Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Flesh Forge posted:

roberts has tended to be less extreme than somebody like judge beer, and you can be sure they're going to put some complete wackadoo in this time like tom cotton or ted cruz.

he is but even judge beer doesn’t always vote like people think. I know people rationalize it that he only votes for the stuff conservatives really care about but I find that unconvincing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The Dems don't have the power to pack the courts at the moment. It's not chickening out if you don't discuss something you have no power to do.

holy poo poo my man are you high? at the moment, trump is president! no loving poo poo i’m talking about the Dems packing the court as an action to take when they retake the senate, not as something to do tomorrow! I though this point was so basic I didn’t even have to explain it but here we are

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

holy poo poo my man are you high? at the moment, trump is president! no loving poo poo i’m talking about the Dems packing the court as an action to take when they retake the senate, not as something to do tomorrow! I though this point was so basic I didn’t even have to explain it but here we are

What possible other sensible connotation could "packing the court was already the only option, but dem leadership was too scared to do it" have other than as a reference to the last time the Dems had the actual power to pack the courts? You don't even know what tense you're writing in and you're accusing me of being unable to read.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

You don't even know what tense you're writing in. What possible other sensible connotation could "packing the court was already the only option, but dem leadership was too scared to do it" than as a reference to the last time the Dems had the actual power to pack the courts?

I am going to spell out for you what I have posted over and over, and I will do it in simple words.

ever since gorsuch and Kavanaugh were confirmed it has been clear that the endgame of the republican political project is to install a reactionary backstop in the judiciary that can dismantle any output from a theoretical progressive congress.

once that happened our range of options narrowed to one: we had to pack the courts as a prerequisite to actually being able to govern and exercise power.

therefore, since 2018, it has been clear that packing the court was a necessary first step for any future theoretical democratic administration to take.

that was clear two years ago, but the establishment was unhappy about it for a variety of stupid and now-irrelevant reasons.

now it is or should be clear to everyone.

do you understand that? is that simple enough for you?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think he means as a talking point for voters, like you know campaign on it not just do it randomly one day

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I am going to spell out for you what I have posted over and over, and I will do it in simple words.

ever since gorsuch and Kavanaugh were confirmed it has been clear that the endgame of the republican political project is to install a reactionary backstop in the judiciary that can dismantle any output from a theoretical progressive congress.

once that happened our range of options narrowed to one: we had to pack the courts as a prerequisite to actually being able to govern and exercise power.

therefore, since 2018, it has been clear that packing the court was a necessary first step for any future theoretical democratic administration to take.

that was clear two years ago, but the establishment was unhappy about it for a variety of stupid and now-irrelevant reasons.

now it is or should be clear to everyone.

do you understand that? is that simple enough for you?

See, I would agreed with you if you'd actually said this, but you didn't.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

It’s insane for politicians to talk about things they would do if they won elections and held power. Absolute madness....

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

see, i would agree with you if the fruit at the bottom had been thoroughly mixed into my yogurt brain

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
explaining things sucks

did I mean that it sucks to do or that you shouldn't do it or did I mean its a vacuum?, well you know what, gently caress you

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

he is but even judge beer doesn’t always vote like people think. I know people rationalize it that he only votes for the stuff conservatives really care about but I find that unconvincing

roberts understands that the culture war is over, and conservatives lost. i think kavanaugh and gorsuch understand this too, though i think they do harbor a lingering hope that they can bring it back.

roberts understands that his sole purpose on the court is to protect the current economic order. he knows, deep in his soul, that if the court were to start solely siding with social conservatives in the same way that they solely side with economic conservatives, that it would spark rank and file libs to action for decades, in the same way that roe sparked generations of conservatives, and he, occasionally joined by gorsuch and/or kavanaugh, is more than willing to throw a bone to the libs every now and again to keep them quiet.

i expect whoever is nominated to replace ginsberg will occasionally join them too, but all this means is that the ruling allowing monsanto to dump toxic waste directly into the basements of elementary schools will be 6-3 instead of 5-4.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

See, I would agreed with you if you'd actually said this, but you didn't.

if you had some sort of label warning people that you need basic logic spelled out in exhausting detail that would save everyone a lot of hassle

