Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

this just better not devolve into sex because she looks really close to how Mookie draws those nymphs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
gently caress, I hope this is just an unavoidable consequence of him only being able to draw one face. If this whole sidequest was an illusion created by the inkwich in the mindscape, that would be pretty funny too. I want to see how far backwards Mookie can make a single strip move the comic.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Little Death posted:

this just better not devolve into sex because she looks really close to how Mookie draws those nymphs.

I think that's just how he draws naked women.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
She also has the same lazy brush hair

really the only difference is her gross skin texture? what is that?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I still don't understand why every single character is just fine with wandering around fully nude

Except briefly that one time where snouts pants went missing in mongreltown??

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Looks like she's tearing it in half and then just holding it normally so I think she might be trying to read it but is 'Frankenstein'ing the hell out of it, how read book????

Also panel one you can see all those lines on her have texture and are like big skin wrinkles. Is that new or did I only just notice the 3Dness of them?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Really starting to come around on the "Ink Witch isn't an abuser, THIS is an abuser" theory

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Miss posted:

I still don't understand why every single character is just fine with wandering around fully nude

Except briefly that one time where snouts pants went missing in mongreltown??

So Mookie doesn't have to stop punching the clown while drawing. Try to keep up.

EthanSteele posted:

Looks like she's tearing it in half and then just holding it normally so I think she might be trying to read it but is 'Frankenstein'ing the hell out of it, how read book????

Also panel one you can see all those lines on her have texture and are like big skin wrinkles. Is that new or did I only just notice the 3Dness of them?
That's possible, but deeply dumb, so is probably correct. If she was trying to read it, why did Mookie choose to have her ripping it the panel before?

You're right. What are those lines? Does she have mutton chops? That's how he draws Snout's arm hair. Is it shadows, or dirt? We'll never know, since it disappears in the next panel. Does she have two staples holding a severed face over her skull, or are those just two strands of stringy hair? :iiam:

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 21, 2020

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Captain Oblivious posted:

Really starting to come around on the "Ink Witch isn't an abuser, THIS is an abuser" theory

yeeeahhh, I think that might actually be the case here.

Also

Invisible Clergy posted:

So Mookie doesn't have to stop punching the clown while drawing. Try to keep up.

I keep thinking about the fact that canonically this lady is like a dead lady made of other ladies (?maybe?) and thinking of what we know of Mookie's paraphilias and it just makes my skin crawl a little bit.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

The Little Death posted:

Also

I keep thinking about the fact that canonically this lady is like a dead lady made of other ladies (?maybe?) and thinking of what we know of Mookie's paraphilias and it just makes my skin crawl a little bit.

Don't talk about your skin crawling where Mookie can hear it :fap:

How funny is it that Mookie's art is so bad we can't tell if a woman is a stitched-together abomination made from leftover girl meat or not?

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
He's done a good job of setting up a situation where I don't really know the stakes, the conflict, the long-term meaning or implications, the reason why it's happening, and also don't care about getting an answer to any of those mysteries either. Incredible storytelling. I look forward to more random things happening without explanation and with no greater context or consequences.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

TheHan posted:

She also has the same lazy brush hair

really the only difference is her gross skin texture? what is that?

I've been seeing it as body hair this whole time and can't bend my brain into it being anything but.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

my eyes glazed over most of the cabin Lore Journals what, exactly, is this woman's deal. Weird necromancy revival attempt?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

The Little Death posted:

It's a pity that Mookie doesn't realize one individual being a worse abuser doesn't change the fact that the Ink Witch is still also an abuser.

If anything, it makes her even worse because the message becomes "It's better to stick with the abuser you know because you might wind up with someone worse!" :barf:

VVV LOL

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 21, 2020

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
This isn't even abusive, this is just an insane Frankenstein's monster going on a wild rampage. Mookie really isn't that petty he'd completely change the story of his comic based on a few comments, right??

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

rannum posted:

my eyes glazed over most of the cabin Lore Journals what, exactly, is this woman's deal. Weird necromancy revival attempt?

