Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

priznat posted:

Kinda explains why he says he won’t work with Jamie again, Jamie seems like the type to be an extreme safety nut. Adam probably scared him shitless on numerous occasions.

He scared Grant Imahara to death, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Deteriorata posted:

He scared Grant Imahara to death, too.

what the gently caress, man

Real content:

The West Seattle Bridge seems to be undergoing ductile failure. Cracking was first identified in 2013 and assumed to be Nisqually earthquake damage, but the cracks have grown two feet in the past month.

This bridge isn't even 50 years old.

https://www.kuow.org/stories/city-has-known-about-cracks-in-west-seattle-bridge-since-2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

priznat posted:

Kinda explains why he says he won’t work with Jamie again, Jamie seems like the type to be an extreme safety nut. Adam probably scared him shitless on numerous occasions.

Reportedly Adam and Jamie were (and are) not friends. Cordial enough to do the show together, and their dynamic worked well for TV, but aside from the parts where they had to be together they would mostly work apart, and they certainly wouldn't have each other over for dinner or anything.

Not to dig up old dirt but I wonder if that stuff about Adam molesting his sister as a kid ever went anywhere :whitewater:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Blindeye posted:

what the gently caress, man

Real content:

The West Seattle Bridge seems to be undergoing ductile failure. Cracking was first identified in 2013 and assumed to be Nisqually earthquake damage, but the cracks have grown two feet in the past month.

https://www.kuow.org/stories/city-has-known-about-cracks-in-west-seattle-bridge-since-2013

looks like they patched it with a face hugger from alien.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Uthor posted:

He built a sewing machine table with non locking casters, too. You'd think you'd wanna keep your tools from rolling around on you when doing precision work, I don't get it.

My old sewing machine was very cheap and lightweight and slid around on the table a lot. I got a nicer, heavier one a couple months ago that stays put much better and it's made a huge difference. Having the table itself slide away from me would drive me absolutely insane.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

How fast were the cracks growing? Pretty fuckkin fast my friend:

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Uthor posted:

He built a sewing machine table with non locking casters, too. You'd think you'd wanna keep your tools from rolling around on you when doing precision work, I don't get it.

But they were locking castors?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Rust Martialis posted:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Fun times in the NYC subway this morning- some rear end in a top hat put a bunch of junk on the track and derailed a train. A few people have minor injuries.

https://twitter.com/MylesMill/status/1307682980199051264

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcBdEuEin78

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Pulsejet dumptruck

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Is that title refereing to the Euro-# emissions standards?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/7owqVzK.gifv

stratego
May 6, 2007

Rust Martialis posted:

That's pretty crazy.
The phrasing "But to not only close the bridge" is really bugging me.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

everydayfalls posted:

https://i.imgur.com/ahQPN5v.gifv

The guy hiding under the trailer is a nice touch.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
[quote="Sagebrush" post="508232487"]
Reportedly Adam and Jamie were (and are) not friends. Cordial enough to do the show together, and their dynamic worked well for TV, but aside from the parts where they had to be together they would mostly work apart, and they certainly wouldn't have each other over for dinner or anything.

Not to dig up old dirt but I wonder if that stuff about Adam molesting his sister as a kid ever went anywhere :whitewater:
[/quote

Weren't there some goatse style pics of him going around a while back too?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Sagebrush posted:

I think Jamie just wasn't fun to work with. I looked up some videos from when they bought Tested, and all of Adam's videos were something fun he was working on. Jamie's videos were him explaining how he installed an electric motor on a boat to Will Smith. Adam told a story where Jamie was up working on something and said he needed 5 bolts, Adam told someone to bring him six just in case. Jamie said "No, I only need 5, bring 5" and then he ended up dropping one and needing 6.

And I don't think that accusation went anywhere. His mother came out and said that it wasn't true and that his sister would do things like that to try to get money from him.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

wesleywillis posted:

Weren't there some goatse style pics of him going around a while back too?

What? No. The closest I can think of is the early Mythbusters episode when they made a mold of Kari Byron's rear end to test an airplane-toilet myth.

There are some goofy-rear end ideas wandering around this thread about Savage. His hand injury was because his hand slipped while he was reassembling a malfunctioning lathe. He and Jamie don't get along because Jamie was his boss and they never had a "friends" relationship. Literally everybody but his sister says her accusation is bullshit (and the lawsuit hasn't gone anywhere). He does ridiculous things on camera because he knows what he's doing and he's a personality; the more ridiculous he can be while still being safe, the more views he'll attract. On video, he is not a role model for amateur makers, but he's not stupid or careless.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

What? No. The closest I can think of is the early Mythbusters episode when they made a mold of Kari Byron's rear end to test an airplane-toilet myth.

