Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
And again, the difference is necessary and unnecessary risk. It's up to you if the risk of killing yourself or anyone you come into contact with for 5-10 days is worth it to go to a theme park but I would choose a safer temporary escape from hellworld like camping or a secluded beach trip or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Empress Brosephine posted:

Erm the unemployment benefit income

Yeah that $250/week* sure is enough to live on AND do something you could never afford to before

*literally doesn't cover rent in Orlando

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I like it when people intentionally don't read the things I write then try to flex at me or whatever the hell.

Let's quote myself!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

risking killing others by getting infected with a virus (or possibly yourself) will always be absolutely moronic, irresponsible, and shows a lot about how much you value others in life. it's got nothing to do with being a personal decision and everything to do with being an entitled person.

that said, every other dumbass in my area who's stocking shelves or checking people out has their mask down around their chin anyway so what the gently caress even matters? people are idiots and there's a reason the US is suffering a hell of a lot more than other countries. It's because we're too stupid and rebellious for our own good (and too driven for money, but that's another issue).

so no; inherently its no worse than going to any other place. the difference being that disney world is not a necessary place to go like the grocery store is. and the grocery store should be doing better in terms of risk control than a theme park is.

None of this says there's anything wrong with necessary things being open. A theme park is not a necessity. We should be taking care of people whose jobs are non-essential. We aren't.

Bottom Liner posted:

Everything is awful but the pitchforks should be aimed at the top. Be safe, be smart, don’t tear each other apart and forget the real enemy.

This pretty much sums up my feelings but people going "OH WELL, YOU CAN'T QUARANTINE FOREVER AND PEOPLE DESERVE HAPPY TIME" makes my brain explode. We never quarantined forever. The US did a lovely half-assed job of quarantining for about 6 weeks and everything has been pretty normal ever since. You might have to wear a mask. There might not be a parade. Boo-hoo. Tip another thousand dead people in the hole while someone complains that they can't watch Happily Ever After. The US perspective of covid is intensely warped.

quote:

I get take-out at places that are maintaining careful guidelines every now and again. Otherwise, they can all burn.

I think you have to pretty willing to spread disease if you're visiting restaurants right now and eating at them. If they're following guidelines, I know it's pretty minimal risk. But it's not absolving you of risk. You could still be a disease vector. You could still kill someone, because you didn't want to order take-out instead of eating in. Restaurants that follow CDC guidelines are fine. Several of them in my area suffer from the same mask-on-chin stupidity as a lot of others around here. If they are actively endangering the public by not following those guidelines, gently caress'em.

And I don't mean to be mean to you fluffy bunnies, I think there's just a very strong disconnect between the lower class and the middle class now. I say that as someone who got a covid test today cuz I'm sick rip.

Also I feel like a lot of the traffic are locals who never had the money or time to go to Disney or Universal and thanks to the UBI they have both now. It's also why I have 0 sympathy for any business that crys about not finding employees because they're all collecting and making more. No poo poo, pay emoyee more and get employees.

:lol: my roof leaks and I can't afford new glasses. I'm so hardcore middle class.

It must be nice to just "feel sick" and be able to get a covid test. Because I'll be dead if I get it, likely before I can secure a reservation to get tested.

Hope you don't have it though!

Ultimately: the way people talk about doing non-essential "fun" things that have inherent risk big enough that places like Disney are saying "hey you could die if you come here and you can't sue us" is crazy stuff. You're going to Epcot for a beer and you could die for it. Or you could kill someone else. And I have no idea why anyone would cheerfully go "oh yeah! but safety protocols are great!" when you're risking even one human life for a ride on Spaceship Earth. Covid isn't gone. It isn't slowing down. None of the parks should be open. And the fact that anyone thinks it's acceptable to risk human lives to go to them blows my whole mind.

E:

Bottom Liner posted:

And again, the difference is necessary and unnecessary risk. It's up to you if the risk of killing yourself or anyone you come into contact with for 5-10 days is worth it to go to a theme park but I would choose a safer temporary escape from hellworld like camping or a secluded beach trip or something.

Maybe it's because I've been so poor for so long throughout my life, but drat. It's like people think they're gonna explode or something if they don't get to do their extra fun stuff this year.

You basically outline what I'm saying in one sentence. I just cannot fathom anything non-essential being important enough to risk dying or killing someone else over in the midst of the worst sickness the US has seen in over a hundred years. How can you choose to potentially put other people in danger to go see Mickey from 90 ft away?

