Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

oh god i've gotten back into arcanum

https://www.lerpinglemur.com/arcanum/

think there's like two more layers of classes plus what looks like a prestige system since i last played

I thought the arcanum guy threw in the towel and left it a buggy mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
He open sourced it I believe.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

re:idle wizard

Please kill me. This is 17 hours in. A beginner guide suggested this can be done in <2 hours when playing actively.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
According to the discord this is the place to play it as it tries to be relatively stable https://shokkuno.gitlab.io/arcanum/.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
is it still pants on head crazy with regards to progression? that was always the best part

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

KazigluBey posted:

Expeditions are weird, I ended up not engaging with the feature at all because there's an option to just idle through it, which works offline too. No need for premium. The keys are for end-game expeditions and are obtained via (normally post-equipment) crafting.

Just past 1e50 mysteries is where Exorcist does pretty well for the first time. 1e60+ Necromancer works like a charm too, but is the most idle/offline of any build so keep that in mind, ~10 day runs are average with Necromancer. Voidmancer and Demonologist do fine too.

At this point you may want to begin looking into doing Challenges, there's 100 of them and they're permanent progress with good rewards.

I have a question. I am following along a little starter guide on steam. It had this to say for one of the challenges

quote:

Infernal Crops : 3h43
25 Empathy, rest Wisdom
It can (probably) be sped up by not using wisdom but instead 100 SC, 25 insight and excess patience.

Use Demon to reach lvl 70, then switch to spellhound.
Before reaching lvl 81, keep void lure and void automaton in the spell bar. Once you're 81, switch them for Hellrage and Goblet of Fire.
Wait until the total pet XP (you can see it in the stats menu NOT on the pet icon) is 5e11 or above.

I am not sure I understand why they used the demon and then switched to the hound. Why not just start with the hound?

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

pokie posted:

re:idle wizard

Please kill me. This is 17 hours in. A beginner guide suggested this can be done in <2 hours when playing actively.

From the wiki: "Just go with golem, took me maybe 20 min with 125 attributes"

As a general rule of thumb there are very few truly active challenges that take more than a couple dozen minutes of attention, and there's probably a way to idle the challenge in the background. Exceptions are primarily failable challenges. e.: If a challenge seems to be dragging on it probably means you can do something else to make it faster before attempting it. In some cases that's having more Mysteries, and for challenges like your one where you don't get to use your Mysteries number the answer tends to be attribute points, either having more or distributing them more efficiently.

pokie posted:

I am not sure I understand why they used the demon and then switched to the hound. Why not just start with the hound?

Demon has a profit modifier and generates mana per ten seconds, spellhound only produces shards for your spells. As a result of this, Demon lets you build up your Sources/Upgrades better before you transition to the combo that you use to close out the challenge.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 18, 2020

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

KazigluBey posted:

Demon has a profit modifier and generates mana per ten seconds, spellhound only produces shards for your spells. As a result of this, Demon lets you build up your Sources/Upgrades better before you transition to the combo that you use to close out the challenge.

OK, I understand. I have not internalized all of the pet roles yet, but from other sources it sounded like spellhound was a pet used during buildup before comboing with something like a devourer or golem, at least for the early game druid builds. I guess in this case it's easier to level spellhound really high for the challenge's spell.

E: Just baaarely beat These Will Suffice III - I was 7 sources short at 58 min mark and was sure I will fail but came back to a win. I must have gotten a lucky bat.

void dude is ok

pokie fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 18, 2020

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Synergism 2.0 has an official release date of the 25th. I played with the beta a few times over the past few months and I'm not a huge fan of where it's at -- the new ascension mechanic feels very, very slow and doesn't give you a lot of meaningful choices for a long time. You ascend, get a practically meaningless amount of the new resource, then build back up to ants in 20 minutes, then sit there for a day or two periodically dumping offerings and obtainium. It's similar to the slow start when transitioning to transcensions and reincarnations, except orders of magnitude longer.

