Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Strange Matter posted:

http://162.243.138.154/mh/cosmictoday.html

It was good back when it came out, but now it's got the added benefit of intense nostalgic signal boosting it.

Yellow Snowldier made me snort in laughter.

Me: I want to play Marvel Heroes again
Disney: We've got Marvel Heroes at home
The Marvel Heroes at home: Avengers game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

When the game very first launched in beta and was bad and I played it, Wanda's chaos mechanic was part of why I wrote the game off forever and vowed never to play this piece of crap again.

The real way to play Wanda was stack a billion procs. She had a tonne of aoe dots and procced effects like crazy. Have like ngarai demons and brood and poo poo running around for you.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Darke GBF posted:

Me: I want to play Marvel Heroes again
Disney: We've got Marvel Heroes at home
The Marvel Heroes at home: Avengers game

Too true. :smith:

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Strange Matter posted:

http://162.243.138.154/mh/cosmictoday.html

It was good back when it came out, but now it's got the added benefit of intense nostalgic signal boosting it.
This took two hours to download for some reason and it was worth every second.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

HebrewMagic posted:

I remember being blown away when they said "what if Deadpool just didn't have mp"

The preview was so great.

quote:

Spirit?! Are you kidding me?! Alright, let's try this again. To help preserve the AWESOMENESS of how great Deadpool is, he will not use any resource at all and will instead just have a cool picture of his face. Much better.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The first one that really made me go “drat, these guys really made a Marvel game” was Juggernaut’s momentum setup. Made him play differently than any other character, and for sure made him play like Juggernaut.

Juggernaut was my favorite character in this dumb dead game and no other ARPG has anything that plays like he did. :smith:

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

I cosmiced Cyclops before his rework just spamming bouncing beam and I thought it was death at the time but I miss it now so much.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

RosaParksOfDip posted:

The real way to play Wanda was stack a billion procs. She had a tonne of aoe dots and procced effects like crazy. Have like ngarai demons and brood and poo poo running around for you.

I remember when procs could proc procs and stacking them up would result in instant death for anything anywhere before they fixed it. Jean was so OP then.

I remember when Human Toilet could throw bouncing fireballs all over the screen leaving puddles of fire that another ability could blow up and each explosion overlapped and you ended up destroying an entire wave of X-defense (when that was the only thing worth playing) in one cast. But only if you had 0% attack speed buffs. Like, wtf??????

I remember being part of a team of goons that got to like wave 113 or something ridiculous of X-defense without knowingly exploiting bugs and the devs mentioned it in one of their chats. Then goons hit wave 150+ later exploiting a Dr. Strange bug.

Lozareth fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 22, 2020

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

The thing Marvel Heroes captured which no other ARPG has before or since is the wild diversity characters. They basically took the LoL/DotA model of heroes and grafted it onto an ARPG with the added bonus that the Marvel universe is an endless well of inspiration for new additions.

Like, imagine if a Diablo game had 70 classes instead of five or six. It doesn't matter that there's zero balance because there are so many options a player is bound to find a few they enjoy. I'm legit kind of shocked how rarely that concept gets pulled out and put into games that aren't MOBAs cause it's a drat good one.

To be fair. Path of exile has this but it's tied into gems and they actually try to balance them.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Who cares about balance when you can nonstop run and elbow drop every enemy on the map?

men with puns
Feb 8, 2010
Young Orc

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

This took two hours to download for some reason and it was worth every second.

That poor server has been online longer than marvel heroes was and the switch flipper is very tired.

Anyway one of the things I remember the most about that game is that around when squirrel girl launched she had a dodge + counterattack passive skill that was bugged. It was supposed to stack up to ten times, I think, but the amount of stacks you could gain seemed to reset if you changed zones, without clearing your existing stacks. As long as you didn't die or reset your stacks, you could eventually just stand in front of story bosses and they'd beat themselves. It's basically the opposite of fun, engaging gameplay, but it amused me because it seemed like it fit as an explanation for how she mysteriously, canonically, kept defeating villains like Dr Doom.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Holyshoot posted:

To be fair. Path of exile has this but it's tied into gems and they actually try to balance them.

poe is really good. objectively a better game than marble hebrons. but it's not the same thing

each hero was a package of skills, not a mix and match deal like poe. because of that everybody felt very different whereas in poe certain skills get used by many different kinds of builds.

gently caress i want this game to exist again

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I only ever played off and on but every so often I'm like "Man, I could go for some Marvel Heroes right now" and then remember.

Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got til it's gone...

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

I tried to fill the void recently with some MUA but it's just not the same.

I miss my Storm :smith:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
GIVE ME BACK MY SQUIRREL BONES!!!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

GIVE ME BACK MY SQUIRREL BONES!!!

Not before I get my long vagine back

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

hamster ball Thing.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Kheldarn posted:

Not before I get my long vagine back

Do we have a link or screenshot for that? I don't remember the exact occurrence and/or context and since we're on a nosaltia trip while the private server is down for maintenance...

Wasn't it an Emma costume?

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Do we have a link or screenshot for that? I don't remember the exact occurrence and/or context and since we're on a nosaltia trip while the private server is down for maintenance...

Wasn't it an Emma costume?

Storm costume. I don’t have the screen anymore but it was posted in a very old thread. It was not said by the guy who did red circles around every costume and said these were the problem areas to fix.

