Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Is there a known bug with betrothals not firing when they're supposed to? I started playing as an heir and he still had a betrothal when both of them were in their 20's. When I clicked the "Betrothed Can Marry" alert it said she would accept, but I couldn't push the button to make it happen. The tool tip only said something like "You *cannot* send this request" with no indication as to why. All my googling just brings up CK2 and not CK3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Chomp8645 posted:

Unless I'm missing something, you're also supposed to get a large relations boost with your ally. But getting it is contingent on actually contributing to the war, not just answering the call. And they think you haven't contributed.

I do like that now it's kinda possible to make alliances without marriage, but I wish they'd expand on it more than just pure marriage. Like a big reason I'd help an ally in like EU4 is I want them to like me long term, but allies in this game are super temporary so I will gladly leave them out to dry, when I can easily sway back the lost opinion for when I really need them.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

PittTheElder posted:

The weird thing is that once you get big enough and your vassals have any money at all, they will invite you to so many feasts that (assuming you're not shy) you are functionally immune to stress.

Obesity though

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Grey Fox posted:

Is there a known bug with betrothals not firing when they're supposed to? I started playing as an heir and he still had a betrothal when both of them were in their 20's. When I clicked the "Betrothed Can Marry" alert it said she would accept, but I couldn't push the button to make it happen. The tool tip only said something like "You *cannot* send this request" with no indication as to why. All my googling just brings up CK2 and not CK3.

Double check the spouse to be. I have had this happen if they have something happen that would disinherit them, like being turned into a eunuch, taking the vows, or becoming part of a holy order. It doesn't break the betrothal automatically, but it doesn't let you hit the button.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I can choose a dynasty legacy and I don't know which one to choose, help!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Grey Fox posted:

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Double check the spouse to be. I have had this happen if they have something happen that would disinherit them, like being turned into a eunuch, taking the vows, or becoming part of a holy order. It doesn't break the betrothal automatically, but it doesn't let you hit the button.

There are a few other things that might prevent a betrothal from being fulfilled - if one of the partners is in prison, or if you are currently at war with the person who needs to approve the marriage.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

There are a few other things that might prevent a betrothal from being fulfilled - if one of the partners is in prison, or if you are currently at war with the person who needs to approve the marriage.
thanks for these! I thought the war thing might have been it, but it still wouldn't work after the war was over. I don't think I looked closely enough to check the holy order thing though, and that's a likely culprit because the bride's home country was stirring up a lot of holy wars

I wound up breaking off the betrothal and marrying a woman that took nearly a decade to fire out an heir because she was secretly a lesbian

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Chomp8645 posted:

Unless I'm missing something, you're also supposed to get a large relations boost with your ally. But getting it is contingent on actually contributing to the war, not just answering the call. And they think you haven't contributed.

Even if you contribute majorly, it's kind of a kick in the pants to spent hundreds of gold shipping off your levies + MAA to destroy an enemy, only for your ally to get all of the gold from enforcing their demands.

Also your ally will totally leave you hanging and refuse to send in their army to turn the tide in a close battle if you're not careful.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Obesity though

Ooooh, that's why my old rulers keep getting fat.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 21, 2020

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

shut up blegum posted:

Clearly medieval eugenics program. Other than that for relatively easily accessible ones, I love the better education outcomes.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

shut up blegum posted:

Blood or Kin is always good if you don't know what to go for. The only one I would recommend not going for is the intrigue one, since you don't necessarily want the rest of your dynasty to be better at plotting.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
decided to try a challenge game where I started as the count of Fife as part of Alba in 867. only lasted three years until one of the other vassals of the king of alba decided to gobble me up and he had 5 times the troops I did.

shortest game ever!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Thought I launched a kingdom invasion of Abbasid Egypt, occupied the place, but my war score sucked and it turns out I didn't notice the game had defaulted to a kingdom invasion of one province Abbasid Cyprus.

So loving salty atm

:negative:

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

All of my children are some variety of evil rear end in a top hat. I hate them but they are my only hope. The loins of crowns spawn naught but demons.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

shut up blegum posted:

Yeah the first Blood pick for better traits, and the first two Kin picks for fertility and better educations are really good.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone tried making a faith with the Religious Law tenet, then just educate their secondary heirs with sinful traits so you can revoke their stuff when they inherit?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
I spend half the game trying not to have children, fertility sucks.

