Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Is a dragon just a rich NEET?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

AlternateNu posted:

I refuse to propagate this insanity. :colbert:

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I'm just glad to discover I still have reverse avs

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Where the gently caress are our speech bubbles?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Why do Otaku get so mad whenever there's a comedic moment in an anime/manga where the girl gets frustrated at a guy, and hits him, like in Toradora or Ranma?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Willo567 posted:

Why do Otaku get so mad whenever there's a comedic moment in an anime/manga where the girl gets frustrated at a guy, and hits him, like in Toradora or Ranma?

What kind of otaku gets mad at tsunderes being tsundere?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Willo567 posted:

It depends on context, but from what I've seen it's usually it's coming from a fair place of criticizing the double standard and outdated joke of "Haha, physical abuse of men by women is sooooooo hilarious, right guys?", especially given that this is sort of a harmful stereotype in the real world where parts of society just sort of expect men to take emotional and physical abuse from women in a relationship and deal with it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's also become a bit of an overused trope, so it's kinda hacky.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Coxswain Balls posted:

What kind of otaku gets mad at tsunderes being tsundere?

I was thinking about the "Sit" comamnds Kagome uses on Inuyasha, and how many people hate that and complain about it.

In the anime, she really overuses it. However, in the manga, she uses it far less frequently, and usually with good reason (Inuyasha being a dick, getting violent, or destroying property).

And yes, I know she used it when Inuyasha was near Kikyo, but she's still just a 15 year old girl with changing feelings, and not only that, but Kikyo actually tried to kill her before. Plus, even then, she used less sit commands in the manga then the anime.

And for the record, I don't think women should abuse men. I think with something like Toradora, Taiga's abuse of Ryuji isn't justifiable, since it's just her having a really short temper with him, when most of the time he didn't deserve it

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 20, 2020

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I can feel for you, but it's also a harmful stereotype to describe women and teenage girls as suffering from "mood swings" and not, just, having changing emotions like every regular person on earth. :thunk:

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Julias posted:

I can feel for you, but it's also a harmful stereotype to describe women and teenage girls as suffering from "mood swings" and not, just, having changing emotions like every regular person on earth. :thunk:

Sorry, I didn't mean to put it like that

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think in most cases it's more slapstick humour than abuse

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

1) it is not abuse at all lol
2) people mostly just wanted reasons to get mad at inuyasha because girls liked it
3) that said the gag was very overused in the anime and most people only knew the anime
4) this isnt something we need to have a deep debate on

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Nami beating up luffy for losing treasure is problematic

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

tsunderes are welcome to do slapstick violence on me, shoot me with heavy artillery, launch me with large comedy hammers, etc

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

1) it is not abuse at all lol
2) people mostly just wanted reasons to get mad at inuyasha because girls liked it
3) that said the gag was very overused in the anime and most people only knew the anime
4) this isnt something we need to have a deep debate on

Do you mean in inuyasha specifically (a show I barely remember) or that trope in general?

the most recent example I can think of is how dumb it was when the girls got pissy and beat up ryuji in persona 5 when he turned out not to be dead.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Acerbatus posted:

Do you mean in inuyasha specifically (a show I barely remember) or that trope in general?

the most recent example I can think of is how dumb it was when the girls got pissy and beat up ryuji in persona 5 when he turned out not to be dead.

I think he's talking about Inuyasha specifically.

I wasn't trying to have a debate on that example, just the idea of female-on-male abuse "humor" in anime

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 21, 2020

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

El Burbo posted:

tsunderes are welcome to do slapstick violence on me, shoot me with heavy artillery, launch me with large comedy hammers, etc

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Acerbatus posted:

tbf, you'd have to struggle to get the people writing some of the big scenes in persona 4 and 5 to grasp the concept of a funny joke

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

that scene sucked but its also a ridiculous version of the most common version of the trope. like theres smacking a guy for being a perv and then there's a bunch of girls beat up a guy after he risked his life for them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I remember a lot of people got mad when the second episode of Working! came around and it was seeming that most of the focus was going to be on Inami, whose entire shtick was "I am deathly afraid of men to the point where I will enact violence when I see one" and not Poplar, who had proven very poplar the previous week.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

On to episode 3 of Big O and can confirm I have the Queen opening

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd6D0L0fYV0

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Keitaro deserved about 50% of the violence he got

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

This is great.

https://twitter.com/karmallize/status/1307810970006441984?s=21

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

here they are. the entire cast of ibo.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

here they are. the entire cast of ibo.

Lmao

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Biscuit. :(

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 21, 2020

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I still cannot get the name Quattro Bajeena out of my head.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
who

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Ibblebibble posted:

I still cannot get the name Quattro Bajeena out of my head.

I legally acquired the first episode of SDF Macross so I could post a picture of Roy Fucker to take your mind of Quattro Bajeena but alas on further inspection I think they spelled his name right. At least episode 1 reminded me why I bothered to watch all four series of Macross despite the others having nothing resembling an interesting plot. If only they could figure out how to combine good character writing and a good plot into one series.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

El Burbo posted:

I don’t want to be powerful I just want the frilly dress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011