Yeah, the pic is funny. It’s him just spreading his rear end hout for the camera with some wild grin and Discovery let it go because there was zero denial and Savage basically said “Oops, that’s me, it was for a joke!” and then they kept making money.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I'm not touching you!
I'm not touching you!

:smug:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

haveblue posted:

Fun times in the NYC subway this morning- some rear end in a top hat put a bunch of junk on the track and derailed a train. A few people have minor injuries.

wonder how many of these incidents are required before it becomes cheaper to install platform edge doors

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

lol i like how it visibly instantly starts deforming and probably busted open 1 second after the cut

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I love and admire the guy but some of the poo poo Adam Savage does is :stare:

Just today...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ9bbMu3mdo&t=611s

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

lol i like how it visibly instantly starts deforming and probably busted open 1 second after the cut

now that you brought this to my attention i really want to see flex tape burst

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

haveblue posted:

Everyone’s a subfuckler until a real subfuckler shows up with sandbags.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/XMAm5sb.gifv

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Is that the FPS barrel factory?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/bLre1yr.mp4

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Blindeye posted:

Real content:

That article was from March so I was curious what had happened since then. Don't worry, they've broken out the big guns: A lot more epoxy.

(The bridge is closed through at least 2022.)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, the pic is funny. It’s him just spreading his rear end hout for the camera with some wild grin and Discovery let it go because there was zero denial and Savage basically said “Oops, that’s me, it was for a joke!” and then they kept making money.

Pretty sure it was a fake pic

:nws: This is the adam savage butthole pic :nws:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Remember when Mythbusters launched a cannonball through some poor person's house?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Remember when Mythbusters launched a cannonball through some poor person's house?

Adam Savage put a glory hole in some old person's house on cam and discovery still let him keep on workin' there.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

FCKGW posted:

Those fake-rear end shutters are the real crime

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

stratego posted:

The phrasing "But to not only close the bridge" is really bugging me.

Glad I wasn't the only one. Weird phrasing.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It feels like there was originally more sentence detailing the other actions they were taking, but it has been badly edited down at some point in between.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There was no other option but to not only close the bridge, but also get the gently caress out of town and change their names.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

There are some goofy-rear end ideas wandering around this thread about Savage. His hand injury was because his hand slipped while he was reassembling a malfunctioning lathe. He and Jamie don't get along because Jamie was his boss and they never had a "friends" relationship. Literally everybody but his sister says her accusation is bullshit (and the lawsuit hasn't gone anywhere). He does ridiculous things on camera because he knows what he's doing and he's a personality; the more ridiculous he can be while still being safe, the more views he'll attract. On video, he is not a role model for amateur makers, but he's not stupid or careless.

Buddy, I didn't invent it.

"I started to clean this part while it was spinning"
"I did something so stupid as to slip a rag between two spinning things"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaGnyaR2B7s&t=262s

Dude's stupid and careless.

agrielaios
Dec 25, 2009

That looks like something done out of experience, learned experience of wiggling the truck :smugdog:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

insta posted:

I did that plunge-cutting into lineoleum with a circular saw I borrowed from my neighbor. My wife and I had been arguing about doing the floor ourselves or hiring said neighbor (who was a general contractor to do it). I was cutting a triangle so I could start cutting the floor out. First two plunge cuts went fine, third plunge cut kicked back and ate straight up my femoral artery before my jeans finally bound it up. I had the guard set such that I got scrapes along the skin, nothing more. The cut was about 14 inches long.

I wordlessly walked to my neighbors house with my shredded jeans exposing my underwear and told him he was doing the flooring. It was an extremely surreal moment.

This is why all circular saws ought to have riving knives. That was actually a requirement on older saws in the EU but I was told they removed it and so more modern circular saws don't have riving knives because it's cheaper.

And sure you can't plunge with them if they have a riving knife, which is good because for plunging cuts use a tracksaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
half of the traditional vfx folks I know are not great at workshop safety and take too many risks, which is part of how the madness seems to work

the other half makes up for it by being intense as gently caress and i still remember the importance of gloves, eye protection, and proper ventilation to not getting deadly cancers

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Sep 21, 2020