Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

there's a minor audio delay in 3D All-Stars that's extremely noticeable and distracting when collecting purple coins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The last couple pages are pretty wild. drat, you guys really want those Mario pins.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Yep that feeling was on the money, been playing Hades all day and have had to like tear myself away to get any necessary things done or just to avoid wrecking my hands. Still only got the first Fury down an hour ago cause I am Bad At Games. Anybody on the fence just fuckin' buy it ASAP.

Yeah, Hades is so absurdly, hilariously good I'm compelled to go out and find people to recommend it to. An action-rpg-roguelike with solid gameplay that also has great art and characters and dialogue and story and sound and humor, plus all dialogue voice-acted well just to flex. Absolutely leagues ahead of similar games and I can't bear the idea that something this lovingly crafted could slip under anyone's radar.

I'm not even worried about overhyping it, anyone who can enjoy this genre at all will like it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sunshine is really make me not care for the concept of lives and game overs.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

So I guess I am just asking about the advance games? Am I missing anything?
VS. Super Mario Bros. of which the Arcade Archives release on Switch sold really well since it came out before NSO and so was the "closest thing" to SMB1. I assume that everyone else assumed it actually was SMB1, but hard.

Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 is, for the most part, a straight port of the All-Stars version of SMB3. However, Nintendo made it compatible with the GBA E-Reader and released a pretty decent set of extra levels on e-Cards. The Wii U Virtual Console release of this game includes all the released e-Cards directly in the ROM.

I'd also probably count Yoshi's Island, which includes the "Super Mario World 2" prefix officially, and "Super Mario Bros. 5" prefix in prototypes.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

onefish posted:

Yeah, Hades is so absurdly, hilariously good I'm compelled to go out and find people to recommend it to.
I'd pick it up but I'm holding out on an announcement of a physical release. It's probably deserves one and, personally, I prefer to buy larger games that way if possible.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

can we please make that penguin killers gangtag a reality

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'd pick it up but I'm holding out on an announcement of a physical release. It's probably deserves one and, personally, I prefer to buy larger games that way if possible.
You're not gonna want to wait like six months for an LRG release of a cart you'll never want to take out of the switch, just buy buy buy (it's listed at like 5GB, not huge, took maybe 90 minutes on my pretty bad internet).

E: Just unlocked Flurry Shot for the bow and it feels like a game-changer, this rules

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 22, 2020

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

veni veni veni posted:

The last couple pages are pretty wild. drat, you guys really want those Mario pins.

I just spent 25 minutes jumping through all the hoops desperately trying to decipher the Mario Kart iOS interface because it's nothing but microtransactions jesus christ how could nintendy let this happen??

Aliexpress versions are cooler anyway.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

AlphaKeny1 posted:

can we please make that penguin killers gangtag a reality

Must include a Prinny.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Maybe I'm just searching for the wrong thing, but is there some kind of Mario Sunshine guide that tells you when blue coins are only accessible in a specific episode?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

veni veni veni posted:

I mean, yeah. I was looking forward to them, got caught up in a meeting at work, and they were just gone by the time I checked in. It really bums me out. I know they're just pins, but...well it hasn't been a great few weeks so, yeah. Was looking forward to getting nice little pins.

The Postman posted:

Maybe I'm just searching for the wrong thing, but is there some kind of Mario Sunshine guide that tells you when blue coins are only accessible in a specific episode?

Look up 'blue coins checklist' on Google and you'll find a few. Here's one I've been using: https://nkiller.webs.com/sunshine/checklist/

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Look up 'blue coins checklist' on Google and you'll find a few. Here's one I've been using: https://nkiller.webs.com/sunshine/checklist/

Thanks! This will probably work for my purposes. Looks like I can just ctrl+f "ep" and get a little nudge in the right direction. I don't want to outright go through a list just yet but I also don't want to spend hours in an episode looking for something I can only get in another episode.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

So does Bethesda being bought by Microsoft mean anything for the Switch port of Doom Eternal?

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Kart Barfunkel posted:

So does Bethesda being bought by Microsoft mean anything for the Switch port of Doom Eternal?

Probably not since MS still supports both Minecraft games on the Switch.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Larger? It's 5.5 gigs

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

American McGay posted:

The little planets are the best. I would spend hours trying to hit the exact long jump to set myself into perfect orbit.

The moment I realized I could put Mario into orbit around a planet was the moment I determined that Galaxy was the greatest game I'd ever played up to that point

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Pablo Nergigante posted:

There’s also a weird version of SMB1 for the Famicom Disk System called All Night Nippon Super Mario Bros. which was an officially licensed tie in for a Japanese radio show. It’s basically SMB1 but some of the sprites are replaced with caricatures of Japanese celebrities of the time

There's also Super Mario Bros. Special, but that's more of a different (and terrible) game than another version of SMB1.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I am going to go back in time and find the person who decided to put those wind gusts in super Mario sunshine and fart in their face

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Man, did Mario Galaxy age well. What a wonderful game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

antidote posted:

Man, did Mario Galaxy age well. What a wonderful game.

It plays so much better with a Pro controller or JoyCons with a button for the spinning stuff. Not that it was a bad game before, just that a lot of the parts hampered by Wii motion mechanics are either paved over or fixed just by being driven by a decent gyroscope. Stuff like ball-rolling and ray racing is much easier because you have actual control over the drat things and not just crappy directional-tilting going "FORWARD->STOP->BACK->STOP->LEFT->gently caress-gently caress-gently caress-NO-NO-NO->*FALL*".

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

slave to my cravings posted:

I am going to go back in time and find the person who decided to put those wind gusts in super Mario sunshine and fart in their face

They really are the loving worst

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Bloop posted:

That would be stupid, the pins didn't do anything wrong. Idiot.

Nintendo massively overpromised if they are actually out already considering the direct to every switch with internet access.

And yeah, my 6 year old nephew really wanted these and I said I would get them for him so it's pretty obnoxious you twit

:allears:

They didn't overpromise anything. They said straight up in the direct "while supplies last," it's limited edition for a reason.

Len posted:

I am not good at videogames

Is this your first time going through SM64? Because the clip of you sliding with the penguin Mario is so far on the edge of the screen if you didn't know the ledge was there I can see how you'd easily fall off not having the time to react. I played the game so much that it seems so easy but I'm curious as to how much of the game I'm giving a huge pass because I just played it so much.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

A lot of my Mario 64 muscle memory has come back just fine, but I've forgotten how high or low to aim when shooting Mario from the canon. Especially in that snow level, I think I died about three times because I either overshot or undershot from the canon.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Nintendo: me fail internet? That's unpossible!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hit credits in hades goty

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hit the credits at midnight and was still like.... drat gotta do one more run. good thing i died so i can go to bed

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Evil Badman posted:

And let Banjo and Kazooie in Smash. I think Microsoft's given up on the delusion that they're meaningfully competing with Nintendo.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Microsoft also has Cuphead and the Ori series on the Switch, and even before then they had Rare putting out games on the GBA and DS. Hell, even before then...

So there's a fairly long-lived relationship between Microsoft and Nintendo that's probably helped by them being based in the same city. I highly doubt that we've seen the last of the Zenimax-owned IPs (Doom, Elder Scrolls, Fallout etc.) on a Nintendo platform.

EDIT: On that note, the Oris will be getting a standard physical release outside of that crazy collectors boxset.
https://twitter.com/OriTheGame/status/1306617379133124608

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The Kins posted:

Microsoft also has Cuphead and the Ori series on the Switch, and even before then they had Rare putting out games on the GBA and DS. Hell, even before then...

So there's a fairly long-lived relationship between Microsoft and Nintendo that's probably helped by them being based in the same city. I highly doubt that we've seen the last of the Zenimax-owned IPs (Doom, Elder Scrolls, Fallout etc.) on a Nintendo platform.

EDIT: On that note, the Oris will be getting a standard physical release outside of that crazy collectors boxset.
https://twitter.com/OriTheGame/status/1306617379133124608

Oh that may be a good way of getting it since I don't see myself keeping the games unless I have to.

Does anyone know when the 2nd Pokémon DLC pack drops? I'll probably buy them at that point at my friend's behest.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

In Hades I stuck all five of my titan bloods in the sword is there some way to respec or get a lot more blood

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Wow, Hades is really good. I just started a few hours ago and beat the second boss. Got a god gauge attack from poseidon that trivialized the bosses.

Do power ups start snowballing the way they do in Isaac? I've been waiting to see if boons multiply each other into crazy combos that make you feel overpowered the way it sometimes does in BoI.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Wow, Hades is really good. I just started a few hours ago and beat the second boss. Got a god gauge attack from poseidon that trivialized the bosses.

Do power ups start snowballing the way they do in Isaac? I've been waiting to see if boons multiply each other into crazy combos that make you feel overpowered the way it sometimes does in BoI.

Not to the same extent as isaac but some runs do get very powerful

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Been going through the collection since it came out. 100% in the first two games and almost halfway through Galaxy now.

64 has aged very well in a surprising amount of ways, though Dire Dire Docks is uniquely boring and some of the 100 coin stars are pretty unpleasant. The camera doesn't always do what you want it to do but it's mostly manageable.

Sunshine has probably the best core foundation of any Mario game, maybe movement is slightly too twitchy but jumping around and platforming can be a blast, and the hover and water dive moves really help round out that toolkit nicely. It's a shame this foundation is holding up the worst levels in the series, and there is a ridiculous amount of padding and jank that make the game so rough and inconsistent that it's hard to even call it a good game. It is a good game, just a frustrating and tedious one.

Galaxy owns

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Evil Badman posted:

Microsoft's had it beaten into them the hard way for over a decade that trying to roll their own games storefront was a very bad idea. They now also push their PC games onto Steam rather than the Windows store, and they know the value of being a publisher vs trying to be an exclusive platform outside their own console. The only thing that might change is no more Playstation copies of Bethesda games.

It also might actually be good for Bethesda, as now they'll have someone who might actually smack them round the head for lovely gamebryo coding practices.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Same. It's so great.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I really like doing the 100 coin stars in 64 and Sunshine, in most levels it’s just a chill time exploring every nook and cranny of a level and spotting another little stash of 3 or 5 coins and slowly building to 100.

I just spent a cool 20 minutes tooling around Ricco Harbour sweeping up the money. If I fell from a girder, no biggie, I would soon find a new and quicker way to get back up to the same spot.

Perfect to do while you chill with tv or a podcast

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Microsoft's had it beaten into them the hard way for over a decade that trying to roll their own games storefront was a very bad idea. They now also push their PC games onto Steam rather than the Windows store

yeah well they had to learn that lesson again pretty recently

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Finally finished Trials and Tribulations, what a great way to end the trilogy. Can’t believe I waited almost 15 years to play the second and third games. A shame the others haven’t been ported to the Switch, are they worth playing on 3ds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
4 is Just Okay, 5 is the second best in the series (behind 3) imo and 6 is Good