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 21, 2020

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Covid testing is free, I'm confused why you can't go get one

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here in the north east you just go to a drive up and don't need a reservation is it different elsewhere

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I don't think anyone was telling people not to go to work or the grocery store itt, but plenty of people who aren't public health experts were saying they felt safer at Disney than at the grocery store, which is just silly

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Here in the north east you just go to a drive up and don't need a reservation is it different elsewhere

Yes.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I live where King Kemp reigns supreme and it is a thousand times different down here. Please stay up north where it is a lot safer. You guys actually quarantined. Down here? People get gas, with no mask on, wipe their face, rub their hand all over the pump nozzle, cough, then leave. And then the next guy does it, too. The next available covid test in my area is 9 days from now.

E: To the best of my knowledge, there are no ICU beds available. Nobody cares. They still all go to Bonefish Grill and sit shoulders-touching from each other with no masks on while the AC blasts them.

alg posted:

I don't think anyone was telling people not to go to work or the grocery store itt, but plenty of people who aren't public health experts were saying they felt safer at Disney than at the grocery store, which is just silly

Yeah, I'm not telling people not to work. They shouldn't have to, but we have a worthless government in charge. I work 12-14 hour days. Occasionally, my work puts me in a not great spot, too.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 21, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Its almost like there are other countries that have done a better job at handling the crisis and still have basic things like restaurants. My Insta feed is full of pictures of the Tokyo DL and Pokémon Cafe.

You can say the US policy was to want the benefits of an extended lockdown without doing the work, and fair enough, but what are you going to do? Isolate for nearly an entire year because a game show host is a worse world leader than experienced statesmen? Mental health is a thing, too.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

lol yes

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

You can say the US policy was to want the benefits of an extended lockdown without doing the work, and fair enough, but what are you going to do? Isolate for nearly an entire year because a game show host is a worse world leader than experienced statesmen? Mental health is a thing, too.

There's a huge gap between "I go to water parks like everything is fine" and "100% in-your-house-only isolation", too. You can go get take-out and watch a drive-in movie and absolutely least-risk it. I haven't seen my husband in almost a year and it will likely be over a year. It isn't safe for him to fly because if I get this, I am very likely to die. If I can wait to see the spouse I've been married to almost 15 years, the vast majority of folks can cool their heels, too, for the safety of others and themselves. And acting like asking people to not do high-risk things like suck on a starbucks drink with no mask while they chill out at Disney Springs looking for a new Stitch toy to protect others is a lot, it just isn't. You're just asking people to be calm.

Honestly, that whole line of thought is why our quarantine was a joke and why it didn't work and why we can't have nice things :smith:

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 21, 2020

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I'm sure Disney is packed with lower class people who just can't get by without their theme park visits right now instead of entitled middle/upper class people who just don't give a gently caress

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

alg posted:

No it's not. Disney has been much stricter than the local grocery stores with enforcing social distancing and nobody even makes it past the parking lot if they show up refuse to wear a mask or wearing an improper one. Publix (and most other businesses) give no fucks if your mask is just a bandanna around your mouth. I saw a guy at Wawa with a loving towel crudely wrapped around his head and nobody said a word.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

There's a huge gap between "I go to water parks like everything is fine" and "100% in-your-house-only isolation", too. You can go get take-out and watch a drive-in movie and absolutely least-risk it.

This is absolutely right. Nobody's expecting you to live cooped up at home denying yourself all pleasure but, I'm sorry, a Disney vacation is something that can be delayed until the global pandemic is over.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

chitoryu12 posted:

No it's not. Disney has been much stricter than the local grocery stores with enforcing social distancing and nobody even makes it past the parking lot if they show up refuse to wear a mask or wearing an improper one. Publix (and most other businesses) give no fucks if your mask is just a bandanna around your mouth. I saw a guy at Wawa with a loving towel crudely wrapped around his head and nobody said a word.

Do you sleep overnight at your grocery store? Do you shop there for 12-14 hrs in a row with 20,000 people from all over the world? Do thousands of people work at your grocery store? Do you have to cram into a bus with 100 other people to get to your grocery store?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Disney area grocery stores are a shitshow, I can confirm that. From footage and pictures I've seen of the parks I can see why Chitoryu said that he felt safer there than a typical grocery store run. Disney is being pretty hardcore about this and deserves credit, especially compared to the other Orlando parks.

There's still the argument about necessary/unnecessary risk but I do want to give credit where its due to the cast members working hard and keeping people as safe as possible.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's no known cases of COvid linked to Disney since reopening right

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That level of contact tracing is basically impossible.

Anecdotally: a cast member went to a birthday party for a family member. 80% of the attendees ended up testing positive and there was 1 death. No way to know the origin.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Ah, but masks don't matter that much when you grab a drink or a bite of food and use it as an excuse to keep your mask off while you wander around.