I quite like the ones that give you monthly prestige and piety at stage 2, or is it 3.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Embrace Celibacy (and hope your spouse is faithful)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Grey Fox posted:

thanks for these! I thought the war thing might have been it, but it still wouldn't work after the war was over. I don't think I looked closely enough to check the holy order thing though, and that's a likely culprit because the bride's home country was stirring up a lot of holy wars

I wound up breaking off the betrothal and marrying a woman that took nearly a decade to fire out an heir because she was secretly a lesbian

Also check that it's still “your” person to decide over. I've previously had instances where I set up betrothals for people who then left my court (and thus my control) for various reasons, and whomever they ended up under either didn't allow for it to happen, or it just never triggered at all for them to make that decision.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 21, 2020

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
My wife was exposed to having an affair which produced a child (twins, actually). Since that was all exposed, shouldn't it have taken the kids out of my inheritance? I have to manually disinherit them as house head a few years later, since they were still considered my dynasty.

e: It's a nice touch in game. My character, his father, and all of his other children are these giant, brawny people with dark hair. The twins are small and blonde.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 21, 2020

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Really hope they have a look at the AI marry shenanigans soon.
Tried starting as a Taoist ruler again (equal inheritance), and set one of my daughters up in a matrineal marriage with a courtier with decent traits. After my first character bites it, I do some warring and her husband bites it. In the time it took me to notice and check on her, she had set up a normal marriage with a 62 year old dude with every negative trait under the sun, lovers pox, Incestous, Rakish, sadistic. All because he had one claim on a single county on the other side of the country I guess.

Edit: Is there a historic reason for why there are Nestorian tribals in the upper right of Tibet in the 867 start?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 21, 2020

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Fintilgin posted:

Thought I launched a kingdom invasion of Abbasid Egypt, occupied the place, but my war score sucked and it turns out I didn't notice the game had defaulted to a kingdom invasion of one province Abbasid Cyprus.

So loving salty atm

:negative:

I laughed, but felt bad for laughing.

Hey, when you declare wars, you can change objectives, and the map will very handily highlight which objectives you're fighting over.

Also, if you're warring for a claimant, it will handily show what that claimant already owns, if anything, but it's a very subtle color difference.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Edit: Is there a historic reason for why there are Nestorian tribals in the upper right of Tibet in the 867 start?

Yeah, Christianity got around.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

Hey, when you declare wars, you can change objectives, and the map will very handily highlight which objectives you're fighting over.

Paradox, please... allow for map-clicking to change war targets...

Broken Cog posted:

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, Christianity got around.

This has been my second Major CK3 Fun Fact after learning about the Adamites

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Hell Nestorianism was big in the steppes in Ghengis life.

It was big in China for most of the Tang Dynasty but fell off

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Oh wow, my heir was super bad and I was the target of 3 wars at once so I just killed myself lol. All casus belli became invalid and my new heir was better anyway.
Then I had a giant brainfart. My sister of whatever is the queen of Ireland and she has a claim on the kingdom of Scotland (=me). When she pressed her claim, I thought, hmmm, would be neat to play as her, she has 2 kingdoms. And I surrendered :negative:
For some reason I figured I'd get to play as her. Instead I became a count instead of a king lmao

EDIT: also join the crusades, you get tons of gold and piety, even if you don't contribute much

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

shut up blegum posted:

Oh wow, my heir was super bad and I was the target of 3 wars at once so I just killed myself lol. All casus belli became invalid and my new heir was better anyway.
Then I had a giant brainfart. My sister of whatever is the queen of Ireland and she has a claim on the kingdom of Scotland (=me). When she pressed her claim, I thought, hmmm, would be neat to play as her, she has 2 kingdoms. And I surrendered :negative:
For some reason I figured I'd get to play as her. Instead I became a count instead of a king lmao

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I really love the portraits in this game. I'm actually remembering people based on their faces, not just if they happen to have a fancy helmet or a funny name or whatever.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Paradox, please... allow for map-clicking to change war targets...

Yes, this would be much more intuitive. As it stands, the game does tell you, and it's easy once you know, but it could stand to be quite a bit clearer.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
How do I nominate a heir with absolute crown authority? Just went up to it in the hopes of gaming the seniority succession, but I'm not seeing an option to pick someone. Do I need to be running primogeniture?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Right click their portrait, and it'll be in the upper most division of the menu. You usually have to expand to see the extra options for it.