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

World War Mammories posted:

if you had some sort of label warning people that you need basic logic spelled out in exhausting detail that would save everyone a lot of hassle

Well there is the username

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

e: wrong thread and also colbert sucks

Mantis42 has issued a correction as of 22:28 on Sep 19, 2020

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

lol is this real? patton oswalt is friends with the "happy merchant" artist??

https://twitter.com/LumpyTheCook/status/1307435753337761798

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Maya Fey posted:

one of your faves. you hate to see it.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Maya Fey posted:

In 1998, Bougas released the album Celebrities... At Their Worst!, a collection of comedic audio blunders by such celebrities as Elvis Presley, Casey Kasem, Paul Anka, and John Wayne.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He wasn’t known to be A Wyatt Mann until maybe 5-10 years ago, and those comics are from the 90s. Presumably he was just a nobody counterculture gen x-type until he got found out.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

He wasn’t known to be A Wyatt Mann until maybe 5-10 years ago, and those comics are from the 90s. Presumably he was just a nobody counterculture gen x-type until he got found out.

the dinner pic is from 10 days after the buzzfeed article dropped. a reasonable interpretation would be that he hadn't heard yet. there's stuff in the thread though about takimag for which there is ... not a charitable interpretation, though he does seem to have deleted most of it and at least stopped promoting it in public

Gaupo Guacho
Aug 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Tubgoat posted:

Turns out that information doesn't sink in when you introduce it once, hurriedly, and then never reinforce it. Who knew!?
Rogan is a loving idiot and we could've been deprogramming him by now if it weren't for the DNC cutting Bernie off at the knees and Bernie just going "Yes, dear."
sanders failed to expand his base

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

young people dont vote :corsair:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Gaupo Guacho posted:

Well yeah DNC members don't listen to Rogan, but going on podsave wasn't enough to convince liberals that poor people deserve healthcare either.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Azathoth posted:

roberts understands that the culture war is over, and conservatives lost. i think kavanaugh and gorsuch understand this too, though i think they do harbor a lingering hope that they can bring it back.

roberts understands that his sole purpose on the court is to protect the current economic order. he knows, deep in his soul, that if the court were to start solely siding with social conservatives in the same way that they solely side with economic conservatives, that it would spark rank and file libs to action for decades, in the same way that roe sparked generations of conservatives, and he, occasionally joined by gorsuch and/or kavanaugh, is more than willing to throw a bone to the libs every now and again to keep them quiet.

i expect whoever is nominated to replace ginsberg will occasionally join them too, but all this means is that the ruling allowing monsanto to dump toxic waste directly into the basements of elementary schools will be 6-3 instead of 5-4.

Every decision is now getting swung 6-3 by new Supreme Court Justice Ivanka Trump

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Azathoth posted:

the dinner pic is from 10 days after the buzzfeed article dropped. a reasonable interpretation would be that he hadn't heard yet. there's stuff in the thread though about takimag for which there is ... not a charitable interpretation, though he does seem to have deleted most of it and at least stopped promoting it in public

I can believe that as a lazy liberal who thinks that all nazis were defeated in 1945, he could have fallen for their free-speech “all sides have a place in debate” decorum bullshit framing, but even in 2014 it was obviously a nazi rag run by obvious nazis

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

CharlestheHammer posted:

You're not wrong but the point is, the next one they put in is going to be completely over the side like Tom Cotton.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Azathoth posted:

so you're saying supreme court justice barack obama would give everyone what they wanted

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Gaupo Guacho posted:

Clinton lost to Trump lmao

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dr Pepper posted:

I mean are we talking "liberals" as in your regular person who has vaguely liberal views and just votes blue every two to four years or are we talkng about Liberals as in the blue check marks and dnc leadership. The former can learn i think but the latter are lost causes.
there are huge numbers of people who are as embedded into the blue team = good mentality as there are red team = good types for the republicans. millions of people. my dad is like this, ultra-partisan liberal democrat. it's not consistent it's a tribal, team mentality. he follows chuck schumer on twitter. he loves AOC because she dabs on republicans and owns them on twitter all the time. kamala harris, big fan, overjoyed she's the VP pick. bernie sanders: hates his loving guts because "he's not a democrat," blocks bernie bros on sight. it doesn't have to make sense.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It really fucks with me (and I'm sure a lot of other people too) that in America the fascists are blue and the more fascists are red. Use your politically-loaded colours right, drat it!

