Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Why would you want to run them separately?

(Actual, non-sarcastic question - seems like it's a recipe for disaster but I assume you've a reason to ask)

Actually just completely out of curiosity, was looking at the diagram for other reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insta
Jan 28, 2009

eltoozero posted:

lol @ rafts in 2020.
Fite me

Really though I'd be interested in trying your profiles for a FunMat for ultem 1010. It's got serious warp issues even with 90C chamber, 160C bed, and nano polymer adhesive.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

simmyb posted:

Also to reply to this from weeks ago. Not sure what kind of shoes you're thinking of, but I'll give the rough outline here:

1. Cast your foot
I did this in the end with an 'STS Casting Sock' because I wanted wrap around detail of the whole foot and in a semi weight bearing position. I tried farting around with plaster fabric and depression foam boxes and found the casting socks much better. Even they take a bit of getting used to.
Then plaster/PVA glue mix is poured into create a positive mould. I stuck a bit of wood in to act as a handle/stand.

2. Photogrammetry
Once the cast is dry, I mount it in a way that I can take 100+ photos from a wide range of angles all around. I tried using good cameras for this but found my mobile phone worked just fine, if not better. I also found the software doesnt like a mostly white object, so scribbled all over it with a marker to create lots of unique features for the software to pick up.
Then learned & used Alicevision Meshroom to create a point cloud. I can probably dig up the settings used if I had to. In retrospect maybe I could've used Autodesk ReCap? See next bit

3. Model processing.
I was determined not to pay for software, since just a personal project and ended up going through a lot of bullshit to get a good solid model:
Meshmixer - used to trim away all the background of point cloud, roughly re-orient to ground, smoothing
Meshlab - only needed to get rid of some funny mesh errors I had
ReCap - convert from triangle mesh to quad mesh and reduce number of polys
(I think maybe I could have gone from photo-set to quad mesh entirely in ReCap?)
Fusion 360 (rip?) - convert quad mesh to t-spline solid (won't convert tri mesh), export to IGES
Onshape - rest of the CAD stuff

4. CAD
Onshape is probably NOT the package to use for this, and maybe not even solid modeling, but its free, works on my poo poo old computer, and most importantly isn't an Autodesk product.
Bunch of boring CAD stuff, align & level to ground, add all the cleat mounting features, toe box, heel stopper. There's a lot of stuff in the background specific to my project (where do you centre the cleats, what angle, incline, radius, toe lift, etc etc etc).
At this stage also create jigs to drill holes, hold hardware, and so on.

A few shoe "last" models are made here: one without features for the insole, one with features for the main shell, one for the upper, which are all trimmed down to size, and offset where need be so they nest properly.
The simple moulds are just split in half to aid printing. The biggest one is trickier, since the carbon wraps around all sides, so is split into 9 parts (3x3) with a draft and glue back together. After layup, the parts are split and centre piece levered out so the sides can collapse in.

That's it very roughly up to having 3d printed positive moulds. After that it's all about mould prep, layup methods, post-processing and that's a whole huge other can of worms.

I also did half of my intended effort post in the old bicycle megathread, but never got around to finishing the second post about making the uppers:negative: A lot more bad pics here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515357&userid=84845&perpage=40&pagenumber=8#post504796406

Whoa! That's amazing! And yeah man, OnShape is fine, esp. since it's running on the butt instead of your local aging machine :v: - the tool you have is the best one, after all.

Very neato, I have some photogrammetry stuff I should mess around with, too. I have 3D Zephyr Free which looks like it should be able to do similar things. Thanks for putting that up, I am VERY excited to try some stuff like that now!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Why would you want to run them separately?

(Actual, non-sarcastic question - seems like it's a recipe for disaster but I assume you've a reason to ask)

Several firmware flavors exist for having 2 or 3 steppers at the corners of your build plate for automatic levelling.

Also for significantly increased current and torque on that axis. Some of the really big bedflingers have dual-y steppers.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

simmyb posted:

Also to reply to this from weeks ago. Not sure what kind of shoes you're thinking of, but I'll give the rough outline here:

That was super interesting, thanks for writing it up!

Are you happy with the results? Like, after all this do you feel it "worked" & would you do it again?

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
After a lot of frustrating time, I finally realized one of my z-axis lead screws is bent. I knew something was odd when we got it, but visually couldn’t see it at the time. A few months later and I’m looking again and I’m like that’s definitely bent and I’m a moron.