I'll still play it, of course. :shrug:

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I ran out of things to wish for. I should probably go to sadistic mode. Weirdly, I still have months and months of ITOPOD perks to buy. Is there another PP earning bonus is sad mode to help with that?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Bedurndurn posted:

I ran out of things to wish for. I should probably go to sadistic mode. Weirdly, I still have months and months of ITOPOD perks to buy. Is there another PP earning bonus is sad mode to help with that?

You'll unlock cards, which are another source of bonuses to everything.

You'll run out of perks to buy one day... I just did recently. I still have a few quirks left, but I should have those done in the next couple of weeks, and they're not really useful quirks anyway.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Another Idle Wizard question. What's the best way to push wizard levels? I am tying to unlock pit lord, and it need level 100, but I am stuck on 97 for a day now. I understand the basic premise that exp depends on multiple action categories and they all have diminishing returns.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Synergism 2.0 has an official release date of the 25th. I played with the beta a few times over the past few months and I'm not a huge fan of where it's at -- the new ascension mechanic feels very, very slow and doesn't give you a lot of meaningful choices for a long time. You ascend, get a practically meaningless amount of the new resource, then build back up to ants in 20 minutes, then sit there for a day or two periodically dumping offerings and obtainium. It's similar to the slow start when transitioning to transcensions and reincarnations, except orders of magnitude longer.

I'll still play it, of course. :shrug:

Yeah I think Synergism is running out of shine for me. I'm at the Pre-Challenge10 grind and I've basically done the same thing for a week now with no real variation.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah I think Synergism is running out of shine for me. I'm at the Pre-Challenge10 grind and I've basically done the same thing for a week now with no real variation.

I gave up on it when I had to grind for the research thingies you get once every 50 seconds (quarks?), when the upgrades to make them faster started costing 10 points.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

pokie posted:

Another Idle Wizard question. What's the best way to push wizard levels? I am tying to unlock pit lord, and it need level 100, but I am stuck on 97 for a day now. I understand the basic premise that exp depends on multiple action categories and they all have diminishing returns.

XP is gained from:
Mana pool (passive): Gathering Mana
Sources pool (passive): Building sources
Click pool (active): Clicks & Autoclicks
Collectable pool (active): Collecting Void Entities & excess Hallowed clicks (Exorcist) & Liquid Shadow spent (Umbramancer)
Spell pool (active): Casting spells

If it feels like you've plateaued then you probably have. Best thing to do is to put your current target on the backburner and just focus on Mysteries for a stretch, at the point where you're at that's the best way to increase your leveling potential.

Later on both Challenges and Equipment grant you some MASSIVE XP bonuses that help you push even further.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Falcon2001 posted:

Talisman upgrades become the biggest roadblock. You basically need 3 of them maxed out or 4 of them mostly maxed out to be able to complete challenge 10. Ants are the only realistic way to get the upgrade resource, and it's just a slog of 15 minute sacrifices. Then, in the new patch, you finish challenge 10 and can ascend. Back to the grind for another few days.

It speeds up after the first few ascensions, but that still means you're talking about a week or two before you can complete challenge 10 in less than a day or two of grinding. And since challenge 11+ require you to complete 10 first, there's a real penalty to experimenting with higher challenges until you can knock out a 10 in a few minutes.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
https://mrredshark77.github.io/incremental-merge/
Looks like Prestige Tree/Distance Incremental-likes are gonna be a thing now. Pretty repetitive so far, though.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

KazigluBey posted:

XP is gained from:
Mana pool (passive): Gathering Mana
Sources pool (passive): Building sources
Click pool (active): Clicks & Autoclicks
Collectable pool (active): Collecting Void Entities & excess Hallowed clicks (Exorcist) & Liquid Shadow spent (Umbramancer)
Spell pool (active): Casting spells

If it feels like you've plateaued then you probably have. Best thing to do is to put your current target on the backburner and just focus on Mysteries for a stretch, at the point where you're at that's the best way to increase your leveling potential.

Later on both Challenges and Equipment grant you some MASSIVE XP bonuses that help you push even further.

Yeah, that makes sense. The only thing I can really do is switch pets to a voidfiend and farm entities.

