Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Not an empty quote.

And my point isn't, "why aren't people talking about it", it's more the lol at people being on a soap box preaching against Facebook and then quietly stepping down when they see the price tag lol.

Though it's happened only a little bit in this thread it's happening a ton elsewhere. We're so hosed lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Skyarb posted:

Not an empty quote.

And my point isn't, "why aren't people talking about it", it's more the lol at people being on a soap box preaching against Facebook and then quietly stepping down when they see the price tag lol.

Though it's happened only a little bit in this thread it's happening a ton elsewhere. We're so hosed lol

Who? Who in this thread? Either call somebody out or you're just making noise.

We have been over this. Please move on.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Zaphod42 posted:

Who? Who in this thread? Either call somebody out or you're just making noise.

We have been over this. Please move on.

It is impossible to "move on" from discussing facebook as it's intrinsically linked to VR and the Quest. It will probably be one of the absolute major parts of the discussion from now on. People will ask about it and they won't know and some of them will be disgusted when they DO find out, others won't care.

Another thing you can blame on facebook, making this, the VR thread, constantly having 'facebook bad' hanging around its neck.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think he meant move on from scolding some hypothetical group of hypocrites for their purchasing decisions. Obviously oculus is connected to Facebook in a way that is bound to be discussed. But coming in on a high horse and telling people what they are allowed to buy is not productive or enlightening. It’s just trying to rile up drama that has already been discussed to death. There isn’t a single person currently in here that isn’t aware of the situation.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

veni veni veni posted:

I think he meant move on from scolding some hypothetical group of hypocrites for their purchasing decisions. Obviously oculus is connected to Facebook in a way that is bound to be discussed. But coming in on a high horse and telling people what they are allowed to buy is not productive or enlightening. It’s just trying to rile up drama that has already been discussed to death. There isn’t a single person currently in here that isn’t aware of the situation.

This still isn't my point. It's happening more on reddit than here, but it's like the L4D2 boycott. Lots of people who were previously like "gently caress Facebook, gently caress the quest!" Are now like "ohhh only $299?!". Hell its happening in my friend discords lol.

While I do think it's a bad thing I'm mostly just saying it's funny.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Skyarb posted:

This still isn't my point. It's happening more on reddit than here, but it's like the L4D2 boycott. Lots of people who were previously like "gently caress Facebook, gently caress the quest!" Are now like "ohhh only $299?!". Hell its happening in my friend discords lol.

I preordered 2 quests. I live in the imperial metropole of a dying racist warmongering petrostate and our democracy is a joke, I'm at least gonna get my bread and my circuses.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Gamers will never have any willpower to boycott anything if it’s something they want, and yes it is funny.

But I also don’t like blaming the end consumer for larger problems with companies that should be regulated better.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Holy crap beaten already? Lol

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

veni veni veni posted:

Gamers will never have any willpower to boycott anything if it’s something they want, and yes it is funny.

But I also don’t like blaming the end consumer for larger problems with companies that should be regulated better.

Oh I agree Facebook shouldn't be allowed to exist as it is, and yeah that image is loving hilarious.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

$299 is a good price. gently caress Facebook, but that's an amount I'd be willing to pay, and I'll certainly still recommend it as an entry point.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Skyarb posted:

Who? Who here? You keep saying "this still isn't my point" but you just keep complaining and ignoring the replies.

I understood your point the first time, but its just looking for people to feel self-righteous towards. Its not productive or healthy unless there is a particular goon you want to respond to, its just shaking your fist at an idea.

veni veni veni posted:

move on from scolding some hypothetical group of hypocrites for their purchasing decisions. Obviously oculus is connected to Facebook in a way that is bound to be discussed. But coming in on a high horse and telling people what they are allowed to buy is not productive or enlightening. It’s just trying to rile up drama that has already been discussed to death. There isn’t a single person currently in here that isn’t aware of the situation.

We all had a big argument about the ethics of buying from facebook several pages ago, I'm sorry you missed it. But its not like the thread isn't aware.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 22, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

We all had a big argument about the ethics of buying from facebook several pages ago, I'm sorry you missed it. But its not like the thread isn't aware.

What? :confused: No, I didn’t miss it. I was backing you up and agreeing with you so I’m really confused by this reaction lol.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

What? :confused: No, I didn’t miss it. I was backing you up and agreeing with you so I’m really confused by this reaction lol.

I was still talking to Skyarb there, just quoting your post because it made my point for me. Sorry if that was confusing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

veni veni veni posted:

How is the VR port of the Forest anyways? It's a really cheesy game but the only "survival" game that actually sort of hooked me when I played on a screen. Actually had a lot of fun with it.

The main thing that bugged me is that all the horror felt undermined by the extremely dumb enemy AI though.

It's really good. The fact that it's seemless with non vr people is really cool, and VR people have some advantage in combat and, hilariously, tree chopping. There are points where you can tell it's not native vr in some clunkiness, but the game is pretty clunky anyway so it fits. I have had 1 part (swimming) that was very problematic in VR and I got bugged into having to switch to screen, but otherwise it's been fun.

