Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

If you’re spending an inordinate amount of time trying to buy a card, you should consider pricing your time and seeing if buying a scalped card ends up being cheaper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

FakePoet posted:

My tracking wasn't updating, so I called FedEx. Customer Service told me the parcel was flagged as "fraudulent", and being returned to sender. Which I've never had happen with anything, so now I'm wondering if I'm being digitally cased; if I go missing, "Nicholas" from FedEx was involved.

Long story short, I went down to the distribution center, and they didn't know what the hell (whatever, Nick), but I was able to pick it up just the same. Tin foil hat in me wondered "what if nVidia informally 'recalled' orders to see who went to the trouble of following up on them", but that seems pretty ridiculous.

In any case, I'm another non-bot person who managed to get one from nVidia. I had devil on my shoulder in the form of a co-worker who suggested I should re-sell it, but I really can't be bothered; I never end up selling old parts strictly out of laziness.

Nick is getting that card, one way or another.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

shrike82 posted:

If you’re spending an inordinate amount of time trying to buy a card, you should consider pricing your time and seeing if buying a scalped card ends up being cheaper

yeah god instead of sitting at home hacking together a notification script for a couple hours you could be hustling on uber. why after only about 2 weeks of full time driving you'll have made enough to afford the current scalper markup. (on top of the price of the card, of course).

"consider what your time is worth" is such a dumb loving argument. you can't push a button and convert your free time into money on a whim. even for the finance bros who genuinely believe it, the idea that they could have made an extra $20,000 instead of watching a movie with their girlfriend or w/e is entirely in their head

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.
Glad I'm in Australia for once. The lack of pre-ordering/pre-sale queuing in the USA completely blows my mind.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'd laugh my rear end off if in a couple of months time when we all finally have our cards and are downloading cyberpunk there was another Carrington event and they all got fried.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

FakePoet posted:

My tracking wasn't updating, so I called FedEx. Customer Service told me the parcel was flagged as "fraudulent", and being returned to sender. Which I've never had happen with anything, so now I'm wondering if I'm being digitally cased; if I go missing, "Nicholas" from FedEx was involved.

Long story short, I went down to the distribution center, and they didn't know what the hell (whatever, Nick), but I was able to pick it up just the same. Tin foil hat in me wondered "what if nVidia informally 'recalled' orders to see who went to the trouble of following up on them", but that seems pretty ridiculous.

In any case, I'm another non-bot person who managed to get one from nVidia. I had devil on my shoulder in the form of a co-worker who suggested I should re-sell it, but I really can't be bothered; I never end up selling old parts strictly out of laziness.

What kind of box did it come in? Was it a generic brown box or it was it like >>>>NVIDIA RTX 3080 FOUNDER EDITION INSIDE<<<< with a mailing label on it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cactus posted:

I'd laugh my rear end off if in a couple of months time when we all finally have our cards and are downloading cyberpunk there was another Carrington event and they all got fried.

good luck. i'm posting from inside 7 faraday cages

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.
Cyberpunk will have a 3080 specific bug that causes the VRM to go into thermal runaway and thermite bomb your PC.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Sagebrush posted:

yeah god instead of sitting at home hacking together a notification script for a couple hours you could be hustling on uber. why after only about 2 weeks of full time driving you'll have made enough to afford the current scalper markup. (on top of the price of the card, of course).

"consider what your time is worth" is such a dumb loving argument. you can't push a button and convert your free time into money on a whim. even for the finance bros who genuinely believe it, the idea that they could have made an extra $20,000 instead of watching a movie with their girlfriend or w/e is entirely in their head

yeah this 100%. I just used Page Monitor https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/page-monitor/ogeebjpdeabhncjpfhgdibjajcajepgg plugin and have it set to a few sites like EVGA, NVidia, Best Buy, Newegg, Amazon order-link and I have a "Chime" notification enabled under advanced options so it beeps at me when there's a change. You'll get some false-positives because things like people adding it to wishlist or changing "suggested similar items" and such are page changes so you can configure it to use a certain CSS element to monitor (like OoS button, / Notify / etc). I have it on 5s interval and it took like 2 minutes to setup and tweak, and I don't have to sit there F5-ing all day. It's how I got my EVGA XC3 Gaming earlier because I heard the chime and rush-slammed open the page to start buying.

