Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Yeah, just put 3 wheels together and 3 source blocks above, you can even make that look like an obstructed waterfall and have the river flowing away at the bottom.
The IE waterwheel has always been my favorite starting power because it looks so nice.
And use that to power your starting Mekanism stuff to make a few windmills, which I think Valhelsia has..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

central dogma posted:

It's been a couple years since I tried them. I remembered the efficiency loss being greater than that. I'll try it out and fall back on the thermoelectric if they're still bad.

Oh I just found out the power generation from a waterwheel is capped at 30 in the latest version, which you get from the C shape. Putting weird source blocks is totally pointless now.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

So it seems that nearly every modpack I have tried recently has had Mekanism texture problems. ie all the pipes/cables are black and purple.
After much searching, multiple times, I finally found Optiforge.

It seems that Optifine borks certain things in some mods.
Optiforge works to fix these errors.
And has made my much recent modpack download much prettier without all the black/purple.

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/optiforge

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Does anyone use the Real Train Mod? I've been loving around with it but I can't figure out how to do stuff like crossover switches and such and there's not many tutorials out there

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure
RIP my second FTB Interactions world. I don't really want to restart again.

This go round, my void world chunks reset themselves, removing any placed blocks and dumping everything that was in a chest onto the ground. I could continue but it's a bit demoralizing at this point.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Flail Snail posted:

RIP my second FTB Interactions world. I don't really want to restart again.

This go round, my void world chunks reset themselves, removing any placed blocks and dumping everything that was in a chest onto the ground. I could continue but it's a bit demoralizing at this point.

That's a strange way for chunks to get reset. Usually they delete all data? Sounds more like something mined/broke all your blocks.
How do you know your chest contents got dumped onto the ground? Wouldn't your platform get erased too?

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure
You spawn on three connected platforms, one with a load of vibrant grass and your transmutation tablet, another with more vibrant grass and a bedrock underside, and a third that's a bunch of vanilla dirt. Those got reset to their initial states but everything I built in the chunks around them remained. I don't know what could have destroyed the chests as I'd assume a chunk regen would just overwrite the block and its contents with air but all of my worldly possessions were sprayed across the platform (and some were likely claimed by the void) when I loaded up the world.

I wasn't happy but I was level-headed enough to at least snap some screenshots before swearing off of the pack.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Oh, I think I know what happened. They're using some mod that builds islands in the void on demand for team play or whatever, and it decided for some reason that it needed to make your island again. Strange that the modpack has no automatic backups.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Looks like whatever spawned the platforms was initialised again somehow and overwrote what was there. The chunks themselves weren't overwritten, just the structures deleted anything else that was there and around them.

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

Modded minecraft adjacent, but Artificer (https://store.steampowered.com/app/658830/Artificer_Science_of_Magic/) released on steam yesterday. I'm only a few hours into it, but it feels like a re-imagining of blightfall while looking like Don't Starve. I'm enjoying it quite a bit, and I imagine other folks who read this thread might be interested as well.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Bann posted:

Modded minecraft adjacent, but Artificer (https://store.steampowered.com/app/658830/Artificer_Science_of_Magic/) released on steam yesterday. I'm only a few hours into it, but it feels like a re-imagining of blightfall while looking like Don't Starve. I'm enjoying it quite a bit, and I imagine other folks who read this thread might be interested as well.
Seems pretty cool, but after maybe 2 hours I've got some real questions.
First and foremost is I feel really lost. I've got some basic research and constructions down and there's nothing left to study or research. I learned some new ones by studying items (which are at least highlighted, but only after putting them in the table to begin with). But now my main quest is to make the mithridate and it needs two ingredients I've never seen, and after wandering far enough to make my tracking beacon spiral into negative numbers all I've found is mostly more of the same. Some direction or guidance on where to go next would be a nice start, especially since there's apparently not even a map. Do you ever unlock farming or renewable resources? Because I'm going through snakeweed real fast.

The economy of the game's items seems to be based on alchemy, which means brewing a series of potions for a ton of things you make. There's a basic reagent that goes into most potions which itself is made from another potion, which requires 3 ingredients plus a glass bottle that doesn't get returned, so you're spending multiple glass bottles per potion and a bunch of often-rare ingredients and they don't even last that long. I spent a lot to make a healing potion, including a carve from a very difficult enemy, and it literally only healed me as much as a super-cheap herbal bandage, and even then it did so at a much lower rate. It feels like if most items are going to be temporary and disposable they shouldn't be so drat expensive and tedious to make in the first place, because I can't imagine wanting to throw on an unspecified amount of damage resistance for 30 seconds when it'll take me so long to brew it in the first place, let alone get all the rare monster parts for it.