Honestly, it's one of the better VR experiences I've had if you can handle motion controls.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Speaking of native VR advantages I'm like the maximum amount stoked for Squadrons. Though I guess I should not trust EA not to lucy the football.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nice. Especially at only 20 bux I figured it might be a great VR buy (sadly I only own it on PlayStation with no VR support)

Zaphod42 posted:

I was still talking to Skyarb there, just quoting your post because it made my point for me. Sorry if that was confusing.

Ah ok, yeah I was confused there haha.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Skyarb posted:

The amount of people who are like "Facebook is a terrible organization that props up right wing terrorism and profits off invasions of privacy." And then they see a toy they like being priced low and are like "Oh well maybe they're not so bad" is pathetic and very telling on how this poo poo is only going to get worse and worse because people can't help themselves or stand for anything.

Not buying a product they lose money on isn't going to stop Facebook from doing that stuff. Only governmental regulation, or enforcement thereof, will do that, in America. Everything you buy or do helps someone even worse than Zuck and I hate it but I also can't do anything about it, all I can do is buy interesting things to try to distract myself and to inspire my work. If you are an American or a European please do something tangible.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
For anyone remotely interested in making avatars or worlds for VRChat, a pro-tip is to watch out on Humble Bundle for the occasional Unity asset bundle that likes to pop up like the one running right now. You can get some really great stuff like particle effects and sound banks, as well as general model and world-making assets for a drat good price.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

So I know Facebook bans empty accounts all the time, but do you think they'll keep doing that if the accounts are created while setting up a Quest 2? Like, are we going to see a wave of people 3 months in complaining about losing all their purchased content because they didn't post enough memes?

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
No, they wont.

Accounts get banned for posting violations or being determined to be bots, not for a lack of content.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ROFLBOT posted:

No, they wont.

Accounts get banned for posting violations or being determined to be bots, not for a lack of content.

We've been over this; They can and have been. Your old fake account can't be hit by their algorithm, but recent ones absolutely can be, and your "fake" accounts used by you and your friends are just constantly generating data points doing far more to ID all of you than your name alone would give.

Also Facebook's prototyping their Aria AR glasses

quote:

Another goal of Aria is to test the waters with public perception and uncover privacy and ethical obstacles.

Translation; 'How can we get around these obstacles without people finding out? :thunk:

But don't worry; only they get the data your glasses nebulously ingest! :pseudo:

quote:

• As with any mapping data, security of recorded data is paramount. Facebook will keep Project Aria data secure by using encryption and a secure ingestion system to upload the data from the device to Facebook back-end storage systems.

• Facebook will securely store data and the maps that are derived from that data in a separate, designated storage space, accessible only to researchers with approved access.

• Once uploaded, captured data is kept under quarantine for three days, meaning it is not made available to researchers. During the quarantine period, participants can again choose to delete segments of captured data from the system by looking at low-resolution thumbnails.

• Before any data gathered in a public place is made available to our researchers, it will be automatically scrubbed to blur faces and vehicle license plates.

• The research glasses do not use facial recognition identification technology, and we don’t use this data to inform the ads people see across Facebook products.

It's like a list of "we won't do these things to you, until we adjust the TOS later on the consumer model".

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

We've been over this; They can and have been. Your old fake account can't be hit by their algorithm, but recent ones absolutely can be, and your "fake" accounts used by you and your friends are just constantly generating data points doing far more to ID all of you than your name alone would give.

OP does not mention anything about a fake account (whatever you choose that to mean). The question is about whether a "low content" account would be banned.

If you think even FB would dumb enough to risk the PR disaster that would be thousands of Quest-buyers having their accounts wiped literally for not posting enough (especially given their "algorithms" cant even catch all of these anyway) we really have reached next-level FUD

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 22, 2020

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

considering according to the trailer it's just facebook employees on the facebook campus that's probably overkill tbh

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I would say it is increasingly likely you will have to send them a pic of your ID in order for your purchase to work if your account gets flagged in any way. But to be honest we all have already hashed through the FB argument, they suck, there's nothing wrong with people that still want to buy their product, so maybe we can drop it in favor of actually talking about VR unless they pull some even shittier 1984 type poo poo that warrants mentioning.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am still holding out for the HP Reverb G2 which while twice as expensive as the Quest 2, appears to be superior and makes no compromises. Plus Mark Zuccerberg does not have direct access to your eye balls everytime you put the device on on your head.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

I said come in! posted:

I am still holding out for the HP Reverb G2 which while twice as expensive as the Quest 2, appears to be superior and makes no compromises. Plus Mark Zuccerberg does not have direct access to your eye balls everytime you put the device on on your head.

timing the milliseconds you spend looking at anime titty avatars in VRchat to determine when to serve you the 20 pounds of pussy and rear end masturbator advertisement

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Big Bad Worf posted:

timing the milliseconds you spend looking at anime titty avatars in VRchat to determine when to serve you the 20 pounds of pussy and rear end masturbator advertisement

Speaking of, are there any full on MMORPGs in the works for VR? I know theres some stuff already but they are pretty barebones 1st gen early attempts. I would be all over something like Everquest having VR.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Big Bad Worf posted:

Timing who you look at in Facebook Horizon and for how long. What you talk about and who you talk with. Which ads you look at, what part of them you look at, timed down to the millisecond. How long you play. How quickly you tire. What your range of movement is and how healthy you are. Are you getting fitter? More tired over time indicating an underlying health condition? They'll sell that on to your health insurance.

