Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

How about Hololens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Stux posted:

the external drives dont replace the built in ssd either

However, inserting a Vita memory card card replaces the internal 1 GB memory on the Vita Slim (this was actually dumb as hell, given how expensive those cards were)

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Laserface posted:

Remember project spark

I did not remember this so I looked it up. Looks interesting...? The timing seems kind of bad. Right before the Mojang acquisition, and it looks like they envisioned it as a sort of 'roided up Minecraft. Something along those lines should inevitably be the successor. But my (hypothetical) grandkids will probably still be playing Minecraft if they still have electricity after the 2020 Apocalypse.

Seedge posted:

How about Hololens?

That also seems inevitable. But I hope it's not Microsoft Windows Hololens 3 or anything because frankly I'm sick of giving Microsoft my money. I'm also sick of giving Apple my money. Feel free to include everything and everyone to that list. Spending money is on my list of things to quit doing.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Sep 20, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Stux posted:

you forgot snap

This was the most used feature and the killer app in my house.

I am dead serious when I say do not aim consumer products at me.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Barudak posted:

Barudak: #1 fan of the Palm Pre

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Barudak posted:

What was the utility for you?

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Akuma posted:

I don't really understand how it's any more of a challenge than any other SDK. It has gaps in the documentation but no more than anything else.

It seemed to me he was put on the spot and didn't want to right off the bat say the X is better, it's something DF have avoided being explicit about in all video and written articles I've seen so far, so he began dodging the question with "well, devs sure are pleased with the PS4 to 5 transition!".

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

BoosterDuck posted:

Miles Morales is releasing on PS4 and Demon's Souls is obviously a timed exclusive

meanwhile xbox has the best controller, best console design, best airflow, battletoads, rare replay, sea of thieves and is backed by phil spencer

Sony owns the Demon Soul’s IP. It could show up on PC some day, but so could Bloodborne.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shirkelton posted:

What was the utility for you?

I had cable TV so the biggest one was having cable tv going while playing games so my household could split focus with a single screen in one space (TV did not have PiP for reference). It was also nice to be able to open other apps simultaneously with games.

Actual implementation was kind of dumb, it should have been an overlay like actual PiP

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Barudak posted:

I had cable TV so the biggest one was having cable tv going while playing games so my household could split focus with a single screen in one space (TV did not have PiP for reference). It was also nice to be able to open other apps simultaneously with games.

Actual implementation was kind of dumb, it should have been an overlay like actual PiP

It’s like the nighttime TV equivalent of cramming into the bathroom at 7 in the morning with your partner/kids so you can all get ready for work/school at the same time

“Holy poo poo, Honey, did you see that no-scope? Yeah, I can’t believe that bitch got a rose this week again either”

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Barudak: #1 fan of the Palm Pre

Palm Prē was good as hell. Probably the best phone of its time for switching between a browser window and a texting app, which was basically the entire day-to-day use case for a smartphone bacl then. People forget how turbo-garbage Android was in 2009.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

People forget how turbo-garbage Android was in 2009.

I wouldn’t know, I had an iPod Touch and a $40 Sony feature phone at the time

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Just a year after the Palm Pre I was earning real achievement points on my Windows Phone 7. It's in a box somewhere, I wonder if that still works.

(unless I misremember and that was on Windows phone 8 or whatever lovely name it had)

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

ultrachrist posted:

Is PSnow actually good?

Psnow is the game service equivalent of a stux post. It has no redeeming features.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Crafty posted:

Psnow is the game service equivalent of a stux post. It has no redeeming features.

It can let me play Metal Gear Rising Revengeance on my PS4, so there's at least one.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Seedge posted:

It can let me play Metal Gear Rising Revengeance on my PS4, so there's at least one.

