Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

BraveUlysses posted:

did you do the measure and fill to exact amount removed or go through with the "proper" procedure to monitor the trans temp and let the excess flow out?

i was already planning to buy this https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-differential-service-tool-cta-1028 for the VAQ differential flush, and i think that with the adapter you linked, it should be able to work for the dsg as well

I probably should, but don't. I 'sorta' do the "proper" procedure. I just don't always monitor the temp (I do have an OBD11, but I sometimes foget it in the other car). In the summertime, I just run it for maybe 10mins, maybe double for winter (I'm in California, so it's not super cold). I think the first time I tried it, I didn't have the OBD11 yet, so I winged it with a HF infrared thermometer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

How do we all feel about the 2020 GLI?

I'm still a sucker for sedans, I like my 2012 GLI Autobahn quite a bit, and I'm interested in trading up to a lease on the 2020 Autobahn version.

I have no information about it other than my experience with my current car and that the 2020 version is pretty highly rated. Any goons got the lowdown?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I’m having this weird issue with my 19’ Tiguan. Sometimes my CarPlay will
Randomly disconnect while the phone is connected, I unplug and reply’s and it works fine. It’s strange. I read somewhere that I might be because of the cellular connection, but when it disconnects I have a minimum of 2 bars. The cord isn’t an official cord from Apple, but it’s apparently certified according to Amazon.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Have you tried another cord? I’ve had this issue with a few cords, especially when the charger tip has some wear.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
We had the same problem in our Alltrack, and replacing the cord fixed the issue. Both were certified cords although the new one was more expensive and maybe nominally higher quality.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any suggestions as to the cord I should use? I’m currently using an Anker.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I'm an Anker fan, but sometimes a cable just wears out early and needs to be replaced. With three people with phones and Kindles and crap in my household, I keep a couple spare cables of each cable type around.

loaf
Jan 25, 2004

can intake manifolds, valve covers, and timing chain covers get so oily that they need to be replaced? not just the gaskets, but the actual metal parts? my gf's mechanic just quoted $2k to replace them all due to contamination from an oil leak. the shop ownership just changed, and it sounds crazy to me, but i haven't worked on cars for a decade or two so maybe everything's full of robotics now or something? it's a 2.0L turbo VW passat.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That sounds like horseshit I'd just ask them to clean them...

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

At least my shop just cleans everything, even the biggest metal parts. My engine&trans were super oily& cruddy when I bought the car used, they just cleaned everything. They said it was not a nice job :D

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

My “check gas cap” light has gone on 3 days in a row now, but only in the morning when it’s been cold (45-55ish). Gas cap is always tight, more than 3/4 of the tank is full.

Is this likely just a common thing with a bad seal or am I about to see more than just a cap light come on soon?

This is on a 2012 GTI.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Do you mean the CEL? That is not a gas cap light. Get codes pulled.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Do you mean the CEL? That is not a gas cap light. Get codes pulled.

No, it’s the light of a gas cap next to the side of the car.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

gas caps are cheap, just replace it

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

obi_ant posted:

Any suggestions as to the cord I should use? I’m currently using an Anker.

Second this. We have the exact same issue in it Macan(presumably the same system) and also use Anker cords. Who makes better cords?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Anyone here have the vag brain worms bad enough to have a B5 S4? There’s a clean stage 3 by me for around $11k with 99k miles on it and I’m jonesing.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

willroc7 posted:

Anyone here have the vag brain worms bad enough to have a B5 S4? There’s a clean stage 3 by me for around $11k with 99k miles on it and I’m jonesing.

Like the original allroad, those things were barely running when new. Nearly 20 years has done them no favors.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
So, my husband had been complaining that my GTI is more difficult to drive than his tuned TDI sportwagen, which is true. I usually keep the windows down or music low so I can hear the engine enough to shift. He suggested doing stainless cluch lines, an aftermarket clutch block, an exhaust, and maybe an aftermarket pendulum mount. I'm not particularly mechanically inclined, however my husband is one by trade. I was just planning on getting an AWE exhaust at some point, but is would the other stuff be worthwhile or would it be better to do something else?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

meatpimp posted:

Like the original allroad, those things were barely running when new. Nearly 20 years has done them no favors.
Plus that was back when you could swap out the ECU for a tuned one and swap it back in before you went to the dealer. People were blowing turbos and head gaskets on them like it was their job.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Pine Cone Jones posted:

So, my husband had been complaining that my GTI is more difficult to drive than his tuned TDI sportwagen, which is true. I usually keep the windows down or music low so I can hear the engine enough to shift. He suggested doing stainless cluch lines, an aftermarket clutch block, an exhaust, and maybe an aftermarket pendulum mount. I'm not particularly mechanically inclined, however my husband is one by trade. I was just planning on getting an AWE exhaust at some point, but is would the other stuff be worthwhile or would it be better to do something else?

