Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Powershift posted:

I actually like the GLB because it's specifically not a coupe.

It reminds me a little of the old forester.

Huh I was unaware of this model and I don't hate it, as far as this class of vehicle goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I really like the GLB. I just wish it wasn't so expensive after clicking some options. Getting one optioned out the way I like puts me in some nicer cars territory

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Guinness posted:

Huh I was unaware of this model and I don't hate it, as far as this class of vehicle goes.

I like it as well, it reminds me of the old GLK which I thought was a great looking car. For me, SUV’s or tall vehicles in general look so much better when they are more squared off and tough. Trying to make a tall vehicle look sleek a la the X6, GLE coupe (or really any modern SUV IMO) is just awkward and unfitting.

It’s like, taking a sleek vehicle and lowering it or chopping the roof makes it look better. Hotrodders have known this for years. But doing the opposite to the ride height and roof does...the opposite.

Clearly I’m in the minority though because almost every modern SUV has swoopy lines and curves.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Anything that calls itself a ‘coupe’ and has 4 doors is an abomination and none of them look any better than complete rear end. BMW was the worst at that initially but now it seems all the Germans do it. 4 door 4 series???? Isn’t that what the loving 3 series was for and why you split the 4 series out in the first place?

i own every Bionicle posted:

I like it as well, it reminds me of the old GLK which I thought was a great looking car.

This is the same thing I thought when I saw that. I don’t hate it, but I also don’t really particularly like any SUV.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Powershift posted:

It's only 7 inches longer and 4 inches wider than the original Forester, if Wikipedia's numbers are right.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Charles posted:

It's only 7 inches longer and 4 inches wider than the original Forester, if Wikipedia's numbers are right.

... so just about the same size as the current Forester.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
it's a dumb front wheel drive 4 cyl breadbox?

like maybe you're going in too hard o the irony here

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Kicks is not totally garbage by tiny cheap CUV standards, and the Altima is fine but boring, but the rest of the bread-and-butter CUV lineup is nasty

I had one of those Kicks foisted on me as a rental because Enterprise thinks a compact CUV is an "upgrade" from a full-size sedan.

It felt about as stable as a two-legged stool and it genuinely pissed me off at how tiny and cheap it was.

You're doing something wrong when a well-worn Jetta makes your brand-new CUV look and feel like junk.

The Oldest Man posted:

The QX80 might be the ugliest car ever made.

Also the thirstiest, but yeah. Also gigantic in ways that make absolutely no sense to the average person. It's just huge for no loving reason.

Perfect lease-bait, right here. Wannabe ballers will love this thing.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

90s Solo Cup posted:

Perfect lease-bait, right here. Wannabe ballers will love this thing.

As Ian Holm once said, I admire its purity.

Throatwarbler posted:

it's a dumb front wheel drive 4 cyl breadbox?

like maybe you're going in too hard o the irony here

You can get it with a 7 passenger configuration in a footprint roughly equivalent to a Toyota Corolla. I don't like it but I respect it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I appreciate vehicles that are cube shaped [RWD Volvo wagon, SF/SG Forester, etc] to maximize usable volume. Sloped roofs are all the rage and make back seats poo poo and hatches tiny.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

... so just about the same size as the current Forester.

Yeah which seems huge compared to my old one. What a difference a few inches makes.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Powershift posted:

Maybe it's just my inner snob, but I find it hard to like any of MB's "junior" offerings (CLA, GLA/GLB, A-Class), probably because I strongly associate them with people looking to flex on the cheap and the easiest way to do that is through leasing the cheapest MB they can get approved for. So every time I see someone driving around in a CLA, A-Class or GLB, I always assume they're some $30k millionaire or some middle management type who thinks the three-pointed star gives them a +5 boost in social standing. And of course they don't have the income to swing something that'd work much better in that regard, like a Porsche.

I used to feel the same way about the C-Class, but the CLA has since supplanted it as my hate sink of choice.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Charles posted:

I appreciate vehicles that are cube shaped [RWD Volvo wagon, SF/SG Forester, etc] to maximize usable volume. Sloped roofs are all the rage and make back seats poo poo and hatches tiny.

Yeah which seems huge compared to my old one. What a difference a few inches makes.

It's nuts. My 2017 XT feels enormous compared to my 2006 Impreza wagon ... then I park them next to each other and it's surprising how similarly-sized they are. It's even worse in motion, given the weight penalty of the turbo plumbing and the visual crowding from the Eyesight unit. The manual I test drove felt smaller from the driver's seat.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Seriously when I saw the thumbnail of that GLC coupe on my phone my first reaction was did someone wrap a Buick?

90s Solo Cup posted:

I used to feel the same way about the C-Class, but the CLA has since supplanted it as my hate sink of choice.
MB knows about this dynamic, which is why they will never stop reaching for the bottom of that barrel. The only way out of this race to the bottom is for people like you to stop hating :p

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
aerodynamics, pedestrian crash requirements, side impact requirements, and various other safety features are good things on balance but they are not without drawbacks

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I can't hate on small cars. They tend to handle better, be more efficient, they're easier to drive and park in tight spaces, it's all around a superior experience unless you need the extra space. While I see why they have a bad reputation as being the cheapest way to attain the prestige of a luxury brand, why should someone who only wants a C-class-sized car buy something larger when they neither need nor want it? The CLA looks ridiculous, but that's because it's ridiculous, not because it's small.

