Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Black August posted:

yeah I have no illusions of making writing money unless it's writing the slush trash and smut for a little extra spending. reading more is what I'm trying to work on now, last thing I got through was the excellent Southern Reach trilogy, and that's RIGHT up the alley of stuff I've always enjoyed writing myself. that, and the Three Body Problem books.

I enjoyed the Three Body books but there's some stuff in there that would seem downright sad puppy-ish if it came from the western sf scene. For example (major spoilers)Earth is targeted for invasion by an advanced alien species, but devises a mutually assured destruction scheme to keep them from attacking. In response the aliens, under the guise of cultural/scientific exchange, set to work feminizing all of humanity. It gets to the point where someone from our time wouldn't even be able to distinguish men from women, and the only "real men" left were ones who are/had been in cryo-sleep. Eventually it's time to elect a new MAD button presser to take over for the guy who came up with the system and is getting very old. The now-feminized humans elect the hapless female POV character rather than one of a posse of unfrozen Men Who Get Things Done. She fucks up within seconds of assuming the job and the invasion is back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Considering how dire most women are treated in those genres, TBP was pretty bearable to get through despite those weird issues. Southern Reach really did it for me though, the majority of characters expressing different colors of 'exhausted, angry, traumatized, lost' is a perfect mood to capture right now and for the future.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Barudak posted:

Each subsequent Hyperion is less good and by the end it feels like your reading a racist uncles screed.

Agreed. Read the first two and call it a day.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

MNIMWA posted:

I just finished the first Hyperion (sorry if this was discussed already) and really liked it. Are the rest of them also worth reading?

First duology is good. Third book is a neat idea, but the ending is real weak. Forth book is enraging with how bad it is It's the final show down between the physical embodiment of human ingenuity and the AI gods al told through the perspective of a jealous boyfriend

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I just learned that drow is pronounced drow and not drow.

I thought it rhymed with row, but it rhymes with row

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Its "drew", named after one of Gary's players who would never chip in for the snacks and was a general rear end in a top hat.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I'm okay with longer books (weirdly more so if they're like teen-marketed bc then the font tends to be bigger so the wordcount usually isn't as bloated), it just has to be doing something with the length. Just seems like the trend now is 'this is deep and complex because it's long'.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Barudak posted:

Each subsequent Hyperion is less good and by the end it feels like your reading a racist uncles screed.

That isn't quite true. Hyperion 1-4 were written before he went batshit. That said, the first is great. The second is a letdown. The third is a huge disappointment. The fourth redeems 2 and 3 but I don't think anyone needs to get that far in unless they're blown away by his writing.

Do not read anything else he wrote after 9/11. Really he's one of those authors where it's best to pretend he wrote a single book before getting hit by a meteor.

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 21, 2020

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

That isn't quite true. Hyperion 1-4 were written before he went batshit. That said, the first is great. The second is a letdown. The third is a huge disappointment. The fourth redeems 2 and 3 but I don't think anyone needs to get that far in unless they're blown away by his writing.

Do not read anything else he wrote after 9/11. Really he's one of those authors where it's best to pretend he wrote a single book before getting hit by a meteor.

Song of Kali is supposed to be really good too, and he wrote that before he wrote any of the Hyperion stuff. I dunno anything about Ilium or Olympos though.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Ilium was just okay. The writing was competent, but it felt bloated and the plot was pretty dumb.

I finished it only because of the Shakespeare robots storyline, which I found charming. Never read the second one but I hear it's worse.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Its "drew", named after one of Gary's players who would never chip in for the snacks and was a general rear end in a top hat.

I once bought a used D&D book with an “official” pronunciation guide off of eBay to win a bet about how duergar was pronounced (we were both wrong).

It was a 3rd ed. book though, so FREE FOR ALL!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

I once bought a used D&D book with an “official” pronunciation guide off of eBay to win a bet about how duergar was pronounced (we were both wrong).

Is it pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove?"

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
One of the Hyperion sequels (don't recall which) has a very bad case of "underage girl and adult male protagonist who raised her have relationship but it's ok for a variety of bullshit reasons".

I will also wholeheartedly throw in my support for The Library at Mount Char. That book blew me away.

edit: I went and looked to see if Scott Hawkins has written anything other than The Library at Mount Char, and it's a bunch of coding books.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Doyeee-Argh-Arr

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Is it pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove?"

Hilariously, I can only remember our two incorrect versions (DWER-ger and DWARE-gar). I’ll look for the book later.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Hilariously, I can only remember our two incorrect versions (DWER-ger and DWARE-gar). I’ll look for the book later.

I always assumed dwer-ger.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I always read it how it appears to be intended from a quick search - DEW-er-gahr.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Do 'er Garf

F is silent

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PetraCore posted:

I'm okay with longer books (weirdly more so if they're like teen-marketed bc then the font tends to be bigger so the wordcount usually isn't as bloated), it just has to be doing something with the length. Just seems like the trend now is 'this is deep and complex because it's long'.

