Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Amy Winehouse was overrated. "Rehab" would have been a novelty one-hit-wonder if she wasn't living a tough life in the public eye. She was talented and her death is tragic, but it cemented a legacy because she never had to do a follow-up that people would have ignored or disliked.

That whole mid-aughts retro jazz/r&b thing was kind of minstrely and only produced music for solicitors and boring London media types and I agree with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

gotta love it when whitegirl singers get real low and do that fat Albert voice

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Amy Winehouse was overrated. "Rehab" would have been a novelty one-hit-wonder if she wasn't living a tough life in the public eye.

Agreed.

quote:

She was talented and her death is tragic, but it cemented a legacy because she never had to do a follow-up that people would have ignored or disliked.

I don't know, I liked "Back to Black".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Amy Winehouse was overrated. "Rehab" would have been a novelty one-hit-wonder if she wasn't living a tough life in the public eye. She was talented and her death is tragic, but it cemented a legacy because she never had to do a follow-up that people would have ignored or disliked.
I never bothered listening to any of her other songs when she was alive because I heard Rehab when it was being played everywhere nonstop, and it was not good. Then some time later I heard some of her others and realised that Rehab is actually her worst song by far and I really like her music generally.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Collapsing Farts posted:

Elon Musk has done nothing except shoot garbage into space and then land military contracts to put military satellites into space

All the nerds worshipping at his feet are complete morons. He's just another rich oval office capitalizing on militarization. He's never going to put you into space, only tools of the military.

Elon Musk loving sucks, but we really do try not to throw that word around as a slur (whether or not you're from Australia).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's such a great curse word though. Right up there with "gently caress."

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Solice Kirsk posted:

"gently caress."

Could we not?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

gently caress. the king of slurs

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

More like oldsexless.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
2020 is not good, but it could be a lot worse. In the spring I thought we are all hosed, the stores are gonna be out of food, soon it will be time to put on a gimp mask and kill, like Mad Max & Fallout taught us.

It did not come to that. Yet...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not us, no. But there's projections millions are going to die of hunger due to covid.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
That is not new. There is no food shortage, there never has been (lately). Everyone could be fed, it's just a question of politics.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wanna know whats really gonna gently caress things up? Now that everyone is working form home, companies are going to realize they could off-shore a lot more positions. This isn't speculation, by the way. I'm hearing it a lot from CFOs and CEOs.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wanna know whats really gonna gently caress things up? Now that everyone is working form home, companies are going to realize they could off-shore a lot more positions. This isn't speculation, by the way. I'm hearing it a lot from CFOs and CEOs.

Thank god we have politicians fighting for our right to have to go to work and get sick and die

Keep Americans dead again

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Not to mention automate.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I for one am glad that Iran will soon have the nuclear ability to defend itself and terrify Saudi Arabia at will.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Grouchio posted:

I for one am glad that Iran will soon have the nuclear ability to defend itself and terrify Saudi Arabia at will.

Geopolitics is like mr burns’ diseases

In perfect balance

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I think the food at IKEA is super gross. Even the stuff that's hard to mess up like a corn dog or potato wedges. The entrees remind me of school cafeteria food and the desserts remind me of the terrible sweet section of a chinese buffet.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Twin Peaks is boring and mediocre

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Twin Peaks is boring and mediocre

The worst thing about Twin Peaks is it's fans. And that's coming from one of them.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

The worst thing about Twin Peaks is it's fans. And that's coming from one of them.

its a bunch of weird and funny imagery and a loose story about hokey 90s sci fi new age stuff, the problem is when people assume theres some code or something behind that

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, Lynch may be the most misinterpreted director of all time.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Film critics who declared it The Return movie because they think they're above TV are the worst.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Film critics who declared it The Return movie because they think they're above TV are the worst.

well I'm glad it wasn't treated that way here because the tviv thread was way better than one in cined would have been

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It really was a good thread. Also had probably the best gif of all time:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It's loving baffling that Napoleon Dynamite was popular at all.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I absolutely despise stephen fry

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Henchman of Santa posted:

What?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

David Lynch made the claim that Twin Peaks: The Return was actually an 18 hour movie and now a frequent opinion I encounter is that it was one of the best films of the decade, usually from people with a low opinion of television as a medium.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Gripweed posted:

It's loving baffling that Napoleon Dynamite was popular at all.

It's more baffling that Fox gave it an animated series seven years after the movie came out.

The series was better than the movie, imo.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The cool kids told me Napoleon Dynamite was super funny

In middle school

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

To me Lynch is a genius because his movies scared me more than any horror movie ever did and no, I have no idea what´s exactly going on in Inland Empire or Mulholland Drive. The feeling I get while watching these movies is comparable with how my early youth nightmares felt which is hard to explain. Even some scenes that should not be scary at all all can make me feel uncomfortable. I stopped trying to analyse his movies, because I think he never made them with some kind of overarching meaning and it's all pretty intuitive which happen to hit the right spots in my brain

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Napoleon Dynamite was loving terrible, but I don't see how it's popularity is confusing. It tapped into a bunch of trendy bullshit at the time. A Wes Anderson movie for complete idiots is exactly what the world wanted.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

British rap is superior.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Lynch doesn't have some huge secret message behind his work but he does comment on social issues and anxieties that are easy to pick up on i.e. around fatherhood in eraserhead or the violent misogyny of society in twin peaks

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Yeah i figure that but there are some crazy people out there analyzing every single object in his scenes and considering them important pieces of a bigger puzzle that has to be solved to truly understand the movie

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Napoleon Dynamite was loving terrible, but I don't see how it's popularity is confusing. It tapped into a bunch of trendy bullshit at the time. A Wes Anderson movie for complete idiots is exactly what the world wanted.

every wes anderson movie is a wes anderson movie for idiots

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

veni veni veni posted:

yeah that was a weird period where terrible indie movies like Napoleon Dynamite, Juno, Little Miss Sunshine, etc. made it big. People complain about Marvel movies but at least they stopped that poo poo.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

They were OK vOv

Maybe not Little Miss Sunshine. I don't know if I saw all of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I liked Juno a lot, but I was 15 and have had no desire to revisit it.