I said come in! posted:

Hardware-wise I think the Quest 2's limited optic range is a really bad cost-cutting move. VR's still a niche hobby looking to break into mainstream, let's be honest, and I don't think the sample size on IPD range is gonna scale well in a mass market.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Speaking of, are there any full on MMORPGs in the works for VR? I know theres some stuff already but they are pretty barebones 1st gen early attempts. I would be all over something like Everquest having VR.

Where is my Sword Art Online god dammit

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm gonna go for the next best thing and get onto vr chat and stare at anime tits one last time before I gotta pack up the headset for moving houses.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Timing who you look at in Facebook Horizon and for how long. What you talk about and who you talk with. Which ads you look at, what part of them you look at, timed down to the millisecond. How long you play. How quickly you tire. What your range of movement is and how healthy you are. Are you getting fitter? More tired over time indicating an underlying health condition? They'll sell that on to your health insurance.

Yeah, preaching to the choir there. I've got my eyes on the G2 when it comes out, if it reviews reasonable well, I'm going to sell my rift S and get the G2 as a replacement. As for who will buy the Rift S when the quest 2 is $300 and stands alone, I'm not sure, but someone will. Probably.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Couple more TWD: S&S questions

1. If you get a mission where you have to go into an enemy area that is not hostile until you enter the area is there any solution generally via talking to them, or do you just have to sneak in/kill them all
2. Is there some rule of thumb to finding the channel 47 caches? The game doesn't even give you any hints where they are except the map they are on?
3. Is it intentional that medicine is so hard to come by or have I just had bad luck with RNG. Crafting medicine is ridiculously far down the upgrade tree and I am lucky to come across any bottles on a quest. It's just weird because every other consumable is easily craft-able.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Has anyone contacted fb about what happens to their headsets when they don't sign up for fb and the grandfathered period for oculus accounts run out? I would really like to know as I plan on riding out my CV1 for as long as I can.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Couple more TWD: S&S questions

3. Is it intentional that medicine is so hard to come by or have I just had bad luck with RNG. Crafting medicine is ridiculously far down the upgrade tree and I am lucky to come across any bottles on a quest. It's just weird because every other consumable is easily craft-able.

The game is hard and grindy. It's what it is.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Parallelwoody posted:

Has anyone contacted fb about what happens to their headsets when they don't sign up for fb and the grandfathered period for oculus accounts run out? I would really like to know as I plan on riding out my CV1 for as long as I can.

Don't worry, your irreplaceable cable will stop working by then.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Discussing FB effects on VR is ok... if... there is some kind of new insight into the issue. People get tired when the same posts get repeated 20 times without anything new, or when people do general FB rants without no point in them except saying how awful FB is.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Now, this could be relevant

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/889pk3/facebook-threatens-to-pull-out-of-europe-if-it-doesnt-get-its-way
European regulators are cracking down on Facebook's ability to transfer data across the Atlantic. Now the tech giant is threatening to pull its services from more than 400 million European users.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

Now, this could be relevant

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/889pk3/facebook-threatens-to-pull-out-of-europe-if-it-doesnt-get-its-way
European regulators are cracking down on Facebook's ability to transfer data across the Atlantic. Now the tech giant is threatening to pull its services from more than 400 million European users.

It's an empty threat, the article says as much, and trying to play the victim in an EU court probably isn't gonna go in their favour like it might in a US one.

Still though; :munch:.

edit: Ausgoons, Scorptec just added a preorder page for the Reverb G2 with a release date of the 3rd of November. (Get it on the HP website though, it's discounted to $900AUD with the code REVERB)

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Sep 22, 2020

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hardware-wise I think the Quest 2's limited optic range is a really bad cost-cutting move. VR's still a niche hobby looking to break into mainstream, let's be honest, and I don't think the sample size on IPD range is gonna scale well in a mass market.

Selling vrchat users yoga balls and trackers based on how often the user appears to stare at their own chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Best sellers in videogames in Amazon.com

#5 Switch
#7 Cyberpunk 2077 pc version
#9 Quest 2
#10 New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
#16 Quest 2 256gb
#38 Quest 2 elite strap with battery
#63 Quest 2 elite strap

Not bad, given the tv marketing campaign hasn't started. The fact the more expensive strap is selling more than the normal one says to me that right now, it's the hardcore audience the ones that are buying currently.