Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

At one point they mentioned "anti-photons" in reference to mother in the last episode that is what that disc also absorbed. I think that is how she powers her necromancer mode through her eyes and it probably is not beneficial to look at that directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Caught up with the last two episodes and still really like this show. I agree that it's a good reminder of how safe other shows play it, everything is just so weird with it. I also agree that it may be straying a bit into :lost: territory with the mysterious whispers. The show creator said that answers will be revealed, however, so maybe they are aware of it.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

last two eps were pretty hard to follow

Yeah, they threw a little bit of The Ring in there as well.

What makes the most sense to me right now is that the creator of mother has a simulation going of which they are a part of or something. The scene with mother linked to Ark simulation and the ground starts shaking and rocks lifting up, she isn't even in necromancer form at that point and just of just gets lifted up into it to be saved/explosion device gets blown up in guy's hand/Marcus keeps being told let her live and than when he ignores it he is made to seppuku himself.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Professor Shark posted:

I also agree that it may be straying a bit into :lost: territory with the mysterious whispers. The show creator said that answers will be revealed, however, so maybe they are aware of it.

Although, every single mystery box show had some writer claim, “no don’t worry, it’s going somewhere!” On Battlestar Galactica, they had a literal text card explaining as much. “The cylons have a plan!”

And, you know, they didn’t. So, I’m not holding my breath for satisfying answers, here. Which might be fine, but a bleak post-apocalyptic sci-fi about displaced humans who may or may not be talking with God is conjuring some old frustrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
It's been getting more confusing for me. Everyone seems to be having weird "supernatural" stuff happening to them somehow. The only thing I can think of is that:

It's a simulation still to see how they would react on a planet together. I would smash my tv.

The mystery person who is too fast for a human is another robot from.. somewhere. Or maybe another atheist with one of those super power backpacks. idk

or..

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I mean how bout the rock that incinerated old buddy in the desert???

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The hemorrhoid flare-up killed that man.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Google Butt posted:

I mean how bout the rock that incinerated old buddy in the desert???

The one that's conspicuously the same polygon as the holy symbol incense burners???

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

i like this stupid show

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I just wanna say again how much I enjoy the intro + music, it's goddamn great. I'm usually one to hammer "skip intro" on netflix or the +30sec on the remote but this one, nope dig it every time.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

Philthy posted:

It's been getting more confusing for me. Everyone seems to be having weird "supernatural" stuff happening to them somehow. The only thing I can think of is that:

It's a simulation still to see how they would react on a planet together. I would smash my tv.

The mystery person who is too fast for a human is another robot from.. somewhere. Or maybe another atheist with one of those super power backpacks. idk

or..

I have a feeling aliens are gonna be involved somehow, Father mentioned that the giant dragon things that made the holes are extinct but I'm pretty sure the holes haven't actually been explored, and the ghost girl (Tally) is the one who fell down one of them. Also, Mother and Father were somehow unaware of the existence of (non-sapient, but still) actual living aliens on the surface after years of living there. My guess - there's some weird poo poo going on underground.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

priznat posted:

I just wanna say again how much I enjoy the intro + music, it's goddamn great. I'm usually one to hammer "skip intro" on netflix or the +30sec on the remote but this one, nope dig it every time.

Also this, it does a great job of setting the somber tone of the show while also getting the basics of the backstory across in a really cool animation style.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Hirsute posted:

Also this, it does a great job of setting the somber tone of the show while also getting the basics of the backstory across in a really cool animation style.

Yeah! And the lyrics change a bit on some episodes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't agree with the Lost comparisons. There is a degree of mystery with this omnipresent force that is causing hallucinations etc, and whatever it is, is behind everything. To me at least, the show doesn't feel like a puzzle box, just that something is loving with them and we don't know exactly what yet. I don't feel like they are digging themselves into a hole like lost did or anything. The mystery is only a small part of the show. It's not like, the ultimate goal or anything.

I do worry a bit that it will all end up being a simulation, which would be terrible. "it's actually god' would be a more satisfying answer tbh. And the show it weird enough I wouldn't put it past them.