Lastly I researched some alchemy modifiers but there's no indication of exactly what they do and how they work. The systems aren't terribly well explained, which is a shame.

Still overall a positive experience so far but I definitely feel like I hit a wall and am hard-pressed to figure out at what point these potions become worth making for anything but crafting ingredients.

E: I've decided I don't like this game very much

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 15, 2020

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Hey so wasn't Talonos/the Blightfall team working on a new modpack at some point? I only vaguely remember hearing about this.
Did it come out and get forgotten about because it wasn't good? Did it get canceled? Did I dream it in some blight-addled haze?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Nothing happened with Talonos since Blightfall AFAIK; Blightfall 2 was supposedly in development but I haven't seen anything about that. The Technic Launcher dying off probably impacted that a lot.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
Ok I'm coming back to this game for the first time in years whats the best regarded mod packs for single player, and/or where are the best place(s) to find them/install them. I only played during the beta and have no clue on how the game's changed other than its become more rpg-like which interests me. Any help appreciated. I have the Java edition if that maters.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

get the twitch launcher, you'll probably stick on v1.12 as that's where all the mods are, and get a modpack that indicates that it guides you through its contents.

minecraft is still very much Put Block On Block, and leaping from vague memories of vanilla into a heavy modpack immediately will drive you mad. you need to get a grasp of the conventions first.

there's a pack called Peace of Mind that looks designed to teach you the mods, or there's Baby's First Space Race which might be outdated now

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

get the twitch launcher, you'll probably stick on v1.12 as that's where all the mods are, and get a modpack that indicates that it guides you through its contents.

minecraft is still very much Put Block On Block, and leaping from vague memories of vanilla into a heavy modpack immediately will drive you mad. you need to get a grasp of the conventions first.

there's a pack called Peace of Mind that looks designed to teach you the mods, or there's Baby's First Space Race which might be outdated now

Alright then thanks.

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?

Vib Rib posted:

Hey so wasn't Talonos/the Blightfall team working on a new modpack at some point? I only vaguely remember hearing about this.
Did it come out and get forgotten about because it wasn't good? Did it get canceled? Did I dream it in some blight-addled haze?

McFrugal posted:

Nothing happened with Talonos since Blightfall AFAIK; Blightfall 2 was supposedly in development but I haven't seen anything about that. The Technic Launcher dying off probably impacted that a lot.

He was working on another modpack, but seems to have lost interest and moved on to other creative endeavors (source: I know the guy IRL). Current game-related project is a proper version (ie, not RPG Maker) of this game jam game https://talonos2.itch.io/finalwinterjamversion but it's a bit stuck in development hell at the moment since it's still basically a hobby project.

He parted ways with Technic before its slow demise, but Technic still owns Blightfall so if he ever gets back into modpacks they won't be Blightfall unless that changes.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Well I wish him the best, he's clearly got a good sense for both creativity and game mechanics.
I'm sure other good modpacks will float our way eventually.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I really wish it was easier to add mods of your own to existing modpacks via Twitch. I started a promising pack today and it doesn't have vein mining :suicide:

Also I think I've just gotten allergic to modpacks. I play them for maybe 5 minutes before getting bored, if they aren't 15-minute loader monstrosities - in that case, I just don't play 'em.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

I really wish it was easier to add mods of your own to existing modpacks via Twitch. I started a promising pack today and it doesn't have vein mining :suicide:

Also I think I've just gotten allergic to modpacks. I play them for maybe 5 minutes before getting bored, if they aren't 15-minute loader monstrosities - in that case, I just don't play 'em.

Well you can always download the mod and just drop it in your folder.
Lately most modpacks i've been playing have Mekanism anyway which sorta has its own venminer, you just have to work your way up to it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Pollyanna posted:

Did they change it? Because adding your own mods is super easy. Just drop 'em into the mods folder. If you've got a custom pack you can even browse and add through the launcher itself.

Also yeah, if a pack takes more than 5 minutes to load I have issues.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Not even sure if this qualifies as modded minecraft, since it's mostly texture and resource packs, but here's a few builds i've been doing lately as my mental health slowly unravels :)

These are Mizuno's 16 craft texture pack and its accompanying CIT (custom item textures) resource pack, with Sildurs Vibrant Shaders (medium). Needs optifine for shaders and for the texture pack's connected textures to show.

