Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Bedshaped posted:

I want for Antony Starr's muscle suit to also be Homelander's muscle suit. Never made sense why someone who could walk unperturbed through solid steel needs big guns.

It'd made perfect sense in-universe. His strength is obviously not based on his muscle size. He can't lift weights or whatever because of his powers, and he's too lazy to want to anyway. He avoids effort to the point where even in his day-job he barely uses his super-strength in favour of just lasering everything in his way. It'd be pretty fitting for him to actually have an ordinary-looking body under a bunch of fake muscles.

ptkfvk posted:

i really want a "I live in a world of cardboard" moment from HL

Durzel posted:

On that note it'll be interesting to see the limits of Homelander's power. Obviously his emotional state is his main weakness, but given we know he can attenuate his laser eyes (warming up the milk) I wonder if he's held back up until now, even with Stormfront.

Homelander has some serious World of Cardboard going on. Literally the happiest he's looked in the whole show is his fantasy when he cuts loose on the crowd of protesters. He radiates tension constantly because he can never lose control for even a split second or he'll destroy everything he has. Even as a kid (at least in the comics) Vought literally strapped him to a nuclear bomb intended to blow up him and the entire facility if he ever lost his temper.

All of which explains why he's so thrilled to have Stormfront who he can knock around without turning into chunky salsa. Although I'm pretty sure he was still holding back, the laser beams he hits her with look a lot less intense than some of his blasts. They looked more like the ones he used to kill Stillwell. So I think Stormfront would still be in a lot of trouble if he were trying to hurt her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Panfilo posted:

I got a question about costume design. What do they call it when they give a costume a 'texture' by having tiny repeating patterns all over it?

First time I noticed it was the Raimi Spider Man movies, then you saw something similar in the more recent Superman movies. In the Star Trek reboot they took the old style uniforms and had tiny starfleet patterns all over it.

In some cases, the pattern is some shape in a raised relief, sometimes it's just a simple pattern to emulate fabric while other times it's more intracate. For instance Homelander's costume has little eagles over it, similar to the repeating 's' symbols on superman'.

This has probably already been answered but, fun fact! In the Star Trek reboot it was done for copyright reasons! Unfortunately I can't remember the source, but iirc it was part of the contractual obligations of the studio making the movie, that they had to differentiate between the previous uniforms in a meaningful way.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ptkfvk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQabrSpKcJw

Well we've thankfully already missed out on the "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex" moment.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

alexandriao posted:

This has probably already been answered but, fun fact! In the Star Trek reboot it was done for copyright reasons! Unfortunately I can't remember the source, but iirc it was part of the contractual obligations of the studio making the movie, that they had to differentiate between the previous uniforms in a meaningful way.

Similarly, Sony actually owns the raised webbing design for Spider-Man's costume from those Raimi films since that had never been done in a comic before.

Marvel has to license it from them for merch.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

ptkfvk posted:

deep is going to end up having to blow the leader of the collective in a reverse honeypot situation.

i like how scared maeve is of HL. its like nobody else really gets what he can do. she knows its gonna take everything to stop him if it comes to a fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQabrSpKcJw

The world of cardboard bit doesn't work with HL because the point of it with Superman is that it's supposed to be an expression of his virtue that he holds back despite having all that power. Its exceptional because he's humble so there are so few moments it's acknowledged. Wheras HL is constantly "I live in a world of cardboard lol"

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 20, 2020

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

alexandriao posted:

That's interesting. I thought it was because the 'mosaic' effect might make the outfits look cooler. In the case of superheroes, it's fine to have their costume have flat colors but in real life this has a tendency to look 'cheap' and fake. I know costume designers have all sorts of tricks to keep costumes from having an unflattering texture or creases.

Most of the the members of the Seven have costumes with this effect. It's notable that the costume that made for starlight is particularly cheap looking especially compared to the rest of the seven.

And related to costumes, I really liked how Incredibles addressed the necessity of the costume to compliment the supe's power set. If you have an 'invulnerable' hero without an invulnerable suit they'll be naked pretty fast from all the damage. Having the suit (or 'armor') be really durable is also a great way to show how strong an attack might be. I doubt they really addressed this in The Boys universe, as the only real 'super science' in the show seems to be Compound V itself.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah it seems in universe nobody minds if they murder criminals, just not bystanders.

Weren't the people who were protesting at the tower mad because Homelander executed the super villain without a trial? If I recall correctly, some people were upset that Osama bin Laden didn't get a trial.