But agreed, the simulation theory would be the worst thing they could do unless they did something amazing with it. But I'm not convinced that is what it is, so I'll just wait and find out.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I like this show, I have the feeling it's going to turn to poo poo, but in a fun way. Same feeling as I had with Westworld, which turned out to be mostly sort of correct.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Have we gone over that the monsters are basically crawling man-animals? Like it cant be a coincidence that the human colonization effort picked a perfectly habitable planet where all the mega fauna (snakes) are dead and only some weird devolved human things are crawling around.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Gaj posted:

Have we gone over that the monsters are basically crawling man-animals? Like it cant be a coincidence that the human colonization effort picked a perfectly habitable planet where all the mega fauna (snakes) are dead and only some weird devolved human things are crawling around.

yeah maybe there's a reason yet to be explained why the dude who reprogrammed mother chose this planet in particular

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

like maybe mother isn't the only thing he sent o.O

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Ugh I just realized the trope that may make some of this make sense. Time dilation. So we know it took the atheist ship 1 year and the religious ark took 13 to reach the same destination. But we dont know their actual mode of travel and so they may be affected by some weird space-time physics. They each FELT that amount of time passing but who knows how much actual time passed. The man-animals on the planet may either be the devolved ancestors of a failed colonization from years before that have spent eons getting to their current state. It seems most of the things you would readily eat are radioactive or poisonous to some degree and that may have aided in any degeneration.

OR the man-animals are from a 3rd, later evacuation from earth that somehow got to Kepler instantaneously. So even if they left 1 or 100 years after the ark, they would still have time to settle and devolve. I dont know squat about space time theory.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
It's still pretty open but I feel like the people wanting this to be a hard sci-fi show with clear stare into the camera answers are going to be really pissed off.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

SunshineDanceParty posted:

It's still pretty open but I feel like the people wanting this to be a hard sci-fi show with clear stare into the camera answers are going to be really pissed off.

nobody wants that but it can def swing too far the other way and be dumb as a result

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i cant believe they reprogrammed father into kratos

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

priznat posted:

Yeah! And the lyrics change a bit on some episodes.

poo poo, they do? I watched it properly the first few times but I’ve been letting it play and letting myself be distracted otherwise

I hope it isn’t aliens. This show has done schizo human culture so well I don’t think they have enough imagination bandwidth left for cool aliens that aren’t boring.

edit: I’m happier with time dilation other colonists (that of course then makes all of our humans into cannibals but what are you gonna do?) and like, god being a left behind supercomputer acting through inducing hallucinations or something with magnetic waves

wolfs fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Sep 20, 2020

Woden
May 6, 2006
Wasn't the rapist told to rape because of voices in his head? If that's a thing then they shouldn't be tied to the planet.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
If I had to guess, it's some sort of subliminal conditioning tied to the stasis pods. Being connected to them does something to your brain that causes you to hear these voices speaking in phrases that deal with their particular religion and it's vague prophecies. Probably programmed by the high clerics or whomever is in charge to reinforce their faith. And Mother and Father seeing things and hearing things could mean that their original Mithraic programming is somehow working it's way back to the surface. But Mother is experiencing it quicker than Father was because she kept interacting with the pod. Reminds me of the Demolition Man cryoprison conditioning where Simon Phoenix became a master hacker while he was in stasis and John Spartan knew how to knit things.

Of course, that's just me throwing darts blindly at a board. I'm probably terribly wrong and it's something impossibly scifi.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Sep 20, 2020

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

There is definitely some weird AI faction involved in all of this. It's the thing that mother talked to in the pod VR and that wanted to recruit her.

Maybe it's actually Sol and everyone can hear the god AI because they are all cylons androids

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gonz posted:

If I had to guess, it's some sort of subliminal conditioning tied to the stasis pods. Being connected to them does something to your brain that causes you to hear these voices speaking in phrases that deal with their particular religion and it's vague prophecies. Probably programmed by the high clerics or whomever is in charge to reinforce their faith. And Mother and Father seeing things and hearing things could mean that their original Mithraic programming is somehow working it's way back to the surface. But Mother is experiencing it quicker than Father was because she kept interacting with the pod. Reminds me of the Demolition Man cryoprison conditioning where Simon Phoenix became a master hacker while he was in stasis and John Spartan knew how to knit things.

Of course, that's just me throwing darts blindly at a board. I'm probably terribly wrong and it's something impossibly scifi.

Yeah, this was my theory from a few weeks ago, but I'm beginning to think it can't track any more. Campion is also seeing Tally, and his mind has never been in contact with any Mithraic technology.

I do wonder if we're seeing TWO AI, instead of just the one. One from the Arc of Heaven, and one from the planet (and the giant rock). The former is in all the Mithraic technology, while the latter is connected to all the vents. Heaven and Hell, God and the Devil. Makes sense to me.

