Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

OwlFancier posted:

You are not needed while the section of society you keep running is stopped by the government. But I think there is pretty compelling evidence that recreational service labour is something that a lot of people would like to have even if it is not strictly needed to stop them dying.

I could agree with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Dogatron posted:

The furlough scheme.

I would be embarrassed to be on that. If I looked round at life and realised that the world has not noticed my productive labour has stopped for six months.

How the gently caress is this the fault of the people on furlough? You should experiment with not posting for six months and see if anyone notices

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Dogatron posted:

Other poo poo he filled my head with stayed there a lot longer to my embarrassment when I attempted to buy the more expensive upstairs bus ticket.

lmao, that's a top tier dad lie.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
https://twitter.com/wesstreeting/status/1307737799043567620

Owen Jones managing to make the PLP bristle has been a small ray of light on an otherwise poo poo week

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dogatron posted:

My point exactly. The people who had to go to work to keep society running did so. If I was furloughed I would question my contribution to society. Am I needed?

Almost certainly not.

Fortunately only tedious cunts define themselves or derive their worth by their job. For most people it is merely a practical necessity and they find meaning in more personal pursuits than making money for someone else.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

kyojin posted:

How the gently caress is this the fault of the people on furlough? You should experiment with not posting for six months and see if anyone notices

It's no their fault. But I can't help noticing that their contribution to society is gently caress all if nobody notices their lack of labour for six months.

The government would be bringing down the full shock and awe tactics if people who did useful work decided to go on strike for six months.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

forkboy84 posted:

Fortunately only tedious cunts define themselves or derive their worth by their job. For most people it is merely a practical necessity and they find meaning in more personal pursuits than making money for someone else.

That really depends on your job and who you work for.

Please do not use the word oval office.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

StarkingBarfish posted:

https://twitter.com/wesstreeting/status/1307737799043567620

Owen Jones managing to make the PLP bristle has been a small ray of light on an otherwise poo poo week

Says a lot that for these people “polite”=“good”.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dogatron posted:

It's no their fault. But I can't help noticing that their contribution to society is gently caress all if nobody notices their lack of labour for six months.

The government would be bringing down the full shock and awe tactics if people who did useful work decided to go on strike for six months.

Again, though, people did notice, because of all the stuff that was closed, the reason it was closed is because people weren't going to work.

You could apply this line of reasoning to literally everyone other than people who are directly involved in food and water provision. Society however is a somewhat more complex thing than that.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dogatron posted:

That really depends on your job and who you work for.

Please do not use the word oval office.

Asking a Scot not to say oval office is like asking someone from the American south to not say y'all or someone who went to a public school not to stick their penis in the mouth of a dead farm animal

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Dogatron posted:

It's no their fault. But I can't help noticing that their contribution to society is gently caress all if nobody notices their lack of labour for six months..

Why should they be embarrassed? People do a job because they need to pay rent not because that's their sole ambition in life. Perhaps many of them would love to do something more meaningful but cannot afford the necessary qualifications. Perhaps the amount of essential work required to keep a society functioning is actually very small and most people could devote most of their time to leisure and recreation if it weren't for greedy cunts exploiting them. Nah it's probably the individual's own fault and they should be ashamed of the job they do

Fake edit I'm not Scottish but greedy cunts are cunts sorry

kyojin fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 20, 2020

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Dogatron posted:

The furlough scheme.

I would be embarrassed to be on that. If I looked round at life and realised that the world has not noticed my productive labour has stopped for six months.

I realise your job does not define your life, but in a capitalist society it is some what part of your life. Notice the growth of trade unions. They were powerful because of the threat to withdraw productive work.

I doubt people on furlough even noticed that their withdrawal of labour changed nothing in society. For six months. Class consciousness in the furloughed needs to be addressed but it did not go unnoticed by people still working.

What's the actual point you're trying to make?

"The world has not noticed" is an incredibly stupid concept you're assuming that productive labour value is coherent within the UK economy in TYOOL 2020, that the productive labour of any specific individual can 1. be measured and communicated by "the world" and 2, that the measurement will emerge and be accessible within 6 months. To use an obvious example when does the wider economic value of the productive labour of a pediatric social worker 'get noticed'?

And "changed nothing in society" get hosed I haven't seen a play or been to a gig or been clubbing in 6 months gently caress off that it changed nothing it sucks it's reducing my pleasure if nothing else, and we're hitting an economic crisis that potentially could hit the working class, disproportionately the young, as hard as the 2008 crash did. We all hate the current economic system, it's dogshit, that doesn't mean peoples livelihoods don't depend on it or that the work the furloughed did is fake or whatever it is you're trying to imply. Make your actual point.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Weird story, PM apparently in secret weekend trip to Italy last week. Downing Street have issued a vague denial.

https://twitter.com/antoguerrera/status/1307773779272179713

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

forkboy84 posted:

Asking a Scot not to say oval office is like asking someone from the American south to not say y'all or someone who went to a public school not to stick their penis in the mouth of a dead farm animal

Take off your skirt and say that again, you absolute cock.

I know this conversation has been done to death, but hen, make the loving effort.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
That escalated quickly.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Dogatron posted:

I know this conversation has been done to death, but hen, make the loving effort.

gently caress off oval office

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
why can't forkboy wear a skirt if he wants to

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

forkboy84 posted:

i worked for the nhs for five years and as a full time trade union steward for about a year and i enormously defined my self worth through how i applied myself in those roles. that's the danger with these absolute statements - even when i was working in the private sector i have almost always been extremely proud of my accomplishments and professionalism in my roles even if it was a practical necessity - i do not think that is an unusual statement to say?

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

mehall posted:

gently caress off oval office

Do we need to call this an intervention?