It seemed to imply that the vine-covered dude tried to transfer his friend's conciousness to a female boyd to be his new companion. But I think paperskin guy was the mongrel folk, and he was apparently still there in some way so unclear what she is, or how the body was made.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Arms, legs, face, stomach: skin too baggy, wrinkles like a loose hoodie.

Boobs: perfect (and badly drawn) condition.

Invisible Clergy posted:

That's possible, but deeply dumb, so is probably correct. If she was trying to read it, why did Mookie choose to have her ripping it the panel before?

I think she was just gripping it weird as she tried to figure out how to make book work on her way to holding it normally in the final panel and it's all a big misunderstanding. Or Mookie is even worse than I thought and the book getting destroyed means he's gotta go find the inkwitch to get it fill it in again with wordmagic because his perfect recall isn't going to the job for some reason.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Here's the story arc that makes the story arc make sense
Snout is Dominic Deegan
This explains:
-why he's obsessed with Dominic Deegan
-why he loves always having his hog out
-why he's such an awkward weirdo loser with no friends
-why he just magically overcomes all obstacles for no reason

Here is my textual analysis of why this is true:
-snout is Mookie
-mookie is Deegan

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

i love a protagonist with no agency :allears:

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Miss posted:

Here's the story arc that makes the story arc make sense
Snout is Dominic Deegan
This explains:
-why he's obsessed with Dominic Deegan
-why he loves always having his hog out
-why he's such an awkward weirdo loser with no friends
-why he just magically overcomes all obstacles for no reason

Here is my textual analysis of why this is true:
-snout is Mookie
-mookie is Deegan

Plausible theory. I wonder if Dominic paid an alterist to make him look like a mongrelfolk, reincarnated his soul into a mongfrelfolk body when he died naturally of old age, or simply morphed into a mongrelfolk by casting gently caress You See the Truth.

If we're pretending the story has a plot, I'd say Snout is descended from one of the 7 dragon balls extracted from Luna's gooch and disseminated to infertile couples across Barthis, and that's how he's technically also a Deegan, by being a blood relative of Luna, since Dominic fathered no biological children.

He will learn that Dominic, when he was like, 120 years old, wandered into Eldariat to die and merged into the earth to mingle his life force with it and somehow made a mountain kind of look like him giving a douchey smirk. The comic will end on Mt. Deegan arranging dust into a lovely pun.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
If Snout is Dominic, it’d have to be in a way that’s morallly reprehensible but that Mookie doesn’t acknowledge. So I bet it’d be Dominic planning a 200+ year gambit, planting subliminal orders into Snout that force him to investigate Dominic’s legacy for no reason, and all the instances of Snout doing dumb poo poo for was really Dominic “guiding” him to gather the pieces he needed.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The Dread Lich Dom’inick Deegan

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Miss posted:

I'm just staggered at the words he thinks need censoring vs the ones that do not

Reminds me of the time I saw Blazing Saddles on a local station back in the 90s. There was censorship, but absolutely not for what you'd think.

they cut out the farting scene and nothing else

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Devoid of context, I like this page.

I find this woman's rampaging charming.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

TheHan posted:

Time for some new poison:

Lmao what could've compelled this woman to go right for Snout's diary, every villain just immediately knows how to hurt him.

Regalingualius posted:

And double-posting, but... I can’t help but feel like this tweet is pretty relevant to DD as a whole

https://twitter.com/ospyoutube/status/1307503811620147201?s=21

The diary is his only character trait. His friends love him for it, his enemies hate him for it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It wasn't until the discussion that I realized that DD arc has a poo poo tone of homophobic slurs but not a single actual gay character.

The real victims of homophobia are the straight people who get mistaken for gay.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

There is the pair of teammates who literally peace out, but... that’s not really any better (plus it’s ambiguous if they’re really gay, or if they’re only acting like that because of Greg’s magic and Mookie thinking “haha but THEY’RE the gays” made for an acceptable punchline).

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Maxwell Lord posted:

It wasn't until the discussion that I realized that DD arc has a poo poo tone of homophobic slurs but not a single actual gay character.