(I assume we're due to see the return of the robot that fell down the vent too, given that everything else that's fallen down there has turned up again).

EDIT: It's the shuttle! The AI only started being able to gently caress with the colonists after the shuttle fell down the hole and was assimilated by its technology. That, and the burst of energy from the exploding engines provided it with the ability to start manipulating people.

And that's where the creatures come from too! They're based on the other 30 embryos that were in the back of the craft.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Sep 20, 2020

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Woden posted:

Wasn't the rapist told to rape because of voices in his head? If that's a thing then they shouldn't be tied to the planet.

I recall him saying something about being commanded to be fruitful

It could be just some generic doctrine in their scriptures

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
My theory is that the planet has some properties that were known to the founders of the Mithriatic religion and that all the prophecies, the Ark etc have been designed to lure them into paticipating in some sort of malevolent social experiment, previously set up by behind the scenes actors.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

My theory is that the planet has some properties that were known to the founders of the Mithriatic religion and that all the prophecies, the Ark etc have been designed to lure them into paticipating in some sort of malevolent social experiment, previously set up by behind the scenes actors.

This makes a lot of sense. The original Campion's actions are completely baffling in most other contexts. He goes to all this effort to set up a caretaker and a new start for humanity and sends them with... 12 embryos? Even if we assume genetic modification to remove the initial downsides of inbreeding or something that's still not enough to create a viable colony for centuries, with no room for error in the meantime. And it is definitely only 12, they didn't leave any in the ship, father explicitly says in the first episode that they only had 12.

And then the second, most confusing thing of it all: he sends the atheists to the exact same planet as the ark? He had to have known about the ark as a high level defector. Was the goal to set up a small community that would assimilate into the ark civilization? He had to have known the Mithraic wouldn't stand for that. Maybe it was just the only viable candidate for colonization in the entire galaxy. Either way, it's weird and the idea that it's all a setup explains a lot.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

What robot fell down a vent?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Gadzuko posted:

And then the second, most confusing thing of it all: he sends the atheists to the exact same planet as the ark? He had to have known about the ark as a high level defector. Was the goal to set up a small community that would assimilate into the ark civilization? He had to have known the Mithraic wouldn't stand for that. Maybe it was just the only viable candidate for colonization in the entire galaxy. Either way, it's weird and the idea that it's all a setup explains a lot.

I think it was mentioned that this was the only (nearby?) planet capable of sustaining human life

Woden
May 6, 2006

Hexel posted:

I recall him saying something about being commanded to be fruitful

It could be just some generic doctrine in their scriptures

He also said Sol is no longer talking to him, if it's not the same thing that's talking to Marcus then idk wtf.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

wolfs posted:

What robot fell down a vent?

One of the twin enforcers used by the Mithraics, sent out by their former leader when Mother attacked the base. Mother quickly incapacitated her, and then plucked out one of her eyes. Then the robot came to and deliberately threw herself down one of the shafts.

Woden posted:

He also said Sol is no longer talking to him, if it's not the same thing that's talking to Marcus then idk wtf.

During Marcus's first vision (where he stabs his wife to death), he hallucinates himself as turning into the rapist man. I think the connection there is very clear.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!
In the first episode Mother says that they are to name the youngest after their creator, ostensibly somebody else named Campion. God I hope we don’t get into time travel grandfather paradox fuckery.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I hope we get into as much weird fuckery as possible

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Odoyle posted:

In the first episode Mother says that they are to name the youngest after their creator, ostensibly somebody else named Campion. God I hope we don’t get into time travel grandfather paradox fuckery.

They already showed Campion Sr. Who ‘created’ her.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Odoyle posted:

That's just the robot fetishist guy

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

But if it is a time traveling Campion then were getting into the whole “I’m hot for my robot mom and she’s into me” fuckery :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

oh.

so it’s 4 or 5 Campions, then?

Dead Earth Campion
13 y.o. Campion
Hooded Figure Campion
Ghost in the Machine Campion

plus or minus shadow Campions or Campions that have had robot surgery to look different or clone Campions

planet of the Campions

this dovetails with the idea that this planet was a setup: the Ur Campion was from a powerful Mithra cult family then went “traitor” - maybe it’s all to be a self fulfilling time travel prophecy by the cult / this family but it gets waylaid by the existence of Paul or something

wolfs fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 20, 2020