Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

As covid numbers spike, Vancouver sells its one downtown hospital (and my birth place) to condo developers for $1 billion.

https://twitter.com/urbanYVR/status/1307788182113615874?s=19

Think of the value taxpayers just got

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

starkebn posted:

speaking of, rbg ruled that its legal to eminent domain a property and sell it to a corporation

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

starkebn posted:

Sure, a moderate investment from the city/province/parliament could have had it up and running in some capacity, but now think of the private ROI!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

inferis posted:

speaking of, rbg ruled that its legal to eminent domain a property and sell it to a corporation

Queen

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just saw that CSI episode last night.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Crosspostin'

Finally, all the job security and benefits of an Uber driver, with all the warm fuzzy feelings that you're making a difference that come with being a goddamn repo guy.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
that startup is definitely gonna get people murdered lol

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ekuNNN has issued a correction as of 20:17 on Sep 29, 2021

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
i can't wait for the story about how people showed up to the wrong address and said "gently caress it" and "got to work" throwing some random person's poo poo out on the street

"oh, it was NORTH market street? not SOUTH market street?"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shame Boy posted:

Crosspostin'

Finally, all the job security and benefits of an Uber driver, with all the warm fuzzy feelings that you're making a difference that come with being a goddamn repo guy.

Getting really close to the Westworld Season 3 thing where there's just a big pool of criminals for hire on an app.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Friend just made me aware of this masterpiece:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sneak_King

quote:

Burger King's creative control over the game impacted its development defined as a set of rules. The first rule was that there was only one King character. In response, the developers had the idea of the Xbox avatars playing the game and finding the crown to become the King. This idea was rejected by Burger King who said players could not become the King. The developers' next idea was to have one person be the King and the other players lay traps to interfere with his deliveries, but this idea was again rejected by Burger King because the King could not be exposed to any danger. With the usual hazards and competition elements of the video games removed, the developers decided upon a stealth format with no human opponents.

"Okay so here's our idea, multiple Kings are-"
"No. There is only one Burger King. There can only be one Burger King."
"o...kay... so what if the players are all trying to become the one King, and"
"No. You cannot become the Burger King. The Burger King is The Burger King."
"Alright so... there's one King... and he has to get past traps and..."
"The Burger King must not be hurt or inconvenienced in any way, he is the Burger King."

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

In order to better capture the accuracy and authenticity of the King's movements, the King was flown to Britain for motion capture for the game's production. Blitz Games' Edward Linley described Sneak King as the riskiest game concept of the project because it "is the appearance and antics of the King himself that give the game its humor and life; without him, the game simply wouldn't work. Until we had the finished King model and motion capture in the game, we couldn't be certain the concept would gel. Fortunately, the moment he went in, we knew we had created something truly unique."

"Alright we've got the prototype game here, have a look."
"That does not appear to be the Burger King, where are his loveable Burger King Antics, this is unacceptable. We will send you the real Burger King and you will put him into your computer so it will be accurate."

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Shame Boy posted:

lmao

quote:

Kate Macarthur of Advertising Age noted that, "Burger King's Sneak King video game for Xbox may not have won rave reviews, but gamers still bought more than 2 million copies."

Including Sneak King, the success of the project was noted as a key part of Burger King's 40% increase in sales during the quarter. It was affirmed by Russell Klein that Burger King attributed the majority of that success to the game project.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shame Boy posted:

Crosspostin'

I'd say "get a job, then don't do it and obstruct any coworkers you meet" but the real capitalism.png is it costs $35 a month up front to apply

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just dox the CEO and put their home up for eviction

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Shame Boy posted:

"The Burger King must not be hurt or inconvenienced in any way, he is the Burger King."

Of course not, these executives have seen movies.

"Look if people get the idea there can be multiple Burger Kings then we'll just be legitimizing competition. Pass."

"No, you can't become the Burger King, some kid in 30 years with a giant burger chain will say in an interview that they wanted to become the next Burger King from seeing the idea in a childhood game and we aren't going to give that little rear end in a top hat the inspiration to compete with my brother's nephew's son."

"No, the Burger King can't be inconvenienced, that's the symbol of our corporation and we can't have the meme that we'll ever be anything but effortlessly awesome in the public consciousness. Haven't you ever played a Forza? They don't model cosmetic damage for the same reason. Donezo, nerd."

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/BadFoxGraphics/status/1308241417190486016

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Shame Boy posted:

"Alright we've got the prototype game here, have a look."
"That does not appear to be the Burger King, where are his loveable Burger King Antics, this is unacceptable. We will send you the real Burger King and you will put him into your computer so it will be accurate."

"Alright, when is he supposed to show up?"
"The Burger King will come at night, to each of you, as you sleep. It is done."
"...not to the, uh, office?"

