Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Now that Bowsette is officially over, where will you be sending your horny energy?
This poll is closed.
Melinda Rust (née Megamelons) 13 5.86%
Twitch streamers 9 4.05%
VTube animes 27 12.16%
Any of the other –ette monstrosities 10 4.50%
[Lie] I don’t get horny. 54 24.32%
Other (Bowsette) 93 41.89%
Now that I'm an IK, I can make my own option 13 5.86%
David Crossup 1 0.45%
Bob PSPGodenkirk 2 0.90%
Total: 222 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I want to know so badly how much Sony paid for FFXVI exclusivity now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Volte posted:

New franchises are likely to be MS-exclusive but it's a different story from long-established cross-platform franchises becoming suddenly exclusive. I'm not saying it won't happen, but I wouldn't assume it based on Grounded or Avowed being MS-exclusive.

Basically. MS bought Minecraft for 2.5b and they still sell it on every platform possible.

Harrow posted:

Like with most Xbox exclusivity stuff, this probably won't have any affect on you if you have a gaming PC, because "Xbox exclusive" really means "Xbox and Windows exclusive" these days.

I wonder if Bethesda games will be on the PC Game Pass, too. That'd be kinda cool.

:pcgaming: rules

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It'll still come out, those deals have been signed. The same thing happened with Starfox Adventures, that was released on Gamecube after the Rare buyout.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Arrrthritis posted:

If microsoft buying bethesda means i'll get to play a Prey 2 or New Vegas 2 i'll be okay with the deal.

Neither of those were developed by Beth

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Bethesda blog post: Todd Howard on Joining Xbox

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Harrow posted:

This makes Deathloop's PS5 console exclusivity kinda awkward but I'm sure it's not the first time something like that has happened

Microsoft already provides some of Sony's cloud services for PSNow.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jay Rust posted:

They were developed by Obsidian and Arkane and published by Bethesda. Microsoft now owns all 3 entities.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

I said come in! posted:

No Elder Scrolls VI on PlayStation 5 is going to be a pretty massive blow to Sony.

Seeing Skyrim imagery pop up in early PS4 ads was always a bit weird. I mean yes they sold a lotta copies of the game on the PS3 and the PS4 as well but when I think of Skyrim on Playstation my thoughts weren't of like...good times.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Arrrthritis posted:

If microsoft buying bethesda means i'll get to play a Prey 2 or New Vegas 2 i'll be okay with the deal.

Prey 2 could be in the cards, Prey kinda got the Titanfall 2 treatment where it was released at an awkward spot without much fanfare, but was generally well liked.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Considering there’s no Titanfall 3 it seems like prey 2 isn’t in the cards !!,

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Jay Rust posted:

ZeniMax owns Bethesda the publishing company and Bethesda the game studio. Everything recently published by Bethesda the publisher is from a studio owned by ZeniMax. Microsoft just bought ZeniMax.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Considering there’s no Titanfall 3 it seems like prey 2 isn’t in the cards !!,

Isnt the current rumor that Titanfall 3 is in the works?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Also surprised Phil Spencer is okay with having to do another generation of interviews where people ask, "Can you put this on Switch? (And Playstation I guess they'll ask now as well)" in interviews cuz he was seemingly getting tired of being asked that all the time recently.

But I guess he doesn't mind as long as the money keeps rolling. I mean I remember either him or someone else saying that Ori 2 was going to stay Xbox/PC exclusive for a long while and then five/six months later it just shadow drops on the Switch like boom there it is.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Volte posted:

New franchises are likely to be MS-exclusive but it's a different story from long-established cross-platform franchises becoming suddenly exclusive. I'm not saying it won't happen, but I wouldn't assume it based on Grounded or Avowed being MS-exclusive.
isn't avowed in the PoE universe

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Barudak posted:

I want to know so badly how much Sony paid for FFXVI exclusivity now

Something greater than 0 and less than $7.5 billion.

The 7th Guest posted:

isn't avowed in the PoE universe

Yep.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

ZeniMax owns Bethesda the publishing company and Bethesda the game studio. Everything recently published by Bethesda the publisher is from a studio owned by ZeniMax. Microsoft just bought ZeniMax.

New Vegas was developed by Obsidian, who is independent, although currently Obsidian and Microsoft have a very close working relationship.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

New Vegas was developed by Obsidian, who is independent, although currently Obsidian and Microsoft have a very close working relationship.

Microsoft bought Obsidian two years ago.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

I said come in! posted:

Obsidian was purchased outright by Microsoft in 2018

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harrow posted:

Microsoft bought Obsidian two years ago.