What year GTI is this, is it tuned, and what exactly makes it hard to drive? I recently picked up a manual MK7.5 GTI so I'm just curious because mine is super easy to thrash around. Only complaint I have is gas pedal placement makes heel toe real hard for me(getting a spacer for this to see if it helps).

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Buhbuhj posted:

What year GTI is this, is it tuned, and what exactly makes it hard to drive? I recently picked up a manual MK7.5 GTI so I'm just curious because mine is super easy to thrash around. Only complaint I have is gas pedal placement makes heel toe real hard for me(getting a spacer for this to see if it helps).

It's a 2016. It's still stock, for me I only learned to drive stick about a year ago now. My husband complains that it's numb and it's difficult to hear the engine and get feedback from the clutch. I don't know enough for the last complaint, but I need to use engine noise to downshift. I'm still not particularly smooth all the time.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Honestly I would just learn to drive the car as it is. There's no need to make the car louder because you can't get your downshift blips right. I drove a s550 mustang for 5 years before that and it had absolutey no clutch feedback so maybe I'm a little biased but the GTI clutch feels fine to me, a bit light but theres enough feeling.

You can try removing the very small assist spring on the clutch pedal that helps pull it to the floor. I didn't really feel a difference doing it but perhaps there's a small amount of feedback there you can gain.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Buhbuhj posted:

Honestly I would just learn to drive the car as it is. There's no need to make the car louder because you can't get your downshift blips right. I drove a s550 mustang for 5 years before that and it had absolutey no clutch feedback so maybe I'm a little biased but the GTI clutch feels fine to me, a bit light but theres enough feeling.

You can try removing the very small assist spring on the clutch pedal that helps pull it to the floor. I didn't really feel a difference doing it but perhaps there's a small amount of feedback there you can gain.

Downshifting I seem to be fine, as dumb as it sounds it's going from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd that I am not the smoothest. My husbands TDI is pretty easy and I learned to drive in that, but it is way easier to drive stick with a diesel it seems.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
This is a weird thing to talk about because we don't drive our cars the same way.

The main issue with the 1 to 2 shift is the gear spacing. 2nd gear is stupid long in this car, and nothing your husband mentioned will fix that. It's going to take some experimenting to find what works the best for you. Personally I find a quick shift works better, the higher the rpm the better. If you are driving slow it's pretty easy to just slip the clutch and ride it out into 2nd a bit, the bite in the clutch is pretty low and you have a lot of pedal to play with.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

I'll have to give it more time, working from home the past few months hasn't helped either. Thanks for the advice.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Does it bother you or just him?

Any mod you make usually comes with a trade off. Mounts make the car vibrate more generally and it's not been worth it whenever I did it in the past. Clutch pedal stuff usually doesn't have downsides and more feedback isn't the worst thing especially if you're still learning. That said, I'd just drive it. Most modern manuals just have less feel than older cars because manufacturers traded less NVH for less feel, basically.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Any tall golf (alltrack) owners here? My husband is 6’5 and we want something more practical but I insist upon a manual and not being a snooze to drive. This obviously doesn’t leave us with a lot of the options in the States. We’ll be test driving/sitting it but I just wanted to know how much I should curb my enthusiasm, as it seems great for us. Not sure how much the alltrack aspect affects front driver space either, guessing not much compared to a smaller golf. Anyone know how much the panoramic roof eats into the alltrack’s headspace? Tried googling but to no avail, and it’d be nice to avoid another test drive purely to check that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

dont buy the panoramic roof unless you want to establish a close relationship with your dealer. it's a golf. the passenger compartment is exactly the same as a four door golf or the sportwagen. the extra height is in the suspension. it's impossible to figure out who fits in what car without test driving it, so even if you could find stuff on google it wouldn't necessarily be relevant or applicable.

we really like ours, base model S 6 speed with the $400 collision mitigation package. it's very practical, and decent-ish to drive, although a little wallowy due to the suspension height. ours has an APR tune and swaybars which helps.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I should do swaybars.. I lowered mine which makes it look cooler but hasn't done anything for how it handles in turns. It's actually lower than my stock height S4 which is sort of lol

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

What are your guys thoughts on the S3? I moved to CO and I need something with AWD to get to the ski slopes in the winter.