Swamp Witch House:

Potter's Cottage:

Mesa House:

I did this house on a server that announced it would shut down like a moment after I was done with this

So I rushed to build a little pueblo in the surrounding area before the server closed for good, even added a little gallery/museum on the side.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Beautiful stuff! I especially love the potter's cottage exterior. Any chance you could give a rundown on what mod the various blocks are from, like the pottery, deco tiles over the doorway, curtains, etc?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I went and delved into a new modpack, specifically The Brave New World which is an exploration focused modpack with magic and science poo poo. I'm thoroughly enjoying it atm because of the insanely good cave generation it has. I haven't dug a single straight tunnel yet because every hole in the world leads to a large and complex cave system and it rules real hard.

It's missing a few key things though, so I inserted applied energistics but other than that it's really nice, doing my first foray into astral sorcery for the teleportation network.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Vib Rib posted:

Beautiful stuff! I especially love the potter's cottage exterior. Any chance you could give a rundown on what mod the various blocks are from, like the pottery, deco tiles over the doorway, curtains, etc?

All solid, stairs, wall or slab blocks are regular vanilla materials with Mizuno's 16 Craft textures.

The deco tiles over the doorway are the texture for single terracotta tiles (when connected textures are enabled, the mizuno texture pack gives all terracotta a wooden frame, and single blocks that are not adjacent to any terracotta of the same color have a rosette-like design. both of these looks are disabled by default in the mesa biome, though, since it'd make the naturally occurring terracotta formations look really weird), which can also be seen at the middle of the swamp witch house, enhanced with a painting reskin from Mizuno's CIT.

Mizuno's CIT is a uhhh... texture pack? resource pack? that circumvents the limitations on non-mod files being unable to add new blocks by assigning new models to renamed versions of vanilla blocks - you use these by using an anvil to rename a vanilla block or item to a simple alternative (wool becomes wool_0, paintings become painting_0 to painting_decor_17f, and so on, and that'll give you a decorative item that's topical to the base item you used (you can check the full catalog of decorations in the link just above). They'll only show up that way if they're placed on an item frame, though, so you'll usually also want to get a mod that makes item frames invisible, or makes both item frames and anvil renames less expensive, if you plan to use CIT decorations in survival.
All decorative items seen in the screenshots are vanilla blocks renamed on an anvil to any of the alternatives in Mizuno's CIT catalog and placed on (invisible) item frames. All the pottery, for example, is uncolored terracotta renamed to names from Terracotta_0 through Terracotta_4b.

There's also a couple of add-ons to Mizuno's CIT by other creators, that use the exact same system but add some models of their own. The most popular is Ghoulcraft. I'm not a huge fan of most of Ghoulcraft's catalog, since most of the items don't look quite as "minecrafty" as Mizuno's, but there's some pretty nifty additions here and there, and their furniture options in particular are worth a look. I think the only Ghoulcraft item I used in the above screenshots is the little wooden cornice seen in the potter's cottage just above the workshop area and on the balcony trim.

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 17, 2020

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

SexyBlindfold posted:

All solid, stairs, wall or slab blocks are regular vanilla materials with Mizuno's 16 Craft textures.
It all looks really good. Those catalogs are great, if a bit needy to actually place. So it really is almost completely non-modded? Modded in the traditional sense, I mean.
I miss the simple pleasures of building. Might be time to fire up a Vanilla+ modpack and Mizuno's. I think Quark can do invisible (and ground-placed) item frames, too.

I meant to ask, what version are you playing?

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 17, 2020

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Vib Rib posted:

drat, this is wild. So it really is almost completely non-modded? Modded in the traditional sense, I mean.
I miss the simple pleasures of building. Might be time to fire up a Vanilla+ modpack and Mizuno's. I think Quark can do invisible (and ground-placed) item frames, too.

I meant to ask, what version are you playing?

I'm currently using 1.16.1 + optifine, all Mizuno/CIT files are either updated for it or are older but perfectly compatible. I followed this basic tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIts7UX5Sik

And yeah, no mods involved other than the invisible frames (and optifine, I guess). A problem with using mods (that is, actual moddy moddity mods) along with texture packs is that any new blocks or items are going to be a stark mismatch for the looks of the texture pack, since by definition TPs can only alter the appearance of vanilla blocks unless they go out of their way to include specific modded assets. I think the 1.12.2 version of Mizuno's has full texture support for Biomes O'Plenty, but you'd have to find the extra files somewhere in their japanese blog.
I think my ideal modpack would be the basic mizuno + CIT setup, plus maybe quark, and one of the pixel-sculpting mods like Chisel&Bits or LittleTiles, but I'm afraid I'd have to go all the way back to 1.12.2 to get compatibility on that front.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

OgNar posted:

Well you can always download the mod and just drop it in your folder.
Lately most modpacks i've been playing have Mekanism anyway which sorta has its own venminer, you just have to work your way up to it.

