Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Vargatron posted:

Also, ask me about wearing way too many hats as a SysAdmin with no formal training!!

Sounds perfectly normal to me.

I cut my teeth as the only IT person on my org. Printers, NetWare, user management and organization, routing [tcp/ip and ipx/spx], dhcp, dns, backups, WinFrame and Metaframe? These are all the things I taught myself how to do without the benefit of google.

I’m not sure how IT or CS degrees work these days but I don’t think much has changed for the “gently caress if I know but give me a bit to figure it out and I’ll get back to you” IT veteran.

You get up and you learn it or you quickly go the way of the dodo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

there was a big list of questions to ask at an interview floating around, anyone have it handy?

I have my own list but want to check it for things that I've missed

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
whats training

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

The Fool posted:

there was a big list of questions to ask at an interview floating around, anyone have it handy?

As a candidate asking the interviewer or a bank of interview questions to ask the candidate?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

The Fool posted:

Ask how often there are on-call pages. And what the causes are. What percentage are directly actionable. Those which are not, why are non-actionable items being paged.
Ask for an example of a recent prod fire and what the dynamic is for responding to those. What was your team's responsibility in addressing the fire.

Ask the interviewer if they got a bonus last year. What was the criteria for that.

What's the dynamic like between your team and the other teams that you will support. Is it collegial? What sort of requests do they make of your team.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 21, 2020

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Agrikk posted:

As a candidate asking the interviewer or a bank of interview questions to ask the candidate?

As a candidate

Interviewing for a azure/terraform/ansible/blah/blah position tomorrow

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The Fool posted:

This is what I got and I think its the list you're talking about.

quote:

How do compensate for incidents outside of normal working hours?
Do you have an on-call rotation?
Do you have a WFH policy?
"What's the company's biggest threat to success this year, and how will I be able to help overcome it in this role?"
What is your vacation policy?
If I had to handle a ticket while on PTO, what is your policy to compensate for that?
When was your last tech refresh?
What is the oldest server in production, and what is its role?
How is the infrastructure now? Datacenter? Cloud? Backups? Security?
Are there any projects that are in the pipeline that I would be working on right away?
Would I be working as part of a team, and what does the team currently look like?
Who do you work with on a daily basis / describe the day to day role?
How are decisions made / how will [team] be asked to accomplish things / who makes those decisions?
What are the company's primary values? what characteristics are you looking for in a candidate in relation to those primary values?
What would be expected of me for the first / three / six months? What will success look like in this position, how will it be measured?
What sort of training/mentoring/career dev things are here?
What's the most impressive thing you've seen out of someone else you've interviewed recently?
What do you see as the most challenging aspect of this job?
How do you set milestones/deliverables for projects and how does your team react when it's clear they won't be met?
When was the last time you took pto / how much did you take / what did you do?
Is there travel to other sites or is that based on the help desk? How often generally?
Why did last guy leave?
Based on what we've talked about now is there anything you feel I could address in regards to the position?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Methanar posted:

Ask how often there are on-call pages. And what the causes are. What percentage are directly actionable. Those which are not, why are non-actionable items being paged.
Ask for an example of a recent prod fire and what the dynamic is for responding to those. What was your team's responsibility in addressing the fire.

Ask the interviewer if they got a bonus last year. What was the criteria for that.

What's the dynamic like between your team and the other teams that you will support. Is it collegial? What sort of requests do they make of your team.

I was planning on asking about on-call already, but those are good followup questions I hadn't thought of.

Haven't had to be on-call in 5-ish years and don't know that I'd be ready to go back to that if it's more than once-in-a-blue-moon

other questions are good, thank you

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm the dude that brings a leather bound notepad to an interview and takes notes. Also with extra copies of my resume.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

George H.W. oval office posted:

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Fool posted:

"Can I see your server room?"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

It's a 100% remote cloud/automation engineer role. I should never have to think about on-prem servers again if I take this job.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
My dream server room is nothing more than a battery backup meant to last long enough for a generator to spin up, networking equipment, and maaaaybe a single on-prem file server as a software repository.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

klosterdev posted:

My dream server room is nothing more than a battery backup meant to last long enough for a generator to spin up, networking equipment, and maaaaybe a single on-prem file server as a software repository.

I would probably put a domain controller in there still. Not everyone can do 100% AzureAD yet.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

The Fool posted:

It's a 100% remote cloud/automation engineer role. I should never have to think about on-prem servers again if I take this job.

I love being in this position. I just manage the AWS fleet that runs the app. IT has a couple physical servers for god knows what reasons but that's their problem, not the SRE team's.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

George H.W. oval office posted:

"How often do you take a full week of vacation ? Ever get to take two ?"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

mllaneza posted:

"How often do you take a full week of vacation ? Ever get to take two ?"

Oh yeah, this is on my list already, specifically because they list unlimited vacation in the job description

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Customer: why are my securities updating slowly?
Me (to the support rep): that's what happens when you ask for 100+ symbols on a 40kbps connection.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Just enabled auto scaling down in production.

About 10 months later than I initially thought I would.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
So far taken down 17 m5.8xl with around 75~ more to go as I continue to roll this out and consolidate workloads.

feels good man

hell yeah checkout this increase in hardware utilization.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 22, 2020

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Vargatron posted:

I'm the dude that brings a leather bound notepad to an interview and takes notes. Also with extra copies of my resume.

Is this not SOP? Always do this, and have pre-written questions / company research notes

Bob Morales posted:

I uh, forgot to ask this interviewing for my current role. Got on the job and found a 100% physical environment featuring dell blades and a few 2950's for good measure. It is great having a clear path forward!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

12 rats tied together posted:

There's an "in theory" and an "in practice" answer to this question, but the term is so diluted in 2020 as to be almost meaningless. In theory, it is a set of principles based around removing organizational boundaries between software development groups and infrastructure operations groups. If you do this well you can eliminate the incredible amount of manual toil involved with writing software, which will reduce the time it takes for a product feature to go from conception to market, which is a competitive advantage and is one that investors really like to hear about.

In practice, DevOps tend to either be a software developer specialization where you know how DNS works, or it is a sysadmin position where you know what a message queue is for. In either case, there's a lot of manual toil involved with putting programs on computers, and your job is usually to be the steward for that toil and reduce it where you can.

Blinkz0rz posted:

DevOps is a cultural shift characterized by increased investment in a shared responsibility model between development and operations where the process is no longer "dev throws it over the wall to ops" but instead is a collaborative effort where ops provides the tools and expertise to allow dev to deploy, run, manage, and monitor their code in production. As far as technical pieces, it emphasizes CI/CD, operational tooling (such as immutable builds, infrastructure as code, infra automation, etc.), and monitoring and alerting among others.

So...

All of this makes sense to me and sounds great however if DevOps is just a "process or system" then how come it didn't become a thing until the late 2000s? Why was "Waterfall" the only model for Software Development in the 1990s?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Gabriel S. posted:

So...

All of this makes sense to me and sounds great however if DevOps is just a "process or system" then how come it didn't become a thing until the late 2000s? Why was "Waterfall" the only model for Software Development in the 1990s?

Because for a long time IT was a function of the business and development was a function of a product org. Having the teams that provisioned infra and deployed to it in a completely separate org from the teams that wrote the code leads to the "not my problem" attitude that DevOps as a culture change is nominally trying to solve.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Also the underlying tech got abstracted enough away so that devs could in theory run their own infrastructure. I'm not saying it's all rainbows and sunshine now, but back in 2000 you were asking for trouble if your devs had root in prod and did things like managed their own backups or redundancies.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

CloFan posted:

I uh, forgot to ask this interviewing for my current role. Got on the job and found a 100% physical environment featuring dell blades and a few 2950's for good measure. It is great having a clear path forward!

At my last outside interview before transferring to the lab team, I asked to see the server room. The place was run by one, self-taught person. They had a background as a sound engineer, the kind of person who can rewire a 64-channel mixing booth in their sleep. I have never seen a more immaculate patch panel in my life and I never will again. Zip tied of course.

I'm better off where I am now, but I would have very much enjoyed working with them.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I really wish Change Management was something enforced more in this industry. It seems like you either work for a team or company that does it well or does it horribly.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 22, 2020

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I just attended a meeting where a group of 20 or so employees wants to explose the entire main email tenant to salesforce in order to have some dumb salesforce integration. Salesforce basically wants global admin access to your email tenant and without any way to mitigate disaster. They basically just promise not to do anything bad. I wish I was kidding. That is exactly what their Product SME told us during the call.

