Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Charles posted:

I had whatever the light Diamond is just turn off randomly on me, but I was able to restart it. I wonder if that's related, or are people only reporting it on the a320? Maybe I had the wrong tank selected or something.

As far as I know, the engine 1 failure thing is only on the A320. It happens if you shut down the APU after starting the engines and it will not turn on again after that. So far the solution has been to leave the APU running throughout the flight, which is not ideal. But there's still really weird ghosts in the machine. On this A320 flight my screens flipped off on final and disconnected my autopilot, was actually kinda neat to have a failure of that magnitude happening since the screens took a while to reboot and I was suddenly flying blind, at night, at 1500 feet on descend (pretty sure it was all my avionics failing but I didn't really have time to troubleshoot). Was actually quite nerve wracking but I managed to land the thing safely, if bumpy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Report from Agent Grover - I installed an extra viewing port just in front of the landing gear and now this FAA guy says the plane is 'structurally unsound'. I assume I can sign it off and go fly the mission?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Just become an inspector and certify it yourself.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Is there a way to upgrade to the deluxe or premium packages if you originally bought the base game package? Can you use steam wallet to make in-app purchases?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What's annoying me lately is that when I'm programming the proper departure route, in the flight computer, instead of following the proper departure route as per charts, it'll typically do the first turn right at the end of the runway already.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

One in the Bum posted:

Is there a way to upgrade to the deluxe or premium packages if you originally bought the base game package? Can you use steam wallet to make in-app purchases?

In the marketplace, there are options to upgrade.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
OK dumb question, in the AP steam gauge 172, how do I set NAV mode to CDI 1? I turn on NAV and it doesn't seem to engage unless it's in GPS mode.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Charles posted:

OK dumb question, in the AP steam gauge 172, how do I set NAV mode to CDI 1? I turn on NAV and it doesn't seem to engage unless it's in GPS mode.

At the top of the Dash there is a glowing button that says either gps or nav, nav sets it to your beacon and cdi

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Lord Stimperor posted:

At the top of the Dash there is a glowing button that says either gps or nav, nav sets it to your beacon and cdi

I guess I'm a really long way out from intercepting the radial. I'll try it again once I get closer.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I failed and didn't seem to be at the right place when the radials intercepted :( I'll have to brush up on my basics and try again.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Combat Pretzel posted:

What's annoying me lately is that when I'm programming the proper departure route, in the flight computer, instead of following the proper departure route as per charts, it'll typically do the first turn right at the end of the runway already.

Does it show the proper course on the map?

I don't have much to add but I was about to get into departures too so I'm paying attention to your plight.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Lord Stimperor posted:

Hi y'all,

Because there isn't much in terms of non-sandbox content, I've decided to write up a short mission. It practices some VOR skills, following the tutorial that Sagebrush and others gave a while back (I think there was also a very useful effortpost about this somewhere in this thread).

Let me know if this is fun and what to improve, I'd like to make a few more scenarios.

GOON SQUAD MISSION 1: VOICE OF FREEDOM
:911:

California desert, USA
April 4th, 1985

Agent Grover,

Your help is direly needed. The A-Team has requested your services as a former combat pilot to rescue a journalist from the clutches of the prison industrial complex. They want to silence her and we can't allow that to happen. The A-team has managed to bring her to a safe location in the desert, but they will not be able to leave with her for reasons that they will not share. They won't pay much, but they hope you haven't yet lost all your idealism and will pitch in for the Greater Good.

Your mission is to find the safe house, using the navigation instructions that Mr. Murdock of the A-Team provided. Land there and pick up the journalist, and bring her safely to nearby Big Bear City.