I realize this is a bad time to buy as it seems like upgraded versions of the S3 and Golf R are just around the corner.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Snow tires are cheaper than a car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

having ridden in the back of a colleague's A3 I would not wish that on my worst enemy, it's somehow tiny compared to Jetta

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

Snow tires are cheaper than a car.

My current car is a Miata. So I need something a bit more practical. Or at least something that can fit a roof rack.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

keep the miata and buy a beater

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

keep the miata and buy a beater VW.

Ah, you mean a Sportswagen or Alltrack I believe.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Partial Octopus posted:

What are your guys thoughts on the S3? I moved to CO and I need something with AWD to get to the ski slopes in the winter.

lol.

If you want an S3 or Golf R by all means get one. My GTI on snows handled everything that got thrown at it. My M3 can't make it out of the garage when there's 14 inches of fresh snow though. AWD obviously adds some peace of mind when driving in the mountains but it isn't necessary if you're pretty much exclusively going to the resorts. Everything leading to them gets plowed constantly. My biggest worry in the M3 is getting stopped on either side of the tunnel in a heavy snow dump.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I had a previous gen S3 a few years ago. It’s a nice little car but, as mentioned, the back seats are really tight. I don’t know if they improved this for the new gen. I had a set of winter tires for it and never had any issues in snow, slush, etc.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

GabbiLB posted:

This is a weird thing to talk about because we don't drive our cars the same way.

The main issue with the 1 to 2 shift is the gear spacing. 2nd gear is stupid long in this car, and nothing your husband mentioned will fix that. It's going to take some experimenting to find what works the best for you. Personally I find a quick shift works better, the higher the rpm the better. If you are driving slow it's pretty easy to just slip the clutch and ride it out into 2nd a bit, the bite in the clutch is pretty low and you have a lot of pedal to play with.

I've owned two stick shift VWs, a Mk6 GTI and my current Mk7 Golf with the 1.4, both 6-speed. In both cars, the spacing between 1st and 2nd makes it really hard to do that shift smoothly without slipping the clutch a fair amount or mentally counting off an extra second before letting the clutch out to give the engine revs an extra tick to drop naturally back into around where they would be in 2nd. On both of my previous 2 trips to the UK, I rented diesel VAG cars (a Golf first time, A3 the second time) with 5-speed gearboxes, and it was much easier to get a smooth 1st-2nd shift there, I think because 1st gear wasn't insanely short. 1st gear in my current Golf practically feels like a hill-climbing gear and I try to get into 2nd as soon as possible for actual acceleration, but the 1.4 doesn't have enough gumption to start out in 2nd without bucking the car or grinding the clutch way down.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Boys I am well and truly joining the ranks of Automotive Insanity. I'm buying a B6 Passat Wagon sight unseen from a few states over and having it shipped to me. It has 140k miles and a manual transmission. May the automotive gods smile upon me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

chutwig posted:

I've owned two stick shift VWs, a Mk6 GTI and my current Mk7 Golf with the 1.4, both 6-speed. In both cars, the spacing between 1st and 2nd makes it really hard to do that shift smoothly without slipping the clutch a fair amount or mentally counting off an extra second before letting the clutch out to give the engine revs an extra tick to drop naturally back into around where they would be in 2nd. On both of my previous 2 trips to the UK, I rented diesel VAG cars (a Golf first time, A3 the second time) with 5-speed gearboxes, and it was much easier to get a smooth 1st-2nd shift there, I think because 1st gear wasn't insanely short. 1st gear in my current Golf practically feels like a hill-climbing gear and I try to get into 2nd as soon as possible for actual acceleration, but the 1.4 doesn't have enough gumption to start out in 2nd without bucking the car or grinding the clutch way down.

The MK5 GTI I currently own is I think my 8th standard car and it definitely threw me off a bit learning it - coming from a late 90s WRC homalgamation STI so it's not 1:1 but the clutch pedal throw is extremely long and soft (!) with a weird bite point kinda 1/2way up. I actually stalled it a few times the first week I had it.