Or if you don't want to mess with folders:

In Twitch, open your Minecraft Modpackss

Choose the modpack

Under modpack options, uncheck Locked

Click 'Get More Content'

Now you have a list of all mods - install the ones you want, and they should show up in your modpack.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

what are these plaaanntttssss

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Xun posted:

what are these plaaanntttssss

They're CIT decoration items! You rename saplings on an anvil to the corresponding name in the Mizuno CIT Catalog (I think these are oak, spruce and birch) and then place the renamed items on (invisible) item frames. Since they behave the same as any item on an item frame would behave under normal circumstances, you can rotate them by 45 degrees by right-clicking them. I think the catalog's biggest variety is in plants - you've got all sorts of different variations of vines, wall ivy, potted plants, wall-hanging pots, etc

The small plant on top of the ceramic vase is just what normal potted birch saplings look like with mizuno's texture pack (the vase itself is another CIT item though)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Devor posted:

Or if you don't want to mess with folders:

In Twitch, open your Minecraft Modpackss

Choose the modpack

Under modpack options, uncheck Locked

Click 'Get More Content'

Now you have a list of all mods - install the ones you want, and they should show up in your modpack.

Oh jesus is that what that does? I had no idea what was supposed to be locked. Thanks!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Demiurge4 posted:

I went and delved into a new modpack, specifically The Brave New World which is an exploration focused modpack with magic and science poo poo. I'm thoroughly enjoying it atm because of the insanely good cave generation it has. I haven't dug a single straight tunnel yet because every hole in the world leads to a large and complex cave system and it rules real hard.

It's missing a few key things though, so I inserted applied energistics but other than that it's really nice, doing my first foray into astral sorcery for the teleportation network.

I loaded this pack up and holy poo poo, it chugs. I've got a pretty decent rig that runs other modpacks perfectly well, so something is real weird about this one.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

is it the old mipmapping-turned-on issue? (if it's on, turn it off, see if that helps)

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It chugged a bunch for me but the twitch launcher only gives it 2gb RAM per default so once I pumped it up to 8gb it was fine.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Demiurge4 posted:

It chugged a bunch for me but the twitch launcher only gives it 2gb RAM per default so once I pumped it up to 8gb it was fine.

I thought you weren't supposed to go above like 4-5gb?

(I should upgrade to 32gb, now that I think about it.)

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Depends on the pack and if you're using a tex pack. You want to be using just enough with 10% extra. For a big pack like PO3 with a high res tex pack that's ~9gb, for example.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Older versions of minecraft had serious issues if you gave it a lot of RAM, even if the modpack needed it. That's not as much of an issue nowadays, but you still shouldn't give it a large excess.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

SexyBlindfold posted:

They're CIT decoration items! You rename saplings on an anvil to the corresponding name in the Mizuno CIT Catalog (I think these are oak, spruce and birch) and then place the renamed items on (invisible) item frames. Since they behave the same as any item on an item frame would behave under normal circumstances, you can rotate them by 45 degrees by right-clicking them. I think the catalog's biggest variety is in plants - you've got all sorts of different variations of vines, wall ivy, potted plants, wall-hanging pots, etc

The small plant on top of the ceramic vase is just what normal potted birch saplings look like with mizuno's texture pack (the vase itself is another CIT item though)

drat that mod looks awesome. Definitely motivation to switch from 1.12 modpacks, I wonder if chisels and bits or little tiles have caught up yet :v:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Mapgoons have been running a server for a few weeks and it's pretty popular with a bunch of first time players. We ended up on Mechs and Magic Lite for the first foray but now we're shopping around for another multiplayer friendly pack and looking for suggestions.

We're looking to build a player city next time around instead of scattering to the four winds and decorative mods are in. We're probably ditching Thaumcraft 6 :rip: in order to move to a newer version of the game so if anyone knows of good packs for 1.16 or maybe a little earlier that'd be greatly appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

What's a decent launcher these days? I've prodded at a few and I think I like GDLauncher most but for all I know there's a huge and important one out there used by 90% of the playerbase I have no clue about.