The real victims of homophobia are the straight people who get mistaken for gay.

i... only just realised that reading your post

also now that i'm not on mobile i can see that today's update doesn't have a lady with a wonderful amount of body hair, those are meant to be scars. what a disappointment.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I think my 'favorite' thing about Mookie is that he legit seems to lack a theory of mind.
Like a lot of Legacy, and this strip perhaps more than any other he's quite possibly ever done. These only 'work' or even *begin* to sort of 'make sense' if you are Mookie. You literally need to be able to know the author's intent in order to understand anything. The lack of dialogue and stuff just makes it extra difficult to parse anything.

Like the only way Mookie can possibly believe an audience genuinely understands, let alone enjoys, pages like today's is if he also lacks a theory of mind and genuinely thinks they have access to the same information as him and know and understand what his intent and thoughts were/are.

I mean I know Mookie has obviously arrested development but this isn't something about him being stuck in high school. Theory of mind is something you get at, what, like 7? This is loving second grade.

EDIT: I thought it was hair. Either Mookie's 'shadows' have gotten even more poorly drawn and he doesn't even care about 'coloring in the lines' so to speak, or she at least has hair armpits.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

One of the things I've noticed about Dominic Deegan, is that it really depended on the web comic serialized format to keep its pacing. The storm of souls arc felt like it was a long running narrative at the culmination when I was reading it as a kid , but rereading it now it feels incredibly rushed.

The other thing I'll say here is I don't know if anyone here watched supernatural when they were growing up, but I did, mostly because Jensen Ackles was so pretty. I was never into any fandoms as a teen, so I only discovered all the horrible fan components much later as an adult. But the important thing is I stopped watching around season six. Because season five had a story arc dealing with the brothers preventing the apocalypse. It was the natural climax of the story, and everything afterwards felt dumb and low stakes in comparison. Yet somehow the show was to continue for another decade. Dominic Deegan has the same problem. Storm of Souls ended in June 2005 and the comic would continue until May 2013, despite the highest stakes really having occured during storm of souls. SoS features a linking and wrap up of essentially everyhting in the comic so far, including Brett Taggerty, and every event or place that follows in some war relates to SoS or chains off of it in some way.

This is also the only time Dominic faces any sort of real permanent loss, except for the War in Hell, but that one doesn't really count for reasons we'll get to then.

So without further ado:

Chapter 12: The Storm of Souls Part 1

We start for once not with a vision from dominic, but with two foreboding omens, Jacob's Frankenstein soouthsayer and Dirk the mighty both suffer extreme pain from no visible source

Oh wait, there's the vision.

Mookie is inordinatly proud of his depiction of chaos. It's mostly ok, really reminiscent of the far realms from DND, but not the worst.

Dominic then proceeds to contradict himself with his extremly awkward autodidacting. I don't need to watch Dominic figure out ever step of what he looking at. Just get to the drat point.

Oh it's Jacob

okay here's where I'll say that I really like Rillian, the skeleton dude who just hosed up Dominic, who is canonically the first necromancer to exist, and inventor of the school. he is obviously derivative of other Lich characters from other stories but as will see a little later in this part of SoS, Mookie decided to conceptualize him as a neutral dispassionate sort of figure, one who has great respect from characters like Miranda. He studies a necessary but dark and misunderstood type of magic. it works for me. It also makes Dominic fallible because his impressions of necromancy are based on a personal biasand not actually a true understanding of the magic school.

Here's where we get the title hook

OK this one is suitably freaky. I actually like the evil imp faces. They're simple but they sort of do a good job of conveying what the storm of souls is.

This is one of those overwrought melodrama things that Mookie loves to do. it's an implied suffering that we don't really see occur. Dominic was obviously upset but the fact that it lasted for seven days is sort of meaningless to us other than to multiply the pathos up. I just don't like it I don't like that it occurs, when we're not really privy to why this upsets him so much, since it doesn't seem like he experience 7 days of torture.

of course this wouldn't be DD, without Luna instantly returning to form and making the situation all about her insecurities.

Again this is where it stops being emotional damage and just becomes desperate neediness.