Mission preparation
:engleft:
Time: Crack of dawn
Departure: Twentynine palms (KNXP), runway 28
Arrival: Big Bear City
Aircraft: any plane with 2 seats and the ability to pick up 2 VOR stations.
Recommended: Cessna 152, Cessna 172 (not the glass cockpit variants)

Prior to takeoff, tune your two navigation radios so you can fly a course along their beams.
NAV 1: Palm Springs (PSP), VOR frequency 115.5, course 325
NAV 2: Hector (HEC), VOR frequency 112.7, course 215

Mission plan
Take off straight out from KNXP RW28. Gain enough altitude to pick up the two VOR beacons. Set your CDI to NAV1 (course 325, intercept and fly along that beam, out over the desert in northwest direction. Hint: if you fly in an autopilot-equipped plane like the Cessna 172, put your auto pilot into nav mode so you can monitor your surroundings).

After some minutes pass, you will overfly Emerson Lake. Continue. A little after that, the course of VOR 2 will intersect with your present course (both CDIs will be centered; hint: you should be over a narrow lake).

At this point, turn west. A few miles ahead of you, you should see three buildings in the desert - two side-by-side, one a little to the side. Land there (carefully!) and taxi up to the two buildings.

The journalist in distress will enter your plane (gameplay hint: increase the plane's weight accordingly).

With the journalist on board, take off and head South, towards a mountain range in the distance. Maintain 200 feet or less above ground to prevent being spotted by the goons of the military industrial complex who want to silence the journalist!

Behind the mountain range lie Big Bear City and your destination, Big Bear Airport. Be careful as you approach the mountains, as they will be too steep to climb over. Either approach them at an angle, or go around.

Land at Big Bear Airtpot.

Congratulations Agent Grover, today you have saved a voice of freedom in the fight against oppression! :hfive:

Gameplay hints
Click here for images of the two waypoints

Thanks for this, it was a fun trip. It took me a bit to figure out the VOR intercepting thing, but past that it was smooth sailing. I liked the final leg where you're flying low, and it gets from flat flat flat, to suddenly hilly, to mountains.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Just become an inspector and certify it yourself.

Ah, the Boeing method.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Since the new update I'm having a weird issue where performance is fine when I first start a flight, but if I hit escape and go into the menu, fps craters and it turns into a slideshow. Performance stays bad after I leave the menu - but if I tab out and put a window in front, the game runs fine. Any ideas?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lord Stimperor posted:

Hi y'all,

Because there isn't much in terms of non-sandbox content, I've decided to write up a short mission. It practices some VOR skills, following the tutorial that Sagebrush and others gave a while back (I think there was also a very useful effortpost about this somewhere in this thread).

Let me know if this is fun and what to improve, I'd like to make a few more scenarios.

California desert, USA
April 4th, 1985

Agent Grover,

Your help is direly needed. The A-Team has requested your services as a former combat pilot to rescue a journalist from the clutches of the prison industrial complex. They want to silence her and we can't allow that to happen. The A-team has managed to bring her to a safe location in the desert, but they will not be able to leave with her for reasons that they will not share. They won't pay much, but they hope you haven't yet lost all your idealism and will pitch in for the Greater Good.

Your mission is to find the safe house, using the navigation instructions that Mr. Murdock of the A-Team provided. Land there and pick up the journalist, and bring her safely to nearby Big Bear City.

Mission preparation

Prior to takeoff, tune your two navigation radios so you can fly a course along their beams.

Mission plan
Take off straight out from KNXP RW28. Gain enough altitude to pick up the two VOR beacons. Set your CDI to NAV1 (course 325, intercept and fly along that beam, out over the desert in northwest direction. Hint: if you fly in an autopilot-equipped plane like the Cessna 172, put your auto pilot into nav mode so you can monitor your surroundings).

After some minutes pass, you will overfly Emerson Lake. Continue. A little after that, the course of VOR 2 will intersect with your present course (both CDIs will be centered; hint: you should be over a narrow lake).

At this point, turn west. A few miles ahead of you, you should see three buildings in the desert - two side-by-side, one a little to the side. Land there (carefully!) and taxi up to the two buildings.

