Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I thought she kept the age thing from coming up by “retiring”, leaving the public eye for a period of time while delegating, and then introducing the new pope Rhea XX. Also there’s the part where her being a space dragon in humanoid form as the explanation is so loving crazy that most people probably just go, “well, it can’t actually be that something like that is the reason they all look/sound/act the same”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think it' just a plot hole tbh

I don't disagree, but it's always more fun to come up with an in universe answer than dismissing it.

AlternateNu posted:

DLC Edit: Also, Hapi officially has the best tea time quote. Yeah, I know I'm buff under this. What of it? :smug:

Hapi in general gets some fantastic quotes. "Relax. You're dead" is by far the best combat quote I've seen.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

the real 3h experience is staring at preparations for 30 minutes, starting the map and immediately noticing 10 things you should've done

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Also burning divine pulse charges on adjusting your positioning and equipped weapons to optimize support gains.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

also the real 3h experience: I "played" the game for 3-4 hours but 75% of it was me just mindlessly staring at menus. i completed one battle and afterwards was immediately way too exhausted to continue playing.

the battle was anna's paralogue on maddening (CF version) by the way which i'd heard horror stories about but it was surprisingly not much trouble at all. downright gentle compared to the wolves' paralogues. the bow knight reinforcements are quite rude but you only need to see them once to know what's up and stay away from the corners of the map on reinforcement turns. the rest of the enemies meanwhile are quite willing to be baited into moving all at once as nice squads that are ripe for gambiting.

E. i just checked a wiki and ah, i see now, the real horror must be the part 1 version of this chapter which still has rude bow knights but your units suck more

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 22, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

holy poo poo i found the best twitter account https://twitter.com/tastygarregmach/status/1291492536784171009
just started a few months back and with a *criminally* low amount of followers

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
So I was replaying the game and noticed something about the greenhouse that I hadn't noticed in my previous four playthroughs...

https://twitter.com/wmm_ebooks/status/1308567048411213830?s=19

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

wow no one told me Insurmountable (edelgard's paralogue) was going to have 4 wyvern riders spawning in, endlessly, on every single turn

currently heavily debating whether i want to try to futilely make a grab for the treasure or just stride over to the boss

this really feels like a map that should have a "survive for x turns" objective, honestly. endless reinforcements are a fine tradition on those kinds of maps but it's very rude on a kill boss map. or at the very least the boss should come over to you if you wait it out for long enough.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Amppelix posted:

wow no one told me Insurmountable (edelgard's paralogue) was going to have 4 wyvern riders spawning in, endlessly, on every single turn

currently heavily debating whether i want to try to futilely make a grab for the treasure or just stride over to the boss

this really feels like a map that should have a "survive for x turns" objective, honestly. endless reinforcements are a fine tradition on those kinds of maps but it's very rude on a kill boss map. or at the very least the boss should come over to you if you wait it out for long enough.
yeah if you're on maddening this can be real tough. you need to have a couple of evasion tanks up and running. it took me three or four tries to get through this since my comp was less than ideal.

Zane fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 25, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

speaking of reinforcements! how in the gently caress are you supposed to deal with crimson flower endgame's falcon knight reinforcements that ambush you from the sides and one-round probably most of your team!!!

it really seems to me that the best method here is to not trigger them in the first place, which always makes me feel like something went terribly wrong in the map design phase. these falcons spawn in such a rude location that they could really stand to appear on player phase so you can at least do something about them.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Amppelix posted:

how in the gently caress are you supposed to deal with crimson flower endgame's falcon knight reinforcements that ambush you from the sides and one-round probably most of your team!!!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

no

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Amppelix posted:

speaking of reinforcements! how in the gently caress are you supposed to deal with crimson flower endgame's falcon knight reinforcements that ambush you from the sides and one-round probably most of your team!!!

it really seems to me that the best method here is to not trigger them in the first place, which always makes me feel like something went terribly wrong in the map design phase. these falcons spawn in such a rude location that they could really stand to appear on player phase so you can at least do something about them.

They get triggered very specifically. The ones on the flanking sides trigger when you kill the appropriate mid boss in the center section and the rear ones on entering the final area. They're not great, but once you've gotten them once you can trigger them in a position to immediately jump them pretty easy.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

yeah after i got extremely owned by them i of course checked what the trigger was (i play fire emblem with a wiki open at all times anyway) but these specific ones are really bad because unless you have no characters down the side routes, evading their threat range is practically impossible (without running headfirst into some more enemies). i don't want the map to punish me for actually engaging with the intended mechanics!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Not the most generic but basically I deal with them by having a couple of bow units. Bernie and Shamir (cause gotta get that unique dialogue) and then Petra assassin can use a bow too. I also focused on the side then center for pushing, since I'm not trying to set a speed record or anything.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
IIRC, I lured them in with someone sturdy enough to take the initial hit, and locked them down with gambits. I think I had to roll back several turns to find a position where they wouldn't butcher my mages, because it's been a long-rear end time since I played that chapter, but I still remember them being the most frustrating enemy that didn't force a reset.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Amppelix posted:

yeah after i got extremely owned by them i of course checked what the trigger was (i play fire emblem with a wiki open at all times anyway) but these specific ones are really bad because unless you have no characters down the side routes, evading their threat range is practically impossible (without running headfirst into some more enemies). i don't want the map to punish me for actually engaging with the intended mechanics!