As much as I love Food and Wine, having that kind of food fest going on seems incredibly counter-productive.

I live in a county with 24k people in it and we can't figure out the contact tracing. Disney sure as heck ain't doin it.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Don't they have designated areas for distancing and eating? Genuinely curious because that is what I had heard. No walking and eating/drinking, have to do it there

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

That is correct.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

couldcareless posted:

Don't they have designated areas for distancing and eating? Genuinely curious because that is what I had heard. No walking and eating/drinking, have to do it there

Look at literally any video and people are getting sips and snacks everywhere. Or they're doing social distancing eating in covered, air conditioned areas which have been noted to easily spread coronavirus.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Look at literally any video and people are getting sips and snacks everywhere. Or they're doing social distancing eating in covered, air conditioned areas which have been noted to easily spread coronavirus.

You seem to have a lot of knowledge despite not going, yet people who have been have only said opposite.
Just want to point that out.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0gKx9qlf0A
have fun I guess lookin at todays vid then

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

couldcareless posted:

Not "designated areas", but they are strict that you have to be stationary and off the path so nobody can just wander past you and inhale your spit. All of the areas where you could be comfortably stationary (as opposed to just standing in the middle of the sidewalk in front of everyone) are off to the side and have tables and benches physically separated (or blocked off if they can't be removed). Disney Springs tried opening initially without this rule, but when the parks opened they made it property-wide.

Cast members have full power to enforce within the limits of normal cast member permissions with misbehaving guests (no cashiers chasing down people or trying to restrain them) and I see them do it very often. They also discontinued trams and have checkpoints as early as the front of the parking lot with cast members, security, and mask vending machines where people without proper masks can be physically stopped and directed to get a mask or leave, plus the temperature check and standard security checkpoint before you even hit the turnstiles. The only people who actually become a problem are people like Pastor Hopper who are specifically sneaking into the park to make a stand, which are both extremely rare and dealt with swiftly (notice how in the video, the crowd of security also was keeping him more than 6 feet from guests passing by).

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Ah, but masks don't matter that much when you grab a drink or a bite of food and use it as an excuse to keep your mask off while you wander around.

As much as I love Food and Wine, having that kind of food fest going on seems incredibly counter-productive.

This is part of the reason why people are reacting the way they are to you: you clearly aren't actually looking at what the situation is like on the ground and assuming that it's just chaos with people whipping their masks off at the slightest loophole and coughing death all over the place.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

No, poor ventilation causes the spread. If you actually read the study of the Chinese restaurant that included the diagram that everyone brings up from months ago, the reason it was spread so easily was because the only ventilation in the entire dining room was a single air conditioning vent and a single exhaust fan. All of the infected tables were along the straight line between these two points because it was the only source of airflow in the room. The study even concluded that this wouldn't occur if proper ventilation existed.

The contact tracing is impossible to do, but what analysts have been finding is that there's no outbreaks traced to Florida theme park reopenings yet. Whether in Florida or elsewhere, there haven't been any statistically significant increases in COVID cases since. There likewise haven't been any outbreaks traced to airlines that have been enforcing the mask and distancing rules. This suggests that strictly enforcing mask and distancing rules is a viable method to let businesses stay open in the capitalist hellhole that is America with minimal risk, as long as those businesses are strict. While I go to restaurants, bars, and theme parks, I also check every place I'm going before I ever set foot there to make sure they're safe. I only attend restaurants and bars that have had no cases linked to them or among the staff and I report any place that is violating any of the restrictions.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

The CDC recently admitted over 11k people have been exposed to covid on planes already, some got sick, but they also admitted they haven't done any contact tracing to find out where it was linked. Without contact tracing it's not really possible to say nobody has gotten sick from going to Disney or flying on a plane.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I absolutely refuse to do indoor dining because people eat with their masks off, the virus is airborne and 6 feet is not enough space (therefore following CDC guidelines is insufficient), and I have no way of knowing if the ventilation inside the restaurant is sufficient.

I don’t think people properly assess risk. If you get this you can die or get permanent damage. Even if you’re just exposed you should quarantine for 14 days which can be very problematic for people who need to work. I’ve now had two friends who sent their kids to daycare/school have to bring them home because of exposure and then figure out how to reshuffle work to care for them.

As Bottom Liner points out, tracing an exposure back to WDW would be next to impossible. There is simply too much covid out there. Too many places where someone could have gotten it. I saw the article about 11K exposure on airlines too. It comes down to the data about flight exposure often isn’t even being tracked and is hardly ever being followed up on with contact tracing to be able to assess the risk. So airlines can say their ventilation is great and that’s really the only news on that topic.

