Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Communist Thoughts posted:

The Oxford trial has hosed someone else's spine up.
Waiting for the completely independent and expert regulators to say its fine

source?

e; The #1 single on Sept 21st 1996 was Ready Or Not by The Fugees. 24 years later it is clear we were not.

blunt fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Sep 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

blunt posted:

source?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/19/health/astrazeneca-vaccine-safety-blueprints.html#click=https://t.co/zcBbAbLNBg

Though actually it seems like the 2nd person to get the inflamed spine WAS the recent one who halted the trial but there had been another person getting the same illness previously that wasn't revealed.

The article is confused on the point but it seems like 2 people have gotten rare neurological conditions but have both been declared as having a preexisting condition so it's fiiiiine.

So the independent regulator has already given the green light in that case, PHEW

Also theyr halving the threshold at which they can decide the vaccine is effective so that's good.

E

This is the tweet I saw which made me think it was a new participant, but instead it's just new revelations I guess

https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1307487069791563780?s=20

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Sep 20, 2020

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Wow this opened my eyes, women who are famous and unimaginably wealthy should be able to abuse whoever they like :hmmyes:

I don't go on any newspaper websites or twitter or very much of anything anymore and poo poo like this is one reason why

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1307609329521094656

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Guavanaut posted:

I'd almost like to see just one leader come out with a truly crazy take on it, like "I would immediately decommission Trident by airbursting it 1000ft above Brussels and Strasbourg" just to see what the reaction to it within the chattering classes would be. They're fake aghast at the idea that someone would never use nukes, so what would their reaction to the opposite extreme be?

Or answer in "the only winning move is not to play" galaxy brain style by confirming that should the bombs start flying, you'll immediately nuke your own country so the enemy can't win. Checkmate.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Melissa McCarthyism posted:

Simultaneously not taking a stance on literally any issue? This can't be their guy?

Here's my gift for the thread. Should get some use out of this one.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Kernel Monsoon posted:

Here's my gift for the thread. Should get some use out of this one.

lmfao

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Communist Thoughts posted:

This is the tweet I saw which made me think it was a new participant, but instead it's just new revelations I guess

https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1307487069791563780?s=20

According to wiki:

quote:

TM is characterized by weakness and numbness of the limbs, deficits in sensation and motor skills, dysfunctional urethral and anal sphincter activities, and dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system that can lead to episodes of high blood pressure.

Aren't these all also "Long Covid" symptoms? Literally no idea if there's a connection, but has to be something worth investigating.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/WhoresofYore/status/1304841317206368258

You'd think with a name like that he'd have more than two kids.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Frankly unbelievable that you’d name one kid Willy but sleep on naming the other one Dick.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1307563409530122240?s=19

quote:

Private rents in some parts of London have tumbled by up to 20% as tenants quit the capital, the number of international students plummets and companies put relocation plans on hold.

A glut of rental properties on the market means many landlords have had to slash rents in order to attract tenants. While leading estate agents say average rents in London are down by perhaps 4% on a year ago, or 6% to 7% in the so-called “prime” areas, these figures mask much bigger falls in certain locations as Covid-19 continues to wreak havoc on the lettings market.

[...]

The sharp decline in the number of overseas students is one of the main factors behind the current glut of rental properties in the capital. The student market has become increasingly important to London landlords.

Chestertons, one of the capital’s biggest lettings agents, said that between June and September, 30% of its central London tenants were usually international students “with generous budgets”. This figure was even higher in areas most popular with international students or near major universities, such as Bloomsbury and Camden. But lockdowns and travel restrictions in the UK and around the world have had a dramatic impact, said the firm, which highlighted a report issued in June that warned of “a potential drop in international students of 50% to 75%” this autumn.
Fuckin' immigrunts, comin over here, proppin up our economy

:sickos:

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Sep 20, 2020

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
ok so i've just done the slight amount of reading about the coronavirus that i can manage to do in a week or so about the current views on it staying on surfaces, and as I know there are surely total nerds on here who have done thirty times the reading up: can someone yell at me that I do not in fact need to wipe clean a bunch of my groceries and parcels and keep most of the rest in week-long quarantine in a corner of the living room, so that I can go back to not doing that. i feel the power of getting yelled at on an internet forum will help to counter the power of general vague anxiety.