The journalist in distress will enter your plane (gameplay hint: increase the plane's weight accordingly).

With the journalist on board, take off and head South, towards a mountain range in the distance. Maintain 200 feet or less above ground to prevent being spotted by the goons of the military industrial complex who want to silence the journalist!

Behind the mountain range lie Big Bear City and your destination, Big Bear Airport. Be careful as you approach the mountains, as they will be too steep to climb over. Either approach them at an angle, or go around.

Congratulations Agent Grover, today you have saved a voice of freedom in the fight against oppression! :hfive:

Gameplay hints

That was fun.

Had to cheat a little and use the nav map to reorient myself at the beginning. I screwed up and went the wrong way to catch the initial radial :downs:

The landing at the end was *directly* into the sun, so that was fun.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 20, 2020

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
BTW for the cdi is there a specific camera angle you use to make sure you're lining up the dial right on the dot? It seems like it might be off 1 or 2 degrees depending on your perspective. Maybe I need a better video card, too.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

I'm building an aircraft that I would eventually like to sell (it's a 1920s raceplane, one of a series I'd like to make). Just wondering, what are the most popular sites to post it on (like Xplane has it's main forum for add-ons) and what designers are people really looking forward to to see their work in the new MSFS?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Does this work with MSFS2020?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Charles posted:

I failed and didn't seem to be at the right place when the radials intercepted :( I'll have to brush up on my basics and try again.

Charles posted:

BTW for the cdi is there a specific camera angle you use to make sure you're lining up the dial right on the dot? It seems like it might be off 1 or 2 degrees depending on your perspective. Maybe I need a better video card, too.

Next time I'll make a screenshot of the relevant settings, but I was too busy this time. I think the instrument just is that fiddly, I'm fairily confident in setting it on a multiple of 5, but the steps in between are hard and I need to count 'clicks'. Maybe putting on the cockpit lights can make it more visible?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Does it show the proper course on the map?

I don't have much to add but I was about to get into departures too so I'm paying attention to your plight.
The world map? I wouldn't know, I program them into the plane via the flight computer. Because simulation :downs:

Here's the chart, and I've drawn in what MSFS wanted to do and also showed in the flight computer:

Even on the world map, things don't look right. Autogenerated routes between airports (RWY to RWY), aren't even remotely sensible. They're all over the place with 90° turns where they don't seem necessary, or even switchbacks, and no proper departures or arrivals. If it were up to the game, you'd depart at an 90° angle at the end of the runway, and also land that way. If I start fiddling with charts and select the departures, arrivals and STARs manually, the routes end up way better. And even then it seems to mess with things, because there's eventually still gotchas that aren't visible on the world map and only start to show in the flight computer.

And for the life of me, I can't manage the game to actually plan/plot a proper approach, like in the promo video about IFR a while back. At least over here in Europe. As in this poo poo:

Seems like this yet another feature that was functional enough to show in a promo video, but not actually deploy. That poo poo happened quite a lot in the alpha.

--edit:
Also, kind of related to the chart above, it's kind of hilarious that the flight computers in the airliners can plot smooth turns around waypoints, but the autopilot doesn't even remotely fly that way.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Sep 20, 2020

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Good ol' Goon missions!

https://i.imgur.com/mLdSDD1.mp4

quote:

Slmod- TEAM KILL: "SNARE DRUM 1-1 | ELMO" killed friendly unit "Rescuable 1-1" with Mk-82 SnakeEye!
Slmod- TEAM KILL: "SNARE DRUM 1-1 | ELMO" killed friendly unit "Rescuable 1-2" with Mk-82 SnakeEye!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

sigher posted:

Does this work with MSFS2020?

You have no shot of making this work if you can’t look on the product page for a news post called “working on msfs2020”.

http://www.simionic.net/WordPress/2020/09/working-on-fs2020/

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Lord Stimperor posted:

Next time I'll make a screenshot of the relevant settings, but I was too busy this time. I think the instrument just is that fiddly, I'm fairily confident in setting it on a multiple of 5, but the steps in between are hard and I need to count 'clicks'. Maybe putting on the cockpit lights can make it more visible?