I feel like I've read more good chunky books now than in previous decades. Like I just knew a 800 page fantasy opus form 1997 was going to be a slog, but now it might be decent. This does no extend to scifi which seems to be deep into a longer=shitter dive these days.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

One of the Hyperion sequels (don't recall which) has a very bad case of "underage girl and adult male protagonist who raised her have relationship but it's ok for a variety of bullshit reasons".

I will also wholeheartedly throw in my support for The Library at Mount Char. That book blew me away.

edit: I went and looked to see if Scott Hawkins has written anything other than The Library at Mount Char, and it's a bunch of coding books.

She's not underaged when they start the sexual/romantic relationship, but she did use relativity to jump forward to her early 20's before seducing him and it's all very "its cool because she's legally an adult and she started it, right?"

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

I've been saying doo' er gar, but I'm clearly not to be trusted

I remember back in the Usenet days seeing multiple people arguing over how to pronounce Drizzt. periodically someone would chime in that they'd asked Salvatore and they'd speak what he said, but that would only cause more arguments

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The problem with the longer books is there is almost always tons of filler. If you got a 350 page book and an 800 page book but the 800 page book maybe has 400 pages worth of actual stuff going on you're better off going with the 350 page book.

I've never read A Song of Ice and Fire though I started the first book and GRRM's style came off as generic fantasy to me when I'd been sold on it being "gritty" (I ended up getting what I was looking for in Abercrombie) but I've heard the last book or so is mostly wheel spinning.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Been going thru a Discworld marathon since earlier this year, about 15 books in, can only recommend.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Colonel Cancer posted:

Been going thru a Discworld marathon since earlier this year, about 15 books in, can only recommend.

I've been meaning to check those out for most of my life. gotta get to 'em.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Empty Sandwich posted:

I've been meaning to check those out for most of my life. gotta get to 'em.

They're great, but I probably wouldn't start with the very first book. Not going to pretend that they are some sort of high literature but I can definitely say that these novels got me through some dark times in my youth lol

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Where is the best place to start? I've wanted to get in to them too and have heard "Guards, Guards" is a good first read?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I personally love all the Death centric novels (Mort and Reaper Man) and all the witch ones too, but Guards Guards is absolutely a good place to start.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

MNIMWA posted:

Where is the best place to start? I've wanted to get in to them too and have heard "Guards, Guards" is a good first read?

mort

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MNIMWA posted:

Small Gods is probably the best since it was written later but is completely disconnected from any of the running storylines. The only thing you need to know is that there's a magical librarian who was turned into an orangutan (he shows up for one scene that is kind of confusing if are unaware of this.)

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Yeah small gods are solid.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

As long as you don't start with Colour of Magic you'll be fine.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

SirSamVimes posted:

As long as you don't start with Colour of Magic you'll be fine.

the second one is a sequel to it

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
I started with colour of magic and I turned out okay. But with hindsight I agree that it’s not the best one to read first.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I enjoyed both Colour and Light Fantastic but he hadn't gotten really comfortable in his shoes yet. Everything between Mort and Thud! is gold including the YA stuff. Carpet People is fun and I've re-read Strata as often as any of the main Disc stuff.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic aren't bad, they're just a more standard fantasy parody and very different to most Discworld.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
The bones are already there. He even gets most of the characterisation straight out of the gate with the few that do reappear in the later books. I think the only bits he had to retcon were Fat Vetinari and Vengeful Death.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

SirSamVimes posted:

Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic aren't bad, they're just a more standard fantasy parody and very different to most Discworld.

yeah

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Uncle Lloyd posted:

Have I got a loving book for you, it’s called “The Library at Mount Char” by Scott Hawkins and it is a really really good standalone novel. Hard to describe, vaguely similar setting as American Gods (centered around deities of a sort in contemporary America), but way more off the wall and way better.

Just read this and enjoyed it thoroughly thanks

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

Small Gods and Guards! Guards! are two of my favorites, so I always recommend those. Personally, I read (and am still reading) the books all out of "order," so go wild.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Rags to Liches posted:

Song of Kali is supposed to be really good too, and he wrote that before he wrote any of the Hyperion stuff. I dunno anything about Ilium or Olympos though.

Song of Kali is great and creepy but it is quite racist, but I guess that it mostly just the point of view of the racist protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Thanks to this thread I found out Kender exist and me and my wife had a pretty intense discussion on how to make them workable. Long story short, make them a society of quasi-monastic hobbits who give out and accept things freely, since they have no concept of ownership but realize that other people do. Everyone else likes them not because they're cute or whatever but because they're genuinely nice and good people. You can still have the thieving griefer Kender but make it so that they got kicked out by the other Kender and are widely disliked by everyone.