Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Bumble He posted:

especially antigrav stuff would make 90% of what we spend our time with irrelevant. also “atmospheric flight“
(yeah i calculated that and it exactly 90%)

Yea. Wings? Why bother. Wheels? Why? Roads - what's the point? Cranes? Trains? Chairs? Cars? Why have any of these things? Literally strap an antigrav generator to my butt and you can have all of those in one.

UnknownTarget fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Escuse me, but every game developer knows that you first need a persistent database, then you need a solid anti-shmeg concept. This is followed by a very thick layer of OCS, by OF COURSE (I mean, did you even pay attention?) by another layer of SSOCS on the side of the developer. These layers have to settle a bit, they need to "mature" if you want to call it that.

Once they settled, you CLEARLY (did you even listen?) need some kind of iCache because the persistant database which gets desmegged might get resmegged by a dirty SSOCCS cache. So you need a clean iCache. This is basic software development, really. Once you now have a clear iCache downstream which removes the dirt from the ugly SSOCS, you can think about draining them all into a big sink, where all of the players can live in, and enjoy the verse.

It's not that hard to understand, seriously.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
All that is true, but you're forgetting one key part. It needs to be dynamic.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
They really really shouldn't have hired a single artist while core engine features like "SSOCS" aren't complete.

This project is being made backwards which requires each piece to be remade over and over and over. You couldn't waste more money if you tried.

...what if this is all some elaborate game of Brewster's Millions??

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

I think you guys, (and most SC backers who perpetuate the "lul they dont want it to be released because ship sales are their income") dont really understand just how important SQ42 is, not only for CIG but also for the future of the PU.
I will show you guys some examples, that you can compare with the "measely" 300mil that has been raised so far through subscriptions and ship sales. THEN you will understand why SQ42 dwarfs ALL that.

GTA5 sold 135 million copies and earned about $6 billion in worldwide revenue.
Ghost of Tsushima sold 2.4 million copies IN THE FIRST THREE DAYS.
2.4 million x 40 dollars = 96 million dollars in 3 days.
CD Projekt Red has made around 250 million dollars in total from the Witcher 3 revenue.

Now do you understand?
Squadron 42 Chapter 1, on its own as a single game, could earn as much money as CIG has already raised DURING EIGHT YEARS, in just the first month (or lets be conservative and say first year) that SQ42 releases.
THIS is why it is such a priority, even if you only care about the PU.
Because SQ42 can literally secure funding for the next half decade for CIG.

We're talking big money, far more than 300 million over 8 years.
CIG doesnt "have" 300 million in the bank today. They've spent it on salaries and development (and PR).
That number doesnt actually represent money that "exists".
So earning 250 million or even just 100 million from SQ42's release would be a huge boon to the entire project.

People who say they intentionally delay the release to keep ship sales going, are immature native people who dont actually comprehend the scales of profit we're talking about regarding FINISHED released AAA games (or movies).
The money CIG has the potential to earn through SQ42 completely dwarfs anything they've raised so far.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's a forgone conclusion that SQ42 will sell as well as the best selling games of all time. Nevermind that most people interested in a generic CoD: Infinity War game have already bought it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Squadron 42 Chapter 1, on its own as a single game, could earn as much money as CIG has already raised DURING EIGHT YEARS, in just the first month

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Mirificus posted:

earn as much money as CIG has already raised DURING EIGHT YEARS, in just the first month (or lets be conservative and say first year)

:hmmyes:

Glad you are being conservative, and not just running away with it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I've just some quick maths and I am 100% sure that by the time sq42 chapter 2 and 3 release there will be a worldwide money shortage as so many people buy it, we may have to start populating the moon and have off world iron mining facilities to increase the overall GDP of the combined moon and Earth to keep up with demand for money to buy sq42

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I think sales of SQ42 should be rather compared to sales of Duke Nukem Forever.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Dwesa posted:

They are chilling with SQ56, 99 other star systems, 100k person servers, Theatres of War, MISC Endeavor, Banu Merchantman and other friends.

