Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Disinheriting multiple kids every generation tanks your renown bad and really isn't necessary outside of emergencies. It's best to just satisfy their inheritance by giving them inferior titles you conquer or revoke or if they will become independent on succession let them and then just conquer them. The latter is easy since you have claims already and your siblings will have no treasury and no men at arms. Forcing your unwanted heirs into knighthood is also a good way to get rid of them.

Another nice trick is that if you have a faith with temporal clerical appointment then you can basically disinherit one heir for free each succession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
One thing that irritates me is that it makes the player heir your legal heir in elective succession. I know it's easy enough to switch characters (if you have to.... I haven't yet), but, unless that character is unlanded, I would like my character to switch to the character I vote for, even if they lose.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Skypie posted:

Incidentally, is there a way to force vassals to convert to your culture? I really wanted to do the "Reclaim Britannia" thing but since the empire has since integrated a bunch of Scandinavia, a few of my powerful vassals aren't part of the right culture groups to trigger it. I mean, I guess I could just try to revoke the titles when I'm ready but that might cause headaches

apparently this was not a problem. I was able to do the reclamation regardless so who knows.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Gobblecoque posted:

Disinheriting multiple kids every generation tanks your renown bad and really isn't necessary outside of emergencies. It's best to just satisfy their inheritance by giving them inferior titles you conquer or revoke or if they will become independent on succession let them and then just conquer them. The latter is easy since you have claims already and your siblings will have no treasury and no men at arms. Forcing your unwanted heirs into knighthood is also a good way to get rid of them.

Another nice trick is that if you have a faith with temporal clerical appointment then you can basically disinherit one heir for free each succession.

You don't have to disinherit every generation, but it's nice to speed up getting that strengthen blood decision by skipping bad heirs and it's handy to keep your important counties in your control if expansion isn't really an option. I haven't had a non-genius ruler since 910 thanks to it. Plus honestly Renown isn't that hard to come by as time goes on.

I am convinced my computer might explode if I ever open the dynasty tree, so trade offs I guess

TGLT fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 20, 2020

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.
Quick question about Confederation Partition succession. If I own 3 duchy titles (let's assume they just comprise their de jure counties) and there's only two people in my line of succession, what happens to the third duchy title? Does the "handing out" of titles just cycle back to the first heir and he gets it, or does that third duchy title get destroyed and split up into counties and/or baronies between the two heirs to ensure an even distribution?

Retroblique fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 20, 2020

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TGLT posted:

You don't have to disinherit every generation, but it's nice to speed up getting
I am convinced my computer might explode if I ever open the dynasty tree, so trade offs I guess

Game will crash if you have more than ~500 iirc

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Retroblique posted:

Quick question about Confederation Partition succession. If I own 3 duchy titles (let's assume they just comprise their de jure counties) and there's only two people in my line of succession, what happens to the third duchy title? Does the "handing out" of titles just cycle back to the first heir and he gets it, or does that third duchy title get destroyed and split up into counties and/or baronies between the two heirs to ensure an even distribution?

In my experience, your second in line often gets two duchies for no discernible reason, and the counties are semi-randomly allocated so as to gently caress over your heir as much as possible.

Someone on reddit said that titles are actually handed out in the order you obtained them, which certainly sounds like the dumbass kind of thing an unpatched Paradox release would do.

e: here's another fun one. My homosexual king confronts his wife about the father of his child, and she admits to adultery and names the real father. A few days later the 'suspected of cheating' event pops up and apparently I have no evidence that she is unfaithful and she denies it and loses opinion of me. ???

Then she goes and pops out a second son at age 43 (??? does fertility stay at half peak even to 45?) and apparently he still suspects nothing.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 20, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What's going on here? Realm screen says HRE is primogeniture, title screen says it's elective.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Arglebargle III posted:

What's going on here? Realm screen says HRE is primogeniture, title screen says it's elective.

