Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I’m brand new to this and just borked my setup again today so probably don’t trust me on this but I’m pretty sure from my understanding home assistant is effectively the operating system of the pi, it’s not just a program that runs on it.

I’m not sure about what a pi hole is except in theory but I imagine it’s similar in that you need a dedicated pi for just that task as well.

Pretty sure Home Assistant and Pi-Hole are just Linux apps that have been optimized for installation on Pi configs with ease. My research says they should happily co-exist with perhaps having to changing the IP/Port.

I'm less concerned with them working together then one Pi 4 2Gb not having the system overhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Three Olives posted:

Pretty sure Home Assistant and Pi-Hole are just Linux apps that have been optimized for installation on Pi configs with ease. My research says they should happily co-exist with perhaps having to changing the IP/Port.

I'm less concerned with them working together then one Pi 4 2Gb not having the system overhead.

Home Assistant has a customized OS (a cut down Linux variant) so not quite just an app on top of Linux.

But it does have support for running other things in docker containers via the add on system. The PiHole add on is deprecated but there’s an Adguard Home add on which is similar in function.

ComradeBigT
Sep 9, 2014

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I’m brand new to this and just borked my setup again today so probably don’t trust me on this but I’m pretty sure from my understanding home assistant is effectively the operating system of the pi, it’s not just a program that runs on it.

I’m not sure about what a pi hole is except in theory but I imagine it’s similar in that you need a dedicated pi for just that task as well.

You do not need to have separate Pi’s to run pihole & home assistant.

Yes, both softwares have versions that are installed as a stripped OS, but you’re also able to use versions that install to whatever OS you may already be using.

One common option is to use docker which can be setup to use separate containers for the pihole setup and the home assistant setup, which generally eliminates most unwanted interactions different sets of software might have (I don’t think Pihole and HA have any issues like that anyway). Docker definitely can be the more complicated option, but if you plan on setting up other networking tools or whatever else on your pi, adding new setups can be very easy, and with no risk of the new thing messing up anything else. I would recommend that option over using the home assistant add on with the pihole software, mentioned above. A big benefit of docker is isolating stuff, which is kinda lost if you just stuff everything in the same container anyway.

To the other question about the effect on your fiber speeds, they have a little faq directly about that:
https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/will-pi-hole-slow-down-my-network/2048

(it shouldn’t make anything slower)

In terms of being able to run both, I think the main concern would be about how much stuff you’re running on HA. I’ve had a setup with both on a pi3b with no issues really, but I only had some basic timing setups, cameras, and some sensors running, and nothing very complicated.

ComradeBigT fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Sep 19, 2020

ickna
May 19, 2004

Three Olives posted:

So I've been thinking about dicking around with Home Assistant given I have all the time in the world now with no end in sight. I've also kept meaning to put a Pi-Hole in, Pi-Hole is probably a bigger priority.

Are there any issues with running them on the same Pi? I was thinking a Pi 4 2 gig. It looks like the overhead requirements of both are fairly minimal and Pi-Hole runs just fine on older devices. I also have a lot of smart home devices and symmetrical gigabit fiber, I don't know what the overhead of the Pi-Hole software is but it seems conceivable that it could be overloaded with a barrage of DNSs resolving very quickly.

you can do both on a pi 4 no problem. it is highly recommended to run it in headless mode / ssh, and set up pihole and home assistant as docker containers.

edit: mega beaten

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

You should be able to run both on the same pi 4 (I did for a long time), might be annoying if you tinker with it a lot and interrupt the dns for your whole network though.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I had two cameras in the basement to just spy on the cats when they go down there. One is "Catmera" and the other is "Purrvalence". What should I name my other two cat cameras?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Meowopticon? Petopticon?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

KittyBG

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

OnlyCats

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Toxoplasmonitor

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Closed Purrcuit TV

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Catterbait
Cat Roulette

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 22, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just set up my hallway light to turn on whenever I walk by my thermostat and I feel like a GOD now

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

FCKGW posted:

I just set up my hallway light to turn on whenever I walk by my thermostat and I feel like a GOD now

Speaking of...

Is there any way around the time delay built in to the Ecobee sensors?

I tried to do something like this, but there's such a heavy filter on all the Ecobee occupancy sensors that it doesn't work well at all.

I'm using HomeAssistant. I can access all the sensors, but they don't turn on for a bit, and when they do they stay on for like 30 minutes minimum. I understand why since they're meant to control the HVAC, but it's annoying that the filter is on the sensor itself and isn't processed elsewhere on the thermostat.

edit: I should clarify, I'm accessing the sensors via the HomeAssistant Ecobee integration. So I'm not talking to the sensors directly... not sure if that makes a difference.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Kalman posted:

Home Assistant has a customized OS (a cut down Linux variant) so not quite just an app on top of Linux.

But it does have support for running other things in docker containers via the add on system. The PiHole add on is deprecated but there’s an Adguard Home add on which is similar in function.

You can also just run both in docker containers on just about any system as well.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

DaveSauce posted:

Speaking of...

