Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I'm planning a Disney trip for my family (our kids are 2 and 5). I want to make it special for them, since it's a big family vacation that won't happen again soon (if at all). I see the OP was last edited in 2015/2016, but is it pretty accurate with the basics? We'll probably go before my son turns 3 in May (so he's free), so I know we'll likely have to manage COVID restrictions which we're okay with.

I'm thinking of finding a reputable travel agent to help plan this, since it's a one-time (maybe two-time) big vacation. Any recommendations on agents to book through?

(My wife and I haven't been to Disney since we were both kids - probably 20 years - so it'll be a magical experience for us, too. :) )

Our one and only Braksgirl can give you the assistance you need.
Also, I've heard with the age 3 thing, if your child looks sufficiently young enough, you can scoot by. It's not like they are asking for birth certificates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I'm planning a Disney trip for my family (our kids are 2 and 5). I want to make it special for them, since it's a big family vacation that won't happen again soon (if at all). I see the OP was last edited in 2015/2016, but is it pretty accurate with the basics? We'll probably go before my son turns 3 in May (so he's free), so I know we'll likely have to manage COVID restrictions which we're okay with.

I'm thinking of finding a reputable travel agent to help plan this, since it's a one-time (maybe two-time) big vacation. Any recommendations on agents to book through?

(My wife and I haven't been to Disney since we were both kids - probably 20 years - so it'll be a magical experience for us, too. :) )

I'm a travel agent. I'd be glad to help you plan a trip. You can pm here and I can give you more contact details.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Braksgirl is the goon recommended Disney guru and she’ll get you all setup for a great trip

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Bottom Liner posted:

Braksgirl is the goon recommended Disney guru and she’ll get you all setup for a great trip
I can vouch for Braksgirl. She set up a great trip for me and my wife a few years ago. She was great at staying in contact, and she wrangled us a couple of deals we wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Braksgirl is awesome and you should totally have her help you out with your trip. You will not regret it!

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
+1 to the long list of satisfied goon customers

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Braksgirl posted:

I'm a travel agent. I'd be glad to help you plan a trip. You can pm here and I can give you more contact details.

What are the best destinations to catch the Roni at?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Fame Douglas posted:

You got any Boomer relatives? I’d check there first.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
Another Braksgirl testimonial here!

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
And another one. Braksgirl arranged my April 2017 visit, and I was very satisfied with the whole experience.

Fame Douglas posted:

From what I read, WDW's attendance cap has been raised semi-recently, but I don't know by how many.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

PurpleButterfly posted:

And another one. Braksgirl arranged my April 2017 visit, and I was very satisfied with the whole experience.

From what I read, WDW's attendance cap has been raised semi-recently, but I don't know by how many.

It’s going up on November 6th. We’re planning on going from the 1st-5th :v:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
if nintendo land doesn’t feature tracks from the mario galaxy soundtrack it will be an actual crime

rosalina in the observatory 2 gives me that “i’m in disney world” vibe so hard

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Hazo posted:

It’s going up on November 6th. We’re planning on going from the 1st-5th :v:

Ugh. I'm going to be there that whole week. I hope it's not too bad. Do you know if they're only raising the cap on Magic Kingdom? Starting on the 6th they're open an additional hour, from 9am-7pm. The other parks hours aren't changing on that day.

edit: So here's a question. I'm staying at Pop Century. If I want to get to Hollywood Studios for rope drop, what's my best option? Get up early and wait in line for a bus, get up early and get in line for the Skyliner, or a ride share? If I go with a ride share, do I risk getting stuck in traffic from everyone else driving into the park?

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 20, 2020

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Jose Oquendo posted:

Ugh. I'm going to be there that whole week. I hope it's not too bad. Do you know if they're only raising the cap on Magic Kingdom? Starting on the 6th they're open an additional hour, from 9am-7pm. The other parks hours aren't changing on that day.

edit: So here's a question. I'm staying at Pop Century. If I want to get to Hollywood Studios for rope drop, what's my best option? Get up early and wait in line for a bus, get up early and get in line for the Skyliner, or a ride share? If I go with a ride share, do I risk getting stuck in traffic from everyone else driving into the park?

Back in December the answer was bus or ride share. Skyliner didn’t even start running till way after they were letting people in for boarding passes. Look up when you need to be there for boarding passes then ask at the hotel front desk when the first buses to studios are and when the skyliner service to studios starts. If those services don’t get you there early enough use a ride share service. Traffic should not be an issue.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Jose Oquendo posted:

Rope Drop as in "be in the park in time for a 10 am Rise of the Resistance boarding pass", or Rope Drop at "the exact front of the line because you want to be one of the first dozen people on Runaway, or Slinky Dog"?

