Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

El Padrino posted:

I'm pretty sure that's why they decided to remove that part of the story, so the Boys have to get creative when engaging with the supes, and the show is all the better for it.

Yup, it's an excellent choice. I'm on board with pretty much all the changes that I've noticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Collateral posted:

Yeah but the Punisher isn't shown as being recruited and trained* after his family gets killed.

*Butcher accuses Mallory of turning him into a weapon, something she tells him she regrets doing. It wouldn't be as bad if she had said that she only pointed him in the right direction, he was already a weapon, but she didn't, did she.

he was always a violent dick, Mallory 'turned him into a weapon' by giving him the tools to be a violent trained spy dick.

I like that butcher was always a bit like that. Normal non-violent people dont suddenly turn on a dime after one traumatic event, or rather Hughie is a more accurate version of someone who has that particular arc. It's fundamental to Butchers character and charm that he enjoys what he does.

someone mentioned the short so here it is if anyone hasnt seen it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75pAMx_LBK8

I mean it doesent add much so I see why it wasnt in S2, thoguh I was wondering what his relationship to alcohol was like since in the comics he doesent drink (since he knows it makes him a more violent oval office than usual) but in S2 he did.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 21, 2020

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Azhais posted:

Homelander let Butcher live because Becca asked him to (presumably so he'd get some HL Jr access).

Homelander said as much

HL didn't kill Butcher because Becca threatened to kill herself in front of Ryan and tell Ryan "this is your dad's fault" and HL could sense that she wasn't lying. She says these words out loud to Butcher when they're together.

massive spider posted:

he was always a violent dick, Mallory 'turned him into a weapon' by giving him the tools to be a violent trained spy dick.

I like that butcher was always a bit like that. Normal non-violent people dont suddenly turn on a dime after one traumatic event, or rather Hughie is a more accurate version of someone who has that particular arc. It's fundamental to Butchers character and charm that he enjoys what he does.

I mean it doesent add much so I see why it wasnt in S2, thoguh I was wondering what his relationship to alcohol was like since in the comics he doesent drink (since he knows it makes him a more violent oval office than usual) but in S2 he did.

Butcher's Aunt Judy tells Hughie a story about how when Butcher was in grade school he almost killed a kid during a playground fight. Butcher has always been a violent abusive bully.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I don't know if it's a plot hole really, but in season 1 the boys were certain that Translucient's corpse would be found.

And sure enough the deep just happened to find it? Out of the entire ocean? Also, Homelander flying back and forth all over the city was somehow going to find it too?

I just found it odd that supes are not only super, but somehow able to find one specific rotting corpse?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
the deep saw it on fishbook

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're chipped and I guess the bomb didn't disable his?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

spacetoaster posted:

I don't know if it's a plot hole really, but in season 1 the boys were certain that Translucient's corpse would be found.

And sure enough the deep just happened to find it? Out of the entire ocean? Also, Homelander flying back and forth all over the city was somehow going to find it too?

I just found it odd that supes are not only super, but somehow able to find one specific rotting corpse?

I think they assumed that Vought would never stop looking and they didn't have the ability to make it impossible to find.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Aphrodite posted:

They're chipped and I guess the bomb didn't disable his?

Yeah.

It's just weird that a bunch of badass killers like Frenchie/Butcher wouldn't just dig out the chip and feed the meat to some stray dogs or something.

I guess the writers needed the seven to find the corpse so they'd know that somebody was killing supes.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
MM mentioned supes being chipped when starlight wanted to go with them to check out the house with the sister of the guy liberty killed.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

massive spider posted:

His ringtone for Frenchie being Frère Jacques is kinda cute

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

Romes128 posted:

More like the second one.

He has regrets, but not in a sympathetic way. He still came off as a huge rear end in a top hat to Homelander during that episode.

he told homelander that if homelander was one of his dogs he would have killed it.

as for Noir being Edgars lapdog, they all are. up until recently even HL mostly listened to what vought was telling them to do. everything started falling apart once HL started doing the poo poo with atrain and sending v everywhere.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Frenchie said he disabled the chip before they put the body in the box

The Deep was just doing some underwater whoring and heard some rumors of a new smell box in the bay

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

he can literally tell all the animals to spread the word. a school of fish numbering in the millions could look around the east coast pretty thoroughly in a few days probably.

if we are to believe that all sea life is semi sentient like the lobsters

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

spacetoaster posted:

Yeah.

It's just weird that a bunch of badass killers like Frenchie/Butcher wouldn't just dig out the chip and feed the meat to some stray dogs or something.

I guess the writers needed the seven to find the corpse so they'd know that somebody was killing supes.

Butcher specifically said this.

moist turtleneck posted:

Frenchie said he disabled the chip before they put the body in the box

The Deep was just doing some underwater whoring and heard some rumors of a new smell box in the bay

Right. It was also in a zinc lined box so that explains Homelander couldn't see through it and find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIxeiie2cuQ

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 21, 2020

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Episode 6 teaser is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwAyQmZCaQQ

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Boys Season 2: Full of plotholes(or just things I don't remember)!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

El Padrino posted:

I'm pretty sure that's why they decided to remove that part of the story, so the Boys have to get creative when engaging with the supes, and the show is all the better for it.