Is there any way around the time delay built in to the Ecobee sensors?

I tried to do something like this, but there's such a heavy filter on all the Ecobee occupancy sensors that it doesn't work well at all.

I'm using HomeAssistant. I can access all the sensors, but they don't turn on for a bit, and when they do they stay on for like 30 minutes minimum. I understand why since they're meant to control the HVAC, but it's annoying that the filter is on the sensor itself and isn't processed elsewhere on the thermostat.

edit: I should clarify, I'm accessing the sensors via the HomeAssistant Ecobee integration. So I'm not talking to the sensors directly... not sure if that makes a difference.

I'm using Ecobee and that's the exact problem I'm having. I have an automation to turn on the light and turn them off after a minute. The problem is that the Ecobee stays triggered as "Occupied" for a long time so the light will turn off but won't be able to turn on again until the Ecobee goes to unoccupied and is triggered again.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Are Wyze cameras accesed via the LAN when the phone is in the same network? Or is it always via WAN?

Mainly I ask because I was thinking of just connecting them to the guest network, but I guess it's kind of annoying that I'll be dependent on having an internet connection to access them.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Are Wyze cameras accesed via the LAN when the phone is in the same network? Or is it always via WAN?

Mainly I ask because I was thinking of just connecting them to the guest network, but I guess it's kind of annoying that I'll be dependent on having an internet connection to access them.

Alerts and clips get sent up to the cloud, but live viewing stays on local LAN if you're on the same network. It seems like it might need internet access to authenticate access via Wyze's servers though.

From their forums:

quote:

If you don’t turn on motion/sound detection, then nothing is sent to the cloud.

If you are on the same local network as the camera, the stream is point to point and stays within your network. You do need outside internet access briefly to authorize and start the stream.

Starting the stream is a simple a tapping the camera thumbnail. It runs through three steps to connect, usually within a couple of seconds.

They also released a firmware that has RTSP support if you want to use them with VLC or some IP Camera software and disable cloud access completely.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 23, 2020

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Is there a cheap kind of indoor security camera that would record a revolving amount of time to an SD card? I don't need cloud storage or anything. It doesn't need to be discreet, it's to record family interactions with someone who's memory isn't the best anymore. Everything I find seems to be a quick 15 to 30 second recording to a cloud presumably for security reasons. I just want something where we can pull out the SD card and review?

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 23, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Croatoan posted:

Is there a cheap kind of indoor security camera that would record a revolving amount of time to an SD card? I don't need cloud storage or anything. It doesn't need to be discreet, it's to record family interactions with someone who's memory isn't the best anymore. Everything I find seems to be a quick 15 to 30 second recording to a cloud presumably for security reasons. I just want something where we can pull out the SD card and review?

The aforementioned Wyze cameras will do continuous recording to an SD card. They run about $25.
https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360029728632-microSD-and-Continuous-Recording

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Thanks man! I thought had read up and on Amazon they very much don't tell you that, I assume it's to get you to sub to the services I don't want to pay for.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Croatoan posted:

Thanks man! I thought had read up and on Amazon they very much don't tell you that, I assume it's to get you to sub to the services I don't want to pay for.

Wyze are selling their cameras pretty cheap so yeah, they wanna recoup some of those dev costs.

They seem to have a pretty nerdy engineering team however (they were a Kickstarter company originally) and have been doing little things that benefit their community like releasing fw that enables the cameras to be used as webcams back when the whole WFH webcam shortage hit pretty hard.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I know I feel like I'm just spamming for Wyze stuff, but they put pre-orders of their upcoming video doorbell product earlier this week. Won't ship to Jan 2021 though.

$30 for a cloud enabled video doorbell is pretty impressive.
https://wyze.com/wyze-doorbell.html

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

FCKGW posted:

The aforementioned Wyze cameras will do continuous recording to an SD card. They run about $25.
https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360029728632-microSD-and-Continuous-Recording

Just to add my recent personal experience with this, the Wyze app is garbage at exporting continuous records and accessing them from the computer involves spicing X number of 10 second video files. It was a truly massive pain in the rear end and given the quality of the video you really need to maintain resolution for it to be really usable.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

FCKGW posted:

I know I feel like I'm just spamming for Wyze stuff, but they put pre-orders of their upcoming video doorbell product earlier this week. Won't ship to Jan 2021 though.

$30 for a cloud enabled video doorbell is pretty impressive.
https://wyze.com/wyze-doorbell.html

i'm a wyze fan but if you look at the installation video for the new doorbell, it looks like it just clips into place and someone can just pull it off the wall. with that said, it's only $30 which is probably a great deal in the end.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Acer Pilot posted:

i'm a wyze fan but if you look at the installation video for the new doorbell, it looks like it just clips into place and someone can just pull it off the wall. with that said, it's only $30 which is probably a great deal in the end.

Can't they all be pulled off the wall? Or pretty much any security camera? These cameras are to stop the casual burglar, package thief, or just tell someone to go away if you don't want to talk to them, not someone brazen/stupid enough to steal a camera that has already uploaded pictures of them to the cloud.