My bad! Didn't realize that was a full on purchase.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the actual reason to assume that microsoft will make bethesda games exclusive to xbox is they just spent several billion dollars to acquire them instead of just negotiating a game pass contract or timed exclusivity on a game by game basis

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I wonder if Sony's eyeing up any similar acquisitions at the moment. They must be a little nervous about Microsoft's strategy.

MS only seems to be buying western studios so maybe Sony will start sweeping the Japanese market.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

at least we don't have to worry about Skyrim ports anymore

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

The 7th Guest posted:

the actual reason to assume that microsoft will make bethesda games exclusive to xbox is they just spent several billion dollars to acquire them instead of just negotiating a game pass contract or timed exclusivity on a game by game basis

They could still make money by like...putting out a new version of Oblivion.

On the Switch. I'd buy it.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

stev posted:

I wonder if Sony's eyeing up any similar acquisitions at the moment. They must be a little nervous about Microsoft's strategy.

MS only seems to be buying western studios so maybe Sony will start sweeping the Japanese market.

Capcom and/or Square-Enix?

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

grieving for Gandalf posted:

at least we don't have to worry about Skyrim ports anymore

https://twitter.com/KazHiraiCEO/status/1308035228703784962

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

Yeah, there is absolutely no way the next Doom, Fallout, and Elder Scroll titles are coming to PlayStation. At best we get Skyrim PS5 enhanced, but that's it.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

stev posted:

What even is there to buy that has TES power? Nintendo? Much as I love Final Fantasy, Square's definitely a tier lower.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

lmao gently caress, well if I'm gonna get beaten it might as well be by the best in the game

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

stev posted:

Sony has literally always been sweeping the Japanese market.

Literally every Xbox has been sales POISON in Japan.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think anyone who thinks ZeniMax/Bethesda games might still come to other consoles--barring Deathloop, which had a preexisting arrangement that probably won't change at this point--is underestimating the value to Microsoft of getting people on the Xbox platform. If there's anyone out there whose console buying decision can be even somewhat influenced by "can I play Skyrim on it?" then there's more reason for Skyrim: Yet Another Enhanced Port Edition to be only on Xbox and not PS5.

Would they make money from selling copies on PS5? Sure. But they'd make a lot more money in the long term if they instead drove up Xbox sales, got more people on Game Pass, etc.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Parker Lewis posted:

Capcom and/or Square-Enix?

Aww man don't even joke. Like I could see any third-party currently in Smash potentially showing up in the hypothetical sequel to Ultimate if Microsoft bought up any of them but if Sony purchased any of 'em it'd be like, well so long.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Harrow posted:

I think anyone who thinks ZeniMax/Bethesda games might still come to other consoles--barring Deathloop, which had a preexisting arrangement that probably won't change at this point--is underestimating the value to Microsoft of getting people on the Xbox platform. If there's anyone out there whose console buying decision can be even somewhat influenced by "can I play Skyrim on it?" then there's more reason for Skyrim: Yet Another Enhanced Port Edition to be only on Xbox and not PS5.

Would they make money from selling copies on PS5? Sure. But they'd make a lot more money in the long term if they instead drove up Xbox sales, got more people on Game Pass, etc.

Ghostwire too, I think.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

as a prospective PS5 owner, I don't really see this as a big loss. one day I'll get a gaming PC and I'll go back and play whatever Doom games have come out in the mean time

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also, grounded and avowed being new IPs is an argument to NOT make them exclusive because you want them to get as much visibility as possible for them to achieve maximum possible success. microsoft is stunting both games' potential debuts in making them exclusive, and it's because they acquired these studios specifically to make them xbox exclusive. otherwise they would have negotiated timed exclusivity contracts or gamepass contracts which wouldn't cost 7.5 billion dollars

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

also Sony buying up Japanese studios wouldn't make any sense because those studios in essence are already developing for the PlayStation primarily. what would make more sense is Sony getting the rights to make specific IPs that they know westerners would enjoy but aren't being made, like MGS and Castlevania

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I do wonder if Sony's "prestige exclusives" strategy will work out again in the next generation like it appeared to for the PS4. They seem less about just having a ton of studios they own and more about having a few studios and making sure the Playstation has a big, fancy, capital-I Important exclusive game each year. They've got Naughty Dog, Guerrilla Games, Sucker Punch, and Santa Monica Studios just kinda passing the ball around and each year at least one of them has something big and fancy to make the Playstation look good.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The only loving video game news that matters this morning

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1308039353302568962

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Game Pass, value, etc.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They also have the advantage of a lot of Japanese publishers and studios tending to focus on Playstation since it's more popular in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

al-azad posted:

The only loving video game news that matters this morning

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1308039353302568962

This looks like the Division but playing on a low end Intel graphics GPU.