Which, in hindsight, was super hilarious.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

sgbyou posted:

hamster ball Thing.
I was so happy with Thing's 52 Review. He was a joy to cosmic, running around in his hamster ball, smashing the ground like a giant rock baby man. Plus, Thingcognito was the best costume in the game.

Pretty sure I bought at least two players here the Thing Pants costume just as a joke.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I remember being so proud of getting Cap to cosmic. I feel like though Marvel should hire some of us that spent 500 bucks or more on this game as consults on what to do with future Marvel game properties. First up, name colors.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Strange Matter posted:

Thingcognito was the best costume in the game.

By far!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Diabetic posted:

I remember being so proud of getting Cap to cosmic. I feel like though Marvel should hire some of us that spent 500 bucks or more on this game as consults on what to do with future Marvel game properties. First up, name colors.

It just felt right to smash the ground as Colossus / Thing / Juggernaut and watch the ragdolls of a dozen mafia goons fly all over the screen.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I have a bookmark folder of things for Hideo Shames and a good 50% of it is still Marvel Heroes builds and info

sad!

E: yall

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mj1glC-hM59_6FXMZUTUlYjRIisSxlU3i16doxkAoxc/edit#gid=0

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

MH was the best game, from the insane playerbase and forums to the ridiculous systems and 'balance'. Every patch was a beautiful mix of new things and broken poo poo

Too perfect for this world, we will never see it's like again

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
It was broken in the best way.

"Here, we added a clock! It may never be right, not even twice a day, but it's there!"

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
All other games need to move to a 5PM Friday patch model.

Uh oh... It's... Something like 16x XP? Do they know?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

wE aLwaYs PatCh oN ThuRsdaYs

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Not enough games today respond to their own fuckups with "oh, well here's another two weeks of that event, running concurrent with another, stacking event. Who cares go nuts."

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

They really did bottle chaos then dunk charity hot dogs in it until they were pleaded to stop.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Until a game replicates Midtown Madness + cosmic weekend + 3 other events and multiple stacks of +item find buffs you've had rolling for weeks straight, all conspiring to make a single boss kill hitch for a second and then send like 4 different waves of loot drops out in sequence around you, we will know no joy.

Until a game drops so much loot that you have to stop comparing so you can get to the next boss spawn in time to do it all over again, we will know no peace.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Boon parties were fun as poo poo.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Not enough games today respond to their own fuckups with "oh, well here's another two weeks of that event, running concurrent with another, stacking event. Who cares go nuts."

That was the best and worst poo poo. I'd get anxious from the sheer quantity of loot drops, knowing I had like 5 minutes to sort and stash before the next wave oh poo poo it's starting gently caress it I'll just buy another stash tab.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

If you enjoyed MH for the content and gameplay style, give Last Epoch a shot. It's got a story that isn't complete yet, characters with missing trees (and one of the five characters isn't implemented yet), two different versions of X-Def, a weird system of personal stats buffs and items dropping for skills that aren't in the game. Despite all that, it's really playable and the skill customisation makes for some great variety.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Until a game replicates Midtown Madness + cosmic weekend + 3 other events and multiple stacks of +item find buffs you've had rolling for weeks straight, all conspiring to make a single boss kill hitch for a second and then send like 4 different waves of loot drops out in sequence around you, we will know no joy.

Until a game drops so much loot that you have to stop comparing so you can get to the next boss spawn in time to do it all over again, we will know no peace.

Fiskmas was the best.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

I miss Juggernaut and She-Hulk (who I specced to basically play like Juggernaut). The game felt like a relic of a past age of game design, where stuff was just in there because why not. Things like 3x small/big (RIP), items that procced rarely but for MEGA DAMAGE, collecting hotdogs... Games try real hard to be balanced and polished now, so it was kind of fresh to play something where the design was "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks, just go nuts, have fun".

I will say I'd probably only have a fraction of nostalgia for this game if it weren't for this thread and the increasingly insane O forums. Like an extra ARG layer to the whole thing.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I know it was suboptimal but a Brutal crit build on Moon Knight was so satisfying. Especially when they did that event where you could get a free Legendary weapon (is that what they were called?) and then just return it for Odin Marks and buy the Ultimate Nullifier for him. I think I had an overall brutal hit rate of like 1/3 of all hits would be brutal.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Humerus posted:

I know it was suboptimal but a Brutal crit build on Moon Knight was so satisfying. Especially when they did that event where you could get a free Legendary weapon (is that what they were called?) and then just return it for Odin Marks and buy the Ultimate Nullifier for him. I think I had an overall brutal hit rate of like 1/3 of all hits would be brutal.
Builds where you just counted on bypassing crits and getting insane brutals every now and then were so good

Just giant red numbers and enemies exploding. God drat.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
I miss my cosmic Wolferine so bad you guys, I hope he's doing ok in the infinite void

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Shine posted:

That was the best and worst poo poo. I'd get anxious from the sheer quantity of loot drops, knowing I had like 5 minutes to sort and stash before the next wave oh poo poo it's starting gently caress it I'll just buy another stash tab.

I have anxieties with even the amount of loot in POX but for some reason the first time I went into MM on BW the first few hours of starting MH and just walking into a field of loot explosions, I felt absolutely thrilled