You should have bought the disc second hand for £1 instead like I did

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Snap might have had a better reputation if it didn't have to take credit for killing the number 1 feature of the 360, playing your own music in the background of a game. With snap, you had to leave the snap window up to keep the music playing.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Barudak posted:

The only time I used the Snap feature was when I would watch Netflix or Hulu on the main screen area and play Threes! as the snapped app at the same time. It was better than looking down at my phone! There was even an achievement for it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Zat posted:

However, inserting a Vita memory card card replaces the internal 1 GB memory on the Vita Slim (this was actually dumb as hell, given how expensive those cards were)

the best thing to come out of vita homebrew was sd card adapters that you could put in the cart slot lol

Barudak posted:

i dont remember why they removed it, was it a performance thing? was it one of the victims of freeing up more cpu and memory for games when kinect died?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Stux posted:

i dont remember why they removed it, was it a performance thing? was it one of the victims of freeing up more cpu and memory for games when kinect died?

Yep, games had to account for possibly losing that cpu and memory at any time so they killed it to boost performance.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Another next-gen technical interview happened as part of EGX Digital, this time Richard Leadbetter of Digital Foundry talked to Dirt 5 technical director David Springate.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-20-developing-for-next-gen-and-120fps-with-codemasters-and-digital-foundry

quote:

It often falls to racing games to be some of the first over the top when a new console generation comes around - there's something about those gleaming car models that makes for excellent graphics showreels. This time, Codemasters' Dirt 5 is leading the charge. The off-road racing game launches day-and-date with Xbox Series X/S on 10th November, just ahead of PlayStation 5. It will appear on current-gen consoles too, but the next-gen version will be the subject of much interest, especially for its claimed 120 frames per second performance.

How do you go about developing for next-gen when it's still an unknown quantity? How does Microsoft's cut-price, cut-back Xbox Series S change the game? Digital Foundry's Rich Leadbetter talked to Codemasters' technical director David Springate to find out - and they had a very interesting conversation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPUMezUi-CY

I really hope Dirt 5 turns out well. With no Forza or Gran Turismo this fall, I want a good showpiece racing game to play on new hardware.

Zerot fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 20, 2020

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Dirt 5 TD says the dream of Series S is real, for whatever that's worth. Shooting for 120fps option on both S and X.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Taiwan's NCC released photos of different angles of the PS5. It doesn't look like there's any easy way to access wherever the nvme drive goes. Maybe you can just easily take off one of the side panels (hopefully whichever one is on top when you put the console on its side) and get to it. Who knows. Certainly not as easy as it would be to access the drive on the xbox. I'm sure Microsoft will screw it up by not letting you easily remove the drive and stick it in a friend's console so you can just bring your account and game over to their house and play a game with them.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Taiwan's NCC released photos of different angles of the PS5. It doesn't look like there's any easy way to access wherever the nvme drive goes. Maybe you can just easily take off one of the side panels (hopefully whichever one is on top when you put the console on its side) and get to it. Who knows. Certainly not as easy as it would be to access the drive on the xbox. I'm sure Microsoft will screw it up by not letting you easily remove the drive and stick it in a friend's console so you can just bring your account and game over to their house and play a game with them.

Microsoft's Jason Ronald has said the drives are hot-swappable. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to plug it into a friend's Xbox Series X or S just like you can do right now with external hard drives on the Xbox One.

https://twitter.com/jronald/status/1304795146442010625?s=20

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Akuma posted:

Dirt 5 TD says the dream of Series S is real, for whatever that's worth. Shooting for 120fps option on both S and X.

I know less than jack poo poo about CPUs/GPUs/etc. but it would stand to reason Microsoft knows their own hardware better than the armchair speculators claiming it’s going to hamstring a whole generation.

They’ve got a 1080p box and a 4K box. That’s the pitch and they’re surely run the numbers.

Then again they’re also the morons who completely misread the market and had flip-flop the entire concept of the Xbox One so who knows.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Yes but also the console cost them like a billion dollars due to the RROD issue so even if Sony had sold exactly 1 ps3 they'd have made more profit then MS did from the 360
The PS3 also lost a ton of money initially. Cell/Blu-Ray were major investments, they were selling PS3's at a loss per unit and their software sales were predictably as low as they had ever been. The story as of 2008 was that Sony had lost all the money they had earned with PS1 + PS2 with PS3.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Fly Ricky posted:

I know less than jack poo poo about CPUs/GPUs/etc. but it would stand to reason Microsoft knows their own hardware better than the armchair speculators claiming it’s going to hamstring a whole generation.

it's happening again

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

Palm Prē was good as hell. Probably the best phone of its time for switching between a browser window and a texting app, which was basically the entire day-to-day use case for a smartphone bacl then. People forget how turbo-garbage Android was in 2009.