Don't worry honey. They're on a secret dev build in a server farm way out in the countryside. They're having lots of fun together, I promise. We may be able to bring them live after another couple of releases, but let's worry about that later. Would you like a new concept sale to take your mind off things? Yeah, let's have a concept sale. :unsmith:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Quavers posted:

Astropub, Noobifier, and HCVertigo put targets on their backs by talking about CIG's fuckups for two hours :blastu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l77x5RV-7sI

:tif:

"Freelancer, that game draged on and then they just basically took it away from him. Now that can not happen."

:laffo:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Dwesa posted:

I think sales of SQ42 should be rather compared to sales of Duke Nukem Forever.

This got me wondering when preorders for Duke Nukem were available and lmao

No way the backers for Star Citizen are getting free swag though.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/N6w3npn.gifv

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r0w4wVHY9w

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The name is dumb. You cure life? That's a regular gun.

In their defense, if you want to cure life, a gun is a pretty solid option.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

quote:

what you dont understand is almost every aspect of SC is icebreaking. if it were another game the bartender would do the same action every single time and it would be faked to save the company from having to simulate the entire life of that bartender.
another game company wouldnt even consider the next shift of bartender or how a bartender reacts to what you do aside from a set few interactions.
you are comparing the difficulty of making a grilled cheese to a 5 course meal & a profession chef making the grilled cheese while the other is making these meals for the very first time ever.
what other company is making icash, socks, & quanta? which is making all three at once?

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

Can you reasonably assume that whatever Squadron 42 ends up being, it will play on-par with how the PU is today?
Yes? Then that's a 6/10 game at most boyo.
No? Then why doesn't the PU play like the magical 10/10 Squadron 42 build that's gonna blow everyone's SSOCS off? I thought they shared the same tech.

What's that thing they say again?

Oh right.......checkmate cultists

Look at me all proud of waging a hypothetical internet debate on a dead gay comedy forum against a person probably so delusional they think EA has paid all the "Game Journos" to besmirch CR's name

EDIT: I think I mentioned this before but I forgot. Even Resetera has turned to filthy fudsters calling the game a scam, and Resetera used to have cultist mods who absolutely would ban you for spreading FUD under the tag of "drive by shitposting".

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Too lazy to edit the prev post........but, does anyone have record of anyone (on youtube, twitch, ........a blog ;) ) saying "they're delaying release of Squadron to keep ship sales going"

Is this another one of those bad-faith deflection...strawman .......things these guys do nowadays ?
What I personally have heard (and again correct me if you heard more) is :" They're dumping most their money and manpower on an engine that can render shiny pixels .....and marketing. Squadron keeps getting delayed because well..... most of their money and manpower is going into eyecandy , and a full, gold release game that's playable on release kinda needs..... well........ a game"

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Meanwhile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_8v5VZM-rg

Everspace 2 deserves so many views. They are doing the Freelancer 2 I want, not that poo poo show that CIG is running

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Star Citizen: making icash, socks, & quanta

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

lol this hypocrite banned me for less aggressive fud.

peter gabriel posted:

quote:

I have my magnifier out but still cannot see:

Fun

:vince:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://twitter.com/BakerMikeRomeo/status/1307335747092049920

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

That is dumb.

It looks dumb.

The name is dumb. You cure life? That's a regular gun.

Whatever the bottles are, they arent the same. No i dont care if they have two different compounds its dumb all the same.

The front of the gun makes no sense.

The frame-thats-actually-a-trigger-guard is exceptionally dumb. Nobody will ever have gloves thick enough to warrant that poo poo. In no way, shape, or form does that thing generate enough recoil as to need a second spot to grip/brace. And no, i dont care to know what the button is under the trigger. If its a safety device its double dumb.

Why does it have a flanged side? Why is it so dumb?

Whatever the magazine thing is on the right doesnt fit onto any part of the pistol. Theres nothing that conforms to that shape or the dimensions thereof.

This little spiel had me giggling harder than I have in a while. “Why is it so dumb?” is a question for the ages.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Quick nurse, he needs 200cc of 9mm, STAT!

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
BANG

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
A maverick has appeared...

Article on PC Gamer, back on November 1997. Good for a few laughs. Also the Crobbl-portrait.

quote:

"...we settled with Microsoft on the PC side because they seem to have the most patience, and they have long term goals that fit with what we're doing".
"Right now, I don't think there's anyone in the building who hasn't had more than five years experience developing computer games," he says, "and that's quite a different experience than what we had at Origin where we hired people straight out of school and they had to be trained and once they were trained they went somewhere else. At times, it felt like Origin had become a placement agency for the rest of the industry."

