Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Dang, that's a ton of sauce. :stare: Nice work!

Aren't most tomatoes acidic enough to not need any extra help even if you weren't pressure canning?

edit: big pyramid of sauce on previous page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
god drat I thought I went overboard this year. That's what...three or four hundred pounds of tomatoes?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Dang, that's a ton of sauce. :stare: Nice work!

Aren't most tomatoes acidic enough to not need any extra help even if you weren't pressure canning?

edit: big pyramid of sauce on previous page

If you're boiling water canning they're right on the edge of safe acidity and USUALLY okay, but since there's no way to be sure short of pH testing every batch (lol no), just add the acid.

But yeah if you're pressure canning who cares.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
200 lbs. 53 litre output. Really nice meaty San marzanos from the Holland marsh.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Filling up your oven with sauce filled pots to help reduce and add umami roasted flavour is such a good tip I highly highly recommend it

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Not sure who recommended the large heavy duty pots at Costco last year - they rock! I hope the volume scale on the inside lasts. Makes life a lot simpler not having to guess how many jars you need to prepare for your apple juice.

One of the dollar stores near us has been carrying standard mason Bernardin lids for less than half the price of anyone else. The boxes look like normal Bernardin boxes except for the dollar store price pre-printed in one corner. Out of several dozens we've had three defective lids, two that weren't enamaled completely and one with this weird rolled edge. Still a good deal, but we have to examine every lid now before it goes in the hot water bath. It would suck to seal a jar of pickles with an unprotected lid.

The Walrus posted:

Filling up your oven with sauce filled pots to help reduce and add umami roasted flavour is such a good tip I highly highly recommend it

That's an interesting idea, arriving just as our tomatoes are finally coming ripe. I really liked the tomatillos we roasted before freezing a couple of years ago.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Question about preserved lemons - they sound really interesting, but does it make the rinds edible or do you separate those out? Every photo I've seen has the rinds included in the jar, just wondering how that works.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Depending of how you preserve them the rinds might be the best part?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Depending of how you preserve them the rinds might be the best part?

The recipes I've seen are basically pack a jar with salt, lemon wedges (or however you want to prep them), and maybe lemon juice to fill in the gaps and ensure there's no air. Add spices if you want, but I'd try the simplest recipe first.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

Question about preserved lemons - they sound really interesting, but does it make the rinds edible or do you separate those out? Every photo I've seen has the rinds included in the jar, just wondering how that works.

I've been playing with them a little bit. They are traditionally used whole in dishes, like tagine, and you supposedly can substitute them in anywhere you would use fresh lemon, or lemon juice. You can eat them whole when the dish is fresh, and they are great. The issue I've run into is when subbing them into things like hummus or baba ghanoush, they dish gets really bitter if they sit more than an hour or two before eating. To be fair, it could be my fault, at least with the baba ghanoush, I use homegrown eggplant and they might have been excessively bitter to begin with.

I shot an email off to Milkstreet radio, asking a bunch of questions, and I'm hoping to get some answers this week, if any of it is good I'll post in the thread.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Yeah, you can totally eat the peel of preserved lemons. It’s the best part. I often cut the flesh out of preserved lemons when I use them and just mince the peel then throw it into a tagine or whatever.

The recipes I’ve seen and the preserved lemons I buy are all whole lemons, not slices, also.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Scythe posted:

Yeah, you can totally eat the peel of preserved lemons. It’s the best part. I often cut the flesh out of preserved lemons when I use them and just mince the peel then throw it into a tagine or whatever.

The recipes I’ve seen and the preserved lemons I buy are all whole lemons, not slices, also.

Interesting. The couple recipes I've seen all suggest exposing the flesh of the lemon to some extent.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yeah the peel is the only part I use and it's great. I put it on pizza a lot

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Last year, I discovered a farm near me that sells unpasteurized apple cider. Compared to the stuff sold at most grocery stores, it's utterly divine. Seriously, if you've never had the stuff, and you're able to try it, go try it. The taste is completely different. Anyway, the question I have is, is there any way at all to make cider jelly without boiling, and thus pasteurizing, the cider? The jelly would be used pretty much immediately, certainly within a week or two. I'm mostly just curious if it's at all possible.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

neogeo0823 posted:

Last year, I discovered a farm near me that sells unpasteurized apple cider. Compared to the stuff sold at most grocery stores, it's utterly divine. Seriously, if you've never had the stuff, and you're able to try it, go try it. The taste is completely different. Anyway, the question I have is, is there any way at all to make cider jelly without boiling, and thus pasteurizing, the cider? The jelly would be used pretty much immediately, certainly within a week or two. I'm mostly just curious if it's at all possible.

Well to get to the needed consistency you'd pretty much have to boil. The only other way I could think to do it would be by adding a raw starch of some kind but that would be majorly gross. Like, wretchingly gross.

Sitting here typing though I just thought of something, what about gelatin?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Literally A Person posted:

Well to get to the needed consistency you'd pretty much have to boil. The only other way I could think to do it would be by adding a raw starch of some kind but that would be majorly gross. Like, wretchingly gross.