Disney transportation is good enough to get you in the park for the 10AM RotR boarding pass rush. You can't count on it to be one of the first in the parks to get on any of the other rides. Rideshare is the way to go there.

I don't think it's going to be super busy that week, but I'm not sure how Covid has affected Disney transportation. I was last there at the end of Feb and if we caught the first bus from our resort we were in good shape as far as rope drop went. The Skyliner doesn't start running early enough to get to the front of the pack though, or at least it didn't during our last visit.

Things were much crazier when I was last there in late Feb. I think the gates opened at 7AM for an 8AM park opening, so you had to be there at 6:30 or earlier if you wanted to be one of the first groups on the falcon or slinky dog. We went 3 mornings I think and grabbed the first bus from the Contemporary each morning and were able to get a top ride in each morning with less than 30 minutes wait.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

skipdogg posted:

Rope Drop as in "be in the park in time for a 10 am Rise of the Resistance boarding pass", or Rope Drop at "the exact front of the line because you want to be one of the first dozen people on Runaway, or Slinky Dog"?

Disney transportation is good enough to get you in the park for the 10AM RotR boarding pass rush. You can't count on it to be one of the first in the parks to get on any of the other rides. Rideshare is the way to go there.

I don't think it's going to be super busy that week, but I'm not sure how Covid has affected Disney transportation. I was last there at the end of Feb and if we caught the first bus from our resort we were in good shape as far as rope drop went. The Skyliner doesn't start running early enough to get to the front of the pack though, or at least it didn't during our last visit.

Things were much crazier when I was last there in late Feb. I think the gates opened at 7AM for an 8AM park opening, so you had to be there at 6:30 or earlier if you wanted to be one of the first groups on the falcon or slinky dog. We went 3 mornings I think and grabbed the first bus from the Contemporary each morning and were able to get a top ride in each morning with less than 30 minutes wait.

I just want to get the 10am ROR boarding pass (or try). Not too worried about being first in line for Runway or Slinky. How early do you think I should be in line for the first bus out of the hotel? Buses would start running at 9:15am. Should I be in line at 8:30? 8:45?

I can't find info on WDW's site on when the Skyliner starts but from what I can find elsewhere online, they're running an hour before the park opens. The problem with the Skyliner is I'd possibly run into a long time when I switch gondolas at the Caribbean.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Right after the Skyliner opened, they didn’t run buses to HS from Pop if I recall. Not sure what they’re doing right now though.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Braksgirl posted:

Right after the Skyliner opened, they didn’t run buses to HS from Pop if I recall. Not sure what they’re doing right now though.

Noted. I'll be sure to check with the front desk.

edit: Related to my earlier question, for those who have been there recently, how early do they tend to open the parking lots up for HS? This would determine when I'd have to get a ride share.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 20, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

All right, I took the plunge and did the haunts at Universal.

First things first: the parks are very crowded. Restaurants are mandating distancing (like through blocking off tables) but Universal furloughed way more employees than they probably should have and no longer have enough to monitor guests for distancing and masks. They're apparently operating at full capacity despite the use of virtual lines and distanced queues, which means the 6-foot bubble does not exist. Just remember that simply passing within less than 6 feet of someone for a few seconds does not count as "close contact" so this doesn't necessarily mean you're going to die, but avoid walking by anyone who's unmasked. They don't have a "while stationary" rule for eating and drinking, which means about 10% of the guests you see will be violating mask procedures in some form or another. People also like to ride your rear end in queues (especially if there's a large party who insists that they need to spread themselves across the entire space) so if you're sufficiently tough you may want to get used to getting people to back off.

I can honestly see why they canceled HHN. I've been to many Halloween events and independent haunts around the country from coast to coast and the HHN Orlando crowds are bizarrely violent and entitled whether or not alcohol is involved. I've never in my life seen worse people than there, except maybe a Trump rally. If they tried running even a limited ticket event with the average guest behavior, I can guarantee there would be fights and arrests nightly.

This also means that if you want virtual line passes, you basically have to be there at opening. The two houses got their virtual passes unlocked a few minutes after 9:00 and were gone within seconds. I just barely managed to snag times for both of them and they were already between 2:50 and 3:50 for both. I was also lucky enough to get a ticket for Hagrid's and it's the best ride between both parks, bar none.

Actual house procedures are much safer than the normal park. The ops staff in the house have foam sticks that they use to physically block you from going forward every room or two until the party ahead of you is sufficiently distanced. Actors are masked and plexiglass is placed in front of each boohole (which also helps the scareactors not get punched!). As an individual attraction it's absolutely doable and about as safe as you can be without putting yourself in a hazmat suit or hiding in a panic room until 2022.