I did it last night! Yay!

Yeah, I count mouse wheel clicks from the tick mark, but depending on position of camera the arrow looks like it could be either right or left of the tick mark, so I'm never sure if I'm off by 1 degree or so. I can take screenshots when I load up again next time to show what I mean.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I had the a320 engine bug, then the PFD bug twice. While kinda amusing, it’s also kinda lovely. drat it, Asobo, get your poo poo together.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

You have no shot of making this work if you can’t look on the product page for a news post called “working on msfs2020”.

http://www.simionic.net/WordPress/2020/09/working-on-fs2020/

Their G1000 ipad app looks interesting. Looks like you can press MFD buttons on the ipad.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Sucks that flight nerds only ever make things for ipads.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Lord Stimperor posted:

California desert, USA
April 4th, 1985

Agent Grover,

This was really fun, especially trying to get to Big Bear City from low level barn storming the desert plain.

I wouldn't sweat trying to get exact hint pictures of your dials or anything, at least as part of the main mission instructions for a VFR-VOR mission. The oblong lake VFR hint was enough and you might consider either getting a "satellite" picture of the nav point from maps or using drone mode to get a ground level picture of the feature.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cojawfee posted:

iPad has absolutely dominated android or windows tablets in the RL aviation market. Seeing a non-Apple product is like spotting a unicorn.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah man, would totally love to develop for a million versions of Android hardware and operating systems

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Lord Stimperor posted:

Hi y'all,

California desert, USA
April 4th, 1985

Agent Grover,

Mission preparation

Mission plan

Gameplay hints

This was a lot of fun, thanks for putting it together. I haven't done any VOR navigation before and this was a good introduction. I got confused at the start since you have to go a pretty good distance west to intercept PSP at course 325 - not sure if that was supposed to be obvious or if it was intentionally left out of the instructions so that there would be an element of problem solving (if so, kudos).

I would love to do another of these.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I started a trip into Alaska. Let me know if there are some nice legs to fly and sights to explore. Here's a trip report with instructions to fly along. Let me know if there are interesting sights to see in the area or nice places to go. I'm not familiar with Alaska at all and just thought it'd be cool to go hunting for wilderness and remote settlements.

I like these improvised bush trips and if anyone else has done some, post them here, let's take each other places!

The Alaskan Trip (leg 1)
:engleft: Link to complete walk-along

Flight settings
Date: Sept. 20th
Time: 07:00
(Results in scenic, pink sunrise en route)

Airplane: Cessna 172 steam gauge

If you want to fly this leg, keep in mind:
- You'll need to fly up to 10,000ft
- Airplane should be able to receive VOR for navigation
- You may want to have an extra couple of gallons of fuel in your tank

Departure: Talkeetna Airport, RW10
Arrival: Minchumima / Tanana

Flight instructions
Departure: Talkeetna Airport, RW 10
Set course on: VOR Talkeetna TKA 116.2, Radial 290, at 2500ft

As you depart from Talkeenta, you will first overfly large swaths of forest. Slowly, the mountain ranges of Denali National Park come into view. You will be climbing them, so climb to about 4500-5000ft.

While you overfly the first couple of minor peaks, Tokositna Glacier will pass on your right. It's the source of the Tokositna river, and like most glaciers on Earth, unfortunately thinning. Remain on the course for a few more minutes.

You will fly over a few large peaks and gorges that look like a a big glacier. However these are merely the beginning, keep following the course.

Your real target is the absolutely huge Kahiltna glacier, which you can hardly miss. Unsurprisingly, it is the largest of the glaciers in the park, which in turn is the largest mountain of the United States. The scale of this frozen water stream is ridiculous, and to think that glaciers used to cover large parts of Europe under kilometers of ice is simply mind-boggling.