perhaps we can take from this a good case study as to why it is good to have reliable and trustworthy guidance on safety from a central government based on useful facts and public interest, rather than the government giving a bunch of contradictory and half-arsed vague instructions that seem to mainly be based on their economic plans and relying on each citizen to Personal Responsibility themselves a safety strategy under threat of being personally blamed for the virus - as it turns out, personally researching a virus is somewhat draining even if you do manage to avoid the facebook groups telling you it's all invented by bill gates

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

AFAIK there has yet to be a confirmed case resulting from fomite transmission. I think it’s massive overkill and you shouldn’t feel bad or in danger for not doing it.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Angepain posted:

ok so i've just done the slight amount of reading about the coronavirus that i can manage to do in a week or so about the current views on it staying on surfaces, and as I know there are surely total nerds on here who have done thirty times the reading up: can someone yell at me that I do not in fact need to wipe clean a bunch of my groceries and parcels and keep most of the rest in week-long quarantine in a corner of the living room, so that I can go back to not doing that. i feel the power of getting yelled at on an internet forum will help to counter the power of general vague anxiety.

Cover your mouth and nose when you're inside (excluding your own home obvs) and maintain basic hygiene standards (eg wash your hands on a reasonable schedule). You don't need to wipe down your groceries - the chance of catching it through touching something is absolutely minuscule compared to airborne transmission. I hope that helps.

On that sorta subject, having finally accepted that we're gonna be wearing masks for quite a while I made the effort this week to go online and buy a few 'nice' masks, as opposed to the disposables and freebies i've been using so far. Both new ones that I bought so far are super tight on my ears compared to the ones I've been using so far and for obvious reasons there's no returns, so that's frustrating. The quest continues.

Anybody wanna recommend any sellers? Just looking for nice plain cotton masks in different colours.

blunt fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Sep 20, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still find a bandanna to be by far the most comfortable option and it covers my beard too so it probably works better.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

TACD posted:

AFAIK there has yet to be a confirmed case resulting from fomite transmission. I think it’s massive overkill and you shouldn’t feel bad or in danger for not doing it.

There was one possible case in s. Korea, but even then it was 50/50 at best(?)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
membership cratering then

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1307648527263322120?s=20

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Yes let's... Knock the walls down of our party?

Also people before privilege is an excellent slogan for a knighted DP

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Announcing the new Labour slogan of "We are a political party" and energising our membership with our flagstone policies of changing our slogan and wearing a tie.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would be happier if I didn't think it was likely to work.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

While we're at it, what are the odds on spitting image doing a Corbyn puppet but not a Stairmaster one.

The odds are impossible to calculate, best expressed as an abstract fractal, spiralling upwards not forwards and always twirling, twirling, twirling toward freedom.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

As the saying goes, it's better to have no tent and be pissing yourself than to be inside the tent pissing out.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The only thing Keir's 'strategy' has going for it is that Boris is the Prime Minister. When covid-1 is dealt with and the Tories kick Boris out of a window and usher in someone else, Keir's hosed.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

While we're at it, what are the odds on spitting image doing a Corbyn puppet but not a Stairmaster one.

The odds are impossible to calculate, best expressed as an abstract fractal, spiralling upwards not forwards and always twirling, twirling, twirling toward freedom.

can't wait for the diane abbot puppet that comes on in every scene and gets number wrong ha ha dumb lady

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

OwlFancier posted:

So you think its all a good idea then? What don't you want to work?

minema
May 31, 2011
Following my exposure last week to a covid positive colleague I now have a tickly feeling in my throat and feel that I'm needing to cough to clear it more often but it's not a full on cough I can't hold back. I'm massively second guessing myself about if I should get tested or not - no temperature or loss of taste or smell but I am feeling very tired and lacking massively in energy. My husband is a teacher so I feel like I should play it safe but also don't want to waste testing capacity and the nearest test centre is 45 minutes away :/