E: I just went from e65 to e70 with pit lord :O. It was nice.

pokie fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 19, 2020

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
For NGU: I've just gotten into Evil difficulty. Should I just make a beeline for the next adventure zone after Chocolate World, or are there any challenges I would want to complete first (I've done the Basic Challenge)?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

https://mrredshark77.github.io/incremental-merge/
Looks like Prestige Tree/Distance Incremental-likes are gonna be a thing now. Pretty repetitive so far, though.

It reminds me of some phone idle games, but with less options than those. I stopped playing before I hit the prestige layer, so unless something drastically changes when you prestige for the first time, I'll pass.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Randalor posted:

It reminds me of some phone idle games, but with less options than those. I stopped playing before I hit the prestige layer, so unless something drastically changes when you prestige for the first time, I'll pass.

I got three layers of resets deep and dropped it

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

GrossMurpel posted:

Looks like Prestige Tree/Distance Incremental-likes are gonna be a thing now.

Seen several games in this «sub-genre» lately, e.g. Idle Merge, whose entire gameplay consisted of mashing the merge button (or hold down enter), at least for the hour i played it. Not sure why «idle» was in the name.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ineptitude posted:

Seen several games in this «sub-genre» lately, e.g. Idle Merge, whose entire gameplay consisted of mashing the merge button (or hold down enter), at least for the hour i played it. Not sure why «idle» was in the name.

As you smash merge you eventually start getting energy and between that and prestige you can automate merging and upgrade buying

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Idle-merge (Incremental-merge?) is very active idle game and doesn't have too many interesting decisions for player, which makes it bit disappointing. There is not real decisions to make before third reset layer which is too little too late, IMO.

Banemaster fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 20, 2020

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
And even then that lasts a grand total of an hour max because you've got enough points in all the different colors. After that point you mash Buy and Recycle until you have at least one of each and then fill in your -Merger box.

EDIT: Okay, now that I've got a bunch of milestones that changes again. Remember that lovely Energy mechanic, where there's a small chance on Merge for you to gain 1 energy to begin with? That comes back except this time your auto-merge is buried further in. Hope you love mispressing the Recycle button while holding down enter to lose your small progress!

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 20, 2020

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I liked it once you get deep into sacrifices and challenges. The color-coded stuff was a bit annoying but luckily you get insane benefits even just from having a single color active for like 10 seconds.

Ineptitude posted:

I just wanna re-iterate this for anyone playing these javascript idlers: For most of them, you can hold down enter to repeatedly click the last button you clicked, this saves you hundreds of clicks without an autoclicker in some cases.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Cockmaster posted:

For NGU: I've just gotten into Evil difficulty. Should I just make a beeline for the next adventure zone after Chocolate World, or are there any challenges I would want to complete first (I've done the Basic Challenge)?

You should try aiming for Evilverse. Everything will be slow, so try to stick with Normal NGUs as you build things up.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Cockmaster posted:

Start with 1 basic challenge, then beeline for next zone for the gold. BTW I have a guide on steam for all your evil difficulty needs.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

https://www.kongregate.com/games/SamuraiGames/another-chronicle-b-ver?haref=HP_HNG_another-chronicle-b-ver

I think we've had another chronicle show up here before, some long while back.
Due to kongregate not taking in new games, the dev(s) opted to have to have the full version be an update for the beta instead of a standalone.
Somewhat, ah. Less good is that it looks like there is a hard wall on progressing out of the early game.
It should still be fine to try for a few hours, but might want to give it a bit longer before getting into it to see if future updates ease up on the grind.

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 23, 2020

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Gave Incremental merge another go (I called it Idle Merge earlier but it was this one i meant)

It scratches the numbers go up itch but there is not a lot of decision making and the game feels fairly short.
I have atomized 16 times now but not sure i can be bothered to do more.
It IS interesting that it is random which atom merger you get so a tactic the first few atomizings is to keep resetting and rebuying the atom mergers to get the good ones (purple is literally useless, white and black are fairly useless as well, red is spectacularly good for the first atomize)

One thing i simply cant figure out however is how energy unlocks. It seems pretty random. I have gotten so far as to be ready for a new atomize before energy even unlocks for a few of my resets.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

Gave Incremental merge another go (I called it Idle Merge earlier but it was this one i meant)

It scratches the numbers go up itch but there is not a lot of decision making and the game feels fairly short.
I have atomized 16 times now but not sure i can be bothered to do more.
It IS interesting that it is random which atom merger you get so a tactic the first few atomizings is to keep resetting and rebuying the atom mergers to get the good ones (purple is literally useless, white and black are fairly useless as well, red is spectacularly good for the first atomize)

One thing i simply cant figure out however is how energy unlocks. It seems pretty random. I have gotten so far as to be ready for a new atomize before energy even unlocks for a few of my resets.