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Same energy

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Here we see a surgical team operating on a sedated commander.

A healing round passes through the skin’s surface, which scrubs off some of its healing energy....

Edit: Each organ, vein, and testicle will be modeled in real time to double floating point precision.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 20, 2020

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Lammasu posted:

So is quantum fuel as stupid as I think it is? It's a liquid fuel that powers the FTL drive and is separate from the fuel that powers the rest of the ship? Like what exactly is it and where does it come from? Why does the FTL need a different fuel? That's like having a fighter jet that has a different type of fuel for Mach speeds.

Quantum fuel is a special fuel that can be made from quanta NPCs, and I think you know what that means!

STIMPIRE IS IN FUCKERS!

Wait no it means the game is still poo poo.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Lammasu posted:

So is quantum fuel as stupid as I think it is? It's a liquid fuel that powers the FTL drive and is separate from the fuel that powers the rest of the ship? Like what exactly is it and where does it come from? Why does the FTL need a different fuel? That's like having a fighter jet that has a different type of fuel for Mach speeds.

If you get this worked up over quantum fuel, I hope you never find about about the gravity goo system. :)

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

AbstractNapper posted:

A maverick has appeared...

Article on PC Gamer, back on November 1997. Good for a few laughs. Also the Crobbl-portrait.

Oh my god this is gold! I highly recommend people read it all. I wonder how this bold experiment in development without time limits went?

quote:

Roberts says that proving the game concept and technology allows them to avoid potentially costly mistakes. "A lot of times, you'll hear of software projects that have gone on for two or three years and racked up a cost of six or seven million dollars, and it comes to the point where a company simply has to release the game in order to make some of their investment back."

:allears:

L. Ron Hoover fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 21, 2020

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

happyhippy posted:

Here we see a surgical team operating on a sedated commander.

A healing round passes through the skin’s surface, which scrubs off some of its healing energy....

Edit: Each organ, vein, and testicle will be modeled in real time to double floating point precision.

CI!G promised real fidelity, not arcade shenanigans like surgeon simulator.

Each individual cell and molecule will be simulated in real-time, including protein folding.

In short, as soon as the folding@home project is complete then development will accelerate exponentially.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

The Titanic posted:

If you get this worked up over quantum fuel, I hope you never find about about the gravity goo system. :)

Wait, what?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

When I think of doctors and my hospital adventures, I always wonder why nobody just pulls out a gun and shoots me.

Nothing says "made by men" quite like everything being a gun.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

tuo posted:

Escuse me, but every game developer knows that you first need a persistent database, then you need a solid anti-shmeg concept. This is followed by a very thick layer of OCS, by OF COURSE (I mean, did you even pay attention?) by another layer of SSOCS on the side of the developer. These layers have to settle a bit, they need to "mature" if you want to call it that.

Once they settled, you CLEARLY (did you even listen?) need some kind of iCache because the persistant database which gets desmegged might get resmegged by a dirty SSOCCS cache. So you need a clean iCache. This is basic software development, really. Once you now have a clear iCache downstream which removes the dirt from the ugly SSOCS, you can think about draining them all into a big sink, where all of the players can live in, and enjoy the verse.

It's not that hard to understand, seriously.

Spoken like a true CTO of a very big company! :allears:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Lammasu posted:

Wait, what?

Enjoy:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/14287-LORE-BUILDER-TWENTY-ONE-ARTIFICIAL-GRAVITY

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Once you know they harnessed the power of gravity, you should immediately wonder why they didn't weaponize such an awesome power, and really flinging bits of super gravity at ships would probably be a super fun gameplay aspect, like little mini black holes or something.

But I mean this is a CR game, so you're stuck with bullets and I guess lasers while stuff like their magic gravity just goes through all your pipes or something.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
That's pretty much a culmination of their lovely lore, how they don't give a drat about any of it, and it's just WW2 in space where advanced technology really is meaningless in your rag tag space rebel super game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
The only important lore is the fact that every celebration in the Galaxy results in space ship sales.