Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah it seems in universe nobody minds if they murder criminals, just not bystanders.

At this point even worrying about bystanders wouldn't be realistic. We've lost 200k to COVID and they're mocking Biden for mistakenly saying 200 million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

seaborgium posted:

I was thinking one of the original test subjects in the camps that they somehow managed to brainwash or something like that, but that seems weird and off.

I hope not.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

My theory is that she was given the 1.0 version of V and it gives you next level powers and longer life (and maybe you develop new powers as you age?)

Maybe Vought figured out that really really powerful supes were too hard to control, and that "weaker" supes would still make them just as much money, so they switched to dosing babies with a weaker V 2.0.

And after the Nazi founder of Vought died, the scientists who took over for him started messing around with the more powerful 1.0 version, making Homelander, before realizing that it was a bad idea.

(If true it means Homelander could live for a very long time and get even more powers which would be even more terrifying.)

Edgar saying "We're not a superhero company. We're a pharmaceutical company." makes me think that the supes are just lab rats and someone somewhere is/was supposed to benefit from some V infusion. So older V being stronger doesn't really make sense. They'll be trying to improve on the formula.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

GD_American posted:

At this point even worrying about bystanders wouldn't be realistic. We've lost 200k to COVID and they're mocking Biden for mistakenly saying 200 million.

Meanwhile Trump has spent 6 months talking about the horrible flu pandemic of 1917.

Edit: Got legit confused when I saw my post was in the Boys thread, I thought I was in the Trump lols. lol

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

alexandriao posted:

didn't see the probe warning, sorry

All good!

The rule likely isn't permanent, especially if that plot point becomes a much bigger part of the show and has more relevance in discussion. I've only implemented it for now to keep things civil and stop the derails and arguing.

Personally, I'm waiting for S2 to end before I start The Boys, so I'd appreciate it if someone spoils that for me/gives me a heads up if the whole 'Stormfront is/isn't a Nazi!' thing becomes super pivotal to the story before the season ends. At that point I'll fully lift the rule and we can proceed from there.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

itry posted:

I hope not.

Edgar saying "We're not a superhero company. We're a pharmaceutical company." makes me think that the supes are just lab rats and someone somewhere is/was supposed to benefit from some V infusion. So older V being stronger doesn't really make sense. They'll be trying to improve on the formula.

Vought was the only, jealous genius that founded the company, after he died they came up with something not as good as what he was working on (except for HL). Isn't it literally the plot to Captain America? They can't make other super soldiers like him cause the guy who made him died and no one was able to replicate the results?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The theory that I just developed (and may already be contradicted by evidence idk) is that Stormfront just has Liberty's old skillset and the lightning is just cosmetic Vought movie magic.

Edit: no wait, she legit lightining'd some dudes in the apartment building right?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Edit: no wait, she legit lightining'd some dudes in the apartment building right?

Yeah that's how she murders the black family.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The theory that I just developed (and may already be contradicted by evidence idk) is that Stormfront just has Liberty's old skillset and the lightning is just cosmetic Vought movie magic.

I guess you missed that part?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

etalian posted:

I guess you missed that part?

I was taking a big hot take swing it didn't go well

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Defiance Industries posted:

It's a Zack Snyder movie, killing is the best and coolest thing a person can do. It's how you know who the heroes are in his movies FOR ADULTS.

That's kind of a weird take. If anything, his Superman is much less of a terrible person than the Superman from the Reeves series. Compare how Superman kills Zod or how Superman treats Lois in either series.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Don't you loving start that here.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

itry posted:

I don't know about that.

I don't doubt for a second that if some giant corporation discovered a drug that immediately cures all cancer they'd keep that poo poo to themselves. A version that just keeps you alive, and needing it constantly, is much more lucrative.

So it makes sense that the original, more potent, serum would be kept away. And a weaker version would be what was sold.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Romes128 posted:

thank zack snyder for showing the world how much of an rear end in a top hat Superman really is.

The Batman: White Knight arc had a really interesting subtext where it was revealed that the uber-rich people in Gotham (and elsewhere) knew Bruce Wayne was Batman but didn't say anything because they were making billions rebuilding Gotham after he disproportionately hosed up the :airquote: economically-challenged :airquote: parts of the city, and made sure Wayne Enterprises always got lucrative contracts so they could frame him if they ever needed to.

But yeah, that was the best part of Man of Steel and Batman v. Superman. Batfleck had EVERY RIGHT to be loving suspect and hateful of Superman.

Defiance Industries posted:

Yeah that's how she murders the black family.

She also sizzles Kimiko's brother to take the fight out of him before busting his wrists and then his neck. So it's either a legit superpower...or part of her suit.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

At one of the press conferences she floats up with lightning coming out her hands then flies away. It's her power.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I've been rereading the comic since its on humble bundle and I miss how in the show they dont do the ridiculous superhero origin and adventure stuff.