Energy unlocks when you get at least 1 energy. Getting energy is a random chance from merging.
It's very annoying when you're this deep in the game, the 100 atomize milestone of always having energy unlocked is ridiculously strong for that reason.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

how da heck do i get my adventure guy strong enough to be able to farm the mega lands in NGU idle?

i've unlocked the beard world but my adventure guy is just waaay behind. i've got the full gaudy set all completely upgraded and boosted and i dont think I can get anything better right now gear-wise.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

how da heck do i get my adventure guy strong enough to be able to farm the mega lands in NGU idle?

i've unlocked the beard world but my adventure guy is just waaay behind. i've got the full gaudy set all completely upgraded and boosted and i dont think I can get anything better right now gear-wise.

Welcome to walls, those magical times where maxing the gear just isn't enough to move on.

Basically, you just wait, build up permanent beard bonus on BEARd, and also make sure you're using Iron Pill as often as you can with all the magic you can safely divert to blood. If you're tempted to buy adventure stats though, you shouldn't really need to until well into Evil difficulty.

Edit: Whoops, I misread "unlocked beard world" and thought you already had those.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 25, 2020

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Arcanuse posted:

https://www.kongregate.com/games/SamuraiGames/another-chronicle-b-ver?haref=HP_HNG_another-chronicle-b-ver

I think we've had another chronicle show up here before, some long while back.
Due to kongregate not taking in new games, the dev(s) opted to have to have the full version be an update for the beta instead of a standalone.
Somewhat, ah. Less good is that it looks like there is a hard wall on progressing out of the early game.
It should still be fine to try for a few hours, but might want to give it a bit longer before getting into it to see if future updates ease up on the grind.

Hard wall is right. Essentially you're locked out of any progress around Ritual 6 because of a dps check. It sounds like it can be breached by Ritual level 8 and some grinding in the Familiar routine but you will be spending something on the order of 10+ hours with minimal interaction to get to starting that.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Akratic Method posted:

Welcome to walls, those magical times where maxing the gear just isn't enough to move on.

Basically, you just wait, build up permanent beard bonus on BEARd, and also make sure you're using Iron Pill as often as you can with all the magic you can safely divert to blood. If you're tempted to buy adventure stats though, you shouldn't really need to until well into Evil difficulty.

how do i unlock beards?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You've gotta beat UUG, the titan after Mega Lands :viggo:

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Sage Grimm posted:

Hard wall is right. Essentially you're locked out of any progress around Ritual 6 because of a dps check. It sounds like it can be breached by Ritual level 8 and some grinding in the Familiar routine but you will be spending something on the order of 10+ hours with minimal interaction to get to starting that.

The comment spoke the truth.
Things ease up after, briefly. can grind for inspiration to get stronger with after crunching the orc, but after burning through the readily available options comes... More grind.
Don't have much advice for grind round #2, but getting a flower fairy if you haven't already (generates weeds + flowers) and putting Norn in the party for extra exp eases up inspiration grinding. somewhat.
oh, and due to how familiar works (Levels of summon familiar are divided between checked options) may as well keep it on summon speed until you need it.
Nothing to make orc easier though.

late E: also, apparently holding shift when mousing over your monsters lets you see what their default skill does. Learned this from the discord, don't recall seeing it explained in-game.

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Sep 24, 2020

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

You've gotta beat UUG, the titan after Mega Lands :viggo:

he just oneshots me every single time

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

juggalo baby coffin posted:

he just oneshots me every single time

Do you have the special item needed to take him on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Klungar posted:

Do you have the special item needed to take him on?

no i don't know which one that is