I also want to remind everyone that a negative test after an exposure does not mean you don’t have coronavirus until you are 15 days out. Incubation can take up to 15 days and until the virus has incubated you can have it but test negative. There’s also the low chance of false negatives from the test.

edit: If you need something to do for mental health I strongly recommend biking. You can even bike with friends if you wear masks (outdoors, socially distanced). As we move into the winter months I'm not sure what activities to recommend.

Dren fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 22, 2020

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

This is part of the reason why people are reacting the way they are to you: you clearly aren't actually looking at what the situation is like on the ground and assuming that it's just chaos with people whipping their masks off at the slightest loophole and coughing death all over the place.

Point out where I said this was happening at Disney, thanks. Because what I said was people are using food and drink to get around it for as long as they can; and there are instances all throughout vlogger vids where you can see it.

Great winter activities depend on where you are, but bluntly, skillshare and duolingo and all those improvement websites exist and they're either cheap or have free trials that you can just mill as much as you need to. They also all have active, online communities where you can make digital pals that won't possibly infect you because they went to the steakhouse last night and caught covid off the cook who doesn't yet know he's dying from murdervirus. Positives all around!

Which isn't saying don't socialize but if you are, definitely be really careful who you do it with and have close friends and family keep a journal of where they've been so you can do your own contact tracing. E: because at least in my area, there is no contact tracing. And that's why this worthless state has almost a thousand cases in a county of 24k; and those are just the ones that were tested for.

stabbity
Sep 28, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Because what I said was people are using food and drink to get around it for as long as they can; and there are instances all throughout vlogger vids where you can see it.

I don't think it's happening nearly as much as you think it is from viewing videos on youtube. From the times I've been to Disney since reopening, I've seen very few instances of this. People are getting their food and then finding a place to sit and eat it, then putting their masks back on before leaving. Disney has been really good about actually stopping people from mask abuse. Last time I was there I saw multiple people stopped for trying to walk while drinking.

I think it's different for locals who have APs and can do quick trips to Disney. When I went to Epcot, it was just to get food, and it was honestly no different than getting a to go order from a local restaurant and eating it in a park somewhere outside. There was plenty of space to be well over 6' from people and tons of places outside to eat/drink. To be totally honest, I felt safer there than I did the few times I've been to one of my favorite restaurants to pick up a to go order, since I had to wait inside for it. If I weren't so close, then no way in hell I'd plan a multiple day vacation to Disney anytime soon. I don't even want to travel anywhere by air. But since our government is a joke and I don't want my local economy to collapse any further, I'm going to do what I can to safely support these places.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
https://twitter.com/reutersbiz/status/1308498284755988482

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

No

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Point out where I said this was happening at Disney, thanks. Because what I said was people are using food and drink to get around it for as long as they can; and there are instances all throughout vlogger vids where you can see it.

You just said the same thing again.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

alg posted:

At the grocery store IN FLORIDA, which is not a standard anyone should be proud of themselves for beating. That's like getting a D on a test and being excited that you did better than the kid who just spent an hour ripping the paper up into little balls.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
https://twitter.com/UniStudios/status/1309169066897219596

alg
Mar 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1309537472007811073

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
He’s a loving monstrous piece of poo poo.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

If you are curious of the reasoning (Whether you agree with it or not), It was moved to phase 3 going by the 2 week running average by for positivity (Which is <5%) and the death date vs reported deaths. (Going by that the last two weeks are lower than even March/April, deaths reported daily number lags by up to two months). Covid Hospitalizations are really really low and ICU use is even lower.

Atricks fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 25, 2020

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Pretty cool how at no point in the article does he make any attempt whatsoever to explain or justify the decision.

quote:

“We opened at the height of the infection when everybody was saying shut down the state,” the governor said Thursday. “Well, we didn’t do that.”

Yeah and you have the highest death rate per day and the 5th highest total deaths in the nation you pathetic trumpsucking nitwit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Florida has a lot of cases and a lot of deaths if you just look at raw numbers, but in terms of death rates, as in how many cases had fatal outcomes, the number is not as bad as the initial outbreak in the northeast early in the spring. DeSantis is a moron and obviously focused only on unemployment but he is riding on good management from hospitals with the ill.

It's possible that Florida benefits from increased knowledge and familiarity with prevention measures (e.g people got the messsage to wash their hands more by June). In any event, New York is not the example to follow either. Especially since their data shows a huge racial bias in outcomes.