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Angepain posted:

can't wait for the diane abbot puppet that comes on in every scene and gets number wrong ha ha dumb lady
gently caress. As well as being horiffically racist, they're going to have her suit on backwards after the whole shoes thing on election day.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

its more likely to work than corbyns plan of appealing to democracy in an oligarchal monarchy and pretending he's leader while his staff publically tears him to shreds with no consequences

but im of two minds over whether kiers strategy is a good idea or a really loving stupid one.
its definitely a good plan to suck up to the media and change all your policies to whatever suits the class interests of the ruling class, if you aren't gonna run some kinda radical strategy for running roughshod over them thats the only real option

but he's running an "i'm proud of britaine" campaign, when i think this might actually be a uniquely bad time to do that.
all the actual pro-britain nuts are voting bojo anyway, whereas i think some centrists are finally coming round to the idea that britain is actually a loving basketcase of corruption and our ruling class couldn't organise a sex party at prince andrew's palace.
obviously the purpose of kier is to act as a release valve for this, to go "no we can do this competently" and try to disappate all of that (failing and making things worse, naturally) while still continuing the corruption and malfeasance of the state since thats been his whole career. he'll make it so the russian and saudi oligarchs have to sign everything in triplicate when they buy MPs.

i guess maybe it happened with tony? but i don't really see that tories are gonna vote for labour though, which seems to be their whole plan.
bojos plan is just to fire up his base with culture war poo poo and get them all frothing and foaming, whereas kiers plan is the opposite, trash his base and appeal directly to the media and ruling class as the least threatening man possible to their interests

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

To be fair they can do Keith easily with a bog standard unmodified mannequin :geno:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

minema posted:

Following my exposure last week to a covid positive colleague I now have a tickly feeling in my throat and feel that I'm needing to cough to clear it more often but it's not a full on cough I can't hold back. I'm massively second guessing myself about if I should get tested or not - no temperature or loss of taste or smell but I am feeling very tired and lacking massively in energy. My husband is a teacher so I feel like I should play it safe but also don't want to waste testing capacity and the nearest test centre is 45 minutes away :/

You're probably over imagining it or whatever but loads of other people went and are going to get tests with no thought to symptoms whatsoever so I wouldn't feel bad about getting a test in your situation.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

NotJustANumber99 posted:

So you think its all a good idea then? What don't you want to work?

I think that it is quite likely to win starmer the premiership, but I think equally that it doesn't matter whether he does, because he is likely to win it by continuing tory policy. It is a good idea for him, but of no use to the rest of us.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 20, 2020

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

gently caress. As well as being horiffically racist, they're going to have her suit on backwards after the whole shoes thing on election day.

Yeah if they managed to make Kanye a racist caricature I can't imagine what they'll do to one of the most racially abused people in the UK.

minema
May 31, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

You're probably over imagining it or whatever but loads of other people went and are going to get tests with no thought to symptoms whatsoever so I wouldn't feel bad about getting a test in your situation.

I also work in a hospital and have worked with covid positive patients as well as sharing a small office with someone that tested positive so urghhh I probably should go. Means my husband can't go in to work tomorrow though and he's already been off twice before due to covid paranoia and I don't want him to start getting the sideye for being off a lot!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

People should be able to go and get a test for whatever reason they feel like, there's a pandemic on. There's no personal responsiblity for the government's shambles of a testing system.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

josh04 posted:

People should be able to go and get a test for whatever reason they feel like, there's a pandemic on. There's no personal responsiblity for the government's shambles of a testing system.

Better yet, GPs should just be able to prescribe tests for their patients rather than leaving them to battle the arcane Glastonbury ticket-esque application process.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

itd be funny to go back to february and tell myself how the government is handling the covid thing at the end of september

i'm pretty pessimistic about things but back then i was like "boy the government are sure gonna have to deal with this otherwise thousands could die"

now 6 months wiser i know there is literally nothing they have to do and probably half the population could die without comment as long as we didn't see them die on the news or if we did but it got blamed on mosques or antifa

e: the combo of mass propaganda and simple divide and conquer culture war might be unbeatable

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

josh04 posted:

it is wild how the Tories have repeatedly gone after a supposed massive group of people applying for tests they don't deserve as the scapegoat. like they only know one way of dealing with a shortage and it's doing a find-and-replace on their Benefit Scroungers Steal Money From Deserving Poor speeches

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

🤔

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The real question that should be asked at PMQs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
how long before starmer boots annalise dodds and replaces her with rachel reeves