I have told them its a hard no, but offered up that they can buy their own email tenant and deal with everything involved with that if they want to pursue.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Ohana!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

mllaneza posted:

At my last outside interview before transferring to the lab team, I asked to see the server room. The place was run by one, self-taught person. They had a background as a sound engineer, the kind of person who can rewire a 64-channel mixing booth in their sleep. I have never seen a more immaculate patch panel in my life and I never will again. Zip tied of course.

I'm better off where I am now, but I would have very much enjoyed working with them.

I normally hate seeing zip ties. But I will say there are some instances where they are warranted; usually where it's a "Don't ever gently caress with this" situation.
This guy sounds like my kinda of coworker though.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I normally hate seeing zip ties. But I will say there are some instances where they are warranted; usually where it's a "Don't ever gently caress with this" situation.
This guy sounds like my kinda of coworker though.

I actually misspoke somehow, velcro like god and all the saints intended.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

mllaneza posted:

I actually misspoke somehow, velcro like god and all the saints intended.

Oh thank gently caress.
Yeah I would very much enjoy working with this guy and bullshitting about sound engineering all day.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Fool posted:

Just finished the interview. It went well. Some light-weight technical questions, I told some stories about projects I've worked on, did a rundown of my take-home, and we're scheduling a second/final interview.

For what it's worth these questions got a "Wow, that's a good question" response from the interviewer:

quote:

What does onboarding look like? What does success in 1 month look like? What does success in 6 months look like?

quote:

Is there anything we've talked about that you want me to expand on? Is there anything I haven't asked that you think I should be asking?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Bonzo posted:

I really wish Change Management was something enforced more in this industry. It seems like you either work for a team or company that does it well or does it horribly.

Our bosses made a big deal about this recently and we started using a system for it, all changes had to be discussed by managers and the senior person for whatever team it was for. For everything, new policy on firewalls, whatever.

I saw some random, and extremely poorly built, firewall policy yesterday. It gives full internet access to a server - after them making a big deal about no servers having internet access. Look at config logs and found it was the boss, who doesn't really have any part of the day to day, and hasn't used these firewalls before, made a bunch of dumb configuration changes. No mention to anyone else, nothing on change management. Good poo poo, great management.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Our bosses made a big deal about this recently and we started using a system for it, all changes had to be discussed by managers and the senior person for whatever team it was for. For everything, new policy on firewalls, whatever.

I saw some random, and extremely poorly built, firewall policy yesterday. It gives full internet access to a server - after them making a big deal about no servers having internet access. Look at config logs and found it was the boss, who doesn't really have any part of the day to day, and hasn't used these firewalls before, made a bunch of dumb configuration changes. No mention to anyone else, nothing on change management. Good poo poo, great management.

allow ip any any has worked for us before and will continue to work in the future!

I've run across that poo poo shoved into places so many times before at so many jobs. It's the easiest way to shoehorn something into a working state and so many people will just leave it that way after because "well it works now"

Making it work properly is more complicated and well :effort:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

New things coming to Azure Windows Virtual Desktop. Honestly, I have been putting off doing much work on our environment because clearly lots of improvements are coming down the pipe. Not everything I wanted to see, but Intune coming "soon" for multi-session hosts is nice.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-virtual-desktop/announcing-new-management-security-and-monitoring-capabilities/m-p/1699543

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

New things coming to Azure Windows Virtual Desktop. Honestly, I have been putting off doing much work on our environment because clearly lots of improvements are coming down the pipe. Not everything I wanted to see, but Intune coming "soon" for multi-session hosts is nice.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-virtual-desktop/announcing-new-management-security-and-monitoring-capabilities/m-p/1699543

One of our divisions deployed WVD to handle the extra wfh load this year and it's worked well for them. But now they're freaking out because they're migrating to govcloud and WVD is still in preview there.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Hell ya it appears the interview gauntlet is over. Took months of searching but got a fancy “Sr.” In front of my title and a big pay bump from my last job.

Starting real soon and I have a good impression of this company. Let’s hope that holds up.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I'm also watching Ignite. It's cool but extremely marketing heavy.

Anyone have a too long, didn't watch?

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Bonzo posted:

You will never not convince me that change management is a tremendous waste of time and resources.

Same with CMDB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

freeasinbeer posted:

You will never not convince me that change management is a tremendous waste of time and resources.

Same with CMDB.

We’ve established in the past that you have bad IT opinions, so I’m not worried.