At this time, the sun is barely beginning to grace its edges. As you cross it, depart from the VOR beam and start ascending the glacier. You will go in roughly northern direction. The glacier's peak is about 10,000 ft tall, so don't wait until the end before you start climbing.

As you leave behind Mount Foraker on your left and Mount Hunter on your right, you will approach the peak of Kahiltna Glacier. It's next to the peak of Mount Denali itself. Directly in front of you is a steep mountain side that acts as a barrier. Make sure your heading indicator is ready and cross the barrier.

At this point, you may experience turbulence and icing. After passing the mountaineous barrier, turn north (about 15-20 degrees). You're now on a glacier that will eventually become Muldrorow Glacier. Keep following and shallowly descend along with the glacier, obsvering its paths through the patches of wind shield that aren't iced up.

The glacier will make a left turn, revealing an arm of the McKinley river. You will now be flying at a heading of approximately 340.

Approach McKinley river. It will soon reach a junction.

Take a left turn and follow it at approximately 295 degrees.

We're getting close to our destinationo, Lake Minchumina. You now have a choice between approaching it instrumentally or visually.

If you want to continue visually, keep following McKinley river. As the river slowly makes a right bend, Lake Minchumina should show up on your 10-11 o'clock. It's by far the biggest body of water as far as the eye can see, so you shouldn't miss it.

If you prefer to let the autopilot handle it, you're in luck: you are still receiving the TKA beacon out here. Set it your CDI to a course of 310 degrees and let your autopilot carry you back on the bean.

Either way, you will leave behind McKinley river on your right and cross Birch Creek, as Minchumina comes into view.

Sadly, it is now that we realize that Minchumina Airport (PAMH) is not modelled in the game.

If you're in a STOL-capable plane with a robust landig gear, you may still try to get down at the lake anyway to have a nice stay at the cabins there. If you tok a C172 or bigger that will probably not be possible, so remain on the beam while we search for an alternative airport.

We're in luck: out here, we can receive TANANA (TAL) on frequency 116.6. Setting course on radial 350 (TO) will lead us directly to Ralph M Calhoun Memorial Airport (PATA). PATA is part of the small settlement of Tanana, which hosts beautiful views of the Yukon-Kuskokwim-Delta.

Unfortunately, it's quite a distance to PATA. If you didn't depart with any extra fuel, climb up to 10,000ft. and ease back on the throttle to save on fuel. You're probably on reserves by now.

You can tune into PATA traffic on 122.9 and announce that you're inbound.

Once PATA is in sight, disable the autopilot and join the pattern to RW25. The runway elevation is 229.6 feet.

If you're like me and didn't bring any extra fuel, you'll be able to put your plane down with 2 gallons left in the tank, and gladly enjoy viewing the Yukon safely from the ground.

Welcome to Tanana!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Lord Stimperor posted:

If you're like me and didn't bring any extra fuel, you'll be able to put your plane down with 2 gallons left in the tank,

Starting a trip in day VFR conditions with the intention to land with less than 30 minutes of reserve fuel (around 4.5 gallons in your 172) is a violation of 14 CFR 91.151.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sagebrush posted:

Starting a trip in day VFR conditions with the intention to land with less than 30 minutes of reserve fuel (around 4.5 gallons in your 172) is a violation of 14 CFR 91.151.

Jokes on you, I'm in alaska nobody can get me here

(I think I would have had those gallons easily had the game modelled the lake airport)

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Combat Pretzel posted:

The world map? I wouldn't know, I program them into the plane via the flight computer. Because simulation :downs:

Here's the chart, and I've drawn in what MSFS wanted to do and also showed in the flight computer:

Even on the world map, things don't look right. Autogenerated routes between airports (RWY to RWY), aren't even remotely sensible. They're all over the place with 90° turns where they don't seem necessary, or even switchbacks, and no proper departures or arrivals. If it were up to the game, you'd depart at an 90° angle at the end of the runway, and also land that way. If I start fiddling with charts and select the departures, arrivals and STARs manually, the routes end up way better. And even then it seems to mess with things, because there's eventually still gotchas that aren't visible on the world map and only start to show in the flight computer.