Hopefully fixing that up will clean up the prints a bit. At least get rid of the squeak during layer changes on the lower z levels.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Sagebrush posted:

I said S3D does it better than Prusa, not that Prusa doesn't have manual supports. Support enforcers are really powerful but also pretty counterintuitive. Clicking a button to put a column exactly where you want it is much better for general use. Fortunately PrusaSlicer is getting that in the next version!

Yeah this is honestly the only part about Prusa slicer that left me scratching my head and trying to figure out how exactly to make it do what I wanted. I had a tall model and I wanted supports HERE IN THIS HOLE and HERE ONLY GOD DAMMIT and hoo nelly that was just impossible. It was an absolute mystery how the enforcers and blockers were deciding what to do (and none of it was what I wanted). No matter what I did or what combination of what that I tried, it wanted to dribble supports all that way down the model. I gave up.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 20, 2020

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003
The Most Pop-tastic Man of Action.

The Eyes Have It posted:

Yeah this is honestly the only part about Prusa slicer that left me scratching my head and trying to figure out how exactly to make it do what I wanted. I had a tall model and I wanted supports HERE IN THIS HOLE and HERE ONLY GOD DAMMIT and hoo nelly that was just impossible. It was an absolute mystery how the enforcers and blockers were deciding what to do (and none of it was what I wanted). No matter what I did or what combination of what that I tried, it wanted to dribble supports all that way down the model. I gave up.
Yea they made the video and really unless they do a “cool tips” pop up, if you don’t read the change log, you won’t know what’s changed.

insta posted:

Fite me

Really though I'd be interested in trying your profiles for a FunMat for ultem 1010. It's got serious warp issues even with 90C chamber, 160C bed, and nano polymer adhesive.
Try dense support instead of raft, brim, slow down the first layer, use S++ monotonous infill on bottom since that’s not in mainline yet; if that doesn’t work inspect the S3D gcode and mirror whatever first layer bullshit they’re doing: I.e. elephants foot compensation (z height) or adjusting the flow rate up or down on first layer artificially.

S3D doesn’t care about you, or your printer.

simmyb posted:

(Incredible write up)
Bravo sir, Bravo.

Amazing for no other reason then you’re doing (quality!) photogrammetry instead of something like openscan; that workflow you laid out is money in your pocket.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

The Eyes Have It posted:

That was super interesting, thanks for writing it up!

Are you happy with the results? Like, after all this do you feel it "worked" & would you do it again?

I've just finished the third pair (as in yesterday) this time a normal sewn upper and a few tweaks to the shape of the toe box, and am finally really really happy with them.

It's taken a lot to get to that point, but things like this are kinda my jam. Plus now I have a set of moulds and flat patterns that I know works, and can probably just churn out additional pairs with much less work.

Edit for pic:

simmyb fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 20, 2020

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

insta posted:

Failing an hour in is heat creep. Make sure the hotend cooling fan is blowing at full strength all the time, and the heatsink fins are not clogged up with dust.

I have done this, and have the same result. There wasn't really dust but I blew everything out with compressed air anyway. I cannot loving figure this out. No matter what I do I start a print and come back to part of a print with some sparse garbage on top. If the print is still going, there's nothing coming out and the extruder is knocking.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003
The Most Pop-tastic Man of Action.

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I have done this, and have the same result. There wasn't really dust but I blew everything out with compressed air anyway. I cannot loving figure this out. No matter what I do I start a print and come back to part of a print with some sparse garbage on top. If the print is still going, there's nothing coming out and the extruder is knocking.

Have you changed your extruder fan? Feel free to PM me the gory details and we can work it out.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

eltoozero posted:

Try dense support instead of raft, brim, slow down the first layer, use S++ monotonous infill on bottom since that’s not in mainline yet; if that doesn’t work inspect the S3D gcode and mirror whatever first layer bullshit they’re doing: I.e. elephants foot compensation (z height) or adjusting the flow rate up or down on first layer artificially.

S3D doesn’t care about you, or your printer.

Brim is the next closest I've had luck with, but that hasn't been flawless. Corners will still pull up with brim, and then there's the cleanup. My first layer is already at 12mm/sec, with a bit of overextrusion for good squish. The nano-polymer is applied hot for a fuzzy surface. I'm loading the filament with welding gloves since the spool is usually 250F right out of the oven.

The S3D raft I'm using is 3mm inflation, 1 base layer, 2 top layers, 0.12mm separation. I can pass a razor blade between my part and the raft and it peels right out without issue. Nothing warps with this.