Ultimately, it's amazing how fast this thread will switch from "cars are getting too big nowadays!" to "why would you buy a small car? What are you, some sort of poncy middle manager?"

PT6A fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 20, 2020

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

PT6A posted:

I can't hate on small cars. They tend to handle better, be more efficient, they're easier to drive and park in tight spaces, it's all around a superior experience unless you need the extra space. While I see why they have a bad reputation as being the cheapest way to attain the prestige of a luxury brand, why should someone who only wants a C-class-sized car buy something larger when they neither need nor want it? The CLA looks ridiculous, but that's because it's ridiculous, not because it's small.

Are they any better than a same-sized Golf? Or Hyundai?
I am legitimately asking as all new cars bleed together like kid's playdough. Is it just the badge or is there something to them that justify it?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

KakerMix posted:

I am legitimately asking as all new cars bleed together like kid's playdough. Is it just the badge or is there something to them that justify it?

Well, I haven't actually driven one, but looking at reviews of the Mercedes A35 AMG it looks similarly-specced to a Golf R and within generally the same price range. The reviews are favourable and comment that the interior is particularly nice by comparison, so it doesn't seem horrifically unreasonable to cross-shop them on their merits alone rather than brand cachet. Is an S-Class really worth it over a Genesis? Hard to say, but the person who buys an S-Class is probably going to get criticized less than someone who buys an A-Class even if the situation is broadly similar regardless of the size of car.

I'm not saying I'd buy one, but it would be difficult for me to look at someone that picked it over the Golf R and say "no, actually you're wrong and stupid." It's a personal choice. I reserve "wrong and stupid" for people who buy CUVs :v:

PT6A fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 20, 2020

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Top gear's review of the GLB 35 suggests the 330d estate, golf R estate, or audi S4 avant as better alternatives.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Incidentally, I've always thought that the W201, which I think was the first "baby Benz", should have gotten the same sort of youngtimer cred as BMW E30 and Volvo 244 got.

Or maybe I am missing the point on what causes older cars to become desirable.

edit: or maybe I have vaporwave poisoning. Well kept examples are not very cheap on mobile.de

a podcast for cats fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 20, 2020

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

KakerMix posted:

It's a perfectly competent C-segment hatchback not some self-propelling garbage bin joke car you'd only buy because it has a star on it. It's positioned more in line with the Audi A3 than the Golf so it's got fancier toys, a nicer interior and more creature comforts.

Tonton Macoute posted:

Incidentally, I've always thought that the W201

It was a very common and popular car here in the Netherlands up until a couple of years ago because cars older than 25 years used to be exempt from road taxes and diesel W201s will last forever as long as you keep patching the body rust (diesel here is also much cheaper at the pump but normally costs a lot extra in road taxes). They basically vanished overnight when that loophole closed.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I have a 94 C220 W202 and it's been super reliable. There have been some common issues like the intermittent wiper relay having cold solder and the dome light having an issue but that's not bad for 27 years old now. I still see lots around. The 4 cylinder is great and the transmission not bad, although a bit primitive even for 94. On the other hand, I hardly see the C280 or the Kompressor models. I think the base model was the last of the transition of durable era Benzes to luxury nightmare wiring Benzes.

Edit: but it lived in a Midwest state before and some of the suspension components are getting pretty rusty. I'll have to take a look at it again and see if it needs to be retired because of that.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

BraveUlysses posted:

oh yeah just in case anyone forgot how loving bad adam corolla is

https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1307030082477789184

lol at nissan using this loser to speak at the new Z unveil

Wow. I haven't paid attention him for a bit, and being from SoCal I'd try to defend him but... gently caress Adam Carolla

He started out okay on KROQ with Dr. Drew trying to bring some modern thought to relationships and sexual health but... Yeah.

If he's any representation of the new Nissan then hard pass.

gently caress that guy. The idea of tone deaf is tone deaf on Adam Carolla.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Dr Drew is pretty lovely too

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tonton Macoute posted:

Incidentally, I've always thought that the W201

My parents had two W201s in the late 90s/early 2000s, first a 1985 1.9D (non-turbo) 4spd manual, then a 1988 2.5TD automatic. That 5cyl engine was magnificent.

Really drat good cars, as long as you kept the rust at bay.

The 1985 had gotten a new engine at ~600K km not long before they bought it, they sold it at ~850k km and it kept going until ~1.2m km as a mechanic's loaner car.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/mrlevine/status/1307983631256678400?s=21

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2020/09/21/answering-call-enthusiasts-bronco-brand-expands-sasquatch.html

Ford makes the Sasquatch package available on Broncos with manual transmissions.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 21, 2020

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

So it was marketing the whole time then?

Lame.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Dammit Ford why must you continually make me consider giving you money again???