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It really fucks with me (and I'm sure a lot of other people too) that in America the fascists are blue and the more fascists are red. Use your politically-loaded colours right, drat it!

lol that literally started as the standard in 2000, and was a deliberate choice not to make the democrats the "red team" to avoid any communist associations

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

lol that literally started as the standard in 2000, and was a deliberate choice not to make the democrats the "red team" to avoid any communist associations

Well that sure has worked out fine for them.

Gaupo Guacho
Aug 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Clinton lost to Trump lmao
epic lmao rofl

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

https://townhall.com/columnists/kurtschlichter/2018/03/12/why-democrats-would-lose-the-second-civil-war-too-n2459833

Old as poo poo bit lmao at citing your Turner diaries prequel fan fiction as the primary source for your article.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

https://townhall.com/columnists/kurtschlichter/2018/03/12/why-democrats-would-lose-the-second-civil-war-too-n2459833

Old as poo poo bit lmao at citing your Turner diaries prequel fan fiction as the primary source for your article.

Which one of you was the guy arguing with all the chuds in the comments section? I appreciate your energy.

It is interesting to break down the rationale for wanting a 'civil war' happen again. Conservatives construct this flimsy narrative to explain how they would 'win' a civil war. Like a lot of solutions they propose, there seems to be these gross oversimplifications going on. For instance, there seems to be this 'siege theory' that they have for dealing with groups that oppose them - "Just surround San Francisco and all the soyboys will give up when they can't get their kombucha anymore!"

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Its exactly the attitude that the proto-fascists of the confederacy had. Also the same attitude the Nazis had.

Turns out fash start fights they can't win all the time

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/vicbergeriv/status/1307716918967635970?s=21

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Phi230 posted:

Its exactly the attitude that the proto-fascists of the confederacy had. Also the same attitude the Nazis had.

Turns out fash start fights they can't win all the time

What gets me about a lot of these guys is they're my age and older. I'm 41 and I know that even at my best I'm a step and a half behind guys in their 20's. And here these guys 50-60 years old slapping on a ton of equipment and body armor and pretending to be some sort of warfighter. Same thing with middle-age jugheads marching around with Proud Boy street brawlers. Just completely loving delusional.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
i blame the last 10-15 years of Liam Neeson’s filmography for old people thinking they’re the ultimate warriors.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

mlmp08 posted:

i blame the last 10-15 years of Liam Neeson’s filmography for old people thinking they’re the ultimate warriors.

There's always been one of those. Before Neeson it was Harrison Ford.

If you want to blame anyone, blame Tom Clancy.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the fash don't much mind if their street thugs keep getting brutalized because what they're trying to do isn't win, it's to create a narrative of so much chaos in the streets that they can sell themselves to the squishy liberals as the law and order fixer for these anarchists comin' for your nice neighborhood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Panfilo posted:

Which one of you was the guy arguing with all the chuds in the comments section? I appreciate your energy.

It is interesting to break down the rationale for wanting a 'civil war' happen again. Conservatives construct this flimsy narrative to explain how they would 'win' a civil war. Like a lot of solutions they propose, there seems to be these gross oversimplifications going on. For instance, there seems to be this 'siege theory' that they have for dealing with groups that oppose them - "Just surround San Francisco and all the soyboys will give up when they can't get their kombucha anymore!"

Most conservatives genuinely think that “the troops” will cohesively just turn to their side.

The author of that series clearly doesn’t know much about the US economy because in his fantasyland the west coast and the Northeast/mid Atlantic split from the US and immediately sink into economic disaster despite the fact that CA basically produces like a third of all staple crops in the United States and houses the only remotely healthy industry in the US, which is tech. There’s basically only two major ports, New Orleans and Houston which is kinda a major economic problem as well.

The new US with the Capitol of Dallas of course immediately becomes a beacon of prosperity and unity, as his ideal society is the fever dream of someone who thinks irony has something to do with shirts watching Starship Troopers and deciding that we could do no better than Verhoven’s satire of a pretty idiot fascist society.