Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

People here will outright try to kill you if you're riding a bike on public roads, good luck. We don't ride anywhere but the trails and the downtown area where cops actually pay attention to traffic.

This is a downtown area. There is a protected bike lane from HCC all the way north. Where the dog leg is at HCC it becomes a "bikeway" where you're supposed to share the roads with cars, there are 4 way stops at each intersection and there are intesection barriers meant to slow down the speed of and increase visibility for turning traffic.

At the end of the line, in Hermann Park - is the Houston Zoo - it would be AWESOME to be able to just ride to the zoo, pop off the trailer and use it as a stroller. I live off of one of the green dedicated bike trails that are on that map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Development
Jun 2, 2016

mila kunis posted:

Heading to a local shop that my friend recommended to check out some options. Any opinions on any of these?

https://www.bikesonwheels.com/collections/bikes-hybrid

BOW rules. they’re great folk and will help you find a good fit! I think fuji hybrids will be fine - the key thing is finding something in stock in your size.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Development posted:

BOW rules. they’re great folk and will help you find a good fit! I think fuji hybrids will be fine - the key thing is finding something in stock in your size.

I like that Norco for the bigger tires and hydraulic brakes. But if that is sold out then Fuji will be good, I had one at one time.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
I DID THE THING! After the eight year layoff, I climbed my rear end back on the bike and rode a good 30 minutes. Nothing crazy, just some easy loops around the neighborhood. Things are slowly coming back. It's weird, almost as if I never forgot the how to part of cycling, I just lost the confidence in myself and the bike.

Like, I'll be going around a corner, knowing that I can lean the bike harder into the turn. Brain said "you got this", but my body noped out.

Just had to share, bike thread. It feels great to catch a breeze and riding around the neighborhood while the sun sets.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Dolemite posted:

I DID THE THING! After the eight year layoff, I climbed my rear end back on the bike and rode a good 30 minutes. Nothing crazy, just some easy loops around the neighborhood. Things are slowly coming back. It's weird, almost as if I never forgot the how to part of cycling, I just lost the confidence in myself and the bike.

Like, I'll be going around a corner, knowing that I can lean the bike harder into the turn. Brain said "you got this", but my body noped out.

Just had to share, bike thread. It feels great to catch a breeze and riding around the neighborhood while the sun sets.

Congratulations! When it comes down to it, it really is just like riding a bike.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Waiting for my Gravel King tires to come soon since my front tire is losing air pressure within two days after filling it

The Giant Gavia Fondo 3 tires that come with my bike are such poo poo they don't even sell them separate of OEM stuff

I got four so I can do both our bikes, wondering if I should get the LBS to do it or just buy the sealant and tape from them and do it myself.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Do you have a compressor or other high air flow just in case you need it?

Apr 7, 2003

Nah, just a big floor pump. The panaracer gravel king+ tires are like 60 PSI max though.

The tire on my front wheel is almost completely deflated when I pull it off the rack lately to ride anyway, I can handle filling a bike tire with a floor pump as much as I need to.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nah, just a big floor pump. The panaracer gravel king+ tires are like 60 PSI max though.

The tire on my front wheel is almost completely deflated when I pull it off the rack lately to ride anyway, I can handle filling a bike tire with a floor pump as much as I need to.

It’s not about inflating the tire, it’s about setting the bead. You may be able to do it with a floor pump but if you can’t get enough pressure fast enough you’ll need to use a compressor, an airshot, or a co2.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

My trick to seat the bead without a compressor or a airshot is to place the tire on the wheel with a fully inflated tube in it for a night, and then use your floor pump to seat it tubeless the next day.

Apr 7, 2003

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

It’s not about inflating the tire, it’s about setting the bead. You may be able to do it with a floor pump but if you can’t get enough pressure fast enough you’ll need to use a compressor, an airshot, or a co2.

That makes sense. Guess I'm getting a compressor tomorrow!

Apr 7, 2003

Ordered an air compressor, thanks for saving me the embarrassment of halfassing a new tire and getting confused thread

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
This was maybe the most flow-iest city ride I've ever done. All the greens, little cross traffic, no bad drivers. Just floating through the city.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Ordered an air compressor, thanks for saving me the embarrassment of halfassing a new tire and getting confused thread

Look up how to do a tubeless install before you get into it. It can be a nightmare depending on the rim/tire.

Shaping the tire by installing it with a tube, as mentioned, helps. I do that then remove one side of the bead, remove the tube while keeping the set bead in, and then get the other side worked back in. Spray some soapy water on and pump like hell and hopefully you'll get some bubbles and a satisfying pop. Then go for a short ride around your house to get the sealant working on any tiny gaps.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
getting the tire soft and compliant by soaking it in some hot water helps too

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Don't forget to spank your tire while dumping the entire air compressor resivoir into it.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
spray some starting fluid in and hit it with a lighter when you give it a compressor blast

Apr 7, 2003

This tire poo poo sounds really complex

I've been riding tubeless all year and haven't had to worry about replacing a tire yet, appreciate all the posts here pointing out that it's a bit more complicated than I thought. Got an air compressor + presta valve setup on order, I'll probably end up calling my LBS and asking for tape + sealant since they've got more work than they feel like doing right now.

