Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Ms Adequate posted:

I have only clapped in the cinema at the end of the movie

I clapped when the plane lands, is that ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

There was a degree of hyperbole in the post tou quoted OP.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
Peston astonished, astonished, to find that the No. 10 spokesperson has both stolen his nose and pulled a penny from behind his ear

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Oodles posted:

It's equally bad, in that it's not bad just weird.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Was everyone in the thread last night drunk.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Pistol_Pete posted:

Was everyone in the thread last night drunk.

I was.

Had a strange weekend really, seasons are changing, everyone's back seemed to be up, I felt it was the last weekend I could do normal things like see my girlfriend or go somewhere until possibly January or February. I'm hoping it won't be that long but I was mentally preparing for it.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Labour supports Tory policy now and the SCG are a bit melty and join in with it, sorry to break it to you

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So loving poo poo

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1307799352417624068?s=19

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Anneliese Dodds understanding the value of money:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Just lol at anyone still in this poo poo party.

They claim to be Keynesians but gently caress me, you spend when the economy is bad like right now. Utter cretins

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I clapped when the dude got the million-pound question right on "Who Wants To Be A... Millionaire a few weeks ago.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol check the date

https://twitter.com/RussianEmbassy/status/865512682270605312?s=19

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It’s a misleading headline. If you read the article it’s more about the Tories spunking shitloads of cash on poo poo like the track and trace app that goes nowhere. I.e. it’s a competence thing, and she then proposes more (better) spending.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Oodles posted:

This only ever happened when i was flying to Italy one time, struck me as a little odd. Not crashing should be the bare minimum service to expect from a flight, applauding it feels almost condescending.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Dead Goon posted:

I clapped when the dude got the million-pound question right on "Who Wants To Be A... Millionaire a few weeks ago.

JEREMY CLORKSHON, GIVVIMA ROUND OF APPLAWSH

Are Dodds and starmer related? They have that same skelp arse hue and single expression of bewilderment

crispix fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Sep 21, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

It’s a misleading headline. If you read the article it’s more about the Tories spunking shitloads of cash on poo poo like the track and trace app that goes nowhere. I.e. it’s a competence thing, and she then proposes more (better) spending.

It's bad messaging

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

One thing about the track and trace app - if say my housemate went to a pub then a day later got a text saying he had been in contact with someone with covid-19 and to self-isolate for 14 days, then I had to self-isolate for 14 days too - would another text then be sent to everyone I had been in contact with (at work for example); if everyone had the app how does the system not just overload by texting person A connected to person B connected to person C etc. ?

I'm guessing it only contacts people who have been in contact within a certain timeframe, but if there was no lockdown and we were all mingling wouldn't the track and trace app propagate similar to a virus and we'd all be isolating anyway?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dogatron posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

One should think hard before insulting a Scotsman for wearing a skirt and no knickers, because in Scotland the thistles grow waist high. :colbert:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dead Goon posted:

That was such bollocks. The last contestant of the series, whose brother recently won a huge amount, who Jeremy kept foreshadowing would do well. Coincidence yeah?

The fix is in lads, where's my million?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

justcola posted:

One thing about the track and trace app - if say my housemate went to a pub then a day later got a text saying he had been in contact with someone with covid-19 and to self-isolate for 14 days, then I had to self-isolate for 14 days too - would another text then be sent to everyone I had been in contact with (at work for example); if everyone had the app how does the system not just overload by texting person A connected to person B connected to person C etc. ?

I'm guessing it only contacts people who have been in contact within a certain timeframe, but if there was no lockdown and we were all mingling wouldn't the track and trace app propagate similar to a virus and we'd all be isolating anyway?
My understanding is that if person A has tested positive, everybody who's been near them (person B) will get a text. Person C won't get a text until person B gets a confirmed positive test and marks themselves as positive in the app.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Interesting (I think science fiction might be included in the word 'horror' here eg they mention alien invasion films) and something I've always thought with no evidence:

quote:

Pandemic practice: Horror fans and morbidly curious individuals are more psychologically resilient during the COVID-19 pandemic
Author links open overlay panelColtanScrivnerabJohn A.JohnsoncJensKjeldgaard-ChristiansendMathiasClasende
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2020.110397Get rights and content

Highlights
• Fans of horror films exhibit less psychological distress during COVID-19.

• Fans of “prepper” films reported being more prepared for the pandemic.

• Morbidly curious people exhibit greater positive resilience during COVID-19.

• Morbidly curious people are more interested in pandemic films during the pandemic.

