :cry:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Turns out all this time Japan's just been ahead of the curve of late stage capitalism.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is the unemployment rate at least better for folks younger than them?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Situation's worse than it sounds, the average salaries for people in the age-group featured in this article have actually dropped over the last 10 years (i.e. they made more on average at 30 than at 40) which is loving nuts. There's also gently caress all news about overseas conditions in Japan, my wife thinks that if young people (under 50s) in Japan realised how badly off they were vs the rest of the world they'd riot.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ookiimarukochan posted:

Situation's worse than it sounds, the average salaries for people in the age-group featured in this article have actually dropped over the last 10 years (i.e. they made more on average at 30 than at 40) which is loving nuts. There's also gently caress all news about overseas conditions in Japan, my wife thinks that if young people (under 50s) in Japan realised how badly off they were vs the rest of the world they'd riot.

At least in America and the UK the situation for non-Boomers is rapidly converging to Japan, so maybe that was true 20 years ago but I'm not sure anymore. Japan does still have universal healthcare, less-insane college costs and housing costs, unlike most of Blue America now

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

icantfindaname posted:

Japan does still have universal healthcare, less-insane college costs and housing costs, unlike most of Blue America now

That's the kicker, really. If things get appreciably worse welfare-wise or wages drop even more, you might start getting rumblings of discontent, but the current situation is just enough to coast on. But even then, everybody is so politically disengaged over here I don't know if it could even be channeled into anything.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rochallor posted:

That's the kicker, really. If things get appreciably worse welfare-wise or wages drop even more, you might start getting rumblings of discontent, but the current situation is just enough to coast on. But even then, everybody is so politically disengaged over here I don't know if it could even be channeled into anything.

We've seen how quickly the politically disengaged can be radicalised once things hit a tipping point. Are the right-wingers still driving around in their van playing loud propaganda?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We've seen how quickly the politically disengaged can be radicalised once things hit a tipping point. Are the right-wingers still driving around in their van playing loud propaganda?

Yes. But its a staple in Japan politics, so people have learned to better tune it out.

If things continue how they're going, I wouldn't be surprised if Japan gets Aum Shinrikyo v2.0 (minus the religious doomsday underpinnings) within the next decade. They already had a sympathizer drive a car into a crowd on New Years in Harajuku last year.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

AlternateNu posted:

Yes. But its a staple in Japan politics, so people have learned to better tune it out.

If things continue how they're going, I wouldn't be surprised if Japan gets Aum Shinrikyo v2.0 (minus the religious doomsday underpinnings) within the next decade. They already had a sympathizer drive a car into a crowd on New Years in Harajuku last year.

If anything that's probably a decent sign; that they're too stupid and belligerent to change their tactics. A big thing in US white supremacy is that in the 90s, a leader told the kids to stop being skinheads, stop getting tattoos, but to shut up, go to college and become professionals and members of society so people will listen to them. We're seeing the dividends of that today, and the results of recruiting online and realising there's an unprecedented population of young white men with no future. All the old fuckers know is to be obnoxious and loud, if they start being subtle and quiet you start to have real trouble.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Still one of my favorite Dogen vidoes. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOJAxf9XpoQ

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It is a good question is where Japan should or can go from here considering both its political system and its economic limits. Further monetary expansion and infrastructure spending is only going to achieve so much (especially since Japanese infrastructure is in good shape even if the Tokyo metro is still crowded) and cheap money is mostly just sat on by corporations.

It is interesting also that at least officially the Japanese unemployment rate wasn't really that bad (2-4%), but a 60% labor participation rate indicates that just large portions of the population has slid out of the workforce much like a smaller portion has slid out of social interaction entirely. On top of that you have a rapidly aging population which is only shrinking the labor pool farther. At the same time wages also have been stagnant if not declining since the 1990s.

In the context of all of that, I could see why people don't want kids and/or would rather just live in a fantasy world of their own creation.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ardennes posted:

It is interesting also that at least officially the Japanese unemployment rate wasn't really that bad (2-4%), but a 60% labor participation rate indicates that just large portions of the population has slid out of the workforce much like a smaller portion has slid out of social interaction entirely. On top of that you have a rapidly aging population which is only shrinking the labor pool farther. At the same time wages also have been stagnant if not declining since the 1990s.

Stagnant wages, the rise of contract work replacing 会社員 with same productivity for less guarantees, and generally less security compared with the 1980s is a hell of a combination.

I count myself incredibly lucky for my circumstances amid all this, too.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

harperdc posted:

Stagnant wages, the rise of contract work replacing 会社員 with same productivity for less guarantees, and generally less security compared with the 1980s is a hell of a combination.

What's 会社員 translate to?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Spacewolf posted:

What's 会社員 translate to?

Employee.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Oh. thanks.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

harperdc posted:

会社員 (company employee) includes 派遣社員 (contact worker) and 発見社員 (dispatch worker) etc., so what you meant to say is 正社員 (permanent employee)

\/\/ Whoops yeah wasn't paying attention

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 12, 2020

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

LimburgLimbo posted:

会社員 (company employee) includes 契約社員 (contact worker) and 発見社員 (dispatch worker) etc., so what you meant to say is 正社員 (permanent employee)

派遣, not 発見

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

LimburgLimbo posted:

...so what you meant to say is 正社員 (permanent employee)

yep sorry, meant that. the full-time employee who also is fully hired by that company and not on either contract or dispatched from what would be a temp agency in the U.S. Depending on industry that can be the difference between union membership etc. as well.

I would have hoped that a crackdown on working hours could mean companies read the room and staff up to meet the requirements, but I'm not sure that's happened.

Sauzer
Jan 31, 2006
Some Sort of Guy
Not politics per se but Suga has been pretty boring so far:
Sounds like the imperial household agency might finally allow some excavation around the biggest kofun in Sakai again. They did some limited stuff in 2018, but the IHA have otherwise prohibited archaeology before this because they claim (without evidence) that it is the burial place of Nintoku, the sixteenth emperor. As the largest, most elaborate of the kofun, it's hard to say what they might turn up. In 2018, they figured out that the entire thing (mound, dike and moat) were originally paved with tens of millions of stones. It's hard to imagine what a huge undertaking that would have been, given the level of technology they were working with in the 5th century.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Read: Baekje royalty tombs.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

captkirk posted:

Yes, because if a party you don't like stays in power it's because the nation isn't into all this enlightened Western democracy stuff. Maybe someday the poor savages while realize what they're missing.

Race Realists posted:

white internet nerds cant help themselves but to either demonize or infantilize Asian Culture

I don't understand the controversy. America is clearly the model to hold up the world in terms of free and fair democracy as well as strong and smart leadership.

icantfindaname posted:

The LDP machine is way way weaker than it was decades ago, it's just the liberal opposition is even more pathetic

Imagine being more incompetent than the U.S. Democrats.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Oct 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
What's the best response to people who don't particularly like Trump or what he's doing in the US but think he will be better for Japan than Biden/Harris because he's "tough on China"?