I remember those being pretty tough. It kind of all comes down to how you built your team I guess. I had Byleth on one side who drew the Pegasus knights and destroyed them and Ferdinand, Bernie, and Shamir took the other side with my dodge tank Dancer Ferdinand drawing the knights and the archers cleaning them up. I definitely had to Divine Pulse a bunch to find the right positioning to get only Byleth and Ferdie engaged.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

that's another thing, i have like exactly two units who can even survive a round of combat with the falcon knights, let alone multiple! I guess my team's pretty underpowered overall since i decided to do all the funky builds i always think about on this playthrough like gremory bernie and dark flier edelgard

i ended up just not triggering them since it's so easy to just walk past poor Gilbert. but yeah my takeaway is that those are probably the rudest ambush reinforcements this series has ever seen. we talk about how some reinforcement spawns are pretty much just a divine pulse tax but those murderknights are 100% exactly and only there to eat like five divine pulses.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

oh yeah and i guess that means i finally beat a maddening playthrough! woohoo!! never doing that again!!!

i enjoyed it, but my style of play in fire emblem is already so slow and methodical even on easier difficulties that when i'm making actually hard decisions at all times, my play slows down to the crawliest crawl you've ever seen and i get massive fatigue after playing for just a bit.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I think in the Claude paralogue in my maddening playthough I had to block some Wyvern Lord spawns on the edge of the map just so I could focus on the boss long enough to kill him.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I'm playing Verdant Wind for the second time (new+) and this is definitely my favorite cast. There are some characters I like in all of the houses, but I feel like this is the house whose personalities most naturally complement each other and gel together over the course of the game.

I'm also going to try an experiment and see if I can get Lysithea's horse riding up high enough to make her a Valkyrie before the game ends. (I wish I had thought of it sooner.)

She already has the staff that extends her magic range from Lorenz's paralogue, and she got her reason skill high enough to get another range +1, and I just noticed that the Valkyrie also gets range +1 for reason magic.

It might be a little late in this playthrough to do any major experiments--I'm still in the beginning of the post-time skip, but so many characters have skills that are still at E--but I think in my next playthrough, I want to try some much more experimental builds.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Inu posted:

I'm also going to try an experiment and see if I can get Lysithea's horse riding up high enough to make her a Valkyrie before the game ends. (I wish I had thought of it sooner.)

She already has the staff that extends her magic range from Lorenz's paralogue, and she got her reason skill high enough to get another range +1, and I just noticed that the Valkyrie also gets range +1 for reason magic.

I made Lysithea a Valkyrie in my CF NG+ maddening run and she was amazing. In addition to the extra range that you mentioned, Canto is great for sniping stuff and scooting back to safety. The best thing about Valkyrie Lysithea though was Uncanny Blow, from mastering the class. The +30 hit meant that she had a 100% chance to hit with Luna and Hades.

I doubt you'll have time to get it high enough since you're starting her with riding late, but the Movement +1 from A+ rank riding is also handy. Maybe you can get it if you have her on another playthrough.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I have Valkyrie Annie right now, holding Thyrsus, and she's incredibly good, Lysithea will be even better.

Valkyrie is honestly the best thing to happen to the game and I just don't understand the gender gating. Let Hubert Ride a Pegasus already

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Yeah, I've had two games where I had Linhardt, and I'm on my third one with him now, and it's always kind of like, well what do I do with him once he's mastered priest, mage, bishop, AND warlock? I've never actually planned ahead with riding and lances and gotten him into either dark knight or holy knight. I think last playthrough I just gave him a movement ring and left him in Warlock. He did well enough with that.

I think next playthrough I have him, I'm going to train him in punching so that he can become a war monk. It'll make his supports with Caspar funnier if nothing else.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Inu posted:

Yeah, I've had two games where I had Linhardt, and I'm on my third one with him now, and it's always kind of like, well what do I do with him once he's mastered priest, mage, bishop, AND warlock? I've never actually planned ahead with riding and lances and gotten him into either dark knight or holy knight. I think last playthrough I just gave him a movement ring and left him in Warlock. He did well enough with that.

