Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is my ps4 still worth an absurd amount of money because it has PT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Len posted:

Is my ps4 still worth an absurd amount of money because it has PT?

Doubt it. There’s still ways to download it right now.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lifeglug posted:

Doubt it. There’s still ways to download it right now.

There always were but 500gb ps4 launch models are still closing on ebay for $200+ dollars

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I dunno if there's a better metric but looking at the sold items on eBay the most expensive one I could see (that wasn't a custom mod or had a bunch of extras) went for around $350. Lots of people asking for $750 and not selling though lol

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I completely forgot about Rides with Strangers for years until this thread brought it back up. I remember looking at the Kickstarter though and feeling like they would never finish it, something about the way the devs and people behind it came across instantly screamed "grift"

al-azad
May 28, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

I completely forgot about Rides with Strangers for years until this thread brought it back up. I remember looking at the Kickstarter though and feeling like they would never finish it, something about the way the devs and people behind it came across instantly screamed "grift"

I'm guessing that they realized making a fully voiced multiple-choice interactive movie a satisfying game longer than Steam's refund period was going to be more effort than expected so they spring boarded to these puzzle-y roguelike investigation titles.

Which is a shame because the concept is solid but I'm guessing they were hampered by the setting, specifically being trapped in a car. It could've moved to different settings, like anyone who played the final episode of Life is Strange usually has good things to say about how creepy and intense it was even though it's a game where you can't lose.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

They also had to implement backer created Strangers, which means they have to deal with really dumb and terrible characters.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

“Are you a real gamer or does your boyfriend play games while you watch...”

1. Uh...
2. Wtf?
>3. gently caress off.
4. TUCK AND ROLL!

“Fake gamer girl!!!” *loud musical sting*

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Any word on A Plague Tale: Innocence? I only just heard about it and how much praise it got (I've mostly stopped paying attention to gaming news). It certainly looks neat.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

chitoryu12 posted:

Any word on A Plague Tale: Innocence? I only just heard about it and how much praise it got (I've mostly stopped paying attention to gaming news). It certainly looks neat.

Its a solid little narrative game. Its not going to blow your socks off but it does everything it aims for. I would hesitate to call it a horror game.

Absolutely worth the 15 bucks its going for right now.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

chitoryu12 posted:

Certainly worth the price. There are some scary moments in the game, but yeah not so much a horror game as it is a puzzle game with stealth elements. The story is pretty neat, really goes places by the end. I certainly enjoyed playing through it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's a pretty great stealth-adventure game with some spooky elements and a really, really good unique gimmick in the form of swarms of rats that behave like dynamically moving individuals instead of clumps of pre-canned animations. It's a particularly remarkable achievement when you consider that it's basically the first proper game that the studio ever made - previously, practically the only thing that they had ever really worked on were licensed shovelware titles. Very strong first showing, I'll be paying attention to Asobo in the future.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 13, 2020

szary
Mar 12, 2014
https://twitter.com/frictionalgames/status/1305899587375423489

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wow it's a game about the year 2020?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
What if we took Alien Isolation, set it in Jurassic Park, and then made it look terrible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7vYKq4o17k

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

the Telltale JP game looked better than that

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The_Doctor posted:

What if we took Alien Isolation, set it in Jurassic Park, and then made it look terrible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7vYKq4o17k

Oh man, the first part sounds like such a solid pitch for something I never knew I wanted. If nothing else it seems like that graphics style choice would kinda take a huge edge off any real scariness.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Is it because it's VR that they went that route? Man that stinks, especially because there's already a super effective JP tech demo thing thats much better looking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorEhne4jA

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Half Life Alyx did really well with a generally realistic graphics style.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A new Five Nights At Freddy's was shown at the PS5 event. It was a giant fully 3D set in a Dave & Busters style mega playground. No word on gameplay but maybe it's like a Amnesia/Soma style game??

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.

The Chad Jihad posted:

Is it because it's VR that they went that route? Man that stinks, especially because there's already a super effective JP tech demo thing thats much better looking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorEhne4jA

It's because it's an Oculus Quest game. The Quest is self-contained and powered by a smartphone chip, not a PC.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think the game (visually) looks good :shrug: but I guess there's never been a precedent for comic book style dinosaurs so it looks out of place.

There's a good stylized horror game as well called Lies Beneath that's very obviously styled after Mike Mignola

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8BYXnqJeF8

And the Walking Dead game for VR is like Ubisoft's Zombie taken to its logical extreme, an honest to god survival horror RPG adventure.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Speaking of zombie games, I'm playing 7 Days To Die these last few days and it's a really good take on the concept. It's janky and at least 75% survival game by volume, but in a good kind of way. It has a real talent for organically creating genre-appropriate jump-scares. Walk through a randomly generated abandoned house, looking for medication to treat your recent infection. Step a bit too loudly on a piece of garbage and suddenly WHAM! Zombie smashed a walk-in closet's door from the inside, startling the poop out of you. There's a very organic sense of horror to it, at least if you play it alone.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Cardiovorax posted:

Speaking of zombie games, I'm playing 7 Days To Die these last few days and it's a really good take on the concept. It's janky and at least 75% survival game by volume, but in a good kind of way. It has a real talent for organically creating genre-appropriate jump-scares. Walk through a randomly generated abandoned house, looking for medication to treat your recent infection. Step a bit too loudly on a piece of garbage and suddenly WHAM! Zombie smashed a walk-in closet's door from the inside, startling the poop out of you. There's a very organic sense of horror to it, at least if you play it alone.
Not a fan of the pre-canned spooks inside houses, but you do sometimes get in over your head in that game, and it's some real poo poo. Stranded, low on resources, hunted by enemies, and trying to figure out how to abuse the mechanics in order to get back to base in one piece.