I don't even know what to say to this. It's again implying a long-standing tradition of Dominic being the emotional bulwark for Luna, which given how they met continues to be gross. But mom and dad are in the picture now.

Oh and look so are Jayden and Milov

so then we realize why the time Skip happened, So that all the pieces would be in place to immediately get the story started. They are back in Quiral, where the Infernomancer attacked Miranda's school. The first time I read this I didn't realize when that actually happened, so I was super confused.

I love Donovan's face in panel 4

of course Miranda knows everything about the storm so there is no mystery as to what it is.

Again, props here to Mookie for coming up with not a terrible idea for a fantasy villain. I actually love the idea of a death cult that shunts the souls of its believers into some sort of afterlife bomb. Especially if you imply that maybe they been doing this for hundreds of years or even thousands of years which Mookie does.

🎵 Repeating what we just learned, Out of place joke.🎵

At least Dominic realizes what he said was terrible. Again this moment sort of works for me if maybe the only time that Dominic gets called on being an rear end in a top hat. kudos to Mookie for an actually good character
moment.

I also really love this, I love the fact that Dominic's arch mage mother still punishes him like a little boy with her magic. This is something I would steal for a better story.

despite how terrible she will become as well this strip really makes me like Miranda. She's definitely a better person than her son is.

All in all, not a bad start. Again I'll say I think the storm of souls is probably the best movie has ever written, and he has never really even approached it again you can see inklings of good ideas and actual story beats already even if the setup is again quite rushed. But in his defence when this was updating daily the story itself was much more drawn out from the audience's perspective, so it makes sense to keep the pace up. This is not what he would do for later arcs like the March across Maltak in particular. So just keep in mind that this is probably the zenith of his writing and that it will get noticeably worse after this as time goes on.

There wasn't even any gross fetish stuff or misogyny in this chapter so I don't have much else to say.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 22, 2020

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

So what does the ever-changing chaos of limbo look like, Mookie?
"Corn."
Got it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

it looks like what you see when you press your eyeballs. Hell there's worse places to take inspiration from.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
It looks a lot like some of the psychedelic mindscapes and astral whatsits you'd get in old Doctor Strange and I assume sometimes in newer ones although I'm more familiar with Strange's stuff from the 60s.

It's fine. It's definitely leagues better than the extraplanar locales we'll see later in the comic. And yeah, I think the creepy faces are a neat little touch.

What I don't like is how - I assume it's the lack of shading/detail - the stark black and white on black clothing Mookie is using here makes it look like everyone is wearing fetish gear. Like I assume Donnie isn't wearing latex clothing, but the stark contrast kind of makes it look like he is; and in fact is I'm pretty sure the same style Mookie uses earlier and later in Erossus and among Demon babes and poo poo for what *is* mean to be like shiny leather/latex.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
The last two arcs were so vile and this one's just going "Huh? I've never heard of them" like Mookie made them in some kind of fever dream where his Id took the wheel. Otherwise there's that same sense of "Hey this isn't bad" like when Jacob got introduced, so I can only assume this is Mookie's favorite part of the story and it got the most thought put into it.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Ah yes, of course, when he's upset "he says things he doesn't mean" of course, yes, this is definitely how it works and not big abuser talk.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

:wow:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

EthanSteele posted:

Ah yes, of course, when he's upset "he says things he doesn't mean" of course, yes, this is definitely how it works and not big abuser talk.

Right? That was nagging at me too: Dominic finally says something that’s apparently considered 100% unconscionable even by the narrative, and... his mother just takes it in stride and only gently punishes him, even when it would have been completely understandable for her to flip out right back at him. It might have still worked as-is if there had been prior hints that he had basically been spoiled rotten by his parents growing up and this was the first time she finally put her foot down, but with what we have, it reads as her making excuses for his abusive behavior.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I bring bad news from the Dominic Deegan uploads folder.

Not only is it loving weird to draw out this long, naked wrestle between Snout and the corpse bride, but she's crying in the last panel so this is another broken anime waifu to add on to the pile. Is this...all he knows?

TheHan fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

:stonk: