Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

also these videos are amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52ZaSh81eI8

'patriotic services'

Eagle Screech!

It's also hilariously ironic how Amazon bankrolled both The Expanse and this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I do love how the plane incident proves Homelander is definitely dumber than Superman, because Superman could've lasered the engines off and just *carried* the plane to safety. That does pose another question - how much can Homelander bench?

(and yes, I'm aware the primary reason he let everyone die was because they knew he hosed up)

Airplane wings are full of fuel, if a superhero tried to laser off the wings or the engines, the whole thing would explode.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The longerons are designed to take the entire force of the fully-fueled and loaded airplane in the event of a landing after rotation where they can't/couldn't budget time to dump fuel. This isn't a 'plane on a treadmill' problem. He could've guided the plane to safety. He just didn't want a plane load of people telling stories about how Homelander almost got them all killed (and *did* kill a little boy in the comic).

I will admit I am wrong about the plane integrity and defer to you. :tipshat:

seaborgium posted:

Comics spoilers, so handled way differently and in a different context HL does the same thing to the cockpit of the plane they're trying to save. HL tries to "push" the plane to be more level, and instead just cuts the back half of the plane off because he went in too fast and just tried to punch it straight. Also manages to kill another supe doing it, which is why A-Train is in the Seven.

Interesting. I really like the version the show because it perfectly exemplifies how little he cares, but it would have been neat to see that one too.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think it's fair to take what the show tells us on its face and also to assume that Homelander knows how his powers work. He lasers the controls by accident. He thinks about it for a moment and realises he can't save the plane. Okay, all the passengers are now collateral damage. He's fine with that.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Bioshuffle posted:

The scene with the crowd shows that he is drat well capable of controlling just how far out the laser shoots.

Yeah Homelander would never accidentally laser too far and hit something behind his intended target he didn't mean to. Like imagine if he lasered some supe terrorist or something and hit a civillian behind them by accident? Unimaginable.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

also these videos are amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52ZaSh81eI8

'patriotic services'

Black Noir killing it at the end.

Also fitting to have Stormfront of all supes rattle off all the Palatir type surveillance services offered by Vought.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm pretty sure Surgeons in real life occasionally drop their phone or knock over a cup of coffee

Sometimes people just do an oopsy

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
He seems the type used to everything coming easy and gives up playing hero the moment it gets hard.

Bioshuffle posted:

The scene with the crowd shows that he is drat well capable of controlling just how far out the laser shoots. I just rewatched the scene in the airplane, and it does look like he destroyed the controls on purpose. It doesn't make sense for a bullet proof demigod to react the way he did. He could have just as easily laughed off the attack and punched his head off.
The fake out one where he’s on the platform with the senator? That didn’t seem like him controlling the laser distance so much as it hitting the ground since he was standing on an elevated platform aiming down at a crowd below him.

Edit: the whole point of the scene is it’s the first time they try to do real hero stuff without it being scripted and they gently caress it up because they’re amateurs with super powers. Yeah he could have punched instead but he likes deleting people with his eye lasers and does it all the time.

yook fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 21, 2020

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Yeah Homelander would never accidentally laser too far and hit something behind his intended target he didn't mean to. Like imagine if he lasered some supe terrorist or something and hit a civillian behind them by accident? Unimaginable.

Technically he hit a civilian behind a stretched out animal skin behind a terrorist

HL just didn't x-ray to see if there was anyone behind the "wall" first

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

That overhead shot of HL lasering the protesters is loving horrifying, fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

My rough prediction is that A-Train is going to be pretty pivotal in taking down Stormfront somehow. He instantly knew she was a racist POS in their like, 30 second scene together? I have a feeling he's gonna team up with Starlight, and maybe Maeve? I dunno, I think Maeve's plan is gonna crash and burn to give Starlight/A-Train a mental image of the stakes that they're playing with trying to take down HL.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Azhais posted:

Technically he hit a civilian behind a stretched out animal skin behind a terrorist

HL just didn't x-ray to see if there was anyone behind the "wall" first

Sure but the point is we have literally two scenes now of Homelander lasering and hitting some poo poo he didn't really mean to, it's kind of ridiculous for someone to make the argument that he has Super Laser Distance Control or whatever.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Johnny Truant posted:

My rough prediction is that A-Train is going to be pretty pivotal in taking down Stormfront somehow. He instantly knew she was a racist POS in their like, 30 second scene together? I have a feeling he's gonna team up with Starlight, and maybe Maeve? I dunno, I think Maeve's plan is gonna crash and burn to give Starlight/A-Train a mental image of the stakes that they're playing with trying to take down HL.