In other news, meet the newest Amazon product:

Yes, it's exactly what it looks like, a surveillance drone that flies around your house automatically and uploads the data to Amazon. :stonk:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Three Olives posted:

Yes, it's exactly what it looks like, a surveillance drone that flies around your house automatically and uploads the data to Amazon. :stonk:

Marketing email from your echo dot the next morning:

I see you haven't upgraded to the PlayStation 5(tm) yet, would you like to order one now? I will grant you a $5 digital media coupon if you comply immediately. To comply with this order request, simply say "Alexa, I comply" out loud and salute

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I was given a Eufy robovac recently but put it on pause as I was moving stuff around my house, but it was in need of a good sweep. I think it lasted 3 minutes before I got the alert saying something had jammed on my phone. The future! I'm sure it's nothing complicated and it worked well the times I ran it before, I probably just did something dumb when setting it up this morning. Of course I can't see where it is, because I forgot to plug my camera back in that monitors the lounge when I'm out, doh.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah I thought the idea of a semi-autonomous security drone cam thing flying around the house would be kind of cool but lol if I would bring any Amazon/Ring equipment into my home.

The big Amazon announce fest is usually such a snoozer.. Oh wow an alexa integrated toaster. So at least that is kind of interesting?

Also anyone with a cat, the cat would murder that thing

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So we bought a Google home max for the nursery as a combo voice activated light switch, stereo, and, importantly, it is an official Nest Cam

Now, I can view the "nursery cam" via the Google Home app, I can view it from the official Nest app, and can make video calls to/from the nursery.

What I can't to, is view the nest home max camera from the Google home hub in the kitchen. Google responds with, "ok, streaming the nursery now" but it just shows the clock

It looks like you can view nest cams from the regular home hub, is there a magic trick to view the nest home max from another home hub?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

priznat posted:

Yeah I thought the idea of a semi-autonomous security drone cam thing flying around the house would be kind of cool but lol if I would bring any Amazon/Ring equipment into my home.

The big Amazon announce fest is usually such a snoozer.. Oh wow an alexa integrated toaster. So at least that is kind of interesting?

Also anyone with a cat, the cat would murder that thing

I'm guessing there are parts of the country without ceiling fans in every room.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

LastInLine posted:

I'm guessing there are parts of the country without ceiling fans in every room.

I hate ceiling fans and the only reason they exist in our condo is because they were already there. But I refuse to use them and get blasted with dust, would rather turn on the hvac fan or an air purifier, or a dehumidifier.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Celexi posted:

I hate ceiling fans .............I refuse to use them and get blasted with dust

You're not going to be comfortable about what I have to say about you standard of cleanliness.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Celexi posted:

I hate ceiling fans and the only reason they exist in our condo is because they were already there. But I refuse to use them and get blasted with dust, would rather turn on the hvac fan or an air purifier, or a dehumidifier.

If they're never turned off they don't spread any more dust than anything else and you aren't supposed to ever turn them off. Now turning on your HVAC fan, well, I've got some very bad news about what's in those tubes...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I was talking with a friend who joined the Nest team as a PM in the last year, and they said that there's a proper API coming "soon". I asked in the context of connecting it to open source HA stacks, and they know their way around API, so I'm hopeful that it'll be decent when it rolls out.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I was talking with a friend who joined the Nest team as a PM in the last year, and they said that there's a proper API coming "soon". I asked in the context of connecting it to open source HA stacks, and they know their way around API, so I'm hopeful that it'll be decent when it rolls out.

Certainly the API endpoint will be their cloud service rather than where it's actually wanted: on the device itself.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

FCKGW posted:

Wyze are selling their cameras pretty cheap so yeah, they wanna recoup some of those dev costs.

They seem to have a pretty nerdy engineering team however (they were a Kickstarter company originally) and have been doing little things that benefit their community like releasing fw that enables the cameras to be used as webcams back when the whole WFH webcam shortage hit pretty hard.

Yeah I'll throw kudos at the Wyze guys, too.. I had bought a bad Pan Cam (motor kept seizing) but they shipped me a replacement pretty quickly; they also listen to their users and patch their firmware regularly and seem to be pretty pumped about fixing bugs.. I was getting the fragment error a lot but they just uploaded a new firmware a day ago and it's fixed..

If I remember correctly that HTTP firmware is not officially supported..

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Motronic posted:

Certainly the API endpoint will be their cloud service rather than where it's actually wanted: on the device itself.

You can actually sign up for the program now, but I haven’t looked deeply enough to figure much out. (Was still wrangling tokens when I had to do something else.) You’re likely right, though.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Whoops very much wrong forum for that question

CheddarGoblin fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I live in a condo so I don’t need a camera for security, but I’d like to have something for my living room and bedroom so I can check in on my cats when I have to travel for a few days at a time with motion-sensing recording and cloud storage. With Amazon Prime Day coming up, since Blink only has free cloud storage through the end of the year, is Wyze my best option? Or would I be better served by something that isn’t marketed as a home security camera?