Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Well I guess enjoy your exclusive Elder Scrolls 6 in 10 years on your Xbox Ultra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

PC prices are driven pretty significantly by cryptocurrency prices. You can buy GPUs new when crypto prices are low and sell them used for more than they cost new when crypto prices go back up.

Ask me about trading a 4 year old R9-290 I bought new for $200 for a GTX 1060 because the 290 mines better.

this hasnt been true in a while lol

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Real hurthling! posted:

I hope this doesnt start a big feeding frenzy in the industry.
Consolidation sucks rear end
if other corps think that they need to get bigger to compete with ms and not get pushed around on terms there will be a wave of mergers that will leave a very different landscape for us, the players

Yes it is going the way of the TV/Movie business and it sucks there and will suck for video games too

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

MarcusSA posted:

I just started another play through of Alpha Protocol and the game still owns bones.

drat it’s good.

to this day the rear end in a top hat run is one of the finest moments in gaming

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Imagine how bad john madden's call of battlefield will be

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Did they do those benchmarks at 8k too? Nvidia is marketing the 3090 as an 8k /60fps card
we only have leaked benchmarks right now - but same group as the 3080 leaked benchmarks that were spot-on, nothing on 8k where they're likely to get a better lead

check the gpu thread rather than spilling this throughout the xbox thread though: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3484126 :justpost:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Didnt 3090 benchmark at 10% performance improvement over 3080 for double the price.

its the titan

Rad Valtar posted:

Who the gently caress would play Bethesda games on a console anyway when you can get them on PC where fans make the games actually run well.

most people

BonoMan posted:

I would not be surprised though to see this increase in the future. It's clear Epic and Sony have a shared interest in the Unreal Engine and I imagine Sony would love to have that as an "in-house" tool. I don't think it'll ever happen to that sort of exclusivity simply because Epic and the UE are in so many other industries than just games, but I do believe Sony will try to make it cozier in the future.

sony wouldnt hate having ue but also have like 4 in house engines that are all insanely good already anyway. their studios are good at the tech side.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Stux posted:

most people

The world is cursed.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Hopefully having Phil in charge improves Bethesda because the people who ran Zenimax were awful.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Zeta Acosta posted:

they totally are going to keep TES and Fallout for them

Nah, let 'em play.

"Hey, we're bringing these to PS5 at the normal prices, or free on gamepass for Xbox!"

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I've put more time on Skyrim in the Switch than on PC.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Hopefully having Phil in charge improves Bethesda because the people who ran Zenimax were awful.

They were like the last developer left publishing cool single player FPS games

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
It will be fine, folks. The wurm continues to turn. Relax. It will be over soon.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Evil Badman posted:

Nah, let 'em play.

"Hey, we're bringing these to PS5 at the normal prices, or free on gamepass for Xbox!"

This has to be the strategy, unless they think they're going to recoup 7.5b by driving people to Xbox.

I wonder how much ESRAM you can buy with 7.5 billion dollars?

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They were like the last developer left publishing cool single player FPS games

They also tried to Sue John Carmack out of existence

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Let Carmack make the new Quake.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Escape Goat posted:

This has to be the strategy, unless they think they're going to recoup 7.5b by driving people to Xbox.

I wonder how much ESRAM you can buy with 7.5 billion dollars?
maybe 32MB, but i may be optimistic

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Not to mention "normal prices" now is $69.99 or $89.99 canada bucks

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sorry Carmack works for facebook now :whitewater:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

why would you want carmack to make quake, wouldnt you want the people who made doom eternal which was secretly quake

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Microsoft will rebrand GamePass as "XBox" and make it compatible with PS5 (and Switch via xCloud).

You will go to your friend's house and point at their PlayStation and ask if they have Xbox. The flagship console will be "Series X with Xbox."

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ethanol posted:

why would you want carmack to make quake, wouldnt you want the people who made doom eternal which was secretly quake

You could tell from the very first level that they really wanted to make a Quake game

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
resetera just made a 'square just shot themselves in the foot' for bethesda

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Evil Badman posted:

Nah, let 'em play.

"hey buy an xbox"

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Stux posted:

"hey buy an xbox"

They get paid either way.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Please don't post stuff from ResetEra, if I wanted to read bad posts I'd read the SA Games Xbox thread.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Real hurthling! posted:

I hope this doesnt start a big feeding frenzy in the industry.
Consolidation sucks rear end
if other corps think that they need to get bigger to compete with ms and not get pushed around on terms there will be a wave of mergers that will leave a very different landscape for us, the players

yeah bit worried about that. could see sony going after someone like gearbox.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rinkles posted:

could see sony going after someone like gearbox.

:whitewater:
gross

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Evil Badman posted:

They get paid either way.

they want to sell hardware

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Stux posted:

sony wouldnt hate having ue but also have like 4 in house engines that are all insanely good already anyway. their studios are good at the tech side.

True, but I wasn't talking about them actually needing an engine and more "taking away everyone else's access to it" (or licensing it). But I'll also admit I'm viewing that a little too cynically I believe.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Sony already has games they don’t need to throw 7.5 billion into a black hole to salvage an operation

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Rinkles posted:

yeah bit worried about that. could see sony going after someone like gearbox.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
sony can keep gearbox

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

sony desperate to get their hands on the coveted gearbox IPs of... and... and who can forget...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

BonoMan posted:

True, but I wasn't talking about them actually needing an engine and more "taking away everyone else's access to it" (or licensing it). But I'll also admit I'm viewing that a little too cynically I believe.

Look up the RenderWare engine and the EA purchase of Criterion

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Stux posted:

they want to sell hardware

They want to make the graph go up and right. Minecraft is still on other consoles.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
I dont know how the Bethesda purchase changes anything. The correct purchasing strategy last gen and this one is still looking to be the same get a PC for every major game and keep a ps console for their exclusives

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

:yarg:

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
There are accountants locked in a room trying to calculate the benefits of taking some Bethesda games multiplatform and which ones and when. And maybe it's not worth it, I genuinely don't know. But remember that Sony is releasing games on PC now, and will be releasing at least one game on Switch and Xbox. It's not clear-cut and it can be worth it depending on the situation.

Terminal autist posted:

I dont know how the Bethesda purchase changes anything. The correct purchasing strategy last gen and this one is still looking to be the same get a PC for every major game and keep a ps console for their exclusives

Yeah, this is what Microsoft has been building toward this generation. If you're not going to get an Xbox, at least you're playing their games somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Quantum of Phallus posted:

sorry Carmack works for facebook now :whitewater:

he already said he hopes he can be allowed to interact with his old IPs

but yeah, im glad how this gen is shaping up

PC for PC & Xbox Games, Switch, PS5

hail satan