And for the life of me, I can't manage the game to actually plan/plot a proper approach, like in the promo video about IFR a while back. At least over here in Europe. As in this poo poo:

Seems like this yet another feature that was functional enough to show in a promo video, but not actually deploy. That poo poo happened quite a lot in the alpha.

--edit:
Also, kind of related to the chart above, it's kind of hilarious that the flight computers in the airliners can plot smooth turns around waypoints, but the autopilot doesn't even remotely fly that way.
Some approaches do have pretty weird turns and switchbacks in real life though, could that be it? The autogenerated flightplans is one of the few areas that haven't given me issues so far, unless I'm missing something that's happening to you. I just select the departures and arrivals/approaches I want from the dropdowns and it all goes right into the FMC. Unless you're going direct it should build you a nice flightplan from there without any weird 90 degree turns at the runway.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I thought I'd try that Juneau approach today. I plotted out a course from Portland International. When I went to punch in KJNU, nothing was found. I guess I'll set as much of the approach coordinates as possible and just hero my way down.

Combat Pretzel posted:

No, more like the VFR map. I'm only saying to reference that one since it's universal. Whatever displays are in your plane are also probably using it but I don't really know all the planes and wouldn't know what display to toy with. The VFR map is also universally zoomable and pannable.

That departure looked like garbage but this approach seemed okay?

[/quote]
That looked really normal and then a little birdie in my head tried to tell me that maybe Midway's runways go diagonally. Ewww.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Weeks ago when we did that goon flight south of San Francisco, we were flying into our destination and we saw a couple other planes off in the distance and someone mentioned that if we could see them, they could see us. That doesn't seem to be the case. Drew Scanlon (the blinking white guy) just did a charity stream for his BikeMS thing he does every year and he was doing some flights in MSFS2020. I had my settings set to all, and his were set to group only. So he was able to see the person he was flying with, but could not see me or the 3 or 4 other people who were also hanging around.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
ICAO for Juneau is PAJN

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Lord Stimperor posted:

I started a trip into Alaska. Let me know if there are some nice legs to fly and sights to explore.

gently caress yes. Starting in Talkeetna is metal as gently caress, as well. Strong recommend for flying south out of Anchorage down the Turnagain arm through the mountains to Whittier (PAWR). It’s a lot shorter than that flight, but it’s gorgeous, and would work nicely with whatever route you take through the anchorage area.

Also, if anyone finds a free or paid PANC/PALH scenery, lemme know. The default is pretty sorely lacking.

The Seward (PAWD) area is absolutely stunning in real life, but has some pretty bad Bing data (Google is actually pretty good.) Also, the airport is totally missing from the sim. The sat photo isn’t even good enough to land on what should be either of the runways.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I thought I'd try that Juneau approach today. I plotted out a course from Portland International. When I went to punch in KJNU, nothing was found. I guess I'll set as much of the approach coordinates as possible and just hero my way down.

No, more like the VFR map. I'm only saying to reference that one since it's universal. Whatever displays are in your plane are also probably using it but I don't really know all the planes and wouldn't know what display to toy with. The VFR map is also universally zoomable and pannable.

That departure looked like garbage but this approach seemed okay?

That looked really normal and then a little birdie in my head tried to tell me that maybe Midway's runways go diagonally. Ewww.
[/quote]
That looks like a fairly normal 22L approach. Midway is an airport trench run coming from the east. Looking at the plate you line up west over the lake, and depending if you're on a more or less exciting course you either decide while turning in, or line up with the runway a bit further back but drop out of the sky at a slightly more aggressive slope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Midway's runways do go diagonally. That's an approach for O'Hare.