It doesn't require Primogeniture, you can use it with the Partition modes just fine. I could kinda see it not working with Seniority though.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Daktar posted:

How do I nominate a heir with absolute crown authority? Just went up to it in the hopes of gaming the seniority succession, but I'm not seeing an option to pick someone. Do I need to be running primogeniture?

I believe you can do it via a right-click character interaction on any of your children. No matter what I don't think you can designate anybody other than your children. I have no idea if it works with seniority succession, the only thing in the code I can find is that it only works with elective laws if a dynasty member is in the lead.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

Yes, this would be much more intuitive. As it stands, the game does tell you, and it's easy once you know, but it could stand to be quite a bit clearer.

You can do it with granting/revoking titles, it's basically the same interface already

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Oh dear me posted:

I spend half the game trying not to have children, fertility sucks.

My character had two sons and one daughter so when my wife got captured and locked up for half my life I didn’t care all that much and just kept refusing the 100 gold ransom to get her back. When she’s like 38 years old I ransom her back so I can get the spouse bonuses but over the rest of her life she somehow pops out twin boys and another daughter :cry:

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

I just had a really weird interaction with a crusade. I'm the king of Ireland, Alba, and Wales. A crusade is called against England so I figure this is prime time to get my sister on the throne. Right around the same time as the crusade is called, one of my vassals goes to war with the king of England to claim his title. The crusade starts and I dunk on England because I outnumber them 10 to 1. I don't even think another crusading army showed up before I have the warscore 97% in our favor. Then my vassal wins his war and becomes king of England. I siege the new capital, take my former vassal prisoner, and the crusade ends victorious. I'm easily #1...but for some reason the former king of England is given the title of king of Crusader England (which is just two counties). I get a nice chunk of gold/piety/prestige. My benefactor gets nothing. I guess it had to do with the way the game calculated the war between my vassal and England while the crusade was active.

It doesn't really matter in the end. I took most of the land back from my former vassal and I'm closing in on usurping the king title for myself. I do feel bad for my vassal who went from powerful vassal to king of England to dead within a year.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Doobie Keebler posted:

I just had a really weird interaction with a crusade. I'm the king of Ireland, Alba, and Wales. A crusade is called against England so I figure this is prime time to get my sister on the throne.

…and that right there is probably where things went awry. I've tried similar things and they at most got a duchy. I have literally nothing to back this up, only my own anecdotal evidence, but I suspect that since Catholicism takes such a dim view to women rulers that you can just use any old excuse to depose them, they also don't haphazardly give entire kingdoms away to them unless there are literally no other options.

I managed to test this out in a crusade for Jerusalem, and pretty much the exact same turn of events (75%+ of contribution both times, ended up occupying pretty much the exact same counties), and the time I picked a woman, she became a duchess; the time I picked a man, he got the grand prize.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Just got the game, feels like a very slimmed/stripped down of CK 2. I can understand why they made some choices so they can start with a clean slate, but others seem like a real regression. Like the UI, it is just mostly blank dark blue backgrounds. I miss the thematic artistic style that was for each menu.
Do vassals act like they used to in CK2, like constantly scheming to gently caress each other over and you as well?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Gaj posted:

Do vassals act like they used to in CK2, like constantly scheming to gently caress each other over and you as well?

The best thing about being an emperor is occasionally looking down to catch up on how your vassals have been aggressively re-distributing all those titles you handed out decades ago.

The worst thing about being an emperor is having 60 angry powerful vassals to deal with after succession. Especially that one fucker who somehow ate four other dukes while your dad wasn't looking.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Gaj posted:

Just got the game, feels like a very slimmed/stripped down of CK 2. I can understand why they made some choices so they can start with a clean slate, but others seem like a real regression. Like the UI, it is just mostly blank dark blue backgrounds. I miss the thematic artistic style that was for each menu.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Yessssssss. My favorite CK2 run was a shattered world start where I played the Jewish count of Jerusalem and expanded. When my grandson inherited everything, both of his younger brothers rebelled. I defeated them and put them in jail. My old and sickly grandmother beseeched me to release them both, upon which they became 100+ favorable to me and were loyal.

Can you still castrate your enemies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Gaj posted:

Can you still castrate your enemies?

If you're Greek, yes.