now you could go crazy with your own script with Twilio integration that sends you a SMS message to your cell like this onehttps://github.com/ianmarmour/nvidia-clerk that watches for the official FE shop, or making one that does discord beeps and other shops, and doing that yourself would prob take some time. I'm sure a lot of people have wasted more time manually F5-ing a dead Out of Stock page than it would take to setup something that pings them or plays a sound if there's a page change.

now doing one to automatically buy something would prob be hell of a lot of loving work unless you're like a sneakerhead making a bot to buy $5,000 bots but a simple "hey this page changed for some reason check it out!" chime is pretty much no time investment at all, and even if it was you at least wouldn't be splurging an extra +$500 buying a scalped card.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 22, 2020

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Sagebrush posted:

good luck. i'm posting from inside 7 faraday cages

"scalping for GPUs" is just going to get way more literal in your case, then

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

in 2024, the only way to purchase anything in any form is to first pay for increasingly faster bot software that runs on the CUDA cores of your Honda Civic sized RTX 7090

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cygni posted:

in 2024, the only way to purchase anything in any form is to first pay for increasingly faster bot software that runs on the CUDA cores of your Honda Civic sized RTX 7090

I remember there was talk of some stocks of the i9-9900KS being bought-up by people who did high-frequency trading. I wasn't sure if it was a joke then, but

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Sagebrush posted:

Not to dogpile on Shrike, but this is kinda a good point.

Are there even any GOOD ways for me to convert my free time to dollars on an ad-hoc basis? I have a feeling there really isn't - everything I can think of would require some sort of commitment that would pretty much need to be integrated into my lifestyle. Annnnnnnnd . . . I don't have a garage workshop where I can fix up broken poo poo and resell it for maybe-breakeven, maybe-beermoney. Not yet, anyway :(

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Zarin posted:

Are there even any GOOD ways for me to convert my free time to dollars on an ad-hoc basis? I have a feeling there really isn't - everything I can think of would require some sort of commitment that would pretty much need to be integrated into my lifestyle. Annnnnnnnd . . . I don't have a garage workshop where I can fix up broken poo poo and resell it for maybe-breakeven, maybe-beermoney. Not yet, anyway :(

Not without some kind of specialized skill, no.

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy

Xaris posted:

What kind of box did it come in? Was it a generic brown box or it was it like >>>>NVIDIA RTX 3080 FOUNDER EDITION INSIDE<<<< with a mailing label on it

Generic, though if you knew enough to know who "Digital River" was being the sender, you could probably put it together. But again, that's (probably) nonsense.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I've always believed that the point of work is so you can afford to watch a movie with your girlfriend or play video games on a 3080. Or just have the freedom to do whatever the gently caress you want in general. When did our society decide we should all just be working all the time constantly making money? It's like if you aren't doing some kind of #hustle you're just a shitbag failure nowadays. Meanwhile our ancestors took clubs to the face just for an 8 hour work week and a weekend. Now we got people like Jayz2cents bragging about how weekends don't mean poo poo anymore.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Some Goon posted:

Not without some kind of specialized skill, no.
this.

either being the lucky combination of sexy + charismatic + cool + good at games for twitch streaming, or nice tits and rear end for onlyfans, or somehow being a really talent musician and getting a little peanuts from spotify/bandcamp, or being a popular artist painting poo poo that you sell to the local cafe, or knowing how to do good carpentry and taking scrap wood and turning it into furniture, or being good at metalworking and sewing for etsy doodads, and things like that. for 99% of people they probably won't succeed outside of just a hobbyist level and maybe if they're lucky a "it pays for materials/bills"-level of free time->money machination; because if there was such a thing that you could do without a specialized skill and without much time-commitment, it'd already be oversaturated and done to death.