It'll be interesting to see how the show handles the civilians who don't approve of superheroes. Especially with the Compound V reveal. The boys can't be the only ones who are fed up with supes.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Bioshuffle posted:

Weren't the people who were protesting at the tower mad because Homelander executed the super villain without a trial? If I recall correctly, some people were upset that Osama bin Laden didn't get a trial.

He lasered through the super (who just seemed to show off his power and not attack anyone) and a screen to also hit a bystander he did not bother to check for with his supervision.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bioshuffle posted:

Uh guess u weren’t paying attention. He killed a dude hiding behind something by accident. They literally point this out when the pr lady shows Homelander the video.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Romes128 posted:

Uh guess u weren’t paying attention. He killed a dude hiding behind something by accident. They literally point this out when the pr lady shows Homelander the video.

I know he killed the bystander. I was under the impression they were mad that he was running around assassinating people. I don't care about this point enough to derail the thread and get trolled for 20 pages, so I'll just concede.|

CeeJee posted:

He lasered through the super (who just seemed to show off his power and not attack anyone) and a screen to also hit a bystander he did not bother to check for with his supervision.
I was confused about that also. It looked like he was just pushing some stuff with telekinesis and he gets murdered instantly. Is Homelander just going around murdering people who got a copy of Compound V that he was passing around then covering it up as him killing a supe terrorist?

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 20, 2020

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bioshuffle posted:

I know he killed the bystander. I was under the impression they were mad that he was running around assassinating people. I don't care about this point enough to derail the thread and get trolled for 20 pages, so I'll just concede.

so the first thing that pops into your head when people were protesting in the show is cause he killed a supe terrorist, not the innocent young dude that they she clearly showed him in the video, and he reacted to.

you continue to have the shittiest takes in this thread.

also it's not a debate, there's no need to "concede" anything. people are protesting > she shows him the video of him accidentally killing someone > he reacts > he goes to the protest. I really don't know how someone can read anything else from that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

massive spider posted:

The world of cardboard bit doesn't work with HL because the point of it with Superman is that it's supposed to be an expression of his virtue that he holds back despite having all that power. Its exceptional because he's humble so there are so few moments it's acknowledged. Wheras HL is constantly "I live in a world of cardboard lol"

Uhhh Superman just killed a dozen people in that clip and caused hundreds of millions of dollars of damage. If The Boys showed exactly that scene it would be played as a major scandal.

lol indeed

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Arglebargle III posted:

Uhhh Superman just killed a dozen people in that clip and caused hundreds of millions of dollars of damage. If The Boys showed exactly that scene it would be played as a major scandal.

lol indeed

My favorite part of the Justice League movie is how Superman destroys dozens of buildings but everyone loves him now, the guy that we all hated and feared before he killed tens of thousands of people is good now

Piell fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 20, 2020

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

massive spider posted:

Homelander is 100% world of cardboard. He doesn't hold back out of any kind of virtue though, he holds back because he knows cutting loose will destroy everything he has. He desperately wants to take over Vought and toss Edgar out a window, but he can't. He wanted (prior to last episode) cut Stormfront in half for mocking him, but he couldn't. He wants to cut down the people protesting him like the insects they are but he can't.

That's his whole character, he desperately wants everyone to love him but nobody does because they're all afraid of him. He has this incredible Godlike power but he can't actually use it against any of his enemies because he'd instantly become a pariah all around the globe.

That's why he's so incredibly happy when he's lasering people in his fantasy, and utterly terrified and crushed the second later when he realises what the consequences would be.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

lol indeed

thank zack snyder for showing the world how much of an rear end in a top hat Superman really is.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

That Italian Guy posted:

It's interesting cause we've seen Homelander, Maeve and Starlight being literally bulletproof, while Kimiko and Black Noir definitely get visible injuries when shot/stabbed/exploded but they can simply pull through like the Wolverine. There were a ton of squibs when Kimiko gets shot up by the mobster, and BN was wounded as well by Kimiko, the explodey Super Villain and the Home Alone gang.

Maybe there's a dichotomy

You get regeneration, or you get bulletproof skin, but the cell structure is different for both so you can't have both?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Piell posted:

My favorite part of the Justice League movie is how Superman destroys dozens of buildings but everyone loves him now

It's a Zack Snyder movie, killing is the best and coolest thing a person can do. It's how you know who the heroes are in his movies FOR ADULTS.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Piell posted:

My favorite part of the Justice League movie is how Superman destroys dozens of buildings but everyone loves him now, the guy that we all hated and feared before he killed tens of thousands of people is good now

Someone should expand on this idea to include other aspects of the tropes and make a comic, or even a TV show about it.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah it seems in universe nobody minds if they murder criminals, just not bystanders.

just like in real life*

* - if the "perpetrator" is a poc

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Bioshuffle posted:

I was confused about that also. It looked like he was just pushing some stuff with telekinesis and he gets murdered instantly. Is Homelander just going around murdering people who got a copy of Compound V that he was passing around then covering it up as him killing a supe terrorist?