As far as house quality, Bride of Frankenstein is the big AAA house. Projections, a huge facade, expensive and elaborate sets, effects, flying rigs, quality actors, and a coherent narrative from start to finish. Tooth Fairy is the throwaway house that, in any other year, you'd do once and forget.

The one major problem with both is the same problem that plagues normal HHN: daylight. They seem to have forgotten or blown off the fact that it takes a while for your vision to adjust to the dark, and that every guest for this preview would be entering straight from bright Florida sunshine. Tooth Fairy in particular is so dark I could barely see the path, let along the scenery.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

A friend had a family vacation here this week and they did Disney and Universal. After the first day in Universal they decided against going back for their second. They said the difference was night and day between Disney/Universal.

I hope the Bride house is around next year, sounds cool.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Universal seems to just "gently caress all" about limiting attendance at all. I know it's a great idea but shouldn't they be required? I know I know, Desantis

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Junkie Disease posted:

Universal seems to just "gently caress all" about limiting attendance at all. I know it's a great idea but shouldn't they be required? I know I know, Desantis

DeSantis even had a rally of sorts at Universal to demand that theme parks open up at full capacity and restart tourism full blast. And threatening to withhold funding from schools that refused to send students back while not requiring masks or distancing.

This was, of course, before saying bars could reopen at low capacity. Because clearly they're the problem child.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Universal's issue is plain and simply the weekends. They decided to try and boost sales by offering a Buy a One Day Ticket, get the rest of 2020 free deal, and it worked in spades, and of course, this means the park is INSANE on Saturdays and sometimes Sundays. But go on a Monday-Friday and it's basically empty for most of the day.

If you must go to theme parks, don't go on the weekends, it's just asking for a shitshow.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
They closed the garages at Universal on Saturday around 10:45, they limited capacity, but it was still capped, both theme parks and the water park hit capacity. They opened them back up a few hours. They *did* release new times during the day for the houses, since I managed to snag one at 12:30 for 3:30 at the Bride of Frankenstein, which was solid. And the houses work surprisingly well with the setup. Much of the "hanging stuff" and visibility limiting stuff they had in the houses in the past they got rid of, and there was lots of plexiglass where there was even a chance of getting into the face of an actor. Food lines are bad on Saturday (get a reservation at a sit down place in the park and save the hassle). M-F though is dead by comparison. It did feel crowded, but still manageable, although I've been enough where to go and not go to avoid the crowds (and when). And it generally worked.

Some of the other haloween events like trick or treat and the stamp collection thing were dated Sep 18-Nov1st, so I'd imagine the houses may stick around until then or a bit later. I do hope they start opening them up during the week instead of just weekends. Avoid Saturday's if you can, Sunday is the better weekend day to go if you must. This past Sunday I heard was a lot better (but the weather was also rainy/windy for half the day)

Neatest Surprise was the "Skeleton Bar"', worth checking out if it's open when you are there. Also the Facade for the front of the Jurassic Coaster reminds me of Matterhorn now, it's crazy big.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Someone sent this to me this morning. I’m not in the FB group where it got posted, but it looks busy at pop

https://imgur.com/a/Y9KEBtX

I've got mixed feelings about WDW being open right now. I think Disney is doing a good job working with that it can, and I'd feel safer being at WDW than I would my local Costco or Grocery store.

I wouldn't recommend anyone visit during the current restrictions as a once in a lifetime trip, there's just too much missing, hours are shorter, etc.

Visiting right now is a personal decision, but my current opinion is it's just too expensive of a vacation to get 65% of WDW at 100% pricing.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 21, 2020

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

skipdogg posted:

Visiting right now is a personal decision, but my current opinion is it's just too expensive of a vacation to get 65% of WDW at 100% pricing.

While I'm behind you on all of this, it's important to remember that so many people are emotionally drained right now that even a 65% vacation can feel very nice right now given how soul crushing this year has been.

My wife and I try to patronize at least 1 local restaurant a week here (and yes I know even that activity has its own criticisms). Just that meal gives us just enough escape to help make things a little better.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

couldcareless posted:

While I'm behind you on all of this, it's important to remember that so many people are emotionally drained right now that even a 65% vacation can feel very nice right now given how soul crushing this year has been.

My wife and I try to patronize at least 1 local restaurant a week here (and yes I know even that activity has its own criticisms). Just that meal gives us just enough escape to help make things a little better.

Oh I get that. We still did our annual beach vacation this year, and it was very nice to have just a few days to feel somewhat normal. It was different than our usual trip, but it was still nice to go. Normally we have like 4 generations of the family sharing a giant condo at the Caribe in Orange Beach, but this year the older folks stayed home and we got a smaller condo on the beach at one of the Phoenix resorts so we could social distance.

For me it's just a value thing. WDW is so expensive for my family of 4 to visit, that I can't justify the outlay right now. Especially since we like to park hop, and stay out late. Oh man I just realized my oldest is now a Disney adult.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

skipdogg posted:

Visiting right now is a personal decision

risking killing others by getting infected with a virus (or possibly yourself) will always be absolutely moronic, irresponsible, and shows a lot about how much you value others in life. it's got nothing to do with being a personal decision and everything to do with being an entitled person.

that said, every other dumbass in my area who's stocking shelves or checking people out has their mask down around their chin anyway so what the gently caress even matters? people are idiots and there's a reason the US is suffering a hell of a lot more than other countries. It's because we're too stupid and rebellious for our own good (and too driven for money, but that's another issue).

so no; inherently its no worse than going to any other place. the difference being that disney world is not a necessary place to go like the grocery store is. and the grocery store should be doing better in terms of risk control than a theme park is.

couldcareless posted:

I get take-out at places that are maintaining careful guidelines every now and again. Otherwise, they can all burn.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

personal decision making is why we have over 200,000 dead Americans right now. and many of them didn't get a say in those personal decisions

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I don't share that destructive attitude towards a lot of our local restaurants. We have been lucky that all of the ones we frequent follow the guidelines and in some cases go above and beyond.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It’s not even people’s fault for being stupid. It’s been the conservative strategy for decades to push anti-intellectualism in the name of faux morality politics so it’s no surprise that people are so ill informed when there’s a pandemic and scientists beg and plead people to do the smart thing while the federal government censors them and tells people to throw themselves into the maw of capitalism.

I’m still mad that Disney reopened but more mad that if they didn’t a lot of people I know would be homeless right now because of the lack of social programs. Imagine if our government fought Covid, climate change, or poverty the way it fought BLM.

I’m just ranting wildly now but whatever. Everything is awful but the pitchforks should be aimed at the top. Be safe, be smart, don’t tear each other apart and forget the real enemy.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Bottom Liner posted:

Imagine if our government fought Covid, climate change, or poverty the way it fought BLM.

I never put it into perspective like this but ugh. Sorry for politics in the Disney thread.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Imagine if our government fought Covid, climate change, or poverty the way it fought BLM.

I’m just ranting wildly now but whatever. Everything is awful but the pitchforks should be aimed at the top. Be safe, be smart, don’t tear each other apart and forget the real enemy.

I would run for president on this platform (vote fluffy bunnies 2024) like we're going to be a voting nation by 2024 :lol:

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Holy poo poo the new Beauty and the Beast ride in Tokyo looks amazing

Edit: except like, for how long the scenes are, there’s not a lot going on. Dark rides are great when there are fully fleshed out scenes with many details. Think of all the new stuff you see every time you ride Pirates or Spaceship Earth. It’s makes rides more re-rideable.

BlueBayou fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 21, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Everytime Fluffy Bunnies posts their take on covid life, I'm amazed someone can take that kind of Quarantine Forever strategy without going mad. It probably requires being a skilled worker with a job that doesn't require a physical presence or else the rebooted, drat-the-consequences economy is leaving you behind. They were also the one that talked about going to the grocery store as an every two week thing, and that's a weekly at minimum and sometimes twice a week thing for me because my cold storage isn't big enough to hold two weeks worth of food for two people.

I'm not going to Disney World soon, I'm just here to read developments and share stories sometimes. However, I wouldn't stoop to badmouthing people because they're psychologically unable to endure nine months of living in isolation without some sort of therapeutic relief.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fluffy bunnies must have a comfortable job as a computer toucher because as a minimum wage slave myself the world is exactly not like that and I don't have the opportunity to hide in my house and ignore the world.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, it’s really easy to tell every restaurant to “burn” when even to-go-only sales cut into their bottom line so badly that they were still struggling to remain open. Most Americans don’t get the comfort of sitting around with their jobs closed for most of the year because OOPS no social safety net if your restaurant or store closes permanently!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And I don't mean to be mean to you fluffy bunnies, I think there's just a very strong disconnect between the lower class and the middle class now. I say that as someone who got a covid test today cuz I'm sick rip.

Also I feel like a lot of the traffic are locals who never had the money or time to go to Disney or Universal and thanks to the UBI they have both now. It's also why I have 0 sympathy for any business that crys about not finding employees because they're all collecting and making more. No poo poo, pay emoyee more and get employees.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Empress Brosephine posted:

Also I feel like a lot of the traffic are locals who never had the money or time to go to Disney or Universal and thanks to the UBI they have both now.

the what now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Erm the unemployment benefit income