Kraftwerk posted:

I've always believed that the point of work is so you can afford to watch a movie with your girlfriend or play video games on a 3080. Or just have the freedom to do whatever the gently caress you want in general. When did our society decide we should all just be working all the time constantly making money?

:capitalism:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I am in the rare and improbable position of agreeing with Shrike.

Zarin posted:

Are there even any GOOD ways for me to convert my free time to dollars on an ad-hoc basis?

When you order a pizza for delivery, you're paying a large premium for having the pizza delivered. You're taking money out of your discretionary pile and converting it into an investment where the investment is a freeing of your time and energy.

It's not about converting time to money in some "driving for Uber" way. It's just the moving of discretionary income in a way that increases your free time / decreases frustration, and subsequently decreases your monetary position in exchange.

I don't really get the controversy, people do this all the time to varying degrees? Not trying to hot take here, I genuinely don't understand the response he's getting.

Unless people are getting upset because they don't have the discretionary income to make this trade, but I don't think that makes his point inherently wrong or anything even if some people can't utilize that kind of transaction.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I’d say it’s more late stage capitalist mindset to go to lengths such as writing your own code to increase your chance of getting a luxury good by X% but that’s just me

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

shrike82 posted:

I’d say it’s more late stage capitalist mindset to go to lengths such as writing your own code to increase your chance of getting a luxury good by X% but that’s just me

Yeah I want the card but not that badly. Maybe programming comes as second nature to some people that writing that code is about as easy as banging out an essay on capitalism on a dead forum.
I consider myself lucky I live in a country with a retailer where I can put money up front in person instead of over the internet which gives me a reasonable shot at getting one by the middle of next month with no extra effort.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

shrike82 posted:

time isn't 1:1 fungible with wages

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Also almost all of the time I spend f5ing for these cards would be spent on something almost equally dumb otherwise.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zarin posted:

My wife started making ear-savers during the pandemic - little straps of cloth with buttons sewn in them so that you can form a complete loop with your face-mask without having to hang them off your ears. She started selling them on an online platform, which took care of most of the logistical and administrative hassle of setting-up a storefront and shipping the products to buyers (and in a country without a real postal service, that still meant walking to a convenience store every other day to drop-off her packages to be shipped-out).

Over the course of about four months, she made about half as much money as she did from her regular salary as a computer-toucher.

It's nice "beer money", but the only way to convert your "free time" into enough money to give you a comfortable standard-of-living is if you scaled-up such an operation to the point that you'd need to own capital: a machine to make the ear-savers, employees to run the machines, and so on. That would make you a capitalist.

And it's a basic feature of capitalism that not everyone gets to own these means of production.

I wouldn't fret about spending your free time F5-ing a webpage to buy a card if you weren't going to be doing anything more "productive", especially since "productivity" is sort of a loaded concept under capitalism anyway. If you're already at the point where you actually want the card and can shell-out the money for it, go ahead. The critical point was deciding to buy the card in the first place.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

It's about the thrill of the hunt. Posting and commiserating in the GPU thread with your fellow goons.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

MaxxBot posted:

Also almost all of the time I spend f5ing for these cards would be spent on something almost equally dumb otherwise.

The hunt for cards lets us feel hope. Getting the card will result in playing videogames, which honestly is more effort than I feel like putting in most evenings.

Also, lest my mocking be undermined, I'm not hunting for a card, it's a figure of speech.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the most dangerous game.... the 3080

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008

Xaris posted:

yeah this 100%. I just used Page Monitor https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/page-monitor/ogeebjpdeabhncjpfhgdibjajcajepgg plugin and have it set to a few sites like EVGA, NVidia, Best Buy, Newegg, Amazon order-link and I have a "Chime" notification enabled under advanced options so it beeps at me when there's a change. You'll get some false-positives because things like people adding it to wishlist or changing "suggested similar items" and such are page changes so you can configure it to use a certain CSS element to monitor (like OoS button, / Notify / etc). I have it on 5s interval and it took like 2 minutes to setup and tweak, and I don't have to sit there F5-ing all day. It's how I got my EVGA XC3 Gaming earlier because I heard the chime and rush-slammed open the page to start buying.

