Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020
Walls in Oxford were a thing but they were nothing to do with Nuffield. In my head it had something to do with the car factory.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/oxford/content/articles/2009/03/26/cutteslowe_feature.shtml

1998- Reclaim The Streets hold a party in Brixton, much to the dismay of The Met.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Oh dear me posted:

Only Labour governments are seriously blamed for recessions. 1980-1, Thatcher: re-elected. 1990-1, Major: re-elected.

Wilson also survived the mid-1970s recession, at least initially

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Dogatron posted:

For a few short years I did believe children lived in tunnels underneath London.

In my defense I was a child and it was all my dads fault. He took me to the Natural History Museum when I was six. On the tube he told me to never let go of my hand or I would never find my way out again. My natural curiosity saw this well intentioned lie turn into a tale of feral children living on dropped food, raw rats and having eyes as big as saucers. He loving scared me to death. At least I realised it was a load of poo poo eventually. Other poo poo he filled my head with stayed there a lot longer to my embarrassment when I attempted to buy the more expensive upstairs bus ticket.

Your dad sounds awesome.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

OwlFancier posted:

That does depend on how many people the tories can insulate from it, which, of course, their core base of bloodthirsty pensioners, almost entirely are.

Of course it is possible (probable) that labour will run on "we won't raise any taxes" and simply be the tory continuity party. Which will be much better, of course.

yeah this is something that gets heavily overlooked with the "red wall" going tory for the first time in however long is that labour is trying to appeal to people who are already well off and resentful and its doomed to failure

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As before I would feel happier if I knew that it was. Because I suspect that they might squeak through a win by actively courting the fraction of people who are doing well and just want more stability but actually propped up by millions of people who desperately need major change, and then do nothing and serve only to disillusion the latter group, clap themselves on the back and call it a rousing success and an ultimate rebuke of the loony left, then lose 5-10 years later again having achieved nothing and only made everything worse.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

As before I would feel happier if I knew that it was. Because I suspect that they might squeak through a win by actively courting the fraction of people who are doing well and just want more stability but actually propped up by millions of people who desperately need major change, and then do nothing and serve only to disillusion the latter group, clap themselves on the back and call it a rousing success and an ultimate rebuke of the loony left, then lose 5-10 years later again having achieved nothing and only made everything worse.

the new labour gambit. good thing that you'll hear after the latter group have been hosed off that it was entirely the new leaders fault and not the centrist king

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol at this choice of speech picked for boris

https://twitter.com/wabbey/status/1307624322102681600

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Jose posted:

lol at this choice of speech picked for boris

https://twitter.com/wabbey/status/1307624322102681600

That is some top tier trolling.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

What the media and Keir are studiously ignoring is that most of the votes labour lost in the red wall didn't go to the Tories - they either didn't vote or went to the brexit party. Tory vote share didn't raise much, labours just plummeted.

For Example, Vale of Clwyd, which was the first-reporting seat of 2019 and indicated the night to come.

Labour - 19,423
Tory - 17,044
PC - 1,551
Lib Dem - 666

Turnout of 68%

Labour - 15,443 (-3980)
Tory - 17,270 (+236)
PC - 1,552 (+1)
Lib Dem - 1,471 (+805)
Brexit - 1,477 (+1477)

Turnout of 65.7%

The Tories didn't win anymore votes in 2019 than they did in 2017 - which we almost won. The 2017 labour coalition of voters collapsed, due to Brexit and sustained media attack on Labour. And Kier isn't trying to bring them back, instead of focusing on this mythical Labour-Tory swing voter.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Fumble posted:

That is some top tier trolling.

Proof that God doesn't exist as he didn't immediately melt like the nazi in Indiana Jones.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Nothingtoseehere posted:

What the media and Keir are studiously ignoring is that most of the votes labour lost in the red wall didn't go to the Tories - they either didn't vote or went to the brexit party. Tory vote share didn't raise much, labours just plummeted.

For Example, Vale of Clwyd, which was the first-reporting seat of 2019 and indicated the night to come.

Labour - 19,423
Tory - 17,044
PC - 1,551
Lib Dem - 666

Turnout of 68%

Labour - 15,443 (-3980)
Tory - 17,270 (+236)
PC - 1,552 (+1)
Lib Dem - 1,471 (+805)
Brexit - 1,477 (+1477)

Turnout of 65.7%

The Tories didn't win anymore votes in 2019 than they did in 2017 - which we almost won. The 2017 labour coalition of voters collapsed, due to Brexit and sustained media attack on Labour. And Kier isn't trying to bring them back, instead of focusing on this mythical Labour-Tory swing voter.

this story doesn’t make labour move right why would it ever get news coverage

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Wanted to show my appreciation for the thread over this year particularly, been a good digest and distraction during lockdown, here's to lockdown 2. Funny to think just a few months ago looked like all of SA was going to evaporate, and I'm glad it didn't.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

justcola posted:

Wanted to show my appreciation for the thread over this year particularly, been a good digest and distraction during lockdown, here's to lockdown 2. Funny to think just a few months ago looked like all of SA was going to evaporate, and I'm glad it didn't.

i'm hoping it doesn't but until the sale actually goes through...