I'm detecting aggression here.

What is making you angry? Is it because you think I am a vagina? I'm trying to help.

Tell me how you are feeling and what is making you angry.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
how about we focus our vitriol where it matters, like at this absolute catastrofuck of messaging:

https://twitter.com/leftist_agenda/status/1307760939392028673

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

StarkingBarfish posted:

how about we focus our vitriol where it matters, like at this absolute catastrofuck of messaging:

https://twitter.com/leftist_agenda/status/1307760939392028673

I mean that's not a covid measure, that's an ideological budget issue. So they don't have to support that.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
:yikes:

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Dogatron posted:

Sniff my fuckin ring and gently caress off, oval office

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

CoolCab posted:

i worked for the nhs for five years and as a full time trade union steward for about a year and i enormously defined my self worth through how i applied myself in those roles. that's the danger with these absolute statements - even when i was working in the private sector i have almost always been extremely proud of my accomplishments and professionalism in my roles even if it was a practical necessity - i do not think that is an unusual statement to say?
There's a lot of tedious people out there so the statements aren't mutually exclusive.

Besides, I'm quite sure plenty people would find me tedious, poo poo is in the eye of the beholder. I've never had a job that was anything other than a miserable necessity so that absolutely colours my view on the topic.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

CoolCab posted:

Proud of ya. I carried a trade union banner and was a rep for a few years.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

CoolCab posted:

Yeah saying that taking any satisfaction or enjoyment from your employment makes you a traitor to the working class is pretty hosed. Like if you are proud of some extremely efficient extraordinary renditions that is one thing but everyone of us is working in a machine that is grinding us to dust, we are all trapped together so taking a holier than thou attitude because you hate your job is a dick move.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I mean that's not a covid measure, that's an ideological budget issue. So they don't have to support that.

They don't have to, no. If they didn't have a choice they'd not be able to gently caress it up.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Dogatron posted:

Unless we've got Have An Actual Scrap technology built into the SA forums I'd say arguing for your dumb positions is better posting than literally just calling forums user forkboy84 a girl?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pretty sure starmer would support that anyway.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

can't wait until boris announces that Keir Starmer's own leg will be sawn off on live television without anaesthetic in order to appease the gods who have sent down coronavirus and keir supports the difficult decision in these times

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

CancerCakes posted:

Yeah saying that taking any satisfaction or enjoyment from your employment makes you a traitor to the working class is pretty hosed

Ruddy good job then that's not what anyone said.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Dogatron posted:

This is well cunty tbh

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Sniff my fuckin ring and gently caress off, oval office

I'm detecting some hostility here.

Can you tell me what the problem is. I'm sure if we can talk to each other in a calm rational way we will be friends.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Kernel Monsoon posted:

Here's my gift for the thread. Should get some use out of this one.

Lmao this is amazing and I’m releasing it into the wild via twitter for the greater good, tia

E: ^^ no, gently caress off oval office

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

Pilchenstein posted:

This is well cunty tbh

Yeah, you are right, and I can only say sorry. Should not have typed those words.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Dogatron posted:

I'm detecting some hostility here.

Can you tell me what the problem is. I'm sure if we can talk to each other in a calm rational way we will be friends.

From my end the problem was you were making some quite maximalist sociopolitical arguments and despite being in a discussion forum weren't addressing the responses to them. You have posted some other wierd poo poo since then though tbh.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

Sanitary Naptime posted:

E: ^^ no, gently caress off oval office

I'm trying to be reasonable here. I hate confrontation.

Could you explain the problem you have with the words I typed on my computer?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like I agree that a lot of work isn't strictly necessary and we absolutely could find ways to save a lot of labour but I don't think people who do unnecessary work because the market has decided that it is necessary enough to pay them for doing it and if they don't do it they will starve, should feel bad about that, or that people should be ashmed for being on furlough, and the entire reason I think labour should be saved is so that more people can spend more time doing poo poo that isn't strictly necessary. Doing unnecessary things is the point of being alive.

And throwing shade at people for being in that position is going to annoy them? Also I don't get what the deal is with the weird conflict resolution speak.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Dogatron posted:

There are all sort of studies about facecoverings you could find either for or against.

I'm inclined now to see coronovirus as commensal. The odds of a vaccine soon are rapidly going out of the window. If you are that risk averse and have a nice middle class job when you can work from home and worry and fret every time you open your front door, deal with it.

The rest of society has kept on keeping on looking after you. Provided your refuse collection, electricity, security, health care, gas, water and food. They took the risk and are still doing the same thing.

Bodies are not being stacked up in the street.

Protect and shield the elderly by all means, but the worried middle class moaning and whining about masks and social distancing are starting to piss me off. It really has a strong smell of classism.

I'm sure middle class people were much the same when typhoid was rampant.

I just keep trying to go back to this point and figure out what the hell your actual point is so I can try to engage with it. are you saying middle class people should not be concerned about safety? are you saying working class people are not taking precautions against coronavirus or that their exposure to risk means everyone else should be exposed or not care or? what are your proposals or opinions about what needs to happen or does not need to happen or? i just, i don't understand. who is benefiting in the commensal. does there being ≥1 study for and ≥1 study against facemasks mean it's fine to not wear one. what are the implications if we apply this to all of science, have you thought that through. commensal? i looked up what that word means and a fair few people are not in fact doing either of "gaining benefits" or "neither benefit nor are harmed" as a result of the coronavirus. what is this post. what are its secrets. what is it trying to tell us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Vitamin P posted:

Unless we've got Have An Actual Scrap technology built into the SA forums I'd say arguing for your dumb positions is better posting than literally just calling forums user forkboy84 a girl?

I think Dogatron was making the evergreen "kilts are skirts" joke.