now you could go crazy with your own script with Twilio integration that sends you a SMS message to your cell like this onehttps://github.com/ianmarmour/nvidia-clerk that watches for the official FE shop, or making one that does discord beeps and other shops, and doing that yourself would prob take some time. I'm sure a lot of people have wasted more time manually F5-ing a dead Out of Stock page than it would take to setup something that pings them or plays a sound if there's a page change.

now doing one to automatically buy something would prob be hell of a lot of loving work unless you're like a sneakerhead making a bot to buy $5,000 bots but a simple "hey this page changed for some reason check it out!" chime is pretty much no time investment at all, and even if it was you at least wouldn't be splurging an extra +$500 buying a scalped card.

I just wanna say thanks for this. I have been keeping like 7 tabs open and whenever I remember to go through and refresh all of them. This will let me relax a bit with the page refreshing.
Cheers man!

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

So another shipping update, apparently it will be here tomorrow now again? They keep switching back and forth. I hope everyone in this thread gets the 3080 they want.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I didn’t read that at all as “think of how much money you could make with that time”, but rather “is it worth spending $300 for you to save 15 hours of reloading and racing with bots?” Which it might well be, but I don’t actually see scalped cards that aren’t getting hosed by bots on eBay, and $22,000 is definitely more than I’m willing to pay.

Writing a bit of software isn’t a big deal if you’re used to it. Couple hours of a more interesting intellectual pursuit than reloading a half-dozen store pages, probably. And what if I get into the sneaker scene later?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

My wife started making ear-savers during the pandemic - little straps of cloth with buttons sewn in them so that you can form a complete loop with your face-mask without having to hang them off your ears. She started selling them on an online platform, which took care of most of the logistical and administrative hassle of setting-up a storefront and shipping the products to buyers (and in a country without a real postal service, that still meant walking to a convenience store every other day to drop-off her packages to be shipped-out).

Over the course of about four months, she made about half as much money as she did from her regular salary as a computer-toucher.

It's nice "beer money", but the only way to convert your "free time" into enough money to give you a comfortable standard-of-living is if you scaled-up such an operation to the point that you'd need to own capital: a machine to make the ear-savers, employees to run the machines, and so on. That would make you a capitalist.

And it's a basic feature of capitalism that not everyone gets to own these means of production.

I wouldn't fret about spending your free time F5-ing a webpage to buy a card if you weren't going to be doing anything more "productive", especially since "productivity" is sort of a loaded concept under capitalism anyway. If you're already at the point where you actually want the card and can shell-out the money for it, go ahead. The critical point was deciding to buy the card in the first place.

She could found a workers cooperative. It's still private ownership of capital if you're a devout communist, but every member would receive the full value of their work.

You'd still have to find people willing to start up a cooperative before the initial capital outlay, but the social and financial engineering are left as an exercise for the reader.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I didn’t read that at all as “think of how much money you could make with that time”, but rather “is it worth spending $300 for you to save 15 hours of reloading and racing with bots?” Which it might well be, but I don’t actually see scalped cards that aren’t getting hosed by bots on eBay, and $22,000 is definitely more than I’m willing to pay.

in my case i would not pay the scalped price, both out of financial sense and moral imperative, and i don't have the drive to sit around f5ing a page for more than like 15 minutes. so the calculus becomes "is it worth a couple hours of my time one night to set up a notification script that increases my chance of getting a card sometime before christmas?" and it comes out sure, why not. that's an acceptable time trade. as xaris notes, setting up some little macro to just ding when the page changes can be done with a chrome extension and a few minutes.

shrike82 posted:

the most dangerous game.... the 3080

the most dangerous game is that one on star trek with the cones and pizzas that makes you horny

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Cygni posted:

What ever the next stage of capitalism ends up being, Amazon and Walmart are going to open up a legit marketplace of bot sellers all of whom put together elaborate marketing campaigns claiming to give you 5% better chance of scoring that 7090. Love me some free market