I do keep a pair of tubes + tire levers for blowouts in my bag, is the bead seating annoyance specific to tubeless?

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
The soapy water trick is definitely a+ advice. It helps them hold just enough pressure to expand and start seating.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
Don’t forget to masturbate beforehand so that you’re relaxed for all the yelling at the tire/rim you’re destined for.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

The first time I setup tubeless it took over an hour. The second time took over an hour. The third and beyond took just a couple minutes because soapy water is the business.

I just use a floor pump fwiw. A compressor makes it much easier

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Killswitch posted:

Don’t forget to masturbate beforehand so that you’re relaxed for all the yelling at the tire/rim you’re destined for.

lmao

i managed to get my tubeless tires mounted by removing the presta valve core and adding sealant, shaking it around and then using my ryobi 18v air pump, which doesnt put out a ton of pressure but was enough to get the job done

Apr 7, 2003

y'all are terrifying me for a job that's going to probably go by like nothing

except for having to mount four of them, all of which I'll gently caress up in interesting ways

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Don't do it in your house

Apr 7, 2003

I have a basement

it's a filthy murder basement with a workbench and it reeks of machine grease.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
sounds like a good basement for doing bike stuff

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
gravelkings are trash go teravail rampart, they’re even easier to set up TL

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My basement is where I do all my bike maintenance stuff and where one time I blew up a tube on a buddy’s bike and it sounded like a bomb went off because of the all brick construction in a small space. Bikes are dangerous when you’re doing maintenance half in the bag.

With a compressor you probably don’t even need to do soapy water, put a tube in overnight or any of that. Just get the tire on the wheel, take out the valve core and dump air into the tire until you hear and see it snap fully seated into place. Then add your sealant through the already open valve, pop the core back in, inflate, then do the sealant rain dance for a couple minutes.

Oh, and use Orange Seal Endurance

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

This tire poo poo sounds really complex

I've been riding tubeless all year and haven't had to worry about replacing a tire yet, appreciate all the posts here pointing out that it's a bit more complicated than I thought. Got an air compressor + presta valve setup on order, I'll probably end up calling my LBS and asking for tape + sealant since they've got more work than they feel like doing right now.

I do keep a pair of tubes + tire levers for blowouts in my bag, is the bead seating annoyance specific to tubeless?

Please show which compressor you have ordered it needs to have a reasonably sized reservoir, having said that when I swapped out some Gavia tyres for Continentals they seated with just a track pump but was a very tight fit. There are lots of good videos on youtube on how to fit tubeless tyres. If you are planning to retape the wheels make sure the tape is the right width and you will need to clean off the old sealant.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I mount tubeless with a 1gal compressor, size doesn’t really matter it’s about getting that first big boop of air to pop the bead.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

e.pilot posted:

I mount tubeless with a 1gal compressor, size doesn’t really matter it’s about getting that first big boop of air to pop the bead.

Eh, this is true most of the time but if I have a slightly dented rim or a tire that is a little looser than usual I've used enough air to make my 6gal compressor start running again before the bead seated on both sides.

Apr 7, 2003

mikemelbrooks posted:

Please show which compressor you have ordered it needs to have a reasonably sized reservoir, having said that when I swapped out some Gavia tyres for Continentals they seated with just a track pump but was a very tight fit. There are lots of good videos on youtube on how to fit tubeless tyres. If you are planning to retape the wheels make sure the tape is the right width and you will need to clean off the old sealant.

I got a Ridgid 6 gallon plug-in compressor, that'll work, huh?

I'll make sure I get new sealant and tape from my LBS and look at some videos, I don't think tires are something I want to mess up.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!
Tubeless setup on modern tires and rims is much easier than y'all are making it sound. Just make sure you have the bead fully on and not on top of the valve, use some soapy water on the rim to help it snap into place, and hit it with a compressor, a tubeless reservoir pump, or a CO2. My last rim/tire combo mounted no issue with a floor pump. It's really not bad at all, especially compared to a few years ago.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

I got a Ridgid 6 gallon plug-in compressor, that'll work, huh?

I'll make sure I get new sealant and tape from my LBS and look at some videos, I don't think tires are something I want to mess up.

That compressor is fine, like I said make sure the tape width is right. You have a valve core tool or some means of taking it out?

Apr 7, 2003

I do, and new valve cores

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
You're now approaching "we should get to the airport at 4am for the 11am flight" dad levels of precaution, which means they're seat the bead with just a floor pump, no soap water.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Time to go angry ride. Someone dumped a load of nails on that stretch of highway I cleaned a few months ago. loving hell.

Apr 7, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

Time to go angry ride. Someone dumped a load of nails on that stretch of highway I cleaned a few months ago. loving hell.

My wife won't ride on public roads because we were taking a trail bypass once and someone in a jeep zoomed up behind us and started laying on the horn.

If she'd have been startled and fallen she'd have gotten run over.

People are pretty lovely about this bicycling thing!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

My wife won't ride on public roads because we were taking a trail bypass once and someone in a jeep zoomed up behind us and started laying on the horn.

People. What a bunch of bastards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

should be legal to "stand your ground" against these shitheads