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

for fucks sake

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/Jamin2g/status/1307603369780015104

Please Boris say what you're going to do so that I can support it, love from Kier.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
How much is a website even worth? Perhaps I should leave for a bit, drastically lowering it's value, until the sale has gone through.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

How much is a website even worth? Perhaps I should leave for a bit, drastically lowering it's value, until the sale has gone through.

I think Jeffery has managed to get Lowtax down to 3 vertebrae and won't budge any further.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Nothingtoseehere posted:

It's also interesting to look at the stats of how votes were building prior to this election. In our consituency, the results were:

2015 (turnout 70.3%)
Conservatives - 31,092 (+1.3%)
Labour - 9,343 (+2.1%)
Lib Dems - 7,611 (-14.9%)

EU Ref (73.9% turnout)
Leave: 46.46%
Remain: 53.54%

2017 (turnout 74.1%)
Conservatives - 34,459 (+0.9%)
Labour - 17,079 (+10.8%)
Lib Dems - (+1.5%)

2019 (turnout 73.9%)
Conservatives - 34,085 (-3.4%)
Labour - 10,181 (+11.7%)
Lib Dems - 21,432 (+17.4%)

This is not a resounding 'win' for the tories because their vote share barely moved - they actually lost votes. This was the lib dems splitting the opposition and it's completely disingenuous of centrist journos to quickly google just the 2019 results and call it that.

It's centrist ratfucking all the way down.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

justcola posted:

for fucks sake

i'm not trying to doomsay like lowtax's recent announcement is that it'll finish soon and I have no more knowledge of how its going than that

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Labour - 19,423
Tory - 17,044
PC - 1,551
Lib Dem - 666

Turnout of 68%

Labour - 15,443 (-3980)
Tory - 17,270 (+236)
PC - 1,552 (+1)
Lib Dem - 1,471 (+805)
Brexit - 1,477 (+1477)

Turnout of 65.7%

Thanks for doing a more well-researched version of the post that I was about to make: there was no Tory surge in the 'red wall' in 2019, Tory voters in those areas stayed about the same, while Labour voters stayed home. I really feel that Starmer's making the same mistakes as Biden is: abandoning his core vote in order to chase after a traditionalist, patriotic swing vote that doesn't actually exist.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I hope the Sinovac vaccine works out and beats the one that might make you allergic to your own spine.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

OwlFancier posted:

I still find a bandanna to be by far the most comfortable option and it covers my beard too so it probably works better.
Wasn't there a study that found bandanas actively increase the spread of infection by making the droplets you breathe out much smaller? :v:

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

In Starmer's head he isn't chasing any votes, he is treading water, and keeping his options open - the sensible thing to do. The lack of policy indications or even announcements of any substance are evidence of this.

Some people would consider that not acting as an opposition while the government mishandles not one but two national crises is a political decision. But he sees it simply as a tactical decision. As far as he is concerned the left is a hostage to him because he owns the labour brand, and the new territory of Tory swing voter (including the Lib dem foothills) must be conquered. The way to do this is apparently to appeal to the "secret Tory" the person who votes Tory but won't admit it. Never mind that this person has been proven not to exist

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Pilchenstein posted:

Wasn't there a study that found bandanas actively increase the spread of infection by making the droplets you breathe out much smaller? :v:

I think that was those stretchy lycra neckwarmer things that sports people wear in the cold. they aerosolised most of the droplets you exhale

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah mine is just cotton, and I fold it over a couple of times. Which is also what my good mask is made of except it's too small.

It certainly holds a lot of the moisture in given how much swamp face I get but it doesn't resrict breathing.

Perhaps I am an unusually foisty boy.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 20, 2020

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

My favourite politician at the moment is Matt Hancock because he likes to have a laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlC7b6C6VQY

I also like to imagine an alternative universe where people have different jobs, I have decided he would be a music teacher at a high school who ends up overseeing people in detention and getting bullied by introverted 14 year olds calling him Mancock as a way to increase their social standing.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

Pilchenstein posted:

There are all sort of studies about facecoverings you could find either for or against.

I'm inclined now to see coronovirus as commensal. The odds of a vaccine soon are rapidly going out of the window. If you are that risk averse and have a nice middle class job when you can work from home and worry and fret every time you open your front door, deal with it.

The rest of society has kept on keeping on looking after you. Provided your refuse collection, electricity, security, health care, gas, water and food. They took the risk and are still doing the same thing.

Bodies are not being stacked up in the street.

Protect and shield the elderly by all means, but the worried middle class moaning and whining about masks and social distancing are starting to piss me off. It really has a strong smell of classism.

I'm sure middle class people were much the same when typhoid was rampant.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

CancerCakes posted:

The way to do this is apparently to appeal to the "secret Tory" the person who votes Tory but won't admit it. Never mind that this person has been proven not to exist

they're called Lib Dems

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Has it really been 5 years?

https://twitter.com/mikeyfranklin/status/1307767009405538320

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Dogatron posted:

deal with it...