Game could really, really use some kind of goal or main quest though, boy does it get boring once you've 'made it'.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Resident Evil 3 for 30 euro. Am I in for a Direct-to-Video movie with high production-values?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Resident Evil 3 for 30 euro. Am I in for a Direct-to-Video movie with high production-values?

You're in for a perfectly good 89% on Rotten Tomatoes that has the misfortune of being the follow-up to one of the best horror movies of all time.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

woodenchicken posted:

Not a fan of the pre-canned spooks inside houses, but you do sometimes get in over your head in that game, and it's some real poo poo. Stranded, low on resources, hunted by enemies, and trying to figure out how to abuse the mechanics in order to get back to base in one piece.

Game could really, really use some kind of goal or main quest though, boy does it get boring once you've 'made it'.

I highly recommend cranking the difficulty up to max (Insane) and setting the loot to 25% once you've gotten experienced with the game; the default difficulty/loot settings are far too easy/generous IMO. Playing Permadeath on top of all of this helps kill the 'well now what?' feeling because you really need to start to scramble just to keep yourself alive as the game goes on.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

SkeletonHero posted:

You're in for a perfectly good 89% on Rotten Tomatoes that has the misfortune of being the follow-up to one of the best horror movies of all time.
Boy do I disagree with the "perfectly good" part of that statement. I wouldn't say that Remake 3 is even as good as RE5, never mind the direct preceding main series game RE7. It's hardly a bad game, but at its absolute best, it's average, not great. It hardly deserves an 89 rating anywhere, because that implies it's only 2 points worth of a worse game than RE2make, and that's just not true in any sense of the word at all.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
RE3R's visual aesthetic doesn't make my eyes want to die, there's no superfluous co-op partner, and it's not wildly racist so I would say it's a better game than RE5.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Resident Evil: Resistance is pretty good though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I guess it's a difference of degrees. Say what you want about the annoying co-op elements, that's fair, but on the other hand there at least also aren't any people who accidentally beat the entire game in three hours because it's just that badly paced and linear. There were tons of people who complained to the Resident Evil thread about how quickly it was over and how rushed they felt the entire way. It's legitimately possibly to play and beat that game before the Steam return period on it is even up, which is just all sorts of ridiculous for a full-budget sixty dollar game.

RE3make is a solidly mid-range title that I would not buy unless you can get it for at least half off. I wouldn't pay more than 20 dollars for it if I had to do it again, now that I actually know what that money got me.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Resident Evil, a franchise notorious for being full of lengthy games that you play once and never again.

I absolutely don't believe that how long a game is in any way equates to it's overall value, especially games like RE3R (and most REs, honestly) that encourage multiple playthroughs on different difficulties.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Then you have bad opinions. Resident Evil 3 is not worth twenty dollars per hour of game it gets you.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Cardiovorax posted:

Then you have bad opinions. Resident Evil 3 is not worth twenty dollars per hour of game it gets you.

I like that instead of agreeing to disagree you went for the comment that still makes it clear you think you're objectively right about something completely subjective like the correlation between game length and monetary value.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hey, if you thought that a sarcastic "yeah, because Resident Evil is known for long games :rolleyes:" comment was going to get you anything other than a response in kind, it's completely your own fault. RE3make is so short and linear for its price that it's a well-known and common criticism of the game among a sizable portion of the player base. Whether you agree with that is not my problem.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 22, 2020

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
House on the Hill has a neat gimmick, but dear god way too many jumpscares.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

idk man, when i played the original resident evils as a kid they were p lengthy, and thats not even counting the nightmares i had for weeks afterward

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The original trilogy was definitely pretty short, you can easily beat every one of them in five hours or less on your first playthrough. 60 minutes or less if you really know what you're doing, although that's speedrun territory.

From Code Veronica onward the mainline games have gotten a lot longer, though. Resident Evil 4 was a solid fifteen hour game and Resident Evil 5 was only minimally shorter at twelve.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I just bought code Veronica for 3 bucks. Never played it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Playing REmake 2 blind was about 5 hours per character which is what I remembered playing the original. Like the first game you can beat them in an afternoon but they were meant to be highly replayable. I wish REmake 3 had the branching story because I’m just going to wait until it’s $20 as I have no interest in the multiplayer or redoing single player to unlock costumes.

oldpainless posted:

I just bought code Veronica for 3 bucks. Never played it before.

It’s alright. Didn’t make the transition to full 3D super well and it’s extra dumb even by RE standards.