I think next playthrough I have him, I'm going to train him in punching so that he can become a war monk. It'll make his supports with Caspar funnier if nothing else.

It's an absolute travesty that he can't be a gremory. Punchardt sounds really fun though. His dad could never

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

eating only apples posted:

It's an absolute travesty that he can't be a gremory. Punchardt sounds really fun though. His dad could never

It would really fit his personality too if he could choose female-only classes.

"Linhardt, you can't be a gremory. Only women can do that."

"I'm interested in doing it and I don't care what any of you think about that."

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Inu posted:

It would really fit his personality too if he could choose female-only classes.

"Linhardt, you can't be a gremory. Only women can do that."

"I'm interested in doing it and I don't care what any of you think about that."

Extremely on brand. Linhardt only gives a poo poo when it benefits him, and yet isn't out for glory or money, he just wants to learn. It's always a joy when after Jeralt dies everyone is giving condolences and he's like "hmm... how can I loot the holy tomb out of this. Oh sorry about your dad but also, wanna help?"

I love him and I love his relationship with Caspar who is his exact opposite

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Dark Knight is one of Lys' best class options, You can do Valk into that if you unlock the +Range option from raising her Reason Skill high enough or just stick with Valk.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I've actually never tried Dark Knight until this game. I got Lorenz into it in the last chapter.

I think I always avoided it because I saw that I needed riding AND lances on units that would not be using either of those things for most of the game assuming I went the typical monk -> mage/priest -> warlock/bishop route.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I can't really see Dark Knight being better than Gremory or Dark flier on Lysithea. The former gives double spells which is ridiculous because of double warp, the latter gives far better movement.

Amppelix posted:

The answer for me would either be Leonie oneshotting them on counterhit or setting up a Caspar with huge amounts of defense to just tank the beating.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Natural 20 posted:

I can't really see Dark Knight being better than Gremory or Dark flier on Lysithea.

I struggle with seeing it make sense to say a DLC class invalidates the legitimacy of Dark Knight as an option for Lys, but besides that I dont see Dark Flier Lys being as mindblowing as people keep hyping it up to be. Flying is good but it brings nothing to help keep her offensively consistent in the way Dark Knight or even Gremory does, and I'd rather have her continue to one round if possible.

As an aside. I said "one of" her best classes for a reason, because Gremory and warp do exist

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dark/holy knight were already kinda bad and way worse than gremory for the girls

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yeah I can see tome faire carrying Dorothea a bit where she really loves it because her mag growth isn't the best, but Lysithea? She shouldn't need it to one round.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

dark/holy knight were already kinda bad and way worse than gremory for the girls

Dark Knights a fine class, canto is good, seven move is good +7 attack built in whether you're using Black or Dark magic is good. Holy Knight is only bad if a character doesn't have a good offensive white magic list, which is 99% of them but not Lys funny enough.

Eimi posted:

Yeah I can see tome faire carrying Dorothea a bit where she really loves it because her mag growth isn't the best, but Lysithea? She shouldn't need it to one round.

What? Lys can easily end up struggling to one round.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 29, 2020

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Rimusutera posted:

What? Lys can easily end up struggling to one round.

Maybe I'm just lucky but across the four runs I've used Lysithea (both GD and CF on both hard and maddening) she has never even come close to struggling to one round. She has always been absurdly powerful and not needed the extra damage from tomefaire.

Honestly, comparing non-DLC classes I think that doubling her uses of Luna, Hades, and Dark Spikes is more valuable than tomefaire in terms of raw power, even ignoring her excellent white magic.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Tomefaire isnt the only factor here, Gremory has 5 Magic built in, to Dark Knights 2 + Tomefaires. I'm not arguing her offensive capability hinges on Tomefaire. She gets non of this from Dark Flier though. +0 Attack.

Gremory's +5 Mag is also good for its actual main consideration for her going it, Warp because that factors into it Warp Range but 'Faires dont, but also helps her combat. However, if you're relying on Warp Lysithea she really ends up seeing less combat (you're cheesing or shes out of the action but throwing people around to problem solve so to speak) Dark Knight is there if you want a mobile attacker forcus'd on her Reason list.

This argument is weird over all. I never said Gremory wasn't one of, if not the, best class for her because if we're being honest Warp is her best feature, I said Dark Knight is one of her best classes, and it easily is. What else is she good as? Surprisingly a lot, but those increasingly ignore her best features for combat only.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 29, 2020

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
who cares, weeb Lysithea forever

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I made this and I forgot why but I wanted to share it

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/whimsycottt/status/1310413762269032449?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Danaru posted:

I made this and I forgot why but I wanted to share it

I was trying to think of who they could be talking to, and Lorenz immediately came to mind.

...except I can't imagine Ralph actually telling anyone to shut the gently caress up. Even Lorenz.