Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Ashcans posted:

Willing to forgive that one, because gently caress if I know any decent way to organize an apartment that shape. Just do whatever.

If you've got a better way to divide a circular building into 16 equal spaces I'd like to hear it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

If the internet taught me anything there must be people out there who wish to live in an eternally revolving wheel house wedge where no guest knows who's apartment he'll step into.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
There's a dorm at my old college that has 3 round pillars attached to a central space/elevator shaft. The room layout is thus:

The beds double as couches. You can shove them underneath a platform with padded doors that's also designed for storage. It's actually fairly clever, but I can't imagine bunking with a roommate in one of those pizza wedges.

Here's an overhead view (and an accurate description of the lifestyle):
http://wikimapia.org/35276111/Roskie-Hall

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

By popular demand posted:

Is there also a cultural reason not to use the kitchen area as a corridor like so:

Apologies for bad image manipulation on tablet.

I'd just swap the toilet and the bathroom with what I assume is the entrance hallway (the grey room just south from both). I really wonder what was the thought process behind this though - there's gotta be some reason why this happened

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

There's a dorm at my old college that has 3 round pillars attached to a central space/elevator shaft. The room layout is thus:

The beds double as couches. You can shove them underneath a platform with padded doors that's also designed for storage. It's actually fairly clever, but I can't imagine bunking with a roommate in one of those pizza wedges.

Here's an overhead view (and an accurate description of the lifestyle):
http://wikimapia.org/35276111/Roskie-Hall

I knew what college in the first sentence! I lived in the dorm across from it and somehow only went into a Roskie room once. I thought it was cool.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

canyoneer posted:

If you've got a better way to divide a circular building into 16 equal spaces I'd like to hear it!

I can understand a centrally located wet wall for all rooms but then there's the sinks. Also, how do you get off the wheel?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

You have to wait for the contestant to answer correctly.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

canyoneer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DGXHMOhXAw

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

It must really suck to clean behind the vertex toilet in the isosceles apartment.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

nurmie posted:

I'd just swap the toilet and the bathroom with what I assume is the entrance hallway (the grey room just south from both). I really wonder what was the thought process behind this though - there's gotta be some reason why this happened

Chrohn’s disease or IBS IBD or ostomy bag

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

canyoneer posted:

here's a better way: don't

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

nurmie posted:

Weirdest thing is, it seems like there's plenty of space for the toilet in what I assume is the bathroom just to the right, just wtf

Same with in the doom bathroom

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

canyoneer posted:

You'd be able to hear every single one of your neighbors poo poo at the same time

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Arms_Akimbo posted:

You'd be able to hear every single one of your neighbors poo poo at the same time

Wheel Of Fartion!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Arms_Akimbo posted:

If you all poo poo hard enough, simultaneously, the building blasts off, and reveals the secret to Sim Earth.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I work for an organization that serves some lower income people. Today I witnessed a house, owned by an elder, where the toilet was broken so they were throwing poo poo out the window. The bathroom window was open and there were brown streaks leading to a pile on the ground. You could smell it from the road

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
^^^ Fuckin poo poo (no pun intended)
Is that a result of just plain old "nobody that can do anything about it gives a gently caress about the poor"? Or is it a combination of Dementia and not knowing/caring/being conherent enough to call maintenance?

Or is that oldie just smart as gently caress and figuring "If I throw poo poo out the window they'll come fix it faster"?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

If the internet taught me anything there must be people out there who wish to live in an eternally revolving wheel house wedge where no guest knows who's apartment he'll step into.

The inner wheel of toilets spins the other way so you never know which shitter you're going to get!

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Clearly the answer is to swap the toilets and the hall before making them rotate in opposite directions so you can go into the shitter from one apartment and then go back through the same door into another apartment.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

corgski posted:

Clearly the answer is to swap the toilets and the hall before making them rotate in opposite directions so you can go into the shitter from one apartment and then go back through the same door into another apartment.

Wheel!
Of!
EFFLUVIAAAAaaaa!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

https://twitter.com/bigshika/status/1306835178136899584

I don't speak Japanese, but you really don't need to to be able to appreciate this one.

The Japanese tweet points out that this unit is already leased to someone, so it must be popular. lol

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

And the answer is lovely old dorms (company -owned dormitories are common) that were remodeled to include a private bath. My city still has old dorms and apartment blocks that only have shared bathrooms or no baths/showers at all.

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

Garry of Garry's Mod fame had quite a bit of crappy construction in his home renovation

https://garry.tv/house-fuckups

For example:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Bigger image:

I have never considered the idea of making a toilet room the one corridor which connects the apartment, but then I'm not an architect.