It's not a cover-up as such, it's exactly what he planned. Give some scary Middle-Eastern people powers, kill them, receive plaudits. Obviously if they intend to use those powers against America it makes it easier to brand the a super-terrorist, but it's not a requirement. America is the only country allowed to have super-heroes, the guy in the video is a super-terrorist just by virtue of existing and not being American.

Obviously any real-life parallels involving America carelessly dispersing weapons in the middle-east, America creating it's own enemies in order to justify foreign and domestic policy, America branding anybody with any power they don't control a terrorist, or America declaring itself the only country allowed to possess certain types of weapon is purely coincidental.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Bioshuffle posted:

I almost didn't comment because I'm at work and can't really rewatch the scene- but I'm pretty sure when the clip started you could hear people screaming and freaking out in the background? It made me think the supe terrorist had been wrecking stuff just prior to that person filming.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I almost didn't comment because I'm at work and can't really rewatch the scene- but I'm pretty sure when the clip started you could hear people screaming and freaking out in the background? It made me think the supe terrorist had been wrecking stuff just prior to that person filming.

Yes that’s what it was.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

I mean, maybe. One thing I've been keeping in mind is that I'm sure Vought wants to clean up anyone who's been receiving Compound V, so if you're not white you're automatically a Supe Terrorist.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Beamed posted:

so if you're not white you're automatically a Supe Terrorist.

Uhhh maybe you mean if you’re not American...

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

alexandriao posted:

You get regeneration, or you get bulletproof skin, but the cell structure is different for both so you can't have both?

One thing that’s either a plot hole or some unexplained word building is how did the media go from ‘someone just anonymously sent us a phial of glowing blue liquid’ to ‘superpowers are caused by Compound V?’ It’s not like they are going to hold back their scoop until they have injected it into babies and see if they developed powers.

The only answer I can see is that the way superpowers actually work is understood enough in principle that they could have a scientist check it with a suitable detector and say ‘yup, this is reading over 4000’.

The other thing is that Compound V was actually developed by Nazi scientists. Which has the unfortunate implication that in the Boys universe, Nazi racial science is demonstrably proven to be correct. Compound V is _vril_, the mystical bio-essence that, in Nazi racial science, made one race superior to another.

Hence it is also an unfortunate implication that the main black character, on receiving a high artificial dose, has adverse health effects. Wheras pure Aryan stock gets extended lifespan, maybe immortality.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
No it's just "compound V as a baby is safe(r), injected as an adult is riskier"

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

MarcusSA posted:

Yes that’s what it was.

Worth noting, though, the people running and screaming are running away from where Homelander enters the scene. They're also running past the supe as he throws some air bending in the direction Homelander comes in from. Up until that point, the supe is kinda looking around at the running people in confusion.

It's very easy to read that scene as "Homelander showed up and started being Homelander, causing a panicked stampede as the unnamed supe futilely tries to fight him off and the camera only caught the last moments of the whole thing."

https://youtu.be/PbEvlgVw8EI the action starts at about 0:50 in this video if anyone wants to watch the scene in question again without pulling up the whole episode.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I'd say if anything the supe waited till the civilians were all behind him before taking a shot at Homelander.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

jabby posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like Stormfront being 70+ years old and maybe an actual WWII-era Nazi lessons the impact of her character a bit.

There are tons of 30-year-old racists. Making her old feels a bit like it invokes the "product of her time" defence, like someone's racist Grandma that gets cut some slack because 'things were different back then'. Or it could be seen as presenting her kind of racism as something literally from a different era rather than something that's still endemic today.

I'd have made her a modern-day white supremacist instead of Captain Nazi from The Past, seems like it would've made her character hit home a bit more.

Having said that, the acting continues to be good. Homelander in particular is killing it with the facial expressions.

I think that her being old is more about nazism being able to reinvent itself to keep up with modern times, and in that case Homelander represents the new '30 something racists' fascist literally seduced by rebranded nazism

:hmmyes:
well, that

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 20, 2020

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The protest is specifically calling it a war crime. It's about the civilian.