Also the current iPhone uses basically all of the multitasking UI and gestures that people made fun of Palm for introducing

And everybody has all the contact consolidation stuff by default

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
Trying to justify picking up a preorder for the series X when it launches. Already have PS5 locked due to Demon's Souls, so I'm trying to see if series X has any exclusives at launch to push me over the edge. So far the only thing that looks interesting is Scorn, The Medium (though not confirmed launch, more like launch window?), and D2 (due to the cross-save/gamepass combo). Any other big and/or interesting stuff I'm missing?

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

AdmiralViscen posted:

Also the current iPhone uses basically all of the multitasking UI and gestures that people made fun of Palm for introducing

And everybody has all the contact consolidation stuff by default

I remember Palm Pre and WebOS having a very warm reception, but people were reluctant to get onboard because of a (correct) hesitation to buy a company's hail mary product.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Arkage posted:

Trying to justify picking up a preorder for the series X when it launches. Already have PS5 locked due to Demon's Souls, so I'm trying to see if series X has any exclusives at launch to push me over the edge. So far the only thing that looks interesting is Scorn, The Medium (though not confirmed launch, more like launch window?), and D2 (due to the cross-save/gamepass combo). Any other big and/or interesting stuff I'm missing?

Isnt medium a multiplat?

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Arkage posted:

I'm really looking forward to The Ascent, which looks like a neat Diablo-like. It hasn't been locked down as a launch game yet, just 2020.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32gaWV-5hXg

The Falconeer is giving me some Crimson Sky vibes which I wasn't expecting. I don't know too much about it but previews have been very positive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkuL-9II9Dk

There's also Gears Tactics if you haven't played it yet.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

TheScott2K posted:

it's happening again

Lol, I shouldn't have even posted that. I hate Xbox and I hate myself for being so invested in their ecosystem. I hope the system is trash and finally boots them to the curb so I'm forced to buy a PS6 or Sony Cloud Gaming Brain Implant or whatever happens after this.

Until then I'm gonna sit here with my Series X and play my copy of Blix: The Time Sweeper over and over while 1,000 better games sit unplayed on my Switch.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Taiwan's NCC released photos of different angles of the PS5. It doesn't look like there's any easy way to access wherever the nvme drive goes. Maybe you can just easily take off one of the side panels (hopefully whichever one is on top when you put the console on its side) and get to it. Who knows. Certainly not as easy as it would be to access the drive on the xbox.

Definitely not. With the new Xboxen you can just open-palm slap that drive into the bay. And then you’re doing all the moves...

Fly Ricky posted:

Until then I'm gonna sit here with my Series X and play my copy of Blix: The Time Sweeper over and over while 1,000 better games sit unplayed on my Switch.

#1 most played game on my Switch in the last few months: Tetris 99
#2 most played game on my Switch in the last few months: Star Wars Episode 1 Racer

sounds about right

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Fly Ricky posted:

Lol, I shouldn't have even posted that. I hate Xbox and I hate myself for being so invested in their ecosystem. I hope the system is trash and finally boots them to the curb so I'm forced to buy a PS6 or Sony Cloud Gaming Brain Implant or whatever happens after this.

Blinx.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I buy my art supplies at Dix Blix

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

I’ve disrespected the time-traveling cat and don’t even deserve to play that turd. I’ll throw in Grabbed by the Ghoulies instead. :(

vvv Jesus I’d forgotten they actually made a sequel.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 21, 2020

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Very few people deserve to play Blinx: The Time Sweeper or Blinx 2: Masters of Time and Space anyway.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I owned both.

I got them for 1.50 combined and I still got ripped off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Real hurthling! posted:

Isnt medium a multiplat?

Don't think so. It's coming to PC but no other consoles in stuff I've read.