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

KakerMix posted:

So it was marketing the whole time then?

Lame.

So they listened to feedback and made something available that people requested, and that's lame?

:psypop:

Somehow I suspect if this was Toyota doing the exact same thing with a reborn FJ40 you wouldn't be saying this...

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Q_res posted:

Somehow I suspect if this was Toyota doing the exact same thing with a reborn FJ40 you wouldn't be saying this...

I wish they would.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Q_res posted:

So they listened to feedback and made something available that people requested, and that's lame?

:psypop:

:psyduck:
I'll poo poo on Toyota all day too, what the hell do they have to do with this? There isn't a new car I would buy today, with the closest possibility being this new Bronco.

That this package wasn't available with a manual transmission is dumb and stupid, and there is no good reason why it wasn't. The fact that they can just go 'oh geeze ok' and make it available is a testament to that. They know the manual was a big deal, why didn't they just go all the way? The cynic in me assumes then that this was a play to keep the spotlight on them and have another flash of emotion rise up to keep the interest going. Look at that press release on media.ford.com, with a pat-on-the-back 'wow we listened aren't we cool' headline and fancy video all produced and ready to go.

I stand by that they did this on purpose. I'll also stand by the fact that this Bronco is incredibly expensive, is still a modern Ford with all the issues that could arise from that, and if I truly could by any new car in the world I'd plonk down big bucks for a brand new 70 series from Australia because it's the same truck that I have to make do after 25 years here in the US. Toyota doesn't sell anything I'm interested at all for us US folk. :colbert:

EDIT
There is no 'reborn FJ40', because it would just be the J70, that already exists and is currently sold. If Toyota wanted to take on Jeep and now maybe Ford with the Bronco they'd just make a J90.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 21, 2020

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lets just all agree that the new Bronco is the greatest vehicle in the history of the planet and leave it at that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ford is an incredibly bureaucratic organization and although it's possible that they have gotten clever and crafty and full of plots, i think it's more likely the option wasn't available because Ford didn't think they could justify the cost to produce another package combo and the bean boys had some take rate projections to support it. i am pretty sure that the package is subject to federalization with every powertrain since the wheels and tires would effect crash performance. then when they launched, they heard a poo poo ton of bitching and moaning about it, so immediately post launch they tried another run at a business case to do it, and decided to offer it. then they put together some marketing materials.

if they were really trying to keep interest on the boil in the way you suggest, i think they would push out the update, since first deliveries aren't until like June of next year. you would want to get the hype train rolling closer to launch.

edit: i know this is a bit ridiculous but average transaction prices are up to like 38 grand so the Bronco is not notably expensive and exactly in line with its other main competitor

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 21, 2020

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Ford is an incredibly bureaucratic organization and although it's possible that they have gotten clever and crafty and full of plots, i think it's more likely the option wasn't available because Ford didn't think they could justify the cost to produce another package combo and the bean boys had some take rate projections to support it. i am pretty sure that the package is subject to federalization with every powertrain since the wheels and tires would effect crash performance. then when they launched, they heard a poo poo ton of bitching and moaning about it, so immediately post launch they tried another run at a business case to do it, and decided to offer it. then they put together some marketing materials.

if they were really trying to keep interest on the boil in the way you suggest, i think they would push out the update, since first deliveries aren't until like June of next year. you would want to get the hype train rolling closer to launch.

edit: i know this is a bit ridiculous but average transaction prices are up to like 38 grand so the Bronco is not notably expensive and exactly in line with its other main competitor

At least in my scenario Ford is capable and plans ahead, in yours they are incompetent :v:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

have you looked at *gestures vaguely to the entire Ford business* recently?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You make a compelling argument. :hmmyes:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

KakerMix posted:

:psyduck:
I'll poo poo on Toyota all day too, what the hell do they have to do with this? There isn't a new car I would buy today, with the closest possibility being this new Bronco.

It didn't have to be Toyota specifically, just first name that sprung to mind. Anyway, it's unimportant.

As for this being some 5th dimensional chess on their part. I totally buy that they didn't think it made sense to offer that combo of options. You have to remember Fords current CEO is a glorified bean counter with no auto industry experience. Who pretty much single-handedly hosed the Explorer/Aviator launch.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I was hoping someone had made this point, thank you.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I like the new Toyota Camry XSE V6 because I don’t race, autocross or do anything except driving on public roads 40km over the speed limit. That car has just enough handling improvements for my use case plus overkill power, reliability and practicality that I can’t see myself driving anything else unless I definitely feel like lighting money on fire.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

I like the new Toyota Camry XSE V6 because I don’t race, autocross or do anything except driving on public roads 40km over the speed limit. That car has just enough handling improvements for my use case plus overkill power, reliability and practicality that I can’t see myself driving anything else unless I definitely feel like lighting money on fire.
Took the thread title seriously, eh?

:D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Krakkles posted:

Took the thread title seriously, eh?

:D

More like I can’t believe I’m lusting after a Camry after spending my entire life hating on it. Also I spent too much time watching Scotty Kilmer and I’m kinda brainwashed now.