Have you actually printed functional plastics before? They really are a different beast.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I had a problem where a combination of angle of the filament and a model (or I suppose a slice) that did a lot of retraction then re-feeding was causing the filament to wear down and snap, because it was just going back and forth on the same few mm of filament over and over again while the filament was taut off of the reel. The solution I came up with for that particular model was just to increase the fill percentage, so it was doing more frequent long, steady runs between the fiddly bits, meaning it didn't just keep wearing away the same bit and also that there was some slack off of the reel.

Longer-term I want to work out some sort of stress relief because my intuition is that expecting the same component to both finely dispense filament *and* yank a 1kg spool around is asking for trouble.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Anybody have any experience applying magigoo to anything other than glass? I want to print some glass-fibre reinforced polypropylene which I've printed onto packing tape in the past but had issues with the tape lifting and the print curling. I got some magigoo GFPP stuff which is specifically for this filament that I'm using but typically I believe you're supposed to apply it to a glass plate while I only have a buildtak type magnetic build plate. Can I apply magigoo to the buildtak plate or should I just go get myself a sheet of glass from somewhere?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Since it's just a layer between the surface and the print, it shouldn't hurt. Worst case, it wont stick to the buildtak

Alternatively, there's also this:
https://www.matterhackers.com/store/c/layerlock-build-surfaces-for-polypropylene

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

insta posted:

Have you actually printed functional plastics before? They really are a different beast.

All plastics are functional if they are suitable for the intended function.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

All plastics are functional if they are suitable for the intended function.

Fine, "high performance" plastics.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Why is it that Cura prints me a beautiful test line every time, but then immediately under-extrudes the skirt and model so bad it doesn't stick to the bed at all?

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Because the test line is a hardcoded amount of extrusion? I think the skirt is based on first-layer settings.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The "test line," if you mean the thing that goes down right at the beginning of the job, is not a test of trace width -- it's an extruder purge move. Don't expect any part of your actual print to look like that.

An "underextruded" first layer is nearly always actually an improper bed zeroing. Bring the Z axis closer to the bed during the first layer. Adjust until it looks like the middle picture

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Got the feeler gauges out. Is 0.076 mm too high? I've had success at this bed height before, I'm really not sure what's gone wrong now.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

RadioPassive posted:

Got the feeler gauges out. Is 0.076 mm too high? I've had success at this bed height before, I'm really not sure what's gone wrong now.

What material are you printing with? That actually seems too low for most PLA. FOr pla, you should move a sheet of paper under the nozzle with only a bit of drag resistance. Then you may need to adjust it a bit higher if it's PLA+ or 0.1 mm higher than that for PETG.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Use whatever setting gives the best result, and drat the feeler gauges

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

It's PLA. How thick is a piece of paper and why does this loving hobby, which measures every other goddamn parameter in thousandths of a millimeter, refuse to measure z height in anything other than "pieces of paper"?

Anyway, sounds like my z heights are fine.

Why is the purge line or whatever working great, and then the print grossly underextruding?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I put calipers on the copy paper I use and it’s .10 mm. I’ve recently seen people recommend 3x5 cards, so I ordered some. I suppose I could use Magic cards lord knows I have a shitton that aren’t worth anything.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

RadioPassive posted:

It's PLA. How thick is a piece of paper and why does this loving hobby, which measures every other goddamn parameter in thousandths of a millimeter, refuse to measure z height in anything other than "pieces of paper"?

Anyway, sounds like my z heights are fine.

Why is the purge line or whatever working great, and then the print grossly underextruding?

Because the purge line is a fixed setting that is coincidentally correct, and your first layer is affected by many settings, at least one of which is off.

Because most people don't have something that can actually measure thousandths of a mm, but do have a piece paper. Using sheets of paper has a long tradition in proper machining as well. The size is very consistent within a brand, and only slightly less so between brands, as it's sold with a fixed size, weight, and sheet count.

Since you have a feeler gauge set, and your too far, go ahead and try going down in size by ~.01mm. Or try the z offset in your slicer. Or babystepping if your fw is setup for it. Or one of the other offsets the firmware has. Or print something with a very long first layer and adjust the bed by hand, ignoring measurements entirely.

I can't say I'd recommend index cards though, every one I've seen is thicker than a sheet of paper, and while it's possible, it's never been my problem.

Aurium fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 21, 2020

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Aurium posted:

Since you have a feeler gauge set, and your too far, go ahead and try going down in size by ~.01mm. Or try the z offset in your slicer. Or babystepping if your fw is setup for it. Or one of the other offsets the firmware has. Or print something with a very long first layer and adjust the bed by hand, ignoring measurements entirely.

I did this, and now the first layer adheres to the bed, but it is extremely thin. It is visibly close to the "too low" lines in the posted image, but without gaps in the print on the first layer. Each further layer under extrudes and looks starved for filament, including many gaps in the print as in the image.