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

You’ll mine PreorderCoins on your GPU for a chance to get a Hopper card

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

in my case i would not pay the scalped price, both out of financial sense and moral imperative, and i don't have the drive to sit around f5ing a page for more than like 15 minutes. so the calculus becomes "is it worth a couple hours of my time one night to set up a notification script that increases my chance of getting a card sometime before christmas?" and it comes out sure, why not. that's an acceptable time trade. as xaris notes, setting up some little macro to just ding when the page changes can be done with a chrome extension and a few minutes.

the most dangerous game is that one on star trek with the cones and pizzas that makes you horny

I know exactly which one you mean, with the google glass. Does that make me old?!?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

they call it Hopper cause it hops right out of your cart before you can hit purchase, cause a bot already snyped all the stock

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Zarin posted:

I don't think their point was that you should BOOTSTRAPS and take on some lovely, grubhub/postmates/exploitative gig job in your free time. Rather, when we examine the facts of the situation it's likely a waste of time to indefinitely play the F5 lottery, especially knowing that there's a huge supply issue which will probably drag out at least a few months. Maybe it's because I'm in my 30s, but their sentiment resonates a lot with me at this point in my life because you start to realize that time is the one thing you can't get back. That the time spent obsessing and F5ing indefinitely might be better well spent doing something that helps you grow as a person, improve yourself, something that makes you happy (maybe F5ing on Best Buy/Nvidia makes you happy?) or maybe even do something good in your community. (To clarify, I'm not saying games are a waste of time!)

mA fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 22, 2020

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

If you have more time than money you should learn programming & mathematics. It's not guaranteed turnkey ROI like delivering pizzas or sucking the occasional cock but you never know when the opportunity to use those skills will come up and reward you. Worst case you can automate tedious things at home & at work.

I wouldn't start with programs that spend money on your behalf though. There be dragons.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the whole "learn 2 code" thing is a cliche in terms of how trite it is and how much it is used by politicians as a stand-in for helping people who don't have enough money to make ends meet (which hopefully is not the case of anyone in this thread f5ing an 800 dollar extremely discretionary purchase that could easily be substituted by a 200 dollar card at least) BUT: learning to code changed my life, personally, and got me my first real job at the age of 30 after working temp gigs and bullshit jobs for literally a decade. if you have time to f5 you might find the process of building a little thing that dings when a page changes a more entertaining use of your time, and potentially a springboard into being able to help out your friends financially.

it's literally why i'm able to post here, now, instead of probably being dead somewhere due to covid.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I think Zarin's question was tangential, an earnest thought related to the discussion at hand, not a counterpoint to shrike, even if it serves as such given the answer to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Some Goon posted:

I think Zarin's question was tangential, an earnest thought related to the discussion at hand, not a counterpoint to shrike, even if it serves as such given the answer to it.

The discussion around this has been fantastic, so thanks everyone! But I believe Some Goon here has the right of it - I took Shrike's meaning, and he's not wrong, of course - maybe my free time IS worth more than the scalper delta. It got me starting to think about what kind of things I could even do to turn that "waiting time" into money, and I kinda came up blank - plenty of ideas, but a lot of 'em seemed pretty bad. So I threw the question out to the group, just to see what other answers might be out there that I hadn't considered.

For me specifically, though, I'm on more or less a fixed income (being salary, and with no opportunity for overtime, but lol I work way too much anyway) and I was idly wondering what I could do to un-fix that income in an ad-hoc way that wouldn't be a commitment in the same way a second job would. Pre-COVID, I was actually thinking about finding out if TaskRabbit was worth a drat, since I have a few tools, and it could be a good excuse to buy more and/or pay for them as I added them to my collection.

Amusingly, I didn't respond for so long because I decided to do some stuff for work that was overdue and that I'd also had an idea about how to do better earlier this evening. Granted, I'm not gonna get paid any more (or less) for doing it or not, but at least it's done now and I can work on something different tomorrow morning, I guess. All while I wait for EVGA to release more details on their AIO cards and/or my paycheck to hit the bank on Friday so I can actually afford the card (that doesn't exist yet) :P