I still think Butcher's going to eventually juice Hughie up against his will.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
They dose butcher with v and he can't be the thing he hates so he rips his own head off his body like that one robocop prototype

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

spacetoaster posted:

Yeah.

Also Translucent's skin was literally diamond hard. A .50 cal anti-material round fired at point-blank range bounced of him.

Oh, after the fact. Yeah, Butcher just wanted to send Vought and Homelander a message.

MizPiz fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 21, 2020

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

PneumonicBook posted:

Stormfront and Homelander loving is a pretty strong metaphor to how willing America is to embrace Nazi idealism in order to feel warm and fuzzy and safe.

Anyway that's my hot take.

wrestling with, then embracing, fascism as the office falls around them is striking visual metaphor.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

MizPiz posted:

Also Translucent's skin was literally diamond hard. A .50 cal anti-material round fired at point-blank range bounced of him.

Oh, after the fact. Yeah, Butcher just wanted to send Vought and Homelander a message.

Just gotta, y'know... scrape it out.

Like the last peanut butter in the jar

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

MizPiz posted:

That's correct, but I'm still kinda surprised that HL could eventually find it.

I'm a dummy who has trouble with those "where's Waldo" drawings. I can't imagine HL being able to find something as small as a smushed up body in an entire city. Even with xray vision.

BUT, as we've all agreed on, they wanted the body found so it's just an interesting thing to discuss.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Of all the dumb bullshit in the comics, the decision to make The Boys physically superior to 99% of all supers is the most absolutely insane one, even beyond the normal Ennis grossout stuff. It completely and totally undercuts all tension in every single fight or confrontation that doesn't involve Homelander for the entire comics run. It's loving bizarre.

They're not really superior, though. Most of the superteams in the comics could cream the Boys... if they knew how to properly use their powers and coordinate tactically. But they don't, they just throw themselves into comic-style big brawls. They expect to win, at worst they don't expect to get killed or really hurt, because normally they only "fight" in publicity stunts where the heroes always win. Put into a real fight against actual soldiers they get wiped.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

spacetoaster posted:

That's correct, but I'm still kinda surprised that HL could eventually find it.

I'm a dummy who has trouble with those "where's Waldo" drawings. I can't imagine HL being able to find something as small as a smushed up body in an entire city. Even with xray vision.

BUT, as we've all agreed on, they wanted the body found so it's just an interesting thing to discuss.

:confused:

The Deep found it. I literally linked the scene.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jedit posted:

They're not really superior, though. Most of the superteams in the comics could cream the Boys... if they knew how to properly use their powers and coordinate tactically. But they don't, they just throw themselves into comic-style big brawls. They expect to win, at worst they don't expect to get killed or really hurt, because normally they only "fight" in publicity stunts where the heroes always win. Put into a real fight against actual soldiers they get wiped.

Well most of it is due to how the Supes are drug addled narcissistic wrecks.

Also a tremendous amount of arrogance due to their power like how Translucent getting captured was pretty much due to how he was arrogant and over-confidence in the fight with Butcher which made him put his guard down at a critical moment.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I haven't re-watched Season 1 so can someone please remind me --

To what extent do the supes go out and "fight crime" versus do promotional stunts and star in media franchises?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:confused:

The Deep found it. I literally linked the scene.

I worded that wrong.

That they believed that HL could find it.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I think the 7 only does publicity stunts at this point

And the deep in ohio only did waterpark openings because they didn't have any crimes that needed a super hero

Starlight would listen to the police scanner to try to snipe leads before she got in the 7

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

unlimited shrimp posted:

To what extent do the supes go out and "fight crime" versus do promotional stunts and star in media franchises?

Almost none of the former. The opening of S1E1 where Maeve stops the getaway truck, the episode where HL and Maeve handle an active shooter, and the plane hijacking are the only things I remember that are "approved" crime fighting activities. I guess you could also count HL going overseas and taking out the warehouse full of people making drugs (was that supposed to be knockoff Compound V?).

In season 1 they explicitly go out of their way to show that when Starlight beats up rapists it's bad for her publicity and Ashley yells at Starlight for it. Eventually the woman who was the assault victim comes out in favor of Starlight's actions so it all ends up OK but then that's when Vought forces Starlight to wear her new "empowered woman" outfit instead of her original one. In the most recent episode about HL's war crime Ashley says to him "This is why I wish you had cleared this with me before you went over there". Everything the 7 do has to be pre-approved by the marketing department and rehearsed beforehand so make sure nobody loses any points or whatever.

For the most part it's all performative.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You mean kind of like *Homelander* with Stillwell?

There's no way the kid doesn't get pissed one day when Becca grabs at him or something and he reflexively takes off her hand. Homelander kept Becca alive to torture her and stick her with a ticking superhuman bomb that she's futilely trying to disarm every day of her life. It's an infinitely *crueler* fate than the one she suffered in the comics, for reasons given previously - she's being forced to care for the child of her rape and cannot escape her rapist because she hopes she can "make things right." Every other single human being around her is probably instructed to *kill* her if she goes radically off-script or tries to escape. She's monitored almost constantly. Every single second of her life is an ever-worsening and deepening abuse, and her quoted ~ultimate revenge~ of killing herself in front of the boy and saying "your father did this" will do nothing but create a *worse* version of Homelander.