Bodies are not being stacked up in the street...

Acting the big man now but wait until there's no toilet roll again.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

justcola posted:

My favourite politician at the moment is Matt Hancock because he likes to have a laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlC7b6C6VQY

I also like to imagine an alternative universe where people have different jobs, I have decided he would be a music teacher at a high school who ends up overseeing people in detention and getting bullied by introverted 14 year olds calling him Mancock as a way to increase their social standing.

https://twitter.com/thesundaysport/status/1307394062690013184

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Dogatron posted:

There are all sort of studies about facecoverings you could find either for or against.

I'm inclined now to see coronovirus as commensal. The odds of a vaccine soon are rapidly going out of the window. If you are that risk averse and have a nice middle class job when you can work from home and worry and fret every time you open your front door, deal with it.

The rest of society has kept on keeping on looking after you. Provided your refuse collection, electricity, security, health care, gas, water and food. They took the risk and are still doing the same thing.

Bodies are not being stacked up in the street.

Protect and shield the elderly by all means, but the worried middle class moaning and whining about masks and social distancing are starting to piss me off. It really has a strong smell of classism.

I'm sure middle class people were much the same when typhoid was rampant.
The gently caress is this post lol

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020
The furlough scheme.

I would be embarrassed to be on that. If I looked round at life and realised that the world has not noticed my productive labour has stopped for six months.

I realise your job does not define your life, but in a capitalist society it is some what part of your life. Notice the growth of trade unions. They were powerful because of the threat to withdraw productive work.

I doubt people on furlough even noticed that their withdrawal of labour changed nothing in society. For six months. Class consciousness in the furloughed needs to be addressed but it did not go unnoticed by people still working.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the complete interchangeability of your labour is a pretty normal understanding of the working class, personally.

Like yes when I am not at work other people do the work instead, because there are other people who know how to do my job, because my job is one of a mass system of people doing the job. The difference is they do it and get paid for it instead of me. As I do when they are not at work.

Also the reason most of the people on furlough were on furlough was because nobody was doing the things they normally facilitate with their labour, like going to hotels. And the lack of anyone doing that was quite noticeable I think?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dogatron posted:

The furlough scheme.

I would be embarrassed to be on that. If I looked round at life and realised that the world has not noticed my productive labour has stopped for six months.

I've got some very bad news for you OP, most jobs are meaningless busywork that exists solely to generate profit for someone else.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

OwlFancier posted:

I think the complete interchangeability of your labour is a pretty normal understanding of the working class, personally.

No.

It never has been and it certainly is not now either.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

forkboy84 posted:

I've got some very bad news for you OP, most jobs are meaningless busywork that exists solely to generate profit for someone else.

My point exactly. The people who had to go to work to keep society running did so. If I was furloughed I would question my contribution to society. Am I needed?

Almost certainly not.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

CancerCakes posted:

In Starmer's head he isn't chasing any votes, he is treading water, and keeping his options open - the sensible thing to do. The lack of policy indications or even announcements of any substance are evidence of this.

Some people would consider that not acting as an opposition while the government mishandles not one but two national crises is a political decision. But he sees it simply as a tactical decision. As far as he is concerned the left is a hostage to him because he owns the labour brand, and the new territory of Tory swing voter (including the Lib dem foothills) must be conquered. The way to do this is apparently to appeal to the "secret Tory" the person who votes Tory but won't admit it. Never mind that this person has been proven not to exist

Agree with the first part of your post, disagree with the contradictory second part, is the hypothetical moderate tory/lib dem really a new emerging territory that's meaningful to a Labour victory plan?

Starmer obviously knew that Labour not recognising the Brexit referendum would destroy its electoral chances, so he pushed remainiac poo poo under Corbyn to ensure Corbyn would lose in 2019, and so has 180'd completely now he's the leader. But honestly that red wall tribal Labour brexiter voter seems to be only demographic he's actually courting.

He doesn't have to court the Sensible People, as long as he is very clearly willing to maintain the economic status quo then the press will bring those people onside for him. His strategy is cuck to the rich and win back the people he deliberately alienated for 2019. He's going to be inoffensive and blank slate while occasionally but consistently being wierdly right wing on culture war stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dogatron posted:

My point exactly. The people who had to go to work to keep society running did so. If I was furloughed I would question my contribution to society. Am I needed?

Almost certainly not.

You are not needed while the section of society you keep running is stopped by the government. But I think there is pretty compelling evidence that recreational service labour is something that a lot of people would like to have even if it is not strictly needed to stop them dying. And some aspects of it, such as food service, were replaced in part by other labour to provide food to people in other ways.

The maximally labour efficient method to perpetuate human lives might be to keep everybody in cubes and feed them through tubes but I would suggest that if you did that you have effectively removed a lot of parts of "society" to achieve it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 20, 2020