Here's that scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4otaPjLXdfw

Do we know how many seasons this show is going to go on for? Are they just going to go as long as they can?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I haven't seen any word on their planned number of seasons. But I expect like most shows it'll be delayed by a year or more, so probably Season 3 in late 2022.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Homelander absolutely has control over his laser. Need proof? Here's the clip of him killing Stillwell. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxsb5PMQHiY

If you pay close attention, the laser doesn't shoot out from behind her head because he is able to control how far it shoots.

Also pay attention when he kills the terrorists in the airplane. He's able to precisely control how far the laser shoots out, to the point where it doesn't penetrate through the terrorist's body.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I'm just wondering how many seasons because that might allow us to speculate more on when a big confrontation might occur.

I mean, is there a show if they kill off HL and SF? Or if HL/SF go mask off and rip the arms/legs off everyone?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Stuff to look forward to next episode:

Possible leak of the airplane footage, which Maeve will weaponize against Homelander and /or Mr Edgar.

Mental hospital full of supe teens getting set loose.

Distraught Stormfront telling (I'm assuming) Homelander "no more lies"

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

spacetoaster posted:

I'm just wondering how many seasons because that might allow us to speculate more on when a big confrontation might occur.

I mean, is there a show if they kill off HL and SF? Or if HL/SF go mask off and rip the arms/legs off everyone?

I don't think you can do this show without Homelander. He's the show. I suspect 4 seasons* and he dies in the penultimate episode.

Stormfront feels like a perfect Seasonal Baddie so I absolutely expect her to eat it either this year or in Season 3*

*The standard disclaimer that the US is about to break into Civil War which may affect media

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I just considered something, comics/teaser spoiler in the conics the G-men (X-men) are a bunch of orphans who are all raised and molested by the professor x analog. Now I doubt the show is going with that for obvious reasons so I’m wondering if this supe teen mental institution mansion is leading to the shows version of the G men

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

Bioshuffle posted:

Homelander absolutely has control over his laser. Need proof? Here's the clip of him killing Stillwell. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxsb5PMQHiY

If you pay close attention, the laser doesn't shoot out from behind her head because he is able to control how far it shoots.

Also pay attention when he kills the terrorists in the airplane. He's able to precisely control how far the laser shoots out, to the point where it doesn't penetrate through the terrorist's body.

So yes, when he concentrates, aka "gives a poo poo", he can control it. When he's flying in being a grandiose prick - not so much.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

He can control the intensity of his laser eyes, not make the beams stop at some arbitrary point. If he's trying to be precise we've seen him warm milk, melt a gun, etc. The simple explanation for the cockpit is he reacted out of instinct when he saw the pilot get shot, and he's just sloppy at what he does because he's had no training.

The lifting the plane thing, he implies he can't actually push against anything when he's flying because there's nothing to push off against, which does kinda make sense. It's not like he can lift the plane with his super-strength, he'd be relying on whatever mysterious force he uses to fly which might only generate enough power to lift his own body.

I don't think he intentionally let anybody die. He definitely didn't in the comic, the scene is meant to show that superpowers are impractical for most things and without training the supes just blunder into situations and make them worse.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Guys Superman did it!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tU0vG9UJ2I

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

So did Supergirl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh8MYFadTmQ&t=45s

We're talking about comic book magic so it's just fun.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
wasn't one of supermans powers back in the day being able to generate a psychic field around whatever he's holding so it doesn't' crumble around where he's holding it.

So he could like pick up a building and it wouldn't just start falling apart around his hands.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Romes128 posted:

wasn't one of supermans powers back in the day being able to generate a psychic field around whatever he's holding so it doesn't' crumble around where he's holding it.

So he could like pick up a building and it wouldn't just start falling apart around his hands.

Hell, superman could literally reverse time by flying around the planet.

If you guys were Vought. And you knew you had a psychotic ticking time bomb like Homelander. How would you mitigate his threat? Right now it looks like the corporation is just trying to control him using psychological methods, but I wonder what else they might have?

Personally I'd have a special forces team of B level supes on standby, and if HL ever went off the deep end, each of those supes gets a shot of compound V right into their veins and they try to stop him.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 22, 2020

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Romes128 posted:

That was someone's attempt to justify why he can do things like that, yeah.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

spacetoaster posted:

Hell, superman could literally reverse time by flying around the planet.

If you guys were Vought. And you knew you had a psychotic ticking time bomb like Homelander. How would you mitigate his threat? Right now it looks like the corporation is just trying to control him using psychological methods, but I wonder what else they might have?

Personally I'd have a special forces team of B level supes on standby, and if HL ever went off the deep end, each of those supes gets a shot of compound V right into their veins and they try to stop him.

I kinda want to see him shoot up and get high on V himself.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

pages of arguing about the potential structural integrity of an airliner and not one question about how butcher and the baby weren't turned into paste when homelander grabbed them and instantly accelerated them to hypersonic speeds

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
There's a comic called "Irredeemable" where that world's Superman analog just decides one day to stop helping humanity and start doing whatever the gently caress he wants...which means killing a lot of people.

Eventually a world-ending threat comes along and the Lex Luthor of that world convinces the Superman analog that he's been woefully underutilizing his abilities before then, because his abilities were never rooted in the physical, but rather in the theoretical and psionic, it's just that he was never given a reason to hone them past the usual superhero poo poo of hitting things really hard.

Just to stop from sounding like I know this by heart, here's the snippet from Wikipedia: "Modeus hypothesizes that if the Plutonian is made aware of his true abilities he would be able to alter probability, see through time and reverse entropy, concluding "and that's just if he moves from Kindergarten to grade school." After meeting with his Eleos creators, Plutonian's powers are expanded. He gains a sixth digit on each hand like the Eleos, and learns how to alter his density to become intangible, remotely ignite explosions by manipulating quantum matter, negate inertia to the point he can stop Earth's moon rotating, view an individual's history by using their mind as a focal point to see through time, and to detect raw materials within a planet and draw them to the surface by will."

Superman Prime can do similar "OKAY, SURE, WHATEVER" poo poo.

Wheeee posted:

pages of arguing about the potential structural integrity of an airliner and not one question about how butcher and the baby weren't turned into paste when homelander grabbed them and instantly accelerated them to hypersonic speeds

He pulled a Quicksilver and just held them at the back of their necks! Duh.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Speaking of, Homelander saving Stillwell's kid was honestly a pulled punch I wasn't expecting.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Wheeee posted:

Yeah. The acceleration to the speed necessary to escape an already exploding bomb would probably do more damage to your body than the bomb.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Owlbear Camus posted:

Speaking of, Homelander saving Stillwell's kid was honestly a pulled punch I wasn't expecting.

Given how much he hated/resented that kid, forcing her/him to grow up without their mother (like he did) seems like revenge to me.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

I had assumed Stillwells kid was a supe and Homelander didn't save them, they were just launched somewhere by the blast and survived by having super durability or whatever. She has the connections to get a premium dose of V and it doesn't seem in character for Homelander to give a gently caress about them. But theres also no real evidence for that to be the case, I guess, but it seems weird they'd mention their survival at all if it didn't come up again.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

I had assumed Stillwells kid was a supe and Homelander didn't save them, they were just launched somewhere by the blast and survived by having super durability or whatever. She has the connections to get a premium dose of V and it doesn't seem in character for Homelander to give a gently caress about them. But theres also no real evidence for that to be the case, I guess, but it seems weird they'd mention their survival at all if it didn't come up again.

Having one of your main characters murder a baby isn’t a good look.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Romes128 posted:

Having one of your main characters murder a baby isn’t a good look.

Butcher literally tried to by detonating the bomb.

And he's the protagonist.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Yeah Butcher hitting the detonator to mildly inconvenience Homelander at the cost of that baby's life is fukkin' diabolical.

Also the America's Most Wanted reenactment was just chef's kiss.

OI SHUT UP YA STUPID BIRD, OR I'LL BOLLACKS YA!

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

jabby posted:

Butcher literally tried to by detonating the bomb.

And he's the protagonist.

Yea but he expected to die.

If he survived and the baby died everyone would be like wtf butcher

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
I feel like it's pretty well established that he couldn't lift the plane. He says there's nothing to push off, and it seems internally consistent with his powers because when Kimiko's brother hits him with the train he gets dropped/swatted out of the air loving *instantly*. He still could have saved a few people, but didn't for the other reasons already noted.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Shame that we've seen him fly. It would be hilarious if his super power was just ludicrously accurate long range jumping.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

MarcusSA posted:

I'm triggered if that actually happens.

THATS NOT HOW ELECTRONICS WORK.

Video it, plastic bag it, stuff it in the (inflatable) seat cushion.

If someone had the foresight to really want to gently caress Homelander over in revenge for their impending death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

Owlbear Camus posted:

I think this is the show trying to show us that it's "smarter" than normal superhero comics by dealing in "real physics": even if he can exert an arbitrary amount of force while flying, where indeed can he apply it on what's ultimately a giant, flimsy, bolted together aluminum tube safely?

You push it, it generates lift. Thank you, I'm a genius.