I thought Homelander didn't know he had a son? I don't think he 'kept Becca alive' out of any twisted desire to torture her.

And despite HL Jr being a child of rape she does want to take care of him, or at least keep him safe/stop him becoming a monster. That's why she turns down the chance to escape with Butcher. Killing herself in front of her son wasn't her idea of "ultimate revenge", it was the only thing she could think of to make sure he didn't end up falling in with his dad.

Asgerd posted:

I feel like Becca has more leverage than she's being given credit for, at least with Vought, since she's the only person with any control over Ryan - they can't really risk killing her or take her away from him, simply because of the high chance of driving the second most powerful being on the planet into a vengeful rampage (or at least giving him a massive grudge) and the only one who could conceivably stop him is Homelander, who is borderline-uncontrollable at the best of times and completely unreliable as a failsafe.

I'd be very surprised if her house isn't rigged with massive amounts of explosive or even a nuke. It's basically the same deal as when they were raising Homelander, just with a thin veneer of normality this time.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

unlimited shrimp posted:

It's shown that the Seven do participate in anti-terrorist activities. Even if it's mostly to clean up Vought's mess or bolster their PR as Elephant Ambush pointed out.

Off the top of my head, BN kills the suicide bomber supe. Homelander kills the one airbending supe (although they don't really explain this too well). They're also dispatched to track down and kill Kimiko's brother, who is there to commit an act of terrorism. As we saw during that fight, the Seven don't really care about minimizing damage to the civilians.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I feel like Vought trying to keep Ryan and the super kid on the DL is really two parts tied to Edgar's speech about what the company really is, a pharma company.

1) It's bad PR to have your most prominent hero outed as a rapist while also learning the company forced this rape victim to be functionally locked up, then on top of that being forced to relive her trauma because they have no effective check on HL. It really destroys all the work they did in getting that military contract if you suddenly find out the "hero" is actually a monster the big company you signed on with can't manage. It makes everything the AOC stand in has been saying even more obviously true and Vought doesn't want to lose that dynamic (we control the only thing that can save you, well if you can't then umm). On top of that good luck selling a movie franchise with HL at the forefront anymore.

2) It would be really bad for the pharma business if folks knew there was a chance you could have a super kid by loving a super. V is out in the open, but at least on some level if you're the only place that makes it and you survive the open PR hit, you now have the market by the balls. If it gets out "oh yeah you don't have to buy our super juice, just go find you a super baby daddy" it really undercuts how they can sell and market V once they're able to. Imagine the dudes that would stop being a "super hero" to become "supes gigollo on the 1 800 number, get your appointment today" and how badly that would again undermine the Vought business model. Or alternatively the foreign governments that would offer defection options to supers to breed kids for their own supes weapons program. It's REALLY bad for business and the global power dynamic that keeps the money flowing if it comes out that you can keep this thing going without the V. (A-Train knows better than to gently caress with the money, which is really the core of the threat that Butcher made imo).

I will also second third whatever that The Deep just taking the "gently caress yeah" from Maeve to his question was just comedy gold. He suddenly has enough self-realization to even ask the question, but still doesn't get how it's an issue.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 21, 2020

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Ironically enough The Deep is doing actual heroics WRT liberating his fish friends if you believe the show's take that they have consciousness and a rich inner life, and as much as his sex creeping his gently caress up of the seaworld sponsorship got Vought to exile him to Decatur or whatever.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Look like one of the shot down theories from a couple days ago was right after all, footage from a cell phone on the botched plane rescue at 0:22

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

As Nero Danced posted:

Look like one of the shot down theories from a couple days ago was right after all, footage from a cell phone on the botched plane rescue at 0:22

Oh wow. Good catch.

THAT is going to gently caress up his public image.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Poor Maeve getting owned over and over again

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I do love how the plane incident proves Homelander is definitely dumber than Superman, because Superman could've lasered the engines off and just *carried* the plane to safety. That does pose another question - how much can Homelander bench?

(and yes, I'm aware the primary reason he let everyone die was because they knew he hosed up)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I do love how the plane incident proves Homelander is definitely dumber than Superman, because Superman could've lasered the engines off and just *carried* the plane to safety. That does pose another question - how much can Homelander bench?

(and yes, I'm aware the primary reason he let everyone die was because they knew he hosed up)

Watch the scene again. They discuss this. Where exactly could he apply enough force on the plane that could sustain the weight of being lifted?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I wonder if Supe babies can be delivered like normal, or if Ryan was ready to force his way out in a month and the only thing that kept Becca alive was Vought an emergency C section by Vought medicine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

He could have also ferried people down to the water several times and, if he's as fast as he was saving butcher and baby from that explosion, everyone could have been saved before the plane crashed.

But, again, I think the writers wanted to show all of us how lovely and vain he actually is.