I do not think this is a z-offset problem.

What would the fix for under extrusion be?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Make sure you're not generating 3mm filament gcode for a 1.75mm filament printer or some poo poo.

Also manually extrude some length of filament and measure if it's actually extruding that amount.

BMan fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 21, 2020

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Nope, everything's 1.75.

Setting the extruder to 150% flow seems to clean things up quite a bit, but that seems like an awfully hamfisted fix?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

RadioPassive posted:

I did this, and now the first layer adheres to the bed, but it is extremely thin. It is visibly close to the "too low" lines in the posted image, but without gaps in the print on the first layer. Each further layer under extrudes and looks starved for filament, including many gaps in the print as in the image.

I do not think this is a z-offset problem.

What would the fix for under extrusion be?

Calibrate the extruder?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

What printer is this, because the extruder calibration being off by 50% out of the box is extremely lol

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Ender 3

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

RadioPassive posted:

Nope, everything's 1.75.

Setting the extruder to 150% flow seems to clean things up quite a bit, but that seems like an awfully hamfisted fix?

It does. It's possible the filament is undersized, and the extruder calibration is off. The filament drive might be skipping as well, either missing steps, or the hobbed gear might be grinding the filament, or even slipping on the motor shaft. Try bumping the temp up by 10-15 to see if it improves. What are you at now?

Still, at this point I'd probably print something of known size off and see where it comes out.

I know you just said, Cura's default profile does assume 3mm filament, it might be worth double checking.

E: Ender 3 shouldn't have most of these issues. I'd still try bumping temp, and the hob could be loose. I've not heard of a ender3 having insufficient motor current for lost steps, but it's possible.

I assume you're using a slicer profile they supplied.

Aurium fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 21, 2020

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I switched over to the Creality slicer and I'm still having roughly the same problem.

Messing with the calibration and uhhhh am I doing this wrong or did I just dial in 100 mm of Extruder advancement and get back 39 mm of filament movement...

Extruder calibration might be it?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

BMan posted:

What printer is this, because the extruder calibration being off by 50% out of the box is extremely lol

This seems to be it. First test print with a new extruder calibration setting is immediately much better. I'm now definitely printing too close to the bed, time to back off those z adjustments.

I should probably go back to the drawing board on all other settings as well, I've dialed in a lot of temperature and thickness settings today in an effort to chase this problem so having a properly calibrated extruder is going to reset all of that.

Edit: This explains why I thought the extruder purge line was a test line. At <50% extruder calibration, a nozzle purge looks like a nice thin single print line.

RadioPassive fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 21, 2020

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Checked Prusa's shipping table for the Mini today, this is my batch (barely, I ordered on Aug 2):

It said September 21st for the past month and now that it's the 21st it has changed to the 23rd. Those of you who have received your Mini, how many times did this happen before it actually shipped? :v:

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

RadioPassive posted:

I switched over to the Creality slicer and I'm still having roughly the same problem.

Messing with the calibration and uhhhh am I doing this wrong or did I just dial in 100 mm of Extruder advancement and get back 39 mm of filament movement...

Extruder calibration might be it?

That is a pretty bad number.

Did you do it while trying to feed the hot end, or with the other end free?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Feeding the hot end at 210°C. Adjusting the E-step value to compensate for 39mm/100mm looks like it did the trick, though. I feel less bad about a big E-step value than 150% flow rate.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

How did your extruder steps get messed up, incidentally? Were you trying to recalibrate them? They should be correct out of the box for any current printer.

Firmware calibration is almost never the problem any more for basic functionality issues. Situations like this are why I get testy when people start recommending that newbies recalibrate their XYZE values as part of assembly. You should not start messing with that stuff until you have a firm understanding of what different errors look like and how to diagnose them.

RadioPassive posted:

Feeding the hot end at 210°C. Adjusting the E-step value to compensate for 39mm/100mm looks like it did the trick, though. I feel less bad about a big E-step value than 150% flow rate.

Are you really really sure that you aren't slicing for a 3mm filament? Because a 1.75mm circle has 38% of the area of a 2.85mm circle. Your numbers are almost exactly what I would expect to see if you were feeding 1.75mm filament at a rate calculated for 2.85.

e: oh, you actually commanded 100mm and measured that it only fed 39mm at the extruder? Yeah then your e-steps are just severely hosed up. How

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Have you checked for any actual mechanical issue with the extruder or hotend? That's.. a lot of estep adjustment, unless Creality had a batch of boards with firmware that had a wildly incorrect default estep value.