I'm curious if we're going to see more of that video this season though. The camera also dips when Homelander "lands". This could just be to save on the special effect when it's not totally necessary, or it could be that a future episode is going to show more and Homelander did a lot worse?

massive spider posted:

The actual Superman doesn't even hold back. This was just a clever little way to cover for the massive powering down they gave him to make it so every episode wasn't just "Well why not call in Superman?" when it was an ensemble show, and to give Superman a big moment.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 20, 2020

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

radmonger posted:

One thing that’s either a plot hole or some unexplained word building is how did the media go from ‘someone just anonymously sent us a phial of glowing blue liquid’ to ‘superpowers are caused by Compound V?’ It’s not like they are going to hold back their scoop until they have injected it into babies and see if they developed powers.

The only answer I can see is that the way superpowers actually work is understood enough in principle that they could have a scientist check it with a suitable detector and say ‘yup, this is reading over 4000’.

The way I imagined it Starlight just contacted a journalist, proved that she's actually Starlight, spilled her guts and handed over the V.

Then all the journalist needs to do is call Vought and say "here is what I know, I have this tangible proof, my source is very reliable, what say you?"

That's when Edgar is offered the options of deny or explain, and Vought chooses to confirm the story rather than risk being trapped by a lie.

radmonger posted:

The other thing is that Compound V was actually developed by Nazi scientists. Which has the unfortunate implication that in the Boys universe, Nazi racial science is demonstrably proven to be correct. Compound V is _vril_, the mystical bio-essence that, in Nazi racial science, made one race superior to another.

Hence it is also an unfortunate implication that the main black character, on receiving a high artificial dose, has adverse health effects. Wheras pure Aryan stock gets extended lifespan, maybe immortality.

The comics go into more detail, but it's basically the difference between someone given the V as an adult or when they're still developing.

In the comics any normal human can inject compound V and develop a mild degree of superpowers. Enhanced durability, quicker healing, mild super-strength. Enough to fight an average superhero without getting killed in one blow.

Actual "supes" on the other hand get given V as children/babies, and develop various random powers that (assuming they don't kill them) tend to be pretty strong.

Homelander is the result of injecting V into a developing fetus, which is why he's the strongest and most powerful hero bar none.

jabby fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 20, 2020

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Romes128 posted:

Uhhh maybe you mean if you’re not American...

Political extremists from countries in the US' inner circle are rarely branded as terrorists... unless their skin is the wrong color.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Seems weird to me that they have almost completely ignored Lamplighter so far. He doesnt even get mentioned in Dawn of the Seven! You think the writers forgot about him, or just saving him for another season?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

babypolis posted:

Seems weird to me that they have almost completely ignored Lamplighter so far. He doesnt even get mentioned in Dawn of the Seven! You think the writers forgot about him, or just saving him for another season?

The show definitely wants us to be wondering about him, since Mallory namedropped him again as the killer of her grandchildren, and there was a gratuitous shot of the Lamplighter stuffed doll at the toy store.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

babypolis posted:

I don't know if this is true or not, but supposedly the person on the phone with Stormfront from the hospital is the actor who's been cast to play Lamplighter. That scene really felt out of place but I get the feeling we'll get the context for it next week.

Beef Stew
Dec 27, 2009

radmonger posted:

So I guess we don't really know exactly the deal with Stormfront is, but from what we saw with Popclaw and A train it seems like if you are already a supe injecting V is more like dosing up with some kind of amphetamine that also amplifies your superpower, but only temporarily. Presumably Popclaw was having side effects as well, she definitely gave off at unhealthy junkie vibe at times and I'm pretty sure that was intentional.

Edit: lol when I say "we don't know what's up with" I mean as to how exactly she got her powers and if she was ever re dosed or something like that. Just to be clear.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Maybe she was a Vought pet project. Maybe even his daughter. She's old enough for that.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

itry posted:

Maybe she was a Vought pet project. Maybe even his daughter. She's old enough for that.

I was thinking one of the original test subjects in the camps that they somehow managed to brainwash or something like that, but that seems weird and off.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

itry posted:

My theory is that she was given the 1.0 version of V and it gives you next level powers and longer life (and maybe you develop new powers as you age?)

Maybe Vought figured out that really really powerful supes were too hard to control, and that "weaker" supes would still make them just as much money, so they switched to dosing babies with a weaker V 2.0.

And after the Nazi founder of Vought died, the scientists who took over for him started messing around with the more powerful 1.0 version, making Homelander, before realizing that it was a bad idea.

(If true it means Homelander could live for a very long time and get even more powers which would be even more terrifying.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

babypolis posted:

If you hadn't noticed, A-Train, Starlight and Stormfront weren't charter members of the Seven and the Deep isn't mentioned either. This is not an origin story, it's a franchise piece that ignores everything that happened in reality in service of a narrative where the current Seven have always been the Seven.