Its a lie they're going on holiday for a convention/orgy

while excising that adds 1% realism to the shows setting totally ignoring the sillier side of superheroes is a loss I think.

babypolis posted:

Seems weird to me that they have almost completely ignored Lamplighter so far. He doesnt even get mentioned in Dawn of the Seven! You think the writers forgot about him, or just saving him for another season?

Spoiler from season 1 deleted scenes Stillwell at one point threatens A-train with 'you don't want to end up like lamplighter do you?' so its implied whatever happened to him Vought did it

massive spider fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 21, 2020

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

massive spider posted:

Spoiler from season 1 deleted scenes Stillwell at one point threatens A-train with 'you don't want to end up like lamplighter do you?' so its implied whatever happened to him Vought did it

I always assumed that whatever he did to Mallory's grandkids was too much too far so they had him "retire".

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

esperterra posted:

All good!

The rule likely isn't permanent, especially if that plot point becomes a much bigger part of the show and has more relevance in discussion. I've only implemented it for now to keep things civil and stop the derails and arguing.

Personally, I'm waiting for S2 to end before I start The Boys, so I'd appreciate it if someone spoils that for me/gives me a heads up if the whole 'Stormfront is/isn't a Nazi!' thing becomes super pivotal to the story before the season ends. At that point I'll fully lift the rule and we can proceed from there.

Why don't you probe bioshuffle if their posting is causing so many problems, instead of threatening to probe those responding to them?

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

jabby posted:

Homelander is the result of injecting V into a developing fetus, which is why he's the strongest and most powerful hero bar none.

In the comics, that fetus was also created using Stormfront's DNA, and that's why HL is also significantly more powerful than the rest of the supes. (except BN)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The scene of Liberty killing the black guy is deliberately shot so you can't in the moment tell it's Stormfront's lightning power, but the injuries across his face are extremely 'jagged bolt of lightning'.

e: \/ I'm developing a theory that bioshuffle also isn't actually watching the show and only ever references things in trailers or things other people have already posted about

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 21, 2020

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

because bioshuffle posts 1/4th actual content and 3/4ths nazi debate rather than 1/1 nazi debate, and because the mod in question hasn't actually watched the show, and so can't pick up on how many of bioshuffle's posts are blatantly stirring.

bioshuffle is careful to put a "this is just my opinion tho i might be wrong" disclaimer, which could easily be misread for trying to have earnest discussion, if you didn't have the context of actually watching the show

-----

aaaanyway.

I think a lot of the stuff happening to MM and Butcher is explained by them being on a low dose of it. I wonder how much you would have to have so it's not temporary? My guess is you're waiting for cell turnover. So when you're young that's happening fast because new cells are growing (also they had the kid on a monster drip), but for adults you're looking on the order of months to years.

Interestingly enough, I googled cell turnover last month because I wanted to know what the cell turnover time for retinal cells is. As it turns out, thanks to nuclear testing we can date the body's cells via radioactivity. Cool fact from that:

quote:

fingernails grow at about 0.3 cm per month, which is about the same speed as the continental spreading in plate tectonics that increases the distance between North America and Europe

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

One thing that confuses me is Black Noir.

He gets more "light moments" than the other supes, in fact, in "light moments" he's given the same treatment as the Boys are -- that is to say, they can be brutal at points and light-hearted at other points. The supes, especially the ones that do destructive or psychologically harmful acts, do not really get that treatment.

So to me this says they're treating him like one of the Boys, at least in a narrative framing sense. He's being telegraphed as someone that they want us to back. In contrast to Homelander, or Stormfront.

But I can't figure out what for. I can't figure out how his arc is going to develop at all, given that he is at the moment just Vought's company lapdog

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

alexandriao posted:

He gets more "light moments" than the other supes, in fact, in "light moments" he's given the same treatment as the Boys are -- that is to say, they can be brutal at points and light-hearted at other points. The supes, especially the ones that do destructive or psychologically harmful acts, do not really get that treatment.

So to me this says they're treating him like one of the Boys, at least in a narrative framing sense. He's being telegraphed as someone that they want us to back. In contrast to Homelander, or Stormfront.

But I can't figure out what for. I can't figure out how his arc is going to develop at all, given that he is at the moment just Vought's company lapdog

I kind of want Stormfront to try and antagonize him, only for him to not react and when she leaves goes back to building a ship in a bottle or something.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

alexandriao posted:

I'd guess it's to give some character and personality to the guy who doesn't talk, or communicate, or show his face. Plus it can be pretty drat funny. When he sits down next to the piano player and then just sits there as the pianist sweats... then Noir's slow turn towards him, making the pianist scurry away in fear. Then the punchline to top it off is that he's actually a good pianist himself somehow.

The thing with the stuffed animal was (for me) less haha and more incredibly tense. The show is kind of like the middle seasons of GoT where you have the feeling that pretty much anyone on screen could die at any moment (especially when Homelander is on screen). It also showed Noir's attitude towards killing all those people. He can rip a guy's head in half and a couple of minutes later be playing with a kid- a kid who was probably alone in a house full of corpses at that point...