Sitting here typing though I just thought of something, what about gelatin?

So, what, like making apple cider jello? Not exactly the consistency I was thinking of, but maybe that'd work, yeah. In a perfect world, I'd like to have something a bit more spreadable, almost like apple butter.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Made some fridge pickles carrots and radishes.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

neogeo0823 posted:

So, what, like making apple cider jello? Not exactly the consistency I was thinking of, but maybe that'd work, yeah. In a perfect world, I'd like to have something a bit more spreadable, almost like apple butter.

You can try and no cook thicken with a blender and xantham gum and/or clear jell instant, but as noted, it might get a little weird.

ickna
May 19, 2004

toplitzin posted:

You can try and no cook thicken with a blender and xantham gum and/or clear jell instant, but as noted, it might get a little weird.

xanthan gum will get you about halfway there, but getting any significant thickening out of it gives a snot like consistency in your finished product. I have had a lot of success thickening my no-cook hot sauces using a combo of xanthan gum to help thicken and keep particles in suspension, and maltodextrin to add body. I strongly recommend messing with the two using water to get a feel for the proportions and quantities needed; a little bit of xanthan goes a long way. it's also very hygroscopic and will clump if you add too much too fast to the liquid and try to stir it in. there is no recovering from it at that point, even with a blender you will have lumps of xanthan.

For a starting point, I typically use ~ 1/8 to 1/4 tsp of xanthan gum and 2-3 tbsp maltodextrin when making a 2 quart batch of sauce. mix the xanthan and maltodextrin powders and add them slowly to the liquid with a stick blender, or alternatively add the liquid very slowly to the powder while whisking to build a paste and then continue adding liquid until you get the thickness you are looking for.

I have a 1 lb bag of xanthan gum and a 5 lb bag of maltodextrin because this works so well. I blend a lot of my fermented goodies to make sauces, glacés and my own recipe for mac n cheese using dehydrated cheese powder. super useful stuff.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

neogeo0823 posted:

Well it wouldn't have to be jello exactly. Like, I'm pretty sure pannacotta uses gelatin and it could potentially be spread on something. But honestly this goon:

ickna posted:

xanthan gum will get you about halfway there, but getting any significant thickening out of it gives a snot like consistency in your finished product. I have had a lot of success thickening my no-cook hot sauces using a combo of xanthan gum to help thicken and keep particles in suspension, and maltodextrin to add body. I strongly recommend messing with the two using water to get a feel for the proportions and quantities needed; a little bit of xanthan goes a long way. it's also very hygroscopic and will clump if you add too much too fast to the liquid and try to stir it in. there is no recovering from it at that point, even with a blender you will have lumps of xanthan.

For a starting point, I typically use ~ 1/8 to 1/4 tsp of xanthan gum and 2-3 tbsp maltodextrin when making a 2 quart batch of sauce. mix the xanthan and maltodextrin powders and add them slowly to the liquid with a stick blender, or alternatively add the liquid very slowly to the powder while whisking to build a paste and then continue adding liquid until you get the thickness you are looking for.

I have a 1 lb bag of xanthan gum and a 5 lb bag of maltodextrin because this works so well. I blend a lot of my fermented goodies to make sauces, glacés and my own recipe for mac n cheese using dehydrated cheese powder. super useful stuff.

Seems like they know what the hell they are talking about.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Made some fridge pickles carrots and radishes.

This makes me want escabeche.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
So I did a green tomato, onion, and pepper ferment that I just pulled out of the crock and all my end of season green tomatoes ripened during the ferment. When it clarifies and looks pretty I’ll post a pic right now it’s still cloudy after the transfer to the half gallon ball jars.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The pressure canner that I ordered way back in July should arrive today! Anyone want to share some recipes? I'm planning to start off with chili and chicken soup, maybe do some beef stew too.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Let's make some stew!

Uhh...maybe a bit too much stew?

Yeah, my canner only fits 7 quarts.

Oh well, too much is better than too little. At least I get to eat some today instead of it all going into the jars.

Getting the heat dialed in on a pressure canner is tricky. It'll be rocking pretty well continuously, so I'll nudge the heat down 1 notch, and it'll go 2+ minutes without rocking at all, making me nervous so I push it up a bit, and the cycle repeats. Sometimes it'll be stable, rocking every 15-30 seconds, and then suddenly decide to go a long period without rocking. Other times it'll be stable and then rock continuously for 30+ seconds, making me worried that I'm losing pressure and/or going to run low on water in the canner.

Hopefully it's not a problem; I erred on the side of too much water, and the gauge is staying at or above 10PSI. And while I know the gauge is only approximate, it's brand-new from the factory so I'd hope it's still pretty accurate.

EDIT: the jars boiled over in the canner :(

As I understand it, this doesn't necessarily indicate the canning failed, just that I got the amount of headspace wrong or something? I'm still waiting for them to cool and will need to clean the outsides of the jars, but hopefully they're still properly canned, and I just have a messy canner to clean up.

