Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

mehall posted:

Seriously.

Like, I loving get it, if this had been 5 years ago I'd have been stuck in retail still, so forced onto public transport and made to face the public, countless of which would likely not have had masks even though they're required in shops in Scotland, but I sure as poo poo would have been bitter as gently caress about it, and would have been staying away from every oval office I could, in the quiet hours probably shouting across the shop floor to colleagues rather than speaking up close, if I could get away with it - - and even then, only possible because where I worked at the time had enough tills, all spread out around the store to let everyone distance easily enough, if it had been when I worked in GAME, I would have been in a shopping centre, with *maybe* 2 feet space.

I sure as poo poo don't blame the workers, it's not their choice their employers are being the usual miserable bastards.

Retail and hospitality, amongst others, are sectors whose furlough should be ongoing till fuckin March of next year at a minimum, and government should be investing in remoting teaching abilities to be able to keep maximum number of kids outside of school buildings, etc etc etc.

Don't come here and say I'm taking it too seriously because I have the luxury of working from home. gently caress you.

(yes, yes, you got a loving bite, well done, run back off to wherever you came from and re-post my rage rant as some loving trophy, oval office)

From the end of February to the end of June I worked 60 hour weeks. I rotated from nights to days.

I helped to intubate covid patients. I worked in our converted ITU theatre.

If you have not done CPR wearing full PPE and a FP3 mask for half an hour several times a day on Covid patients you can gently caress You too.

2001- G8 protests in Genoa. They accidently shoot a protester.

Dogatron fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Dogatron posted:

From the end of February to the end of June I worked 60 hour weeks. I rotated from nights to days.

If you have not done CPR wearing full PPE and a FP3 mask for half an hour several times a day on Covid patients you can gently caress You too.

Yeah and we all clapped about it once a week so calm down.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Dogatron posted:

Wait, is tonight's thread-making GBS threads all seriously just because we stopped clapping for you?

E; honestly dude it sounds like you've had an understandably tough few months and need a break. I don't think making GBS threads on people in other professions is going to bring you the peace of mind you're looking for though so maybe chill out and step away from the internet for a bit?

blunt fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 21, 2020

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

the clapping was the most productive government initiative so far

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

Communist Thoughts posted:

the clapping was the most productive government initiative so far

felt good, man

pay rise would have felt better

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Dogatron posted:

A couple folks have already done the clapping joke, so I'll do a quick serious post

I have enormous respect for the work you have done, I know it's not something I could do, but it doesn't somehow make your opinion that it's folks on furlough and working from home who are at fault for covid cases.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Between watching The Boys and reading this thread I think I've filled my lifetime quota of hearing the word 'oval office' in the last few hours.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Working for the NHS does not preclude you from being a oval office.

Also I never clapped and I wouldn’t change that, if you clapped you’re a tory.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

mehall posted:

A couple folks have already done the clapping joke, so I'll do a quick serious post

I have enormous respect for the work you have done, I know it's not something I could do, but it doesn't somehow make your opinion that it's folks on furlough and working from home who are at fault for covid cases.

I never said that. I objected to the middle class and furloughed folk blaming the working class for the rise in Covid cases.

It is a thing and it is wrong.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

Sanitary Naptime posted:

With you on that.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I got yelled at by a bald pink man for not clapping in ASDA.

That's my story.

I've barely left my house since January. I spent the weekend building a hedgehog house as we saw one in the back garden.

I may have finally gone mad.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Mebh posted:

I got yelled at by a bald pink man for not clapping in ASDA.

That's my story.

I've barely left my house since January. I spent the weekend building a hedgehog house as we saw one in the back garden.

I may have finally gone mad.

o7

Embrace it for the good of the hogs

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020
I loving hated the clapping. It pissed me off.

Just letting people know.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Dogatron posted:

I never said that. I objected to the middle class and furloughed folk blaming the working class for the rise in Covid cases.

Here's what you said that kicked this off

quote:

The odds of a vaccine soon are rapidly going out of the window. If you are that risk averse and have a nice middle class job when you can work from home and worry and fret every time you open your front door, deal with it.

The rest of society has kept on keeping on looking after you. Provided your refuse collection, electricity, security, health care, gas, water and food. They took the risk and are still doing the same thing.

Bodies are not being stacked up in the street.

Protect and shield the elderly by all means, but the worried middle class moaning and whining about masks and social distancing are starting to piss me off. It really has a strong smell of classism.

I'm sure middle class people were much the same when typhoid was rampant.

Do you think folks shouldn't be wearing masks?
Do you think folks shouldn't social distance?

I get that it can be frustrating for people who can opt out of it entirely to be calling you out on it, but that doesn't make it classist.
The best way for everyone to work together and spread it the least - within current socioeconomic policy - is to wear masks out the home, stay as far apart as is reasonable, and to minimize social interaction.

Yes it loving sucks, but it sucks for us all.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Oh hey, 120 posts, something interesting must have happened.

Nope, just UKMT collectively falling for the lowest-effort concern trolling, yet again.

(Yes, I know my record is hardly stellar on this)

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
It's just a slow news day

e: at least it's not loving monster munch

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the objection was more to the tut tutting of the middle class journalists about the feckless paups not wearing the right type of mask or whatever rather than the systemic push by the government to kill as many people as possible to fund tim martin's dick pill fund or whatever he spends his money on.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Dogatron posted:

I was just trying to say that the whole Covid thing has turned into another way to have a go at the poor and the working class.
Definitely true, but this thread is a rare refuge from that shite.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

mehall posted:

Here's what you said that kicked this off

Do you think folks shouldn't be wearing masks?
Do you think folks shouldn't social distance?

I get that it can be frustrating for people who can opt out of it entirely to be calling you out on it, but that doesn't make it classist.
The best way for everyone to work together and spread it the least - within current socioeconomic policy - is to wear masks out the home, stay as far apart as is reasonable, and to minimize social interaction.

Yes it loving sucks, but it sucks for us all.

It sucks more for the working class working in shops than the middle class on zoom.

Be honest here.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Dogatron posted:

now see, this is why i was poking at you for not being clear what your point was, if you had said this in the first post we could all have wasted a lot less time trying to figure out what you were trying to actually say and potentially misinterpreting great swathes of it. like I'm not sure I get the intended point of every word of your post (why are the lack of bodies stacking up relevant? do you still think wearing masks/distancing is important even if middle class people shouldn't harp on at the working class over it?) still but at least now it's clear what you were trying to get at, at least in a sentence or two of it.

Cultlife
Jan 1, 2012

blunt posted:

As a bit of a PSA, if you do happen to catch covid (middle class or otherwise), it might be a good idea to lay off the exercise for a bit once you've recovered.

Just wanted to echo this and add an anecdote: I had something Covid-like in March (before tests were available unless you were in hospital - my symptoms were closer to the 'gastro version' with milder respiratory symptoms) and for at least 8-12 weeks after the fever went away my ability to exercise was heavily impacted.

Chances are your body will be screaming at you to take it easy, and it's probably worth listening to it.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

Angepain posted:

now see, this is why i was poking at you for not being clear what your point was, if you had said this in the first post we could all have wasted a lot less time trying to figure out what you were trying to actually say and potentially misinterpreting great swathes of it. like I'm not sure I get the intended point of every word of your post (why are the lack of bodies stacking up relevant? do you still think wearing masks/distancing is important even if middle class people shouldn't harp on at the working class over it?) still but at least now it's clear what you were trying to get at, at least in a sentence or two of it.

where would be the fun it that? I've been called a oval office, argued with other folk and had a good time all round.

I still think the angry Scottish man might have a problem with me but to be honest I amazed he can type while still wearing a skirt.

I thought they got too excited with the breeze between their knees.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
gently caress off

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're just going to be a prick then there's very little reason for anyone to want to engage with you.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Dogatron posted:

where would be the fun it that? I've been called a oval office, argued with other folk and had a good time all round.

I still think the angry Scottish man might have a problem with me but to be honest I amazed he can type while still wearing a skirt.

I thought they got too excited with the breeze between their knees.

ok you can definitely gently caress off then

MagicalCarp
Jan 19, 2008

A Well Respected Fish

I'm one of the apparent dickheads that has been furloughed in the service industry. Getting paid not to work loving owns. Yes, my labour has been replaced because to my company all staff are faceless sausage roll dispensing cogs in the machine, but that doesn't render me suddenly meaningless.

I've spent the pandemic helping set up a food bank, start an artist business and volunteer at a community space that helps people with isolation. All of those things were infinitely more rewarding and helpful than making profits for a massive company. Turns out people do have value than doesn't just stem from their job or whatever that spicy hot fart of a take was supposed to be.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

MagicalCarp posted:

I've spent the pandemic helping set up a food bank, start an artist business and volunteer at a community space that helps people with isolation. All of those things were infinitely more rewarding and helpful than making profits for a massive company. Turns out people do have value than doesn't just stem from their job or whatever that spicy hot fart of a take was supposed to be.

That's loving awesome, and good on you. Well done!

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Dogatron I don't like telling people to gently caress off, but seriously, gently caress off with that snyde bullshit.

You seem to be trying to make a point about the middle class being overly concerned about low risk things, fine.

Being more long winded than Ronya in an attempt to look smart, then demanding people engage with you for some obscure measure of sympathy points after casually dropping into chat that you're a care worker... Fine. Irritating and overdone but whatever.

Then ending your posts with lovely insults to people who decided to engage with you... is just baffling? I don't get what you're trying to achieve, other than to get everyone to tell you you're a oval office and to gently caress off...

It seems like lovely trolling to me.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

JordanKai posted:

It's time.

Presumably because of this:

https://twitter.com/owenjones84/status/1307731233892372489

lol bodied.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I'm furloughed but I'm a minimum wage food worker, how bad am I supposed to feel for not being out there

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Continuity RCP posted:

I'm furloughed but I'm a minimum wage food worker, how bad am I supposed to feel for not being out there

More shame than if you killed a million Baby Jesus'.
There are loads of groups of loud opinionated men and women who suffered having to stay inside for a few weeks months ago,
who now deserve a sit down and a sandwich in the last remaining days of the summer sun. Just before they need a place for the colds of winter too.
What do you expect them to do, stay inside some more?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I feel like the past decade of more-or-less unemployment I've had was like training.

See, the trick is to get really into Dark Souls and takeaway food. The weeks will fly in.

I do miss my ritual of going to the cinema/art galleries/museums though. Without those, I leave the house maybe once every month or so.

And I absolutely appreciate the irony of posting this at 4am.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 21, 2020

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Sanitary Naptime posted:

I have only clapped in the cinema at the end of the movie

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I'm trying to get a pay rise for NHS workers but I'm dummy thick and the clap of my rear end cheeks is happening at 8pm on a thursday.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Ms Adequate posted:

I have only clapped in the cinema at the end of the movie

That's the worse than the NHS clap. What are you, American? Who claps at the movies??

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Oh hey, 120 posts, something interesting must have happened.

Nope, just UKMT collectively falling for the lowest-effort concern trolling, yet again.

(Yes, I know my record is hardly stellar on this)

Ultimately the easily trolled nature of the thread is going to be an inevitable side effect of one of the things that makes the thread good, taking things sincerely most of the time. Just going to have to accept it as an inevitable side effect.

Miftan posted:

That's the worse than the NHS clap. What are you, American? Who claps at the movies??

Clapped at the end of Requiem of a Dream after Jared Leto lost an arm

It's far too early for my brain to think of the least appropriate film to applaud at the end of so that's the best I can do for now

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Sep 21, 2020

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm not furloughed, but I have so much more work to do than is actually possible that I might as well be. I'm the only one in my part of the office though, so it's quite nice to get out the house, I guess.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Lol this kept going

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1307736174761586689?s=19

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1307737864332087296?s=19

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Sanitary Naptime posted:

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1263584694240604160?s=20

Don't talk such rot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
He gets paid obscene money for this

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1307933784776601600?s=19