There's a specific title succession law attached to the Holy Roman Empire title, which overrides the general succession law of the realm. This is what happens if you use the Scandinavian Elective decision, for example. IIRC the HRE starts that way and has special prerequisites for removing it, on top of the normal prestige cost.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TGLT posted:

You don't have to disinherit every generation, but it's nice to speed up getting that strengthen blood decision by skipping bad heirs and it's handy to keep your important counties in your control if expansion isn't really an option. I haven't had a non-genius ruler since 910 thanks to it. Plus honestly Renown isn't that hard to come by as time goes on.

The dumb thing about Renown is that you only get it for independent rulers. So your dynasty is more renowned if members are duke-level vassals in half a dozen different kingdoms than it is if you become emperor of the entire world.

E: In my current Bastard Bill game my aging emperor saw his mediocre son and his even more mediocre grandson murdered within the space of a year by persons unknown, leaving his 8 year old great-grandson as heir.

Someone had a cunning plan, alright.

It's been a weird game all around. Baldrick is now my fourth ruler in the game, and so far everyone has outlived their own eldest son.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 20, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I am King and Duke of Bohemia and my heir is Duke of Julich. Would it be better to create the Kingdom of Germany and rule as an Emperor + Double King within the HRE or keep the one kingdom? How does that affect taxes and vassal opinions?

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

BigRoman posted:

Is he a different religion than you? It could be a holy order.

Does he have a bunch of money? It could be mercs.

No, same religion. I thought if it was mercenaries you'd see the name of their company? I feel like I've spotted mercenary companies on the map before and this just says "1st army of something or other" and "2nd army of something or other".

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Skypie posted:

Incidentally, is there a way to force vassals to convert to your culture? I really wanted to do the "Reclaim Britannia" thing but since the empire has since integrated a bunch of Scandinavia, a few of my powerful vassals aren't part of the right culture groups to trigger it. I mean, I guess I could just try to revoke the titles when I'm ready but that might cause headaches

I had posted about this earlier. Your options are:

-murder your way to someone with culture
-take in their young heirs and convert culture and wait until they (hopefully) take over
-revoke titles, take the event then distribute titles again

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
That true ruler perk is pretty great. Can pretty much vassalise any same religion Duke that borders you if you're an emperor. Don't even need de Jure title or same culture group.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
All of you who play with genius characters generation after generation, isn't that boring? I kinda like the unpredictability of a new heir, stirs things up. Sure, you might lose some territory and it can be challenging to survive, but that's where the fun is imo.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How do I best destabilize a neighboring empire? It’s 1200 and Byzantium is gigantic. I killed like 4 emperors in a row and it hasn’t burst into a lot of tiny pieces like I did with kingdoms.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I hope they fix the female ruler matrilineal bug soon. Just experienced this excitement over about 30 years in game:

1. As the emperor of Bengal I subjugated my enormous (but weak) neighbor, the King of Rajasthan. He has 3 kingdom titles and no sons.

2. I convince him to like me just long enough to marry my son and heir off to his 2nd daughter.

3. He goes hunting with me and gets injured. I obviously decline to save him and he dies from his wounds shortly after.

4. My heirs sisters in law meet untimely ends.

5. He and his gay wife only have daughters.

6. I take over as him - his daughter is in line to inherit almost everything. She’s already a Queen, and while I wasn’t paying attention - she patrilineally marries a random albino dude at the age of like 11. When I go to break the betrothal I’m told she’s already been a ruler for 10 years.

7. I disinherit her and have to kill another child, now my entire empire is going to my two toddler daughters.

8. I die and am now facing a massive uprising of about 9 kings and queens as a 10 year old Burmese girl. I start executing prisoners and that shuts them up.

9. My uncle assassinates my little sister for no reason and I get all of our titles back.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

shut up blegum posted:

All of you who play with genius characters generation after generation, isn't that boring? I kinda like the unpredictability of a new heir, stirs things up. Sure, you might lose some territory and it can be challenging to survive, but that's where the fun is imo.

Sometimes you just want to paint a map. Also I pretty much always start as a count or tiny duke, and being a genius doesn't change the material reality of having a quarter the troops of your two neighbors. It's a leg up but it's not as big as you might think.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Popoto posted:

Two questions:

- Anyone knows where the event for the sinful priest is in the game files? I wouldn't mind toning it down a bit manually until we get a patch. I know there are mods but they usually change a lot of other things I don't really want with this. Also I'd like to do it my way.

