Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Lungboy posted:

What measures? From the press briefings it sounds like it will be pubs closing early and not much else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

One of my neighbours (over 80, had a post-mastectomy appointment to begin radiotherapy postponed from July to next February etc) said to me 2 days ago "Well the government are doing their best". "I might have to disagree with you on that" I said! Another one who only gets her news from BBC & Sky. She has no internet.

No no, she's right.

It is their best.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Angepain posted:

Nicola Sturgeon has made some noises about her announcement in the next day or two being potentially different from the rest of the uk if boris isn't on board with the measures she wants, so hopefully she follows through on that, to the extent it's possible to do. I mean the SNP have a fair deal of faults but they're not at the level of utter disdain for human lives as the tories, at least.

Hopefully she shuts the border without permission and we can kick off the next stage in this disaster. Might as well move things forward.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Pistol_Pete posted:

Perhaps everyone commenting spends a lot of time in Wetherspoons, I dunno v:shobon:v

unsurprisingly closing all recreation and leisure while keeping offices open leads to people presuming the virus mustn't have been that threatening to begin with and also were unpopular.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1308024157611884545

if i missed discussion of this apologies but YO WHAT THE gently caress

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Angepain posted:

Nicola Sturgeon has made some noises about her announcement in the next day or two being potentially different from the rest of the uk if boris isn't on board with the measures she wants, so hopefully she follows through on that, to the extent it's possible to do. I mean the SNP have a fair deal of faults but they're not at the level of utter disdain for human lives as the tories, at least.

I'll be impressed if she does because so far the Scottish government's policy has been the UK governments but with better messaging. Though that's more an indictment on Boris & co than a ringing endorsement of Sturgeon.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Hopefully she shuts the border without permission and we can kick off the next stage in this disaster. Might as well move things forward.

Nah, canny thing is saving that until after the next Holyrood election (ooooh, there's a thought, could BoJo postpone it? That'd be a lark) and the inevitable pro-indy party majority (wouldn't be shocked if the Nats get there on their own but definitely between them & Greens) followed by Westminster refusing to allow another referendum, declaring the issue settled. That's when you start with the big guns. Probably also have to be willing to face imprisonment too & I'm not sure about the backbone of most Nat MSPs & MPs.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I assumed it was an Academy, and I was right

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Oh dear me posted:

It is not actually certain who first wrote that entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily, but it was definitely not the New Atheists.

Well thank gently caress for that. At this point I'm so disgusted with them (TBH with my slavish late-teens early-twenties devotion to them, and to American libertarian bollocks) that I'm tempted to become a monk just to get away from them (and me). All I can say is that at least I got better before Reddit came along, and now I'm going to go and have a shave just to be sure.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
Cool new slogan coming out from the Labour Party

quote:

Recover. Retrain. Rebuild.
(ed: to give them credit, at least these are 3 different words this time.)

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
build back better

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1308069545274376194?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Retrain for WHAT exactly?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

One of lil' jon's lesser known songs.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Retrain for WHAT exactly?

- bike mechanic
- leather salvager
- dome cleaner

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

This is a very strange statement to make. Not because it's not the kind of thing that the tories would do, but because the "moonshot" is an entirely fictional concept whose large numbers are plucked from the aether with no basis in reality. Why bother to make any statement about the cost (or not) of something that does not, currently cannot, and most likely will not exist?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So tomorrow's announcements will literally just be pubs and restaurants closing an hour early? After today's announcement that we're all hosed?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

- bike mechanic
- leather salvager
- dome cleaner

- warboy

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Saw this comment on the BBC

quote:

In 1976 the UK had to go cap in hand to the IMF because of Labours mismanagement of the economy. In 1979 Thatcher came to power and faced massive demands for change from the IMF for continued support. What she did you might question, but something had to be done and quickly. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, pity it's not foresight! Thatcher dragged the UK out of the IMF's clutches.

Am I right in thinking that the loan was paid off before Thatcher got into power?