That's probably because that is a squat toilet. Such a design wouldn't be possible with a Western toilet without having to climb over the back from one direction.

The Chairman posted:

or one where the toilet and the sink are three rooms apart

When the Japanese have a sit down toilet, it always has a built in bidet. If get #1 or #2 on your hands there, you're doing it wrong.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

kid sinister posted:

That's probably because that is a squat toilet. Such a design wouldn't be possible with a Western toilet without having to climb over the back from one direction.

When the Japanese have a sit down toilet, it always has a built in bidet. If get #1 or #2 on your hands there, you're doing it wrong.
Do you only wash your hands if you pee directly on to them?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Nova69 posted:

Garry of Garry's Mod fame had quite a bit of crappy construction in his home renovation

For example:

I can’t imagine having the money for this kind of stuff and also apparently having the worst luck with contractors.

This reminds me of that goon that bought a house that they just kept discovering issue after issue from the previous owner/flipper.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

All of that is garden variety punchlist issues in larger commercial/industrial/institutional buildings.

the prime got lovely subs, and didn't wrangle them correctly.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

MRC48B posted:

All of that is garden variety punchlist issues in larger commercial/industrial/institutional buildings.

the prime got lovely subs, and didn't wrangle them correctly.

I only looked at the pics quoted and was going to say absolutely not, but after clicking through yeah, you're correct. A good contractor can correct most of those before the client sees them.

Crappy tales of my own, the tiles in my entry room and half bath are all coming lose. I doubt they have the right backer board, and I'd bet they're just mortared to the subfloor. I really like them too, I doubt I'll be able to save them to fix them so.... It's a problem for another time.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I don't know, at a minimum it sounds like he had the shittiest plumbers I've ever seen. Like 80 percent of that page is "this drain was also never actually connected".

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Nova69 posted:

For example:

this makes me feel better about all the random poo poo I'm finding in my house.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I find tons of idiot poo poo in my house, but it's also 150 years old so really it's not a surprise that there are gremlins living in it.

What was a surprise is that no one had bothered to put in actual insulation in the walls until we bought it. 150 years of people just freezing their asses off and burning fuel like a bonfire. :psyduck:

It's because you can insulate properly with knob and tube wiring, which no one had bothered to take care of either :v:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ashcans posted:

I find tons of idiot poo poo in my house, but it's also 150 years old so really it's not a surprise that there are gremlins living in it.

What was a surprise is that no one had bothered to put in actual insulation in the walls until we bought it. 150 years of people just freezing their asses off and burning fuel like a bonfire. :psyduck:

It's because you can insulate properly with knob and tube wiring, which no one had bothered to take care of either :v:

I bought my house in 1992 and insulated it in 2008. When my house was built in 1930, it was heated with a coal oven in the dining room.

Coal remained cheap for a long time. Locally: a good percentage of homes in central and western PA are still heated with coal. I had a loss in one outside of Coraopolis, PA in 2011. Huge house with a large 2-story garage the size of, and equipped for, servicing trucks. No insulation. I show up, it's maybe 25-degrees out, and every window is open. Guy heats it all with coal, has 2-bins at the end of his driveway, each bin holds about 8-tons of coal. His son works for a mine in West Virginia, every couple-three years, he brings a truckload of coal to fill the bins, about $150.00/pop.

It's 80 in the house. He regulates the temp by opening windows and doors.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

That is horrifying.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

https://i.imgur.com/zgAz6d0.mp4

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Sorry, wrong thread, this is awesome. There is crappy construction and there is clever construction. This is the latter, clearly someone had a problem that needed to be solved as cheaply as possible with materials on-hand and did so in a way which is both user friendly and efficient.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

skybolt_1 posted:

Sorry, wrong thread, this is awesome. There is crappy construction and there is clever construction. This is the latter, clearly someone had a problem that needed to be solved as cheaply as possible with materials on-hand and did so in a way which is both user friendly and efficient.

Except that the mechanism is not built to withstand a wet outdoor environment and there seems to be no way to operate the latch from the other side.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

the position of the padlock hasp suggests it is not a gate intended to be operated from the other side.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Well goddamn, turns out I haven't ever lived in a truly lovely apartment.

Though that pizza slice shaped domicile might be attractive for some.
If I understand correctly the middle part of that pizza apartment is not part of the apartment, it's the hallway outside the apartment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Munin posted:

Except that the mechanism is not built to withstand a wet outdoor environment and there seems to be no way to operate the latch from the other side.

which makes it better than 99% of the pro lock installs in this thread