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Him looking kinda dejected when the waiter rolls past him without letting him grab a glass of champagne was a good one.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Bioshuffle posted:

Weren't the people who were protesting at the tower mad because Homelander executed the super villain without a trial? If I recall correctly, some people were upset that Osama bin Laden didn't get a trial.

I hope this is different enough from the "Bioshuffle is Naziblind" rule, but even if it's not I feel like it needs to be said:

You have got to be the worst TV watcher in the loving world.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

alexandriao posted:

I'm feeling the same way. I like they they're hinting at greater depth, there, but what is it leading to? Anything?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I can't help but wonder if (since I'm pretty sure they're not going to use the comic book Identity) there's going to be a reveal where Black Noir is someone we've seen in the show before unmasked (or never even hinted at as a supe). But who could fit that bill?

E: or maybe they'll pull a 180 and his identity doesn't matter. Butcher smashes his face in with a sledgehammer, kills him, pulls off the mask and says "well whoever he was, he's hosed now." And they never reveal who he really is.

VVV works for me, I was going to guess Hughie's dad. He warned him he didn't have the fight in him. Now if we can get Black Noir a plate of pizza bites...

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 21, 2020

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

As Nero Danced posted:

I can't help but wonder if (since I'm pretty sure they're not going to use the comic book Identity) there's going to be a reveal where Black Noir is someone we've seen in the show before unmasked (or never even hinted at as a supe). But who could fit that bill?

i've never seen the dickless marketing guy and black noir in the same room. that's really sus.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Stormfront and Homelander loving is a pretty strong metaphor to how willing America is to embrace Nazi idealism in order to feel warm and fuzzy and safe.

Anyway that's my hot take.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Stormfront is also the name of a neo-nazi web forum that used to generate discussion/gawking threads here, so I was pretty well primed to think she was an internet nazi even before the racism started.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I always assumed that whatever he did to Mallory's grandkids was too much too far so they had him "retire".
I could have swore they had Starlight and The Deep clean his tower room as a haze when she first joined in season 1, but maybe I'm conflating comic and show knowledge.

For Lamplighter in the comic: compound V will revive supes after they've been killed, but they come back severely brain damaged. Officially Lamplighter retired, but in actuality they're keeping him in the basement like a zoo animal that babbles nonsense and shits himself constantly.

Sometime before the comics, lamplighter killed Mallory's grandkids, which was a step too far. Homelander traded Lamplighter away for a truce with the Boys. Though in the comics, The Boys all had access to higher grade compound V, so even if they couldn't take the seven in a fight directly they at least had some teeth.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah for a name that is at the top of hate group lists pretty much every year it's a surprise to me that so few people got what Stormfront was named after.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah for a name that is at the top of hate group lists pretty much every year it's a surprise to me that so few people got what Stormfront was named after.

Her lightning powers.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Romes128 posted:

i've never seen the dickless marketing guy and black noir in the same room. that's really sus.

Nah, BN has a healing factor thing going on and he's pretty goddamn tough. I don't think he'd have snapped his pecker off in an orgasmic cold snap accident (pardon the pun), or if he did, it'd probably grow back.

Although I would pay good money for a scene of those 2 marketing dudes trying to explain some new ideas for BN only to be met with a complete blank stare.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

yook posted:

I could have swore they had Starlight and The Deep clean his tower room as a haze when she first joined in season 1, but maybe I'm conflating comic and show knowledge.

Comics. It was Starlight and A-Train, who was the rapey one of the bunch.

Beef Stew
Dec 27, 2009
Yeah the Deep actually seems like an ok guy in the comics funnily enough. He's the only guy on the team not to sexually assault starlight. I actually don't think we ever once see him commit any crimes or hurt anyone.

I guess he kinda helps contribute to the gently caress up that is the 7 trying to stop 9/11, but that's on Vought for sending him, and it's not like he straight up abandons the plane like homelander does.

Beef Stew fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 21, 2020

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The Deep in the comics is basically a non-character who is only there because Aquaman was on the Justice League, which is part of the joke.

Though I do still like (comic spoilers) "That one is clearly The Deep" as a throwaway joke in the post-Vought world trying to rebrand the supes after the public has turned against them. His mental conditioning that he absolutely must wear a giant old-style diving helmet because of an ancient Atlantean curse means they can dress him up differently all they like, he's still going to stick out like a sore thumb.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I get the feeling from SF and LL conv that "the Kid" is conflicted, and this is prime Boys material.

Perhaps.

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Plus she introduced herself as being from Portland right? It's so on the nose, I was immediately like "oh so she's a nazi"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Breakfast Burrito posted:

Plus she introduced herself as being from Portland right? It's so on the nose, I was immediately like "oh so she's a nazi"

Which Portland? Certainly not the one that's been the way its been for like 3 months now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Which Portland? Certainly not the one that's been the way its been for like 3 months now.

Portland (and Oregon in general) has a long, troubling past involving white supremacists. You just rarely hear about it outside the region because its “that weird city with all the beer” usually.