Abstract

One explanation for why people engage in frightening fictional experiences is that these experiences can act as simulations of actual experiences from which individuals can gather information and model possible worlds. Conducted during the COVID-19 pandemic, this study (n = 310) tested whether past and current engagement with thematically relevant media fictions, including horror and pandemic films, was associated with greater preparedness for and psychological resilience toward the pandemic. Since morbid curiosity has previously been associated with horror media use during the COVID-19 pandemic, we also tested whether trait morbid curiosity was associated with pandemic preparedness and psychological resilience during the COVID-19 pandemic. We found that fans of horror films exhibited greater resilience during the pandemic and that fans of “prepper” genres (alien-invasion, apocalyptic, and zombie films) exhibited both greater resilience and preparedness. We also found that trait morbid curiosity was associated with positive resilience and interest in pandemic films during the pandemic. Taken together, these results are consistent with the hypothesis that exposure to frightening fictions allow audiences to practice effective coping strategies that can be beneficial in real-world situations.

Keywords
HorrorMorbid curiosityResilienceCOVID-19SimulationFictionEmotion regulation

etc

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0191886920305882

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What was with all the American preppers who had a doomsday bunker that could last 6 months going insane and storming government buildings with rifles because the hairdressers closed then?

Jedit posted:

One should think hard before insulting a Scotsman for wearing a skirt and no knickers, because in Scotland the thistles grow waist high. :colbert:
Oh cool, the "the Scots wear a skirt like a girl" guy, who later apologized for being a oval office, came back to post that, in fact, the Scots wear a skirt like a girl, which is bad.

I was thinking of adding cotton thistles to my structured rewilding effort in my back yard, but I've just spent all weekend taking out the giant lettuces that harass me on the way to my shed, so I think this may be an idea that I later regret.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

While we're on this, if I have a housemate who is arriving from France and will be in quarantine here for 14 days, does that mean I also have to stay at home?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1307941145301913602?s=20

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Necrothatcher posted:

While we're on this, if I have a housemate who is arriving from France and will be in quarantine here for 14 days, does that mean I also have to stay at home?

No. At least that's what I was told and did three weeks ago. Nobody ever checked they isolated not that that's the point.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Did he confirm with the priest?

Like its not illegal for the PM to travel, just really weird to lie about it. The airport staff seemed to be pretty sure that it was him, perhaps it was another fat dishevelled blond posho.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

No. At least that's what I was told and did three weeks ago. Nobody ever checked they isolated not that that's the point.

Thanks. That's a relief.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

What was with all the American preppers who had a doomsday bunker that could last 6 months going insane and storming government buildings with rifles because the hairdressers closed then?

Because the disaster they're prepping for is "being told what to do by Democrats".

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Peston perfectly exemplifies lazy :thunk: journalism. "Hmm. Did Boris lie? Was he at the airport?" Hey how about we find out the answer to those questions and more by doing YOUR loving JOB.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

I don't get what's going on here. Am dumb?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Peston perfectly exemplifies lazy :thunk: journalism. "Hmm. Did Boris lie? Was he at the airport?" Hey how about we find out the answer to those questions and more by doing YOUR loving JOB.

Chris: Peter, you're lying in a news grave. Do you know what's written on your head stone?
Peter: "News".
Chris: Peter, thank you.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

No idea what the rules say but if someone in your house is isolating then common sense dictates you should do. Just lol at this government if that isn't the case.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Convex posted:

1) he's presumably annoyed at the rules in the first place and doesn't want support
2) he doesn't like (even if it's the idea of) labour supporting actual common sense good policy because there's less then to differentiate the parties apart from handsome mumsnest super-sir-keir

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

The dystopian hashtag really makes this

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

stev posted:

That was such bollocks. The last contestant of the series, whose brother recently won a huge amount, who Jeremy kept foreshadowing would do well. Coincidence yeah?

The fix is in lads, where's my million?

History and politics teacher gets questions on politics and history as the last 2 questions.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

blunt posted:

On that sorta subject, having finally accepted that we're gonna be wearing masks for quite a while I made the effort this week to go online and buy a few 'nice' masks, as opposed to the disposables and freebies i've been using so far. Both new ones that I bought so far are super tight on my ears compared to the ones I've been using so far and for obvious reasons there's no returns, so that's frustrating. The quest continues.

Anybody wanna recommend any sellers? Just looking for nice plain cotton masks in different colours.

These ones are my favourites right now.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Convex posted:

A Tory backbencher thinks Labour agree with the government too much

Unrelated but

https://twitter.com/Mr_Considerate/status/1307754399117307905?s=19

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Sep 21, 2020

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Necrothatcher posted:

forkboy84 posted:

No idea what the rules say but if someone in your house is isolating then common sense dictates you should do. Just lol at this government if that isn't the case.

some website posted:

The people you are staying with do not need to self-isolate unless they travelled with you or develop symptoms.

https://fullfact.org/health/what-are-quarantine-rules-if-you-return-uk-abroad/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

It says fans of prepper movies not actual preppers :D