- I heard there's a bug with the good events for councillors making them not fire? What was it? Is that something else that's easily fixable?

1. It's in events/religion_events/fervor_events.txt right at the top.

2. In events/councillor_task_events/chancellor_task_events.txt the positive events (chancellor_task.2101, 2102, 2103) have as part of the trigger requirement "diplomacy < high_skill_rating" so that actually good characters will never have them fire. Obviously easily fixable by just overriding the task with the trigger conditional flipped.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I've always wanted to play CK but the ui has been a nightmare. CK3 has a fully redesigned ui with scaling, and it is good. I can read the text, see the buttons :toot:

Finally! I bought the game. They haven't patched the game yet but maybe next week...

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jedit posted:

The dumb thing about Renown is that you only get it for independent rulers. So your dynasty is more renowned if members are duke-level vassals in half a dozen different kingdoms than it is if you become emperor of the entire world.

Yeah, I had various family members running the empires for a while till I maxed out renown

Best thing is as dynasty head it's only 150 renown to claim any dynasty members titles, including empire titles. Made it easy to gather everything back up

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Jedit posted:

E: In my current Bastard Bill game my aging emperor saw his mediocre son and his even more mediocre grandson murdered within the space of a year by persons unknown, leaving his 8 year old great-grandson as heir.

It's been a weird game all around. Baldrick is now my fourth ruler in the game, and so far everyone has outlived their own eldest son.

What’s up with your prowess icon being different?

RED TEXT BIG GUN
Sep 1, 2001

Taco Defender
Is pressing Kingdom claims of a courtier bugged / not working? I did the find claimants event, I got someone with claim on Kingdom West Francia and a handful of counties in West Francia. I can click on the declare war option for the current King of Francia. In the declare war screen I can pick the claimant's claims but the warning tooltip says there *are* no claims. I'm an emperor, if that matters.

I paid this 6yo 350 gold to come chill out in my court wth.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
For AI Matrilineal Marriages, see this mod.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2228887124

It basically brute forces the issue with an AI decision that auto-divorces and remarries the same person except set to matrilineal. It also resets existing children to the female's house/culture/faith.

Female rulers will take that decision based on their religion's gender equality.

For male & equal dominated, a landed female ruler will take if they are married to a husband whose title rank is lower (or has less prestige and equal rank)
Female dominated always take the decision.

Haven't yet tested it though. This probably does allow female rulers to effectively matri-marry higher than they "should" get if the marriage evaluation system was working in the first place.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 20, 2020

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Jedit posted:

Eh, the best way to get reknown is just a lot of people in your house, it will way out scale even making them independent emperors. So if you own a kingdom where everyone who own's a duchy is your family and you have concubines/polygamy, you will soon way out reknown anyone just by sheer number of members of your family.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Glass of Milk posted:

I had posted about this earlier. Your options are:

-murder your way to someone with culture
-take in their young heirs and convert culture and wait until they (hopefully) take over
-revoke titles, take the event then distribute titles again

I dunno if it ended up not mattering because I was able to do the event as soon as I had the final county despite having two powerful vassals being Norse.

Unless they were not vassals of my ruler, which doesn't make sense but whatever, I got it done.

No achievement tho cuz I'm playing on easy mode to get the feel of the game lol

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

buglord posted:

How do I best destabilize a neighboring empire? It’s 1200 and Byzantium is gigantic. I killed like 4 emperors in a row and it hasn’t burst into a lot of tiny pieces like I did with kingdoms.

the byzantines are cheating fuckos who start with primogeniture in the tribal era. it's impossible to intentionally destabilize them without swearing fealty and working your way up.

They can still destabilize through murder causing short reign penalties and levy loss, but you basically just have to get lucky with khazaria and the abbasids keeping their poo poo together to do the work for you.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Trevor Hale posted:

What’s up with your prowess icon being different?