EDIT 2: jeeze, the jars have been sitting out for an hour and they're still bubbling a bit. They got hot inside.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 19, 2020

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

The autumn sauerkraut is decrocked and ready to hand out to family and friends. The two-quart jar is my private stock.

Cabbage is on sale next week and I'm mulling over starting another batch.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I've had good results canning this tomato sauce using Mason jars which I boiled for half an hour once they were filled. It's the only thing I've ever done like that. Would this Bolognese sauce work? Or does the meat content make it behave differently?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Do not can a recipe that is not explicitly designed for canning.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Anjow posted:

I've had good results canning this tomato sauce using Mason jars which I boiled for half an hour once they were filled. It's the only thing I've ever done like that. Would this Bolognese sauce work? Or does the meat content make it behave differently?

Any recipe more complicated than "just tomatoes, salt, and lemon juice" needs a pressure canner, not a boiling water bath. You're risking botulism, especially with meat. You can get away with boiling water baths, sometimes for years, until you don't.

You need to follow tested recipes, ones that have been balanced for pH.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Do not can a recipe that is not explicitly designed for canning.

This but it's a giant flashing sign and there's a topless review in which show girls sing this line repeatedly.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Thanks! Freezer it is from now on then.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Be very careful freezing in Mason jars. Frozen liquids expand and this can crack the jars, introducing glass into your food, which will also kill you.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Just make sure you leave space.
Use the plastic lids for freezing they aren’t air tight.
When you heat them do so at 50 or 70 % in the microwave.
And when they do crack you’ll see it just throw them out.
Don’t use your freezing jars for canning ever.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I wouldn't be freezing it in jars, I have plenty of plastic containers for that.

If a pressure canner could be used as a cooker, or vice versa, then I'd go that route - but the brief googling I did suggests neither is true and I don't fancy having both.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Anjow posted:

If a pressure canner could be used as a cooker, or vice versa, then I'd go that route - but the brief googling I did suggests neither is true and I don't fancy having both.

American-brand pressure canners can be used as cookers, according to the manual that came with mine. Cookers aren't canners, but some canners are cookers.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

American-brand pressure canners can be used as cookers, according to the manual that came with mine. Cookers aren't canners, but some canners are cookers.

What brand is yours? I'm in the UK but was considering getting a bigger pressure cooker anyway, so if there's something that can adequately do both I'd consider it.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Anjow posted:

What brand is yours? I'm in the UK but was considering getting a bigger pressure cooker anyway, so if there's something that can adequately do both I'd consider it.

This is mine (Amazon US link but hopefully you can get something in the UK).

https://www.amazon.com/Presto-01781-23-Quart-Pressure-Canner/dp/B0000BYCFU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Anjow posted:

I wouldn't be freezing it in jars, I have plenty of plastic containers for that.

Generally after the freezer is the microwave though. Plastic doesn’t do well in the microwave and we made a decision to get away from it when we went to have kids.

Basically I tend to cook meals that have 8 to 14 servings. All the extra gets jarred and frozen. It’s really handy. I can pull out a keema, a mung dal, and a chicken tikka masala and start rice in the cooker and that’s a solid low effort meal. I tend not to have the days to devote to canning anymore. So if I’m going to I just generally get new flats of jars so I don’t have to worry about using jars I’ve used to freeze. I’d say we have like one or two break a bar from freezing, and I’m a super heavy user and have been using the jars for it for like a decade.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Anjow posted:

The brand is named "American". Sorry for not making that clear.

https://www.allamericancanner.com/All-American-15-Quart-Pressure-Canner.htm

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Generally after the freezer is the microwave though. Plastic doesn’t do well in the microwave and we made a decision to get away from it when we went to have kids.

Basically I tend to cook meals that have 8 to 14 servings. All the extra gets jarred and frozen. It’s really handy. I can pull out a keema, a mung dal, and a chicken tikka masala and start rice in the cooker and that’s a solid low effort meal. I tend not to have the days to devote to canning anymore. So if I’m going to I just generally get new flats of jars so I don’t have to worry about using jars I’ve used to freeze. I’d say we have like one or two break a bar from freezing, and I’m a super heavy user and have been using the jars for it for like a decade.

I might start doing that too - we'd like reduce our plastic use as much as possible. It would be a good use for our extra wide mouth jars. We use the standards first because the lids are significantly cheaper. I imagine a freezer only lid identified with a felt pen could be re-used for a long time.

Just need to find a felt pen whose ink will survive the dishwasher and we're good to go.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
You’ll want to use the wide mouths. They don’t recommend the standards for freezing because of the curve at the top, they’re more likely to break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Hexigrammus posted:

I might start doing that too - we'd like reduce our plastic use as much as possible. It would be a good use for our extra wide mouth jars. We use the standards first because the lids are significantly cheaper. I imagine a freezer only lid identified with a felt pen could be re-used for a long time.

Just need to find a felt pen whose ink will survive the dishwasher and we're good to go.

Lab Sharpies work better than regular sharpies, but the physical scraping by the dish detergent still wears it away with time.