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
The details, such as they are

Recover posted:

Labour is calling for a Job Recovery Scheme to give businesses and workers much-needed certainty

It would enable businesses in key sectors to bring back more staff on reduced hours, with government subsidising a proportion of wages for the rest of the working week

Employers would be incentivised to offer their staff high-quality training

Unlike the Tories’ scheme, it wouldn’t just be a blank cheque – support would go to decent businesses that treat their workers well

Retrain posted:

We are calling for a nationwide Retraining Strategy for the unemployed and those facing unemployment

The strategy should help those whose hours have been cut to increase their skills or to retrain in a new field

It should enable people who have lost their jobs to transition into new work

It must also build up capacity in adult education and the JobCentre Plus network, after years of neglect. Otherwise, those people who want to retrain won’t be able to access the opportunities they desperately need

To achieve this, the government must bring forward the £3 billion which the Chancellor has earmarked for a National Skills Fund, so that money can be put to use right now, when it is most needed

Rebuild posted:

The government must introduce a Business Rebuilding Programme without delay

The programme would do for businesses with debt what we’ve repeatedly asked the Chancellor to do for workers whose jobs are at risk

The programme needs to be set in train now to give businesses the certainty they crave and so we don’t end up once again with last-minute panicked schemes that waste public money

Any programme must be targeted, so that support goes to responsible businesses that are going to invest for the future – including meeting our net-zero target
Nothing actively bad from a capitalism-management perspective, but not really any useful details, and still no indication of how retraining helps people get a job in a demand-hosed economy, since the best this set of ideas can do is stop further collapse. I eagerly* await information on how this would be put into practice.

also, they're naming the Conservative spending record during the pandemic the "Tories' File Of Failure"

* with resignation

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

stev posted:

So tomorrow's announcements will literally just be pubs and restaurants closing an hour early? After today's announcement that we're all hosed?

Probably something about covid marshals or bobbies on the beat to look for violations of the guidance young people to shout at, except that'll have to be funded from council budgets that are already empty and so is really just there to placate suburban home counties right wing news readers and make them think Something Is Being Done.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Niric posted:

This is a very strange statement to make. Not because it's not the kind of thing that the tories would do, but because the "moonshot" is an entirely fictional concept whose large numbers are plucked from the aether with no basis in reality. Why bother to make any statement about the cost (or not) of something that does not, currently cannot, and most likely will not exist?

Think like a tory, even if the thing doesn't exist, you are absolutely certain that you will not be funding it.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

CGI Stardust posted:

"Tories' File Of Failure"

Someone called kier the toryphile of failure and a light bulb flashed above his head

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

bump_fn posted:

Do they mean cameras outside toilets to see who's going in because otherwise :stonk:

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Butternubs posted:

Genuinely cannot comprehend the level of incompetence this government is showing.

Like usually sure the Tories are evil but you feel like there's some evil end goal they're working to that gets them loads of money but what the gently caress are they doing. Stay at home, go out, stay 6 feet apart, go to school, go the pub, wear a mask (unless you don't feel like it) don't go the pub (but be home before 10pm when the virus goes to bed).

The usual tory plan is to funnel money upwards to their mates but surely some of their non-Russian backers will be upset if they collapse the entire economy?

Here's the thing though, rentierist revenue streams are entirely protected. Since the 2008 bailouts everyone has just tacitly accepted/traded on the fact that if a financial crash will gently caress up the bottom bit of Maslows Hierarchy for enough people then the gov will just foot the bill and the industry will keep functioning with barely an interruption.

It's not just funnelling money to mates it's a very significant chunk of the capitalist class have logically invested, read also traded on fifty times, in sectors that are so insulated from the wider economy that if it crashes ok? Worst case is a lot of homeless people, a lot of people falling into personal debt, a lot of pointless pain but all it functionally means for the money people is more demand for shittier jobs, more debt streams to be traded on and the gov will print cash and give it to you because you hold enough of the capital assets that you are hypothetically stopping anarchy by not going under.

It's not just favours for friends it's much much worse than that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bessantj posted:

Do they mean cameras outside toilets to see who's going in because otherwise :stonk:

Apparently "only to see the basins and the entrance"

https://www.lynnnews.co.uk/news/is-big-brother-watching-cctv-installed-in-school-students-toilets-9088204/

So presumably they are not literally watching you poo poo, just the outside of the cubicle you are making GBS threads in, which is of course totally normal.

quote:

However, Smithdon headteacher John Hirst said: "The installation of CCTV in the student toilets is not new to schools to West Norfolk or indeed the country - it is a common policy for many schools to ensure the safeguarding of pupils.

"We have installed CCTV at Smithdon to secure the health and personal safety of all students and to prevent vandalism and damage. We also want to be able to ensure effective resolution of any concerns or accusations.