I hadn't noticed, but at a guess I'd say it's because my dynasty has a Warfare legacy.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

RED TEXT BIG GUN posted:

Is pressing Kingdom claims of a courtier bugged / not working? I did the find claimants event, I got someone with claim on Kingdom West Francia and a handful of counties in West Francia. I can click on the declare war option for the current King of Francia. In the declare war screen I can pick the claimant's claims but the warning tooltip says there *are* no claims. I'm an emperor, if that matters.

It’s because she’s a girl. The declare war screen will still display all potential claimants as an option but you generally can’t declare for a female claimant against a male title-holder.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

RED TEXT BIG GUN posted:

For titles with male preference or male only, it will only let you push a woman's claim against another woman or a child.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

wizardofloneliness posted:

It’s because she’s a girl. The declare war screen will still display all potential claimants as an option but you generally can’t declare for a female claimant against a male title-holder.

There is a way around this. If your religion has gender equality or female dominance, you can convert the girl to your faith and then press her - now legitimate - claims.

edit: I just did this earlier today, in fact, to grab a nice, big chunk of India.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

For titles with male preference or male only, it will only let you push a woman's claim against another woman or a child.

I don't think it's actually related to the succession law. It's related to religious doctrine. Women's claims can only be pressed against children, other women, or incapable rulers when following a male-dominated religion.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
My heir was not set to inherit my emperor title. Some non-dynastic grandson of mine who was born to my daughter, the wife of the Doge of Venice, was the heir. It was important to right this wrong, plus the little prick lived in Italy and never visited.

My emperor was 70, though, in poor health. Fortunately, I was able to plot and kill my grandson AND his sister. Eliminating the entire family line? Well, we do what we must to protect the inheritance. The sister, though, had been pregnant, and before she died she had her son.

Cute kid, but he had to die, too. As the plot progressed, I said a prayer every month my emperor kept on going. I switched him into learning and got a minor health boost- anything to keep him alive just long enough to get rid of that pesky family line.

The day for the plot's fruition finally came, and somehow, the newborn babe survived being forgotten in the woods. drat.

So I imprisoned and executed him and let my drunk son get the title instead.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Donnerberg posted:

So, I got the pure blood trait without even trying, but it was on a random cousin outside of my court, and she was taken a foreign jail before I could get hold of her. Unfortunately she died before I could figure out a way to free her. Paying the ransom wasn't available to me.

Once you have the pure blood trait, does it always pass to kids like consecrated blood or is it chance based?
It's very chance-based. If one parent has pure-blooded, kids have a 15% chance of inheriting it; if both do, a 75% chance.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
:black101:

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
I expect building a castle in my empty district will keep under the county title, but is that the best choice for a duke level character?

I kept seeing wonky modifiers about not being the right holder for the city under me, so I dunno if it's not converting people into republican vassals or what, and I'm not sure if more levies or more future gold might be a better choice when I'm struggling to not get capped by my idiot lieges superdukes before I make a move on them

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Dang, I had like 200 hours in CK2 but had never actually played the dynastic part of it (it's as stupid as it sounds), this is actually really fun. I just killed my half brother and I feel awful.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

You really only want levies until you're at a level where other dukes won't try to gently caress with though, Barracks buildings are great and we'll give you those. Then everything after that should be money basically.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Synnr posted:

I expect building a castle in my empty district will keep under the county title, but is that the best choice for a duke level character?

I kept seeing wonky modifiers about not being the right holder for the city under me, so I dunno if it's not converting people into republican vassals or what, and I'm not sure if more levies or more future gold might be a better choice when I'm struggling to not get capped by my idiot lieges superdukes before I make a move on them

The more baronies you hold in a county, the better IMO, since the councillor jobs only work by the county and most castle buildings only grant their bonuses on a county-level. Also, revoking baronies costs no tyranny. It's very good to have two duchies, yes, but in the sense that you want access to that second duchy building slot; it's more important to have better counties than duchies, and that means picking the counties with the most holding slots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You don't hold any baronies in a county besides the capital, even a castle will be given to a minor noble who will take off 90%-60% like a count would from their county, no?