Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

What a hosed up probation.... Probated for truth

I am going to have to appeal this, justice cannot be denied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I’m not wet

Wet
rear end
Phil

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Toona the Cat posted:

Wet
rear end
Phil

drat

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
שנה טובה קאפו

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

L’chaim

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I’m not wet

Ben Shapiro's wife right here

EDIT: Beaten to it

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 20, 2020

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Soothing Vapors posted:

lol congrats on your ascendancy into the cabal of chomos and wifebeaters you wet freak

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

This is great, finally someone is stepping up and doing something.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Toona the Cat posted:

שנה טובה קאפו

Philús lagabœtr

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

lol congrats on your ascendancy into the cabal of chomos and wifebeaters you wet freak

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somewhere Actus Rhesus looks up from her desk and just can't help but smile.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

evilweasel posted:

this is a good “I’m not saying I support trump but the imaginary Biden in my head keeps doing terrible terrible things” but it needs a garnish that says “you can trust me, really, I have a keen sense of reality and am not reflexively making up stupid poo poo to defend the indefensible” like a “national review contributor” or a gang tag that says something like “noj...” ... hrmm

I know your brain has been shattered so I'll give you a pass for this pathetic excuse of a post.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

So, over/under on Thomas being pushed to resign and getting replaced in the lame duck session should the election go badly for Republicans.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Munin posted:

So, over/under on Thomas being pushed to resign and getting replaced in the lame duck session should the election go badly for Republicans.

How could they pressure someone with a lifetime position?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

therobit posted:

His wingnut wife will do it for them.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

therobit posted:

I wouldn't care to speculate what inducements or threats might be available or necessary.

If it does happen it might be a great day to have been a clerk for Thomas, and who he liked, and is now in their late 40s to mid 50s...

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I don’t see how a scotus justice can be pressured into anything.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
They'll let him stay but if they wanted they'd just give his wife more.money than they already do.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

A normal SCOTUS justice, or like baseball ticket debt Kav?

As easily as Republican Senators were bought, it doesn’t seem so hard to pressure a judge anymore.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
for the rest of my days I will hold fast to this belief: phil pressing the button to probate me was an act of penetration, and he and I are now one flesh

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

They call him up on the phone and offer his freak wife and whatever kids they have 5m/year no show jobs at some loving think tank

Done

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Phil and SV finally created joinder.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Ask Anthony Kennedy

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

for the rest of my days I will hold fast to this belief: phil pressing the button to probate me was an act of penetration, and he and I are now one flesh

Hot

Now that’s pressure

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

terrorist ambulance posted:

They call him up on the phone and offer his freak wife and whatever kids they have 5m/year no show jobs at some loving think tank

Done

That’s incentive but not pressure. These people think they’re demigods or more. Their kids will be rich, that’s not a motivator.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Amy Coney Barrett, the judge at the top of Trump’s list to replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg, has said we should always remember that a “legal career is but a means to an end … and that end is building the Kingdom of God."

:shepicide:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Claiming to be an originalist should basically be a disqualifying factor.
If the founding fathers came back today, they'd be horrified that we have women and black people on the Supreme Court. It's a term that lets you rule however you want while claiming no one should be able to disagree.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Vox Nihili posted:

Amy Coney Barrett, the judge at the top of Trump’s list to replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg, has said we should always remember that a “legal career is but a means to an end … and that end is building the Kingdom of God."

:shepicide:

if I’m gonna have a legal career for a word, that word is poontang

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Toona is one of the finest human beings in the world. All he needs is somebody to throw traveling pants at him the rest of his life.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Toona should be thread IK because he is the GOAT, but also he'd probate you for some pussy

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

nm posted:

If the founding fathers came back today, they'd be horrified that we have women and black people on the Supreme Court. It's a term that lets you rule however you want while claiming no one should be able to disagree.

Conservatives aren't originalists any more, they felt comfortable saying it was all a pretense once they seized generational control of the courts. Adrian Vermule wrote an essay about their new "common good" theory of jurisprudence.

The Common Good will somehow always magically favor the clients of the NoJoe V10 L&E lawyers that post here.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 21, 2020

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Sab0921 posted:

Conservatives aren't originalists any more, they felt comfortable saying it was all a pretense once they seized generational control of the courts. Adrian Vermule wrote an essay about their new "common good" theory of jurisprudence.

The Common Good will somehow always magically favor the clients of the NoJoe V10 L&E lawyers that post here.

Barrett claims to be an originalist.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

nm posted:

Barrett claims to be an originalist.

So did Scalia. So does Alito. It is clear that it was just a branding exercise that only meant no Substantive Due Process.

Edit: Thomas probably actually is one

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 21, 2020

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Sab0921 posted:

So did Scalia. So does Alito. It is clear that it was just a branding exercise that only meant no Substantive Due Process.

Edit: Thomas probably actually is one

Hence "claiming to be an orginalist."

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

nm posted:

The difference with current Republicans being...?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

nm posted:

Hence "claiming to be an orginalist."

Look man - I'm just gonna be honest with you. I just saw an opening to lol a bit at our BigLaw Maoist crew and took it.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

To be fair, the only positive right biglaw cares about is the right to contract...

(he says incredulous that he's looking at going back to a firm)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Whitlam posted:

The difference with current Republicans being...?

Nah, current republicans class them as "good ones" as long as they vote the way they want.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Barrett was my favorite FF7 character, excited to see how this cameo plays out!

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Grip it and rip it posted:

Barrett was my favorite FF7 character, excited to see how this cameo plays out!

Court's dying Cloud.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Pook Good Mook posted:

Court's dying Cloud.

All the Senatorial races are the various atma weapons, trying to rebalance the mako stream.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Wow one of the older lawyers at the place I'm working for got really pissed when I casually mentioned that republicans would appoint someone who would advance their policy goals to SCOTUS, he was the one that brought up the subject too so it's not like I was idly chatting on work time. Borderline screamed at me that I didn't understand that judiciary and judicial philosophy (something about originalism) if I thought that justices were just "politicians in robes". Is this (the supreme court being impartial) really like a sacrosanct belief or shibboleth among lawyers?

Because uhh, there is more than a little research showing that it isn't true.