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

What if the burger King was a cannibal who molded His meat into a horrifying simulacra of the human form, eating sentient burgers endlessly as one part of Him rots away, millions, trillions of cows dying in horrifying conditions until animals no longer provide enough and He begins to need the flesh of man, loyal subjects long ago seduced by His corporation's mind control videogames, like Kafka meets Dead Souls.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

One; The King needs to be louder, angrier and have access to a time machine.
Two: Whenever The King is not on screen, all the other characters should be asking, "Where's The King?"

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Mameluke posted:

I'd say "get a job, then don't do it and obstruct any coworkers you meet" but the real capitalism.png is it costs $35 a month up front to apply

Get the job, then show up at the eviction site with pamphlets full of tenant protection laws, the contact information for tenant legal aid and the local Tenants' Union, and the paperwork you need to fill out to get eviction forbearance due to COVID.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Antonymous posted:

One; The King needs to be louder, angrier and have access to a time machine.
Two: Whenever The King is not on screen, all the other characters should be asking, "Where's The King?"

lmao

Also speaking of, sorta:

https://twitter.com/lukeisamazing/status/1308250055669878790?s=09

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Wrong thread capitalism bad

hatty has issued a correction as of 06:12 on Sep 22, 2020

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

majestic and regal as the leonine king of beasts, the burger king approaches an unsuspecting consumer. he is one with the hunt,serene in his sovereign knowledge of his the innermost desires of his subjects. but he must reign as a hawk amongst lesser birds, lest his majesty startle the timid, lesser beings over which his suzernity is absolute. they must be shown how much they want his product, need it inside them.

yes. you want this. my meat. my firm, whole grain buns. the most royal of sauces. just another step closer...

anyhow its amazing how a board of ceos can carefully massage a brand into the loving creepiest poo poo

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 06:59 on Sep 22, 2020

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Alobar posted:

i can't wait for the story about how people showed up to the wrong address and said "gently caress it" and "got to work" throwing some random person's poo poo out on the street

"oh, it was NORTH market street? not SOUTH market street?"

this happened many times after the 2008 real estate collapse

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Yeah I definitely remember stories of people being evicted because of either mistaken address or in some cases the bank just foreclosed even if they didn't own the mortgage

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
https://www.10tv.com/article/news/i...20-b4a77d849f78

an example of someone being foreclosed by accident

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

https://www.10tv.com/article/money/...fa-5af3f128567d

this one is worse: the bank's thugs apparently didn't look at the address and threw out some random person's stuff. when she asked for compensation the shitbag bank president gave her a hard time and demanded to see receipts for everything in the house (which would have been thrown out with everything else). they quite literally burglarized her house and told her to gently caress off

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Shame Boy posted:

This is pretty standard for marketers who've joined their own brand cult.

Some car manufacturers won't license to games because they don't want them to be driven fast. Or they won't license them to a game with realistic damage because then the cars won't be pristine forever.

Everytime I see Don Jr I say it like Khan in King of the Hill and it hits much better.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

skooma512 posted:

This is pretty standard for marketers who've joined their own brand cult.

Some car manufacturers won't license to games because they don't want them to be driven fast. Or they won't license them to a game with realistic damage because then the cars won't be pristine forever.

Yeah I think they mention that Burger King used "the Forza games aren't allowed to have body damage!" as reasoning.

Which is a real shame because we could have had a game where the king can be exploded into thousands of gibs.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Shame Boy posted:

I played all 3 of these when they came out. Sneak King really was bad.

The weird thing was the other two Burger King games, a racing game and a bumper care arena game, were actually pretty fun considering them being given out with a value meal. It's funny that they messed up the game that was most centrally branded. If I recall correctly, it was also the one they pushed the most in the commercials.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Shame Boy posted:

Yeah I think they mention that Burger King used "the Forza games aren't allowed to have body damage!" as reasoning.

Which is a real shame because we could have had a game where the king can be exploded into thousands of gibs.

Exception: The Burger King should NOT under any circumstances, be lead to a guillotine. He was given dominion over burgers by God and - hey wait where are you taking me?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

wilderthanmild posted:

I played all 3 of these when they came out. Sneak King really was bad.

The weird thing was the other two Burger King games, a racing game and a bumper care arena game, were actually pretty fun considering them being given out with a value meal. It's funny that they messed up the game that was most centrally branded. If I recall correctly, it was also the one they pushed the most in the commercials.

For some reason I vaguely remember the racing game but none of the other ones, despite definitely being in the target demographic for this whole thing (of "stoned teens") back in like 2006, which is real weird.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/MaaloufMD/status/1308394603415048193

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I knew of those games but I did not know how invested in the king they err

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/mcwm/status/1308511728834162689

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/JedMSP/status/1308250742554198017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It was better up thread with simpsons memes between slides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Len posted:

It was better up thread with simpsons memes between slides

Also the one with the simpsons memes was a tweet I got in on the ground floor of so my reply to it got a whole lotta likes :c00lbert: