Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Father Wendigo posted:

Good news, guys! Hillary has got this covered:

She starts out strong with that first step and reall nails the ending with "Yeah, we're probably screwed."

I mean, she isn't wrong. Better to try something than just give up entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tigersklaw
May 8, 2008

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I mean, she isn't wrong. Better to try something than just give up entirely.

Perhaps she could have tried to run a competent campaign

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Father Wendigo posted:

Good news, guys! Hillary has got this covered:

She starts out strong with that first step and reall nails the ending with "Yeah, we're probably screwed."

"God's foot crushes Trump and McConnell, like in Monty Python" would be a much more realistic first step.

Edit: 'Focus on actually trying to win the presidency and senate' would be a useful first step towards something, but of course that was never something Clinton was very interested in.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 20, 2020

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
So what will be the reaction when we have a nomination before a burial?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
finger waggling, what else?

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

fosborb posted:

So what will be the reaction when we have a nomination before a burial?

Irrelevant. Anyone tuned into politics enough to care about Supreme Court seats, actually have policy preferences that override :decorum:.

But to answer your question, right wing media turns out the vote for the last 10 republicans who haven't gone Trump yet, centrist media points out the hypocrisies without advocating any solutions other than "vote and wait 30 years", and the left media goes "really, I'm going to endorse Biden now, despite knowing that the seat will be filled before Thanksgiving?"

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
I looked for half an hour using the NYT article search and I could not find any quotation from him in an article dated 2016 where he says that the nomination should have been deferred specifically because the senate and presidency were different parties. Does anyone have an example of that?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Whether or not he said that is irrelevant. If he did say it, it just means he had foresight enough to craft a bullshit statement. If he didn't, it won't change a single person's mind, since anyone claiming that they're with him on the basis of that statement is lying, either outwardly or inwardly.

Unless you can compel them to stick with their prior statements via force of law its all moot.

(also, no i dont have an example of them saying that)

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

McConnell very much implied that he was enforcing a rule of not having an appointment so close to an election. He made a big effort to paint it as enforcing existing senate traditions and explicitly tied it to Joe Biden's objection to holding appointment hearings close to an election (which was motivated by a concern that senators running for re-election wouldn't have enough time to do that and properly vet candidates).

He also made comments that this was relevant because the midterms had returned a republican senate (because McConnell is smart enough to know that he might need a weasel in years to come).

The former arguments were because he knew that baldly stating that a Republican senate would just refuse to seat a democratic nominee would be too obviously damaging to the legitimacy of the process and obstructing garland was a hail Mary play where everyone expected Clinton to be there next president. Baldly stating that the seat would remain vacant until either three next republican president or democrats winning back the senate would likely have been seen as too motivating to democrats and possibly provoked Obama to actually push something through. The latter argument was his hedge in case exactly what just happened, happened. He's got sound bites in the record justifying his two positions.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

tigersklaw posted:

Perhaps she could have tried to run a competent campaign

Do you think she lost to Trump on purpose or something? I'm gonna assume that Hillary did want to win, and that she did attempt to run a competent campaign because she wanted to win. She failed but no one succeeds at everything they try and political campaigns are not easy. If you think you could have done much better I'd suggest looking into becoming a campaign manager, there are many potential leftist candidates who I'm sure could use a good campaign manager.

tigersklaw
May 8, 2008

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Do you think she lost to Trump on purpose or something? I'm gonna assume that Hillary did want to win, and that she did attempt to run a competent campaign because she wanted to win. She failed but no one succeeds at everything they try and political campaigns are not easy. If you think you could have done much better I'd suggest looking into becoming a campaign manager, there are many potential leftist candidates who I'm sure could use a good campaign manager.

Ignoring the Midwest while trying to run up the score in California or places she was never going to win seemed foolish at the time, but what do I know, I’m not a campaign manager. Also, this isn’t the election thread, so I don’t mean to rehash old poo poo in here, I’m sorry

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

tigersklaw posted:

Ignoring the Midwest while trying to run up the score in California or places she was never going to win seemed foolish at the time, but what do I know, I’m not a campaign manager. Also, this isn’t the election thread, so I don’t mean to rehash old poo poo in here, I’m sorry

I'm fairly certain the primary reason for trips to California were fundraisers, the rallies being a secondary while we're here thing.

Flater
Oct 20, 2006

Ask me about sucking Batman's dick

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

She did not try to court voters, she patronizingly and arrogantly expected them to just fall in line and losing was the cost of her pride.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Flater posted:

She did not try to court voters, she patronizingly and arrogantly expected them to just fall in line and losing was the cost of her pride.

So you're saying she wanted to lose? I remember a lot of campaign ads and such from her while she was running, what were those for if not to try to convince people to vote for her? Her campaign spent a ton of money, where dd it go exactly if not to various efforts to get people to vote for her? I'm not saying that her ads and other efforts were effective, they clearly were not effective enough or we would not be having this conversation, but I don't think it can be disputed that she did attempt to win the election.

Also every time I hear about how patronizing and arrogantly Hillary did everything I can't help but remember hearing those exact criticisms from the right wing continually directed at Hillary and basically every other woman from the democratic party for as long as women have been in politics. I guess their propaganda was really effective since it seems to be accepted fact across most of the political spectrum. :sigh:

Anyway, that's the last I have to say about this, we really should not be having this discussion in the SCOTUS thread.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

So you're saying she wanted to lose? I remember a lot of campaign ads and such from her while she was running, what were those for if not to try to convince people to vote for her? Her campaign spent a ton of money, where dd it go exactly if not to various efforts to get people to vote for her? I'm not saying that her ads and other efforts were effective, they clearly were not effective enough or we would not be having this conversation, but I don't think it can be disputed that she did attempt to win the election.

You do know that various people in the Democratic party get paid a cut of every ad buy they make right? That's the entire reason they love TV ads so much: it's how they personally enrich themselves. So yeah, the answer to that question is basically 'legal embezzlement.' That's what they were for, that's where the money went.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
People are very upset at Hillary and RBG for things that Mitch McConnell has done.

:thunk:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

we really should not be having this discussion in the SCOTUS thread.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

People are very upset at Hillary and RBG for things that Mitch McConnell has done.

Mitch is a piece of poo poo, but he could be replaced any time by the Senate Republicans. He's their lightning rod, untouchable in Kentucky, and they love him for it. It might serve us better to stop just hitting the lightning rod with our rage and maybe try to hit his enablers in the Senate. How? I have no idea.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

How? I have no idea.

McConnell doesn't need to leave the Senate to lose power, if he becomes the minority leader through other republicans getting knocked out he loses most of his ability to obstruct

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

haveblue posted:

McConnell doesn't need to leave the Senate to lose power, if he becomes the minority leader through other republicans getting knocked out he loses most of his ability to obstruct

Not really even then. It depends on if the democrats allow him to have the power to obstruct.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

haveblue posted:

2022 flips again, he's right back on top, smirking his turtley smirk and pulling the lever that ends America.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Lemniscate Blue posted:

2022 flips again, he's right back on top, smirking his turtley smirk and pulling the lever that ends America.

Would be harder to gain that power back since the Millenials become the primary voting force, with at least 60% identifying as democrats.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Well yeah, and he could win another election after a loss too. He won't go away permanently unless he dies or gets thrown in prison or something, but that's not quite what the question was. And yes, politics can change in the meantime to make it more difficult for him to mount his comeback or be effective if it succeeds.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is this mess the thing that will get Biden to agree legalizing weed is a good thing? He's gotta adopt some kind of exciting policy to drive voters to the polls...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
hello let's please move discussion that is not particularly about SCOTUS to places that are not the SCOTUS thread

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

I saw Pelosi mentioned that "all options were on the table, even impeachment" to block a potential nominee. How is that supposed to work, does an impeachment take priority over a potential nomination?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Father Wendigo posted:

I saw Pelosi mentioned that "all options were on the table, even impeachment" to block a potential nominee. How is that supposed to work, does an impeachment take priority over a potential nomination?

Technically yes, practically no.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

The Senate majority sets its own rules for business. If the existing ones say that an impeachment trial is higher priority than considering a court nomination, the House can submit articles of impeachment and the Senate either have to deal with those first, or hold a procedural vote to set new rules. I have no idea if there is a forced priority already or if it's at the discretion of the majority leader or vice president.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
According to this page they only have until Oct 9 to confirm. What exactly what the steps to confirm a judge, how long each would take, and can they be done by the date the Senate goes to recess?

If the House can send over articles of impeachment then why can't the House send over any other piece of paper that the Senate has to deal with first? Is there anything other than articles that the House can send over to delay the confirmation hearings?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
McConnell has no shame, I don't think he'll care about random attempts to trip him up on procedural poo poo even if the senate didn't set its own rules of business.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Don’t overthink this. There will be a vote either before the election or during the lame duck and Democrats can’t stop it. They can only pack in response in 2021.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Even if you do get anal about it all he has to say is 'okay it's the priority, now while we wait for witnesses and all to be heard let's have a vote'.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Vino posted:

According to this page they only have until Oct 9 to confirm. What exactly what the steps to confirm a judge, how long each would take, and can they be done by the date the Senate goes to recess?

If the House can send over articles of impeachment then why can't the House send over any other piece of paper that the Senate has to deal with first? Is there anything other than articles that the House can send over to delay the confirmation hearings?

The Oct 9 recess date isn’t set in stone; if the Senate wants to stay in longer it can.

There’s nothing the House can send over that the Senate can’t dispose of pro forma in 15 minutes (including impeachment) if they want to force through a nominee. And if there was, the Senate would just nuke the rule requiring them to.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Parrotine posted:

Would be harder to gain that power back since the Millenials become the primary voting force, with at least 60% identifying as democrats.

The thing is, the courts haven't grown for decades despite the country's expansion and we need dozens if not hundreds of additional judges.

So get a Dem Senate and Biden in the WH, and pass a bill that results in Biden adding a few hundred more judges to the court and not just the SCOTUS. The SCOTUS absolutely should be expanded to 13+ and if the Dems retake the Senate and WH perhaps they will finally be angry enough to drop the :decorum: for a minute or two to fix the judiciary so that the Federalist Society's activists don't get to undo what progress has been made in the last century.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Jaxyon posted:

This is pretty sexist tbh.

Women can be selfish and short-sighted, too.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Kalman posted:

There’s nothing the House can send over that the Senate can’t dispose of pro forma in 15 minutes (including impeachment) if they want to force through a nominee. And if there was, the Senate would just nuke the rule requiring them to.
Does it matter who is on the Senate rules committee here?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ShadowHawk posted:

Does it matter who is on the Senate rules committee here?

No. None of the senate rules matter because republicans can change or suspend them with a majority vote. The senate could have an up and down vote on an appointment tomorrow if they wanted.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Rigel posted:

The supreme court themselves, and they would not be wrong.

I think the most important thing to understand about interpretations of law is that there is no right or wrong. There's just what you can enforce. Nobody gives a poo poo about what the words on the actual document say, and everyone in 2020 should understand this by now.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Evil Fluffy posted:

The thing is, the courts haven't grown for decades despite the country's expansion and we need dozens if not hundreds of additional judges.

So get a Dem Senate and Biden in the WH, and pass a bill that results in Biden adding a few hundred more judges to the court and not just the SCOTUS. The SCOTUS absolutely should be expanded to 13+ and if the Dems retake the Senate and WH perhaps they will finally be angry enough to drop the :decorum: for a minute or two to fix the judiciary so that the Federalist Society's activists don't get to undo what progress has been made in the last century.

That seems like the best approach to me as well. As part of a wider judicial reform bill, it wouldn't look as bad to expand SCOTUS and it is much easier to justify. I hope that the House can take the lead on this and they seem to be warming up to the idea:

quote:

Jerry Nadler, chairman of the House judiciary committee, tweeted: “If McConnell and Senate Republicans were to force through a nominee during the lame duck session – before a new Senate and president can take office – then the incoming Senate should immediately move to expand the supreme court.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
If we're working under the premise that Dems have a spine (lol) and that Republicans can't be allowed any power (active or obstructionist) until they reform and actually want to govern (lol), would the following plan make sense if Dems can recapture the Senate and Presidency?

1. Pack the courts (suggestion from the prior post sounds good)
2. Nuke the legislative filibuster
3. Grant statehood to every option possible (DC/PR) to water down R-leaning support in senate (and the electoral college to a lesser extent)

Once these are done, go on a "democracy protection" legislative spree - anti-suppression, anti-gerrymandering, anti-dark money, anti-PAC,media (especially social media) regulation, etc. Also, maybe pass some progressive stuff that might actually make people support dems (universal healthcare, UBI, other social services, etc).

This is all a pipe dream since the Dems are decorum-obsessed and hate progressive policies too, but if you actually wanted progress would this be the best option currently available?