"The cameras are designed to only see the entrance of the toilets and the hand basins. We must stress that students' privacy is assured, and that access is restricted to the head of our site team for the viewing of the cameras.

"We welcome any parents to get in touch with us with their questions and concerns about the CCTV."

The letter said the cameras were designed to see only the entrance to the toilets and handbasins and insisted students' privacy was "assured", with only the head of site being able to access the footage.

The school is part of the West Norfolk Academies Trust, which says it has a policy for the use of CCTV but does not use it in all its schools.

A spokesman said: "Signs are displayed to notify all users that CCTV is in operation and the images filmed are held in a secure location that can only be accessed by those who are authorised to do so.

"Every camera records simultaneously and the images are stored on disc for a period of up to 10 days. After that time all images are erased apart from any which relate to an incident subject to an ongoing investigation.

"Routine checks are also made to ensure that the system is operating in accordance with the terms of this policy, and that information relating to the recordings are accurate."

Definitely no perverts here.

I enjoy the justifications such as "lots of people do it" and "we tell the students that we're doing it so it's not weird"

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 21, 2020

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I still maintain that nerds have been fine with the lockdown measures because when people say 'oh it'll only kill 1% of the population,' we all know exactly how often that 1% chance tends to occur.

Mandatory X-COM reeducation camps for all!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

bump_fn posted:

this is an extremely post-snowden guardian way of framing this story

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Also, did anyone else see the story about Tory mayoral candidate and massive racist Shaun Bailey suggesting that the names of London Underground stations could be 'sold' to raise money.

What a oval office

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

CGI Stardust posted:

Nothing actively bad from a capitalism-management perspective, but not really any useful details, and still no indication of how retraining helps people get a job in a demand-hosed economy, since the best this set of ideas can do is stop further collapse. I eagerly* await information on how this would be put into practice.

also, they're naming the Conservative spending record during the pandemic the "Tories' File Of Failure"

* with resignation

It'd be pretty cool if they spent tens of millions retraining people for jobs that will be obsolete in a few years. Just pay everyone to broadcast their lives on Twitch, police state yourself.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

CGI Stardust posted:

Something something learn to code.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

kingturnip posted:

Also, did anyone else see the story about Tory mayoral candidate and massive racist Shaun Bailey suggesting that the names of London Underground stations could be 'sold' to raise money.

What a oval office

that's something the Tories regularly trot out
but it's never come to anything. TfL have looked into it, and the costs involved just don't stack up against how much anyone would be willing to actually pay for naming rights.
notably it didn't happen in the 8 years that we did have a Tory mayor and he could've signed off on it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Apparently "only to see the basins and the entrance"

https://www.lynnnews.co.uk/news/is-big-brother-watching-cctv-installed-in-school-students-toilets-9088204/

So presumably they are not literally watching you poo poo, just the outside of the cubicle you are making GBS threads in, which is of course totally normal.

Definitely no perverts here.

I enjoy the justifications such as "lots of people do it" and "we tell the students that we're doing it so it's not weird"

That is a little hosed up.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Cerv posted:

that's something the Tories regularly trot out
but it's never come to anything. TfL have looked into it, and the costs involved just don't stack up against how much anyone would be willing to actually pay for naming rights.
notably it didn't happen in the 8 years that we did have a Tory mayor and he could've signed off on it.

They should get Vauxhall to pay up for all those years of free advertising first

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Right so if this thing even existed (which it doesn't) we would still be hosed if we're not rich. At least they are consistent about it I suppose

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Cerv posted:

It kinda did happen, but no-one actually travels on the EmiratesTM Air Line, so everyone forgets it exists

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The entire fictitious moneyshot program is being paid for with public money right?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

moonshot is a funny term for a country that’s never landed on the moon, and didn’t our last mars probe kersplat on entry?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Something something learn to code.

I call app Britain!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Think like a tory, even if the thing doesn't exist, you are absolutely certain that you will not be funding it.
But what if my good chum Anthony from Balliol College owns the company? Surely that's worth funding?

OwlFancier posted:

Completely missing the main outrage to focus on something trivial here, but I hate academies having 'site teams' and 'relations managers' more than I hated grammar schools having bursars and rectors. At least the old latin fucks had a rich history of stupid poo poo to go with their money grubbing, stealing names from Marcus Aurelius rather than Walmart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is a "site team" not